This site is closed to new comments and posts.

Notice: This site uses cookies to function.
If you are not comfortable with cookies then please don't browse this website.

Question re: quoting in a post — Brooklynian

Question re: quoting in a post

I couldn't find this answer in the FAQs, so I'm asking it here. Even though I'm currently a regular, even newbies can do this and I can't. When I quote someone's post, I copy the text, then use the "quote" button on the highlighted text. Why does it always say quote: rather than name of quoted person wrote: before the quoted text? What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Subject: Re: Question re: quoting in a post

iowagirl wrote: I couldn't find this answer in the FAQs, so I'm asking it here. Even though I'm currently a regular, even newbies can do this and I can't. When I quote someone's post, I copy the text, then use the "quote" button on the highlighted text. Why does it always say quote: rather than name of quoted person wrote: before the quoted text? What am I doing wrong?
    If you want to quote someone, the easiest way is to click the quote button on the initial post that you're quoting (at the top right corner of every post). Then the person will be quoted (with attribution) automatically. If you don't want to quote the entire thing, just delete the part you want to leave out later.
    If you want to quote manually, you can use the quote button after you hit "post reply", but this will give you a generic quote. If you want to attribute the quote to someone, it should take the form:
    (quote="name of person you're quoting")this is where the quoted text goes.(/quote)
    Of course the above should be with brackets ( [] <--- these things) instead of parentheses, but if I typed it that way, it would just do the quote instead of telling you how to do it.
    If you do it that way the quote will appear like this:
    name of person you're quoting wrote: this is where the quoted text goes.
  • Subject: Re: Question re: quoting in a post

Carnivore wrote: [quote=iowagirl]I couldn't find this answer in the FAQs, so I'm asking it here. Even though I'm currently a regular, even newbies can do this and I can't. When I quote someone's post, I copy the text, then use the "quote" button on the highlighted text. Why does it always say quote: rather than name of quoted person wrote: before the quoted text? What am I doing wrong?
    If you want to quote someone, the easiest way is to click the quote button on the initial post that you're quoting (at the top right corner of every post). Then the person will be quoted (with attribution) automatically. If you don't want to quote the entire thing, just delete the part you want to leave out later.
    If you want to quote manually, you can use the quote button after you hit "post reply", but this will give you a generic quote. If you want to attribute the quote to someone, it should take the form:
    (quote="name of person you're quoting")this is where the quoted text goes.(/quote)
    Of course the above should be with brackets ( [] <--- these things) instead of parentheses, but if I typed it that way, it would just do the quote instead of telling you how to do it.
    If you do it that way the quote will appear like this:
    name of person you're quoting wrote: this is where the quoted text goes.
    like this?

Holy cow, I never even noticed that button before. Thanks. That will save valuable posting time.

And what a speedy reply!