Why are white guys still allow to write racist shit like this on main stream — Brooklynian

Why are white guys still allow to write racist shit like this on main stream

media? Think about it if it said Jewish folks or black folks etc.. I think there would be a firestorm. Seems to be a product only privilege white people should be using.

also this rich cheap bastard could of just gotten like all privilege people buy on it ebay, if you want some thing that bad.

CRAP: It's Only 7:38AM And The iPhone Line Is Still Hours Long — Because Asian Folks Are Scarfing Them Up

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-buying-iphones-2011-10?

Henry Blodget is CEO and Editor-in-Chief of Business Insider.

Comments

• why are you a hypocrite when it comes to political correctness?

• Am I, Am I?

As I stated many times when Asians are accepted as others before them sure why the hell not. we would love to have the same level of representation as Jews or Blacks. but not there yet.

Once we are, we can be made fun of etc.. hey if you're part of the political process and power, therefore you can be made fun of.

• If you weren't mod i would be saying you are trolling me through so many threads I already gave you answer for. anyway I'm gonna ignore you and etc...

you're obviously the better enlighten privileged man who knows better and what's better for everyone.

• so until Asians get fair representation on tv and in Hollywood, they can't be made fun of?

Black people, gay people and anyone else, however, is fair game?

Ok dude.

• Boygabriel said:

so until Asians get fair representation on tv and in Hollywood, they can't be made fun of?

Black people, gay people and anyone else, however, is fair game?

Ok dude.

they get fair representation unless you been living in a rock in some fantasy land where you don't think they do LOL. Even a racist like Al Sharpton has his own freaking show. Gay people on tons of shows. They get elected all the time and in true positions of power.

The president of the US? does that ring a bell?

For a highly educated population(I'm talking about americans who happen to be Asians not immigrants). how many of them are in manager or ceo posistions yet they fill up the ranks of ivy league schools.

yes master you right, you be big boss!!! we have a whiteman in the white house who happens to sport dark tan on etc....

Think about it, would that guy said the same thing about Jews and Blacks or Gays for that matter on that article. I think not and you know they wouldn't of said the same thing.

Once that happens, I'll go sit in my corner and not make a peep.

Also damn been trolled again!!!

• First, I also thought Blodget (for a man of his position in online news media) did blunder in terms of the way he described the situation.

That said, the situation he describes does exist, is a documented phenomenon, has been going on for some time now and is just a function of real world black-market capitalism.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/23/technology/23iphone.html

To sum it up, the iPhone 4S has not launched in China and will not for several months. As a result, as in prior years described in the article above, black market iPhone 4S phones sell for over $1000 each there in the interim, paid in cash.

It's already well documented with these new releases that Chinese profit-seekers have their buyers line up to buy as many iPhone 4S handsets as they are able to in order for immediate shipping and resale back in China.

There are no doubt people from other not-yet-launched countries doing the same but the market and financial demand for this in China is so large that there is a significantly-sized crowd of China-market buyers that line up daily at the crack of dawn to make sure they are at the front of the line.

Nothing racist about that, or about reporting about it.

Blodget just let his frustrations about the average person losing out (to what appeared to be the usual large groups of resellers buying in bulk, not even for themselves) get the better of how he otherwise may have reported it.

• jeffery wrote: Nothing racist about that, or about reporting about it.

ding, ding, ding

• It's typical white person who don't understand, oh look asians must be all chinese to resell in china etc..

I had relatives who come to vacation(they paid tons of money to come here to vacation) they have to put up 100k in cash to make sure they go back to china lol.

anyway they would buy alot of Apple crap to bring back as gifts to relatives in china. there alot of them and guess what to you guys they are also the same people.

My mom and relatives here have brought tons of apple crap for relatives back home who wants it. I refuse to go and buy because of the two reasons. one i hate apple products, two is the hate i see in the white folks in the stores and outside.

when white privilege is challenge. white people love to complain....

• AW-

Accusing Asians of liking Apple products is not a bad thing.

...there are, um, worse things that a group could be accused of.

• jeffrey said:

Blodget just let his frustrations about the average person losing out (to what appeared to be the usual large groups of resellers buying in bulk, not even for themselves) get the better of how he otherwise may have reported it.

lol him average guy??? lets be honest here, he is one privilege mother fucker. he has leisure time to go and stand in a apple store. while others have to work.

