The battle for control over Brower Park?
  • I'm taking a little bit of salt with the accuracy of this article.

• Ditto. I put a ? mark for that reason.

...but I can't say I spend a lot of time in Brower Park.

• I live around the corner from the park and walk past it twice a day. My neighbors -- two of whom walk their dog there daily -- and I were all surprised by this article. None of us has seen or heard of such activity. The Daily News seems to be going overboard with the park battle stories this week.

• They said the same thing about Sunset park too, which I didn't believe at first either. Then there was a double homicide and another shooting. Soon after, some insiders confirmed there were gangs wars/drugs/muggings there happening all the time - esp at nightfall.

• I think there are murders once and while inside most of the city's medium to large size parks.

As I read this article, this seems to be an issue that the police are aware of and are working on.

...they are preventing kids who are skipping school from getting too comfortable, and making them move all the time.

...they are enforcing rules that people are not allowed in the park after dark.

And, in classic NY style, some people are stating that the police are harassing them and other people are stating that the police are not doing enough.

• whynot_31 said:

And, in classic NY style, some people are stating that the police are harassing them and other people are stating that the police are not doing enough.

And both could very well be right.

• whynot_31 said:

And both could very well be right.

• Very true, Eastbloc.

I'm sure one can even find PATTERNS of the police not doing enough to clean up the park, or harassing people. Often, it comes down to what you want to find. Or what you want to fund. Or what you are willing to have happen in order to have a "clean" park.

Hmmmm.

• It seems more than just the Daily New thinks the park has issues.

S. O. S. Crown Heights is organizing a demonstration around the park in a show of unity and concern. All are encouraged to take part, show support and reclaim your park and your neighborhood!

The event will take place Wednesday, September 28th, 2011 at 6:00pm.

For more information contact soscrownheights.org, yosos.org or 718 773-6886/718 679-9413

source: http://www.examiner.com/crown-heights-in-new-york/unity-for-brower-park

• cremate said:

They said the same thing about Sunset park too, which I didn't believe at first either. Then there was a double homicide and another shooting. Soon after, some insiders confirmed there were gangs wars/drugs/muggings there happening all the time - esp at nightfall.

Yes!

What is absolutely funny is that most of the oblivious people are folks who don't frequent the parks when stuff like this takes place. Late at night Sunset Park is REALLY SCARY, with prostitution and other gang stuff. I had the crazy idea with an ex boyfriend of having a romantic evening under the stars in that park, and we both hightailed it out of there, when we witnessed what were obvious transactions.

A long time ago I was offered a place on the corner by Brower Park. One look at that place and I chose here. Sorry if the above statement offends folks, but 4 years ago, what I witnessed going on there IN THE DAYTIME, was enough for me not to sign a lease. It may be different now, but wow back then!

• I remember well in the early 80's taking an occasional late night stroll through Prospect Park near PPW. I was just trying to test my "manstuff". Never did see anything interesting but it sure was exhilarating. Nobody ever ventured into Prospect Park in those days after dark unless they were looking for trouble. The same was true of Central Park as well I'm told.

Nowadays, when was the last time you ever heard of someone not taking an apartment near PPW because they were afraid of being near the park.

Sometimes being an older fart has it's advantages.

• Capt-

Although you don't go into the park at night, you are quite involved with that part of CH.

Are there presently "big problems" in Brower Park at night?

• S.O.S., Friends of Brower Park, and KAMA (The Kingston Avenue Merchants Association), local clergy and other community members plan to take part in the "demonstration" tonight, 9/28/11 in Brower Park. This is in response to the "questionable" tone espoused in the Daily News article.

The article was prompted by a shooting that took place in Brower Park in August during the "Movie Night Out" showing of MegaMind. The shooting (just outside of the park) caused families, teens, seniors, and wheel-chair bound participants, who were watching the movie, to leave the park and not finish enjoying the screening.

While I am not a member of S.O.S., this demonstration is to show that we, as a community, will not be deterred from using our park and fostering a healthy environment with which to enjoy the park. It is NOT a demonstration to exclude ANY group, especially youth.

One of the biggest problems with youth malaise in this (and cities all over the country) is the loss of youth centers that were in the province of the commons. Typically, NYC opened after school centers, where youth could play basketball, nok-hockey, checkers, chess, and just hang out in a non-threatening environment. Since the budget shortfalls of the early 90's, followed by the accidental electrocution of a young man in South Brooklyn a few years ago, the city has locked down access to schools and parks.(The deceased young man and friends had entered the park after it was closed.)

