You think the gay community would be a little bit more sensitive. guess not. — Brooklynian

You think the gay community would be a little bit more sensitive. guess not.

Gay people love to talk about the diversity of our "community." But sometimes our actions fail to measure up to our words.

Recently, the queer Asian community in New York City was outraged by plans for a new gay party to be called "Mr. Wong's Dong Emporium." The event, conceived by Joey Izrael and the gay rapper Cazwell, was advertised using highly offensive language and stereotypes about Asian Americans, including a "Sum Hung Boys erotic dance troupe" and a "Happy Ending massage den."

To add insult to injury, when members of the queer Asian community spoke up and objected to this party, many non-Asian gay men dismissed these concerns by saying that it was just campy fun and that we needed to "lighten up."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-patrick-s-cheng-phd/mr-wongs-dong-emporium-ar_b_977220.html

Comments

  • I agree with the Rev. Cheng. When I look back on some of the comedy sketches from my youth (i.e. thirty-five years ago), there were many sketches that we now recognize as racist. I am not Asian, but I am queer, and while these words might seem to be harmless puns to the authors, they need to try to step back and hear them through the ears of the asian community. It is not about being overly sensitive, it is about being sick of being the butt of other people's jokes. When was the last time you heard an Irish/Kerryman/Polish joke? These have been rightly consigned to the dustbin of history. It is not just about what is said, it is also about what is heard. You might think you're saying something funny, but what is being heard is an affirmation that this particular group in our community is deserving of ridicule.

  • armchair_warrior said:

    Gay people love to talk about the diversity of our "community." But sometimes our actions fail to measure up to our words.

    Recently, the queer Asian community in New York City was outraged by plans for a new gay party to be called "Mr. Wong's Dong Emporium." The event, conceived by Joey Izrael and the gay rapper Cazwell, was advertised using highly offensive language and stereotypes about Asian Americans, including a "Sum Hung Boys erotic dance troupe" and a "Happy Ending massage den."

    To add insult to injury, when members of the queer Asian community spoke up and objected to this party, many non-Asian gay men dismissed these concerns by saying that it was just campy fun and that we needed to "lighten up."

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-patrick-s-cheng-phd/mr-wongs-dong-emporium-ar_b_977220.html

    I thought you were against political correctness.

    Is that only when it doesn't apply to Asian men?

  • PC is mostly worthless for groups that have political power and has media representation.

    That usually leaves out asian males.

  • I still don't understand.

    Shouldn't you support the gay group's right to mock Asians?

    Surely you don't have a double standard when it comes to your own race, right?

  • it's easier to elect a gay guy in the us than asian guy and its easier to put a gay guy on tv than a asian guy lol.

    don't think too hard. at this point you're just trolling. lol if you weren't a mod you'll be given a warning to yourself.

  • you're completely ignoring the question.

  • i answer you and you just ignore it like most post and i after that ignore your answers. than you would claim i didn't answer. really bad logic.

  • armchair_warrior said:

    it's easier to elect a gay guy in the us than asian guy and its easier to put a gay guy on tv than a asian guy lol.

    What about that gay asian guy, Vern Vip? Didn't I see him on TV?


  • alot of people think asian guys are gay to begin with. remember that asian or gay issue of some lame ass magazine. people can't tell the difference between straight asian guys and gay guys.

    asian males can't pretend they aren't asian, and white/black males can pretend they aren't gay. asian guys can pretend to be gay though!!!!!

    the white/black guys can get elected to office easily and be put on tv.

    yet they have to dress white guys on so many straight asian roles and characters, but naturally asians guys are gay so they'll throw in a occasional gay asian designer guy on tv. since gay guys make good designers etc.. might as well throw in super gay man!!!

    if they did that with black roles/characters on tv and movies these days, people would be super outraged!!!!

    point is i have humor you guys long enough use some brains. I humor bg way too much. so he gets no more :p. whynot i can humor a bit more :p.

  • Isn't Mr Liu our Comptroller?

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Liu

    I've always thought of him as Asian and good with numbers.

    I guess I've never wondered whether he is gay or straight.

  • For BG and his meme clones.


  • When you say I am "trolling", do you mean to say that I am pointing out that the situation you describe is not always the case?

    ...and that I can quickly think of exceptions?

  • you're just found exceptions to the rule. there is always exceptions to the rule lol. its like finding a genius in a population of millions of morons. you're bound to find one from sheer statistics.

  • that's just reserved for bg and his meme trolls. He always claims I didn't answer him. I gave him a answer he didn't have to like the answer. but i gave him one. yet I answer him a few times on that post.

  • at what point are there so many exceptions, that you should let go of the rule?

  • You know who really throws off my gaydar? European men, germans in particular. While there with some local friends we tested gaydars on some bartenders and everyone I would have sworn was gay wasn't and vice versa. It was bizarre.

    Personally I have no such problem with Asian men.

  • armchair_warrior said:

    i answer you and you just ignore it like most post and i after that ignore your answers. than you would claim i didn't answer. really bad logic.

    No you didn't.

    I asked: Why do you care about this political correctness issue?

    And you answered:

    "it's easier to elect a gay guy in the us than asian guy and its easier to put a gay guy on tv than a asian guy lol."

    Yeah no, you didn't answer it.

    Either you can make fun of races or you can't.

    If you think un-PC humor should be allowed, Asian people aren't special and above teasing.

  • Tate-

    In the US, some of the men who are best dressed and take the most pride in their personal grooming are gay.

    ...having gotten used to sloppy, beer drinking, unshaven, t-shirt wearing heterosexuals, do you wonder when a man takes pride in his appearance?

    (me too)

  • The presidency would be nice wouldn't it? or have tons of people represented in the media or have a special called "Being Asian in America" on CNN :p be nice too.

    Maybe get some Affirmative Action help instead of Getting points off in school admissions

    no longer see some white guy on fox trying to mock asians. they wouldn't even think about doing a show like about blacks? (you remember one of my post about it not too long ago) people in the media still don't think about it.

    when asians become truly accepted and voted in by the general population that doesn't have a large ethnic asian population. and media that stops looking to whiten asian roles. sure than have white guys play asian roles or make fun of asians. but that time isn't here yet.

    Asians are fully accepted yet into society. When Americans stop thinking of asians as ethnics sure. I'm not talking about guys like me straight off the boat. I'm talking about people like my cousins. who were born here tall and big. Who are articulate, who acts like the general white population.

    Who gets ask which country they are from? lol they are big and tall as Americans, speaks like the general pubic throws people off. confuses them hmmmmm can't figure out which country these folks are from.....

    Would be nice to have someone like Barack or Morgan Freeman(playing a character base on a white guy on some lame ass dolphin story). or Race baiter like Al Sharpton on tv.

    One day lol. but not today. When asians are part of the power structure and no longer 3rd thought. not even worth a second thought on the decision makers minds.

  • armchair_warrior said:

    PC is mostly worthless for groups that have political power and has media representation.

    That usually leaves out asian males.

    Asian political power is probably one of the strongest in NYC if not most major cities in America. While I understand the gay slur argument (an argument which I think is silly and should be taken in some humor) I have never understood your argument/insinuation that outside of some one-on-one harassment, the Man is out for Asian blood.

  • Whynot,

    The levels of grooming and US cultural associations are a very large part of it. My experiences have also been that within certain regions of Europe there can be far less emphasis on gender specific accessories, such as the use of more flowy scarves.

    Now of course the hipster style has used this "Tight Jeans For Everyone" and "Here's a scarf, There's a scarf" approach so I could possibly be better at determining sex preference in a random German bar these days.

  • Why is Affirmative Action structure against Asians? If the man isn't out to get Asians?

    This doesn't just happen over night. Courts in many parts of the country rule AA isn't fair to Asian students. yet school admissions find new ways to get around it. It takes effort on their part and time and coordination.

  • Tate-

    For a long time, I had a sloppy dressing gay co-worker. I was always amazed that he found dates.

    He, of course, was similarly amazed when I found dates.

  • Maybe get some Affirmative Action help instead of Getting points off in school admissions

    Are you familiar with the program Early Steps? It's mission is to: "...increase racial diversity in New York City’s independent schools. Since 1986, EARLY STEPS has partnered with families and schools to place children of Black, Latino, American Indian and Asian backgrounds in kindergarten and first grade."

    There are programs out there that can be helpful to all non-whites, essentially.

    http://www.earlysteps.org/FAQs

  • ?We have no problem with the Berkeley College Republicans' bake sale yesterday, or at least with the young GOPers' right to make an issue of anything they wish. (Yes, it is ironic that so-called lefties would seek to shut them down rather than grant them the freedom of speech liberals so take for granted).

    In fact we're happy they brought it up. The idea was that cookies would cost $2 for whites, $1.50 for Asians, $1 for Latinos, 75 cents for African Americans and 25 cents for Native Americans. The sale was staged to protest legislation under consideration that would let UC schools consider ethnicity (but not weigh it favorably -- just consider it) in admissions.

    Here the thing: Those young Republicans almost got it right. They just can't do math. Consider if the cookies were based how much each ethnicity eats:

    If those cookies were really based on how much you, the taxpayer, spends on each UC student every year, about $13,540 (PDF; we'll reduce it $13.50 to scale it more toward bake-sale numbers), here's what each ethnicity would have to fork out for their cookies:

    -Asians would pay $4.86.

    -Whites would pay $3.86.

    -Latinos would pay $3.15.

    -African Americans would pay 51 cents.

    -International students would pay $1.96.

    -And Native Americans would pay 9 cents.

    maybe they should of hired a asian guy to do the math!!!

    http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2011/09/berkeley_cookie_diversity_uc_latino_asian_white.php

  • I am not sure I would buy a cookie from a college republican, no matter what the price.

    I am loyal to the Girl Scouts.

  • tate you're not familiar with the longer history of asians suing the public school system in nyc for not letting enough asians in because too many pass those damn test for those specialize schools.

  • I cannot speak for UC Berkeley. At the high school I attended international students were not given an financial aid. Students from the U.S. could apply for aid that was given out on an as needed basis. As with most private schools, racial diversity was important so efforts were made to have students come from all walks of life. There were also the occasional scholarship gift to, say, allow Native American students to attend.

    I'm sure if a run down was taken by race, Asian students would be paying more money since almost the entirety of the Asian population were international students and therefore received no financial aid. While a large number of white students paid the full costs there were also a number that received aid so the percentage of total money paid by whites as a group would be less than the Asians.

    Point being: There are some distinct correlations that are being assumed by the Berkeley Republicans that may not have and causation without further looking at details such as who has access to financial aid in general.

  • tate you're not familiar with the longer history of asians suing the public school system in nyc for not letting enough asians in because too many pass those damn test for those specialize schools.

    That's true. The only kids I knew personally who went to Stuyvesant, Bronx Science, or Brooklyn Tech were not Asian.

    The fact that some Asians are not accepted to allow for a more diverse learning environment is nothing new and not surprising. It happens the other way all the time where a more academically qualified white student may not get accepted so there will be room for a less academically advanced minority student. As a white person I have come to accept this without question. School is not just for learning academics. There is a great deal of socialization that occurs there that can only benefit from a diverse community.

  • armchair_warrior said:

    The presidency would be nice wouldn't it? or have tons of people represented in the media or have a special called "Being Asian in America" on CNN :p be nice too.

    Maybe get some Affirmative Action help instead of Getting points off in school admissions

    no longer see some white guy on fox trying to mock asians. they wouldn't even think about doing a show like about blacks? (you remember one of my post about it not too long ago) people in the media still don't think about it.

    when asians become truly accepted and voted in by the general population that doesn't have a large ethnic asian population. and media that stops looking to whiten asian roles. sure than have white guys play asian roles or make fun of asians. but that time isn't here yet.

    Asians are fully accepted yet into society. When Americans stop thinking of asians as ethnics sure. I'm not talking about guys like me straight off the boat. I'm talking about people like my cousins. who were born here tall and big. Who are articulate, who acts like the general white population.

    Who gets ask which country they are from? lol they are big and tall as Americans, speaks like the general pubic throws people off. confuses them hmmmmm can't figure out which country these folks are from.....

    Would be nice to have someone like Barack or Morgan Freeman(playing a character base on a white guy on some lame ass dolphin story). or Race baiter like Al Sharpton on tv.

    One day lol. but not today. When asians are part of the power structure and no longer 3rd thought. not even worth a second thought on the decision makers minds.

    So this is your explanation for why jokes about other races are ok, but not ok about Asians?

  • This is a fascinating debate.

    I think that AW is attempting to reveal a double standard ... It is curious how the gay community takes offense with what many might consider a simple joke, but such language has been deemed increasingly toxic in our social landscape. For this particular community to make seemingly harmless but insensitive jokes about Asians is rather hypocritical and calls their "tone down the anti-gay jokes" agenda into question.

    I don't often say this, but I find myself agreeing with some of what AW is saying. The debate over the "Bamboo Ceiling" is fascinating. Check out this post

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/vishakha-n-desai/overcoming-the-bamboo-cei_b_654431.html

    While AW might not be articulating his points as best possible, he does raise some interesting points.

  • I'm still trying to figure out when it is and isn't ok to be politically correct.

    And anyone who thinks one group of oppressed or marginalized people won't be biased or bigoted towards another hasn't been paying attention to world history.

This discussion has been closed.