• whynot_31 said:

AW-

Accusing Asians like Apple products is not a bad thing.

...there are, um, worse things that a group could be accused of.

Put it this way, Would you find these titles acceptable:

CRAP: It's Only 7:38AM And The iPhone Line Is Still Hours Long — Because Jewish Folks Are Scarfing Them Up

CRAP: It's Only 7:38AM And The iPhone Line Is Still Hours Long — Because Black Folks Are Scarfing Them Up

CRAP: It's Only 7:38AM And The iPhone Line Is Still Hours Long — Because Gay Folks Are Scarfing Them Up

• armchair_warrior said:

lol him average guy??? lets be honest here, he is one privilege mother fucker. he has leisure time to go and stand in a apple store. while others have to work.

So, you would have been able to accept someone who is poor stating that Asians are buying up all the new iphones?

• whynot_31 said:

jeffery wrote: Nothing racist about that, or about reporting about it.

ding, ding, ding

Not sure what you meant there. If people also line up in groups to buy out iPhones in large numbers for the Russian black market, is merely reporting about that somehow racist?

But not the case for the same exact thing in another country?

• armchair_warrior said:

they get fair representation unless you been living in a rock in some fantasy land where you don't think they do LOL. Even a racist like Al Sharpton has his own freaking show. Gay people on tons of shows. They get elected all the time and in true positions of power.

The president of the US? does that ring a bell?

For a highly educated population(I'm talking about americans who happen to be Asians not immigrants). how many of them are in manager or ceo posistions yet they fill up the ranks of ivy league schools.

yes master you right, you be big boss!!! we have a whiteman in the white house who happens to sport dark tan on etc....

Think about it, would that guy said the same thing about Jews and Blacks or Gays for that matter on that article. I think not and you know they wouldn't of said the same thing.

Once that happens, I'll go sit in my corner and not make a peep.

Also damn been trolled again!!!

It is simply amazing to me that you think Asians have it worse than blacks, gays, and most other non-white-christian-males.

Truly amazing.

• whynot_31 said:

So, you would have been able to accept someone who is poor stating that Asians are buying up all the new iphones?

point is he isn't average and its not cool if anyone stated that till we get representation like other groups. once in positions of power. go a head free game.

• Boygabriel said:

It is simply amazing to me that you think Asians have it worse than blacks, gays, and most other non-white-christian-males.

Truly amazing.

lol when i see a asian president or a racist asian have tv show etc.. than we talk. other wise keep drinking your kool aid.

• jeffrey said:

Not sure what you meant there. If people also line up in groups to buy out iPhones in large numbers for the Russian black market, is merely reporting about that somehow racist?

But not the case for the same exact thing in another country?

jeffery wrote: Nothing racist about that, or about reporting about it.

I meant "ding, ding, ding. Ladies and gentlemen we have a correct answer!"

• armchair_warrior said:

You ascribe one of the many other meanings of "average" to what I wrote, perhaps I was too vague using that.

Substitute in "individual" there instead and you'll get the point of how individual consumers lose out here as business profiteers occupy the front of the *consumer* line and buy out huge portions of daily iPhone supply meant for individual retail *consumers*.

But yeah, anyone buying an iPhone 4S is privileged.

• jeffrey said:

You ascribe one of the many other meanings of "average" to what I wrote, perhaps I was too vague using that.

Substitute in "individual" there instead and you'll get the point of how individual consumers lose out here as business profiteers occupy the front of the *consumer* line and buy out huge portions of daily iPhone supply meant for individual retail *consumers*.

But yeah, anyone buying an iPhone 4S is privileged.

Nobody answer this yet, would this fly in America?

CRAP: It's Only 7:38AM And The iPhone Line Is Still Hours Long — Because Jewish Folks Are Scarfing Them Up

CRAP: It's Only 7:38AM And The iPhone Line Is Still Hours Long — Because Black Folks Are Scarfing Them Up

CRAP: It's Only 7:38AM And The iPhone Line Is Still Hours Long — Because Gay Folks Are Scarfing Them Up

• armchair_warrior said:

I already acknowledged that in my first post above, fyi.

• jeffrey said:

I already acknowledged that in my first post above, fyi.

How bout we change it to:

Crap: Minority Folks are robbing people in Prospect Heights.

First, I also thought Jeffrey (for a man of his position in online message) did blunder in terms of the way he described the situation.