Along with schools, NYC park centers have become overburdened (for example St. Johns Recreation Center) with high usage and staff cutbacks. The high cost of health clubs place them out of reach to most low and middle-income families in the present economic environment.

• Although the Brower Park Boyz were pretty stupid to put their exploits on Facebook, it sounds as if the police did a lot of work to document their alleged crimes.

I'd like us to simultaneously increase funding for the types of programs bklyn50 describes, and see more of this somewhat clever enforcement from the NYPD.

Until then, hopefully crime will drop in the area as result of this investigation.

• The briefing the police held for the press re: the arrests:

P.S. After watching the press conference, it seems like the DA's office will have it easier than the defense attorneys in these cases.

• Based on similar cases of youth posting their criminal exploits on Facebook, the NYPD is expanding the unit that monitors Facebook activity:

Associated Press

NEW YORK — The New York Police Department is planning to double the size of its gang unit to 300 detectives to combat teen violence fueled by dares and insults traded on social media.

Rather than target established street gangs involved in the drug trade, the reinforcements will focus mainly on "looser associations of younger men who identify themselves by the block they live on, or on which side of a housing development they reside," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said in prepared remarks.

"Their loyalty is to their friends living in a relatively small area and their rivalries are based not on narcotics trafficking or some other entrepreneurial interest, but simply on local turf," Kelly added. "In other words, 'You come in to my backyard and you get hurt. You diss my crew and you pay the price.'"

The remarks were provided in advance of Kelly's appearance Tuesday in San Diego at a gathering of the International Association of Chiefs of Police.

Under the new plan, the NYPD gang unit will work more closely with other divisions that monitor social media for signs of trouble.

Kelly cited a recent case in which investigators used Facebook to track a turf war between two Brooklyn crews named the Very Crispy Gangsters and the Rockstars. The case resulted in dozens of arrests for shootings and other mayhem.

"By capitalizing on the irresistible urge of these suspects to brag about their murderous exploits on Facebook, detectives used social media to draw a virtual map of their criminal activity over the last three years," Kelly said.

Detectives have seen instances where a gang member has taunted rivals by circulating a photo of himself posing in front of their apartment building. Orders of protection also have been posted as a means of intimidation, Kelly said.

The NYPD has developed strict guidelines for investigators using social networks "to instill the proper balance between the investigative potential of social network sites and privacy expectations," Kelly said.

The rules allow officers to adopt aliases for their online work as long as they first get permission from the department. They also will use special laptops that protect their anonymity.

Staffing for the expanded unit will come from gradual redeployment from other areas of the department, not from new hires.

http://online.wsj.com/article/APf4acf9cc1ae24ee2a7479a8a08973392.html?mod=WSJ_NY_LEFTAPHeadlines

• So how do the cops have access to your content:

1. Do you have to friend them?

2. Do they just prey on public info?

3. Did Facebook give them a deal that they could have "admin" access to everything, or something of the like?

• 1. Yes

2. Yes

3. No

I'll bet anything that the cops simply put up fake profiles, send out friend requests and then sit back and watch what happens. You'd be shocked at the numbers of teens who friend any and everybody that they get a friend request from. They are all freaking narcissists

and don't understand the concept of discretion (cause if they did would they be posting about their crimes on FB to begin with?)Considering some of these kids fancy themselves to be artists of one stripe or another, I'm sure if you started liking folks YouTube videos and then graduated to facebook, it'd be easy peasy.

• Damn, and all this time I really thought these supermodels wanted to be my friend

• Epicly, I predict very few detectives are creating avatars that resemble those of Sport Illustrated swimsuit models, and far more are just creating profiles of 17 year olds that claim to go to school just outside of the suspect's range of knowledge.

In otherwords, I don't think the super models want to arrest you. In this regard, they are safe.

Protip: Befriend the less popular kids first, then work your way up to the kid you want. People tend to friend people who already have friends they know, under the belief that they are legit. ....then, just sit back and have a copy of Urban Dictionary available. http://www.urbandictionary.com/

• I guess its just the conspiracy theorist inside me thinking.

I wouldn't be surprised if law enforcement did have inside info from facebook. This is a huge corporation (with lobbyists going both directions) and the gov't has shown it has no qualms about breaking rules (and faces) to get what it wants.

• In this instance, it may be easier for law enforcement to follow the law than to break it.

For example, search the name of your favorite NYC youth gang into YouTube. Watch the videos. Read the comments posted by their friends.

