Sending video/audio of loiterers to police — Brooklynian

Sending video/audio of loiterers to police

Hi everyone.

I just got sick of the noisy loiterers who destroyed my window garden, throw trash by my door and talk loud right under my window in front of my building. I just set up my computer camera and microphone to record all the activity.

These people sometimes, drink, but sometimes they just sit there all night laughing with babies screaming, running in and out of the building. Some of these people live here, and others I know are either related to or know the occupants of the building really well enough to stand out there and cackle all night. Its two apartments in my building that are really responsible for bringing these people here. There is a sign on my building that says "No loitering or trespassing". The problem is calling the police never works. They either drive by or ignore the calls.

My questions are:

a) Will police actually look at a burned CD or USB showing video of the loiterers and are they likely to respond?

b) The recording equipment is in my apartment and is propped up and taped to my window to view the doorway of my building. I will be videotaping loiterers, but I may get random folks who walk up and down the street, or people entering and leaving the building. I did put up a sign stating that I am doing this, and I am sending the loiterers images and voices to the police and building management company. I need to know am I within my rights to record these activities?

Comments

• So lomg as you are recording folks on public streets, sidewalks, or spaces, you have every right to do so. You also are within your rights in providing the recordings to the police.

• Are the police still giving tickets for loitering? I thought there was an issue about its constitutionality. The highest courts issued rulings on it. There was some problem with this not being reflected in practice. Then, more lawsuits, legislative foot-dragging, NYPD found in contempt of court. Big mess. No?

• I feel that the only solution to your problem would be to move, or wait until they move. If and when they find out you're recording/calling the police on them constantly I bet there will be more trouble for you than loud neighbors.

You said that the police don't do anything now, that's not because they don't believe you or need pictures of the offenders, it's because they most likely can't be bothered for such a call or are to busy.

How long have you been living there? How about them? Have you attempted to build a relationship with the people you live around? Have you spoken to them about the noise and your window garden?

• I say use the videotape in court against your landlord.

Not sure why the police will do, although it might work. They seem pretty ambivalent about most things here.

I can totally relate to your concern. Out of the two buildings my landlord owns next door to each other, one says no loitering, but where I live it does not. People constantly sit on the stoop talking loudly. It is frustrating to me cause there is a park not far at all. Why you want to hang around on the stoop underneath my window is just obnoxious. There are also nice park benches all along Eastern parkway as well. Unfortunately, this is what it is to deal with inconsiderate people.

• I think Rezist has a very good perspective, and one I share.

• Considering it took the 72nd Pct a MONTH to look at video of an attempted rape on 16th St, I'd say no.

Take it to CB7 and see if the Dist. Mgr can get it to DI Pintos or have it go through the Public Saftey Committee. 718-854-0003

• lostingreenwoodhts said:

Considering it took the 72nd Pct a MONTH to look at video of an attempted rape on 16th St, I'd say no.

Take it to CB7 and see if the Dist. Mgr can get it to DI Pintos or have it go through the Public Saftey Committee. 718-854-0003

Thanks,

I sent it to the management, and it seems to be working, the folks are no longer standing outside my window.... at least for NOW.

• rezist said:

I feel that the only solution to your problem would be to move, or wait until they move. If and when they find out you're recording/calling the police on them constantly I bet there will be more trouble for you than loud neighbors.

You said that the police don't do anything now, that's not because they don't believe you or need pictures of the offenders, it's because they most likely can't be bothered for such a call or are to busy.

How long have you been living there? How about them? Have you attempted to build a relationship with the people you live around? Have you spoken to them about the noise and your window garden?

Yes I have spoken to them several times. They listen for awhile and then went back to their antics. I spoke to them right after they killed my garden. Right now the management thing seems to be working though. I appears that there is one old time tenant, that brings these folks here to hang out all night.

Also: Moving is not that easy. I will eventually move. I am hoping to go to Park Slope. Being poor sucks, especially when you have dignity and pride in how you conduct yourself. What is wrong with being poor, yet still deciding NOT to be loud/ obnoxious and property destroying. The China Town, in my area is also poor, but you have to see their little vegetable gardens and they way they behave. Dignity, and self pride. It goes a long way.

This discussion has been closed.