That said, the situation he describes does exist, is a documented phenomenon(it is statically true about the robbing).

So how bout this?

• Well, you have to make sure you are not drawing or implying a causal relationship between the characteristic and the behavior. Likewise, you want to realize that many factors come into play. Otherwise you could conclude that ALL of the Asians were buying up the new iphones, and ALL minorities were criminals.

If the characteristic being described is statistically true, yet regarded as being a positive or neutral attribute, it is still racist?

Can I say black people are often tall?

Asian people are often short?

• armchair_warrior said:

Apparently, the 100 plus Asians standing on line have as much leisure time as said white privileged mother fucker.

And until Asians are beaten on the head by police or hosed down by firemen for marching for civil rights, or crucified on a Wyoming fence post because some white mother fuckers perceive Asians as Satan's children for eating cats-I too have to wonder...how the hell are they being discriminated against? Have you been to Fort Lee, NJ or even Bayside, Queens lately?

• armchair_warrior said:

lol when i see a asian president or a racist asian have tv show etc.. than we talk. other wise keep drinking your kool aid.

what about when the average salary of black people reaches that of asians?

or number of black people who hold executive positions?

Or when studies like this are no longer true?

Where is the study showing the same is true of Asians?

The idea that we have a black president and therefore Asian people face more bias in their daily life is a joke.

• armchair_warrior said:

Flies with me. Where is the stereotyping? In regards to the Asian tag, immigrants from all over the world whom reside in States practice this. They buy goods here and resell. I brought a shit load of food stuff from Quebec recently. Well, I didn't resell those. I ate 'em. But I would have resold for the right price. Anyone wanna bid on a package of smoked beef?

• armchair_warrior said:

How bout we change it to:

Crap: Minority Folks are robbing people in Prospect Heights.

Again, that's still structured the same way I already acknowledged to be problematic.

You *could* say:

Local (insert country here) mafia luxury car thefts increase as black market resale business booms overseas

(insert ethnicity here) gang activity and thefts reported up in (insert neighborhood here)

Both can be objectively observed, documented, proven and reported as such.

And neither are written in a racist manner (although it would be verrrrry easy for someone to screw that up).

armchair_warrior said:

First, I also thought Jeffrey (for a man of his position in online message) did blunder in terms of the way he described the situation.

That said, the situation he describes does exist, is a documented phenomenon(it is statically true about the robbing).

So how bout this?

That part is fine. It's one person's opinion written in an opinions forum, absent any inflammatory language.

• Arbitrage is done by everyone on earth, and in the tradition of Sesame Street, is the sponsor of the this thread.

"This thread has been brought to you by the word Arbitrage"

In economics and finance, arbitrage (IPA: /??rb?tr???/) is the practice of taking advantage of a price difference between two or more markets: striking a combination of matching deals that capitalize upon the imbalance, the profit being the difference between the market prices. When used by academics, an arbitrage is a transaction that involves no negative cash flow at any probabilistic or temporal state and a positive cash flow in at least one state; in simple terms, it is the possibility of a risk-free profit at zero cost.

In principle and in academic use, an arbitrage is risk-free; in common use, as in statistical arbitrage, it may refer to expected profit, though losses may occur, and in practice, there are always risks in arbitrage, some minor (such as fluctuation of prices decreasing profit margins), some major (such as devaluation of a currency or derivative). In academic use, an arbitrage involves taking advantage of differences in price of a single asset or identical cash-flows; in common use, it is also used to refer to differences between similar assets (relative value or convergence trades), as in merger arbitrage.

People who engage in arbitrage are called arbitrageurs (IPA: /??rb?tr?????r/)—such as a bank or brokerage firm. The term is mainly applied to trading in financial instruments, such as bonds, stocks, derivatives, commodities and currencies.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbitrage

• Armchair, your right, why should he waste his time writing about i-pods, when there's so much more out there to highlight oriental activities,

these are a few,

EXPORTING TOXIC ITEMS TO THE U.S.A.

dietary supplements

cosmetics.

apple preserves with cancer causing chemicals.

drywall.

children's products.

RIP-OFFS

clothing

electronics

UNDERGROUND MARKETS WHERE NO TAS ARE PAID

hidden stores in china town.

illegal rentals in sunset park, where partitions are set up and 10 to an apartment live and income not reported by the landlord.

why report on these when there's a hot issue on i-pods available.

• TAS s/b TAX's

• Idlewild said:

Apparently, the 100 plus Asians standing on line have as much leisure time as said white privileged mother fucker.

And until Asians are beaten on the head by police or hosed down by firemen for marching for civil rights, or crucified on a Wyoming fence post because some white mother fuckers perceive Asians as Satan's children for eating cats-I too have to wonder...how the hell are they being discriminated against? Have you been to Fort Lee, NJ or even Bayside, Queens lately?

http://www.amazon.com/Driven-Out-Forgotten-Against-Americans/dp/1400061342

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yick_Wo_v._Hopkins

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Vincent_Chin

• You know what i would love to see, Asian anchors promoting Asian issues like they do on CNN with other minorities.

• Hamilton said:

Armchair, your right, why should he waste his time writing about i-pods, when there's so much more out there to highlight oriental activities,

these are a few,

EXPORTING TOXIC ITEMS TO THE U.S.A.

dietary supplements

cosmetics.

apple preserves with cancer causing chemicals.

drywall.

children's products.

RIP-OFFS

clothing

electronics

UNDERGROUND MARKETS WHERE NO TAS ARE PAID

hidden stores in china town.

illegal rentals in sunset park, where partitions are set up and 10 to an apartment live and income not reported by the landlord.

why report on these when there's a hot issue on i-pods available.

So oriental again huh?

please you guys get the cleaner products vs what is sold at home. from fake eggs to toxic milk to others etc...

So you are being treated better than equal. Plus tons of the products were made by american companies. china is just assembling. true cost of made in china is really made else where and assemble there.

and they copy everyone including other Chinese companies and hell life is about adapting and copying.

The west been copying Chinese thousands of years, it's fair.

• armchair_warrior said:

You know what i would love to see, Asian anchors promoting Asian issues like they do on CNN with other minorities.

Watch BBC and Bloomberg. Live from Singapore and Hong Kong.

...much more intelligent newscasters than CNN. Often better looking as well.

• armchair_warrior said:

The west been copying Chinese thousands of years, it's fair.

Er, wha?

Pre-1850 there were significant two-way exchanges of influences between China and the western and near/middle-eastern worlds. Hardly one-sided.

But after that? Very one-sided, but not in the way you suggest. Did China not adopt western industrial revolution technologies to emerge from a largely agrarian society of past centuries?

From factory production to the Internet, China embraced Western ways to modernize itself, often locking out western competitors (most recently with Internet) from competing on their own soil.

Further on the copying point, where has the worldwide center of counterfeiting and cheaply-built knock-offs of western products and technologies been for decades?

• AW-

Its ok.

Every growing nation breaks laws, restricts trade, pollutes, slaughters, etc to get ahead in the world.

This critique isn't about china, per se.

Britian had an world wide empire.

The US slaughtered the Native American population

etc, etc

....it is just part of life.

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bamboo-copter west alway go oh devinci etc.. bs they actually use chinese toy to get the idea lol. same goes for chinese lantern(toy) for hot air balloons.

I'll just quick list modern stuff that without china the west couldn't of won the new world.

guns and rockets, paper, watertight compartments in ships, rudder for ships, compass.

They dined on pork and chicken (domesticated in china).

Modern Turks and Hungarians came from Nomadic groups in near China. Because of the wall that was built. China limited trade with the rest of the world. Tons of Nomadic groups over the thousands of years left the borders to establish kingdoms from India to Europe.

Ideas went with them from the limited trade. they kept people out, but also let trade and tech go along those same trade routes, but let very few people in.

• My mistake, i hadn't realize you toxins are better then ours.

The difference is we are alerted to what's in our milk and cleaners and know what to avoid.

China exports contaminated products with total disregard to the effects it has on our population.

• Is it too early to declare that American businesses would export toxic products to china if we thought we could get away with it?

...and china wanted anything we produced?

• whynot_31 said:

Is it too early to declare that American businesses would export toxic products to china if we thought we could get away with it?

...and china wanted anything we produced?

if they sold it here too LOL. it's not like Chinese producers are going oh we deliberately put in toxic stuff just for Americans. hell they put in the domestic market before it reaches the western markets. In general rule of thumb is the stuff that is exported is normally better than local stuff. Thats why people travel to other countries repurchase the products there was assemble(majority of made in china isn't really made there, china has trade deficits with tons of countries and those countries make the components) there.

high tech exports and weapons. too bad americans don't have lux products european and japanese have.

• The US is just jealous of China's increasing success.

...don't worry, we will soon lower our environmental standards and wages in an effort to compete with China. Likewise, wages in China will increase, and China will occasionally execute the producers of toxic products.

It is already happening.

• armchair,

I expanded some items to my post above.

Many of the decent size examples you noted are interesting but are very small in comparison to the absolutely massive impact of the factory production techniques and machinery inventions of the industrial revolution, steel production and elevators that lead to medium- and high-rise buildings and the exploding growth of large modern cities with transit systems. Then of course there are paved roads and highway systems and railroads and modern winged aircraft aviation and engine-driven shipping that utterly revolutionized travel and trade on local, national and international levels and so much else in computers, software and even the Internet itself that were all born in the West.

All of these were invented in the West with no influences from China leading to their invention.

In fact, China embraced all of these Western inventions to modernize itself from a mainly agrarian economy in an effort to catch up to the western world and take its place on the world stage.

In fact, with the Internet they've even taken the ideas and technology into China and closed it to the very companies that invented and developed it in the first place.

I understand pride in one's background but history is history, and China did well to embrace Western ideas and technologies to become more modern and prosperous.

• factory production wasn't a Henry ford thing lol. the oldest court building in western us comes from china(china massively produce houses(other products) for thousands of years). so someone in the 1800's order one from china. it was faster to order one than build one.

aviation wouldn't of left the ground without the Chinese toys.(Chinese scholars been talking and designing flying machines for thousands of years, didn't have the engines to make it fly)

paved roads?? lol chinese been building roads etc.. before the west started to eat with forks.

modern tech is a collection of the worlds ideas. west just accumulated it after destroying the old world trade routes to wars.

without higher math the Chinese contributed I wonder where your modern tech will be.

the world would of modernize without the west, but could the west modernize without china?

go read some of these books http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_and_Civilization_in_China

• I love people who think that it is their "duty to their identity" to swear everything was invented by their race or country.

...they never seem to give credit to people who made innovations, or changes to ideas and products.

• lol :p I'm just defending sorry. I love modern tech and huge anglophile.

I'm just making a point obviously west made modern world what is modern lol. Point is without bases for some things, would some of the things we have today possible be possible?

Look at chinese lanterns and chinese tops. one inspire some french guys to build man size versions of it. other toy inspire the tops used on helicopter of today.

come on guns and rockets? would been a fair fight with natives?

rudder and compass would of gotten lost in the big ocean :p

just stating a point of omg they copy everything!!! it wasn't always that way.

• AW-

You fail to include Dim Sum. It is by far the Chinese invention that I value the most.

• Are you claiming that the Chinese invented human desire for and quest for flight?

That's a universal thing that humans have experimented with since practically the dawn of our existence anywhere.

As I said, winged flight and even jet engines (far more massive in impact than helicopters) were western inventions, adopted by China.

Sorry, China did not invent paved roads. Medium-sized stone paved roads have been around everywhere all over earlier civilizations for thousands of years, even well before the Romans back 4000 years ago in Iraq.

I am speaking of modern layered gravel+asphalt techniques developed in France in the early 1800s. The smooth asphalt was a major factor in more smooth, long-term vehicular travel and that opened travel and business trade up to much wider reach with the basic motorized vehicles at the time (also first invented in US and Europe).

As for modern assembly line factory production that allows for whole orders of magnitude of greater and cheaper production, well, that was absolutely invented here in the US by Henry Ford and China absolutely embraced that.

And Dell and other American companies invented just-in-time production that again revolutionized industry to offer more efficient, custom-tailored products like computers as per configurations of customer orders themselves.

Are you claiming higher math for China? Wow, ha. Guess you are not familiar with the Egyptians and especially Persians. Sorry, Algebra and Calculus did not originate in China. Neither did Particle/Quantum/Nuclear Physics or even modern string theory etc. China also adopted these.

China did have its own contributions in math but absolutely embraced all of the above from the Middle/East Asia and the West.

As for low-rise courthouses and houses, that's completely unrelated and have been around for thousands of years elsewhere. Heck, they just uncovered ancient Greek ruins on the island of Santorini that have 5-story buildings with indoor plumbing. Low-rise happened all over the place.

What I mentioned was the entire reason why we have mid- and high-rises that created the large modern cities of today: steel, elevators and machine-driven transportation. All came from the West. Everywhere in the entire world (yes, including China) had nothing above 10 stories or so before steel and elevators.

The only high-rises before that were pyramids, but building a large city of thousands of those is hardly practical.

• I didn't said they invented it, i said they had it for a long time didn't need to take it from the west, you said modern west has

"Then of course there are paved roads"

the concept of flight the ideas from rudders, blades, kites, man kites were already toys in china. without those building blocks to help the modern western world.

china contribute to mathematics. just saying you think the modern world is solely based on the west.

modern factory production been around for thousands of years, just the west came up with the same thing way later. that is a historical fact. chinese massively produced weapons man million man armies way before the modern world.

look up something called the grand canal while you're at it.

china has been producing steel for the most of record history of when steel was invented largest producer of steel until a short blimp in for a century.

seriously go read a series of books written by some white guy. i posted above.

What I mentioned was the entire reason why we have mid- and high-rises that created the large modern cities of today: steel, elevators and machine-driven transportation. All came from the West. Everywhere in the entire world (yes, including China) had nothing above 10 stories or so before steel and elevators.
    here is 13 stories for you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Pagoda

• AW-

All of the accomplishments you list pale in comparison to Dim Sum.

Likewise, no one has mentioned that the US invented the combo meal.

Where are your priorities? ...it's 1:30!

• Nope, not saying solely.

Just rebutting your point that everyone else copied Chinese inventions of everything.

Factory production, yes. That's still very slow. Assembly-line production invented by Henry Ford immediately increased monthly production 100x.

And all the other massive-impact items I mentioned above that utterly revolutionized the world into the modern age.

All of this is just to say that different regions at different times contributed major things. Everything major and minor out there was not invented in China and everyone else copied it.

China did contribute many things, but it also copied a lot.

• Yes, China produces many things. Many of those things, and the methods in which they are produced were invented elsewhere.

Yeah, I said low-rise was about 10 stories. Not 30, 50, 100 which became possible due to the invention of steel and elevators.

Iron has been around forever as well and is not strong enough or well-suited to be used for any medium-rise or high-rise buildings.

You are right to be proud of China's long and rich cultural heritage, just know that much of what China embraced to modernize itself from a rural, agrarian economy was invented elsewhere.

It's just not accurate to say that all of the world merely copies China.

• look at flight.

kites and man kites form the bases for modern flight, not saying invented modern flight but bases for it.

toy lanterns for hot air balloons

toy tops were the modern bases for modern helicopter tops.

china learn the modern stuff very quickly, not centuries or thousands of years LOL, within years, because china already had the knowledge to easily learn the modern stuff.

modern tech is a compendium of all human knowledge from many cultures.

• "The U.S. is just jealous of China's increasing success ."

Isn't their success due to our trade agreements with them and If they are so successful why are we being flooded with illegals fleeing their country.

• Flight: humans everywhere have experimented with it since forever.

Most observed and experimented to copy the form of birds and insects, which were everywhere.

Prove that China invented birds and insects and perhaps only then will your claim that no one else had these ideas might ring true.

• I told you steel been massively produce in china for a long time because of factories there and ceramic tech.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_furnace

• don't need birds china had kites and man kites, and mini hot air balloons and toy helicopter tops to prove it. where in the west can you said that in history?

• btw chinese use coal in the steel industry thousand years before.

• The printing press.

Before it the written word worldwide was written by hand, going back to scribes in antiquity thousands of years ago.

In the west this was done by a person writing every page by hand with bird feather quills. In China and elsewhere in East Asia this was done by a person writing every page by hand with a brush made of animal hair.

For important texts there would simultaneously be many of these scribes producing copies, writing page by page. It would take a very long time to produce very few copies, even if multiple scribes were working at the same time.

Then Guttenberg's printing press came and everything changed. Whole books and journals could be produced relatively instantly and in large numbers, creating an explosion of news and print media.

There's another hyuuuuge one.

• btw metal suspension bridges aren't western thing too. china had one thousand years ago. last seen during ww2. I think it got destroy during the war. it was located in some mountain region.

if you like gambling chinese sure do, playing cards were made there :p.

• if one invented modern paper