Based on the friend's friend list on twitter, facebook or myspace (yes, people still use myspace), figure out the nicknames and real name of a kid.

For extra fun, show the youtube videos to local crime victims. They might be able to connect the characters to crimes. If not, create a list of the real names of various youth crews for use after future crimes.

whynot_31 said:

The NY Post obtained a copy of the NYPD's list of youth gangs.

Here is said list:

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2012/09/04/media/NYYouthCrews.pdf

Here is article about said list:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/gang_slang_ers_7dHsLqgaKszwQmCI9Z7quN

• As seen in this video from March 16, 2013, the Chief of the 77th pct continues to credit the drop in local burglaries to breaking up this youth gang.

http://prospectheights.patch.com/articles/precinct-chief-discusses-burglaries-in-77th-precinct#video-13688401

Pro-tip: Warm weather is coming. Burglaries tend to rise. Take precautions.

• They call themselves the Brower Boys? And they took pictures of the stolen goods and posted them of Facebook? What a bunch of tools.

The police should also lock up the parents of the young kids (14, 15, 16) in this group, as the existence of the group didn't seem to be much of a secret.

• Few of the groups listed in the NY Post article can be considered secret.

So far in this thread we have been talking about doing investigative work that largely relies on Detectives using mildly sophisticated techniques of tracking down criminals on the internet.

This article talks about the next level. The use of facial recognition software to match surveillance photos of suspects to photos that people post on Instagram and Facebook.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130325/new-york-city/high-tech-nypd-unit-tracks-criminals-through-facebook-instragram-photos

Given the widespread use of surveillance cameras, people who participate in crimes may be wise to ever post a photo that is associated with their name.

....decades ago, the NYPD Pcts bought copies of every annual year book put out by every local high school, and then had to manually match photos. ....no longer!

• Apparently, these 63 people arrested in E Harlem don't read Brooklynian.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130404/east-harlem/crackdown-on-gang-war-nets-63-accused-of-terrorizing-east-harlem

If they had, they would know that the police are watching social media sites for people people to incriminate themselves.

• Facebook is quickly becoming a method in which youth (and adults...) incriminate themselves in criminal activities.

Police across the country are using it to gather evidence. This link talks about how users need to be educated on the potential consequences of posting one's criminal exploits on social media:

http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=7cf6da98edca8f1faa6b3409f&id=407b67d90d&e=a9a726439d

• WOW! I didn't realize this was going on at that park. Seems quiet when I stroll by. Yes, the silly people are allowing themselves to go on Facebook and Youtube posting content that will not favor them in the end. Check this out guys!

http://us6.campaign-archive1.com/?u=7cf6da98edca8f1faa6b3409f&id=407b67d90d&e=a9a726439d

I have a program called Social Media For Kids and boy oh boy do we warn students about the social networking world. Many things youngsters (and adults) post are just wild and nuts.

• Garnett, the park and its surrounding area has gotten much, much better since the summer of 2011, when this thread began.

I have mixed feelings about it:

I root for the police to catch criminals, but think back at my own adolescence.

....in high school (circa 1987), my friends and I would describe our exploits (i.e. criminal behavior) to each other as we drank rum fortified fruit punch on the steps of the school auditorium. The police couldn't hear us. Most of us now lead productive lives.

Today, the kids talk about their exploits on Facebook....

• May 22, 2013, the cops involved in making this bust received awards today:

http://prospectheights.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/prospect-heights-cop-honored-by-da

• Whynot, this is the part of that article that really caught my eye: "Since the takedown, burglary in the 77th Precinct has gone down nearly 60 percent."

Good job, officers!

• I can't say I miss them either.

Patch wrote: In one incident, four members of the gang committed a violent home invasion. They entered the home with their faces covered with ski masks or bandanas, and tied up a male and female resident. Then they each sexually assaulted the female resident while she was blindfolded, with her arms and hands bound.

• Brower Park gets friends:

Friends of Brower Park

• The park is embraced. Programming that targets families is provided.

• Brower Park video...

• whynot_31 said:

Apparently, these 63 people arrested in E Harlem don't read Brooklynian.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130404/east-harlem/crackdown-on-gang-war-nets-63-accused-of-terrorizing-east-harlem

If they had, they would know that the police are watching social media sites for people people to incriminate themselves.

• Apparently the police are unaware that they same "new" technology they use to catch criminals can be used against them, to investigate whether they are truly entitle to disability payments:

Oh the irony....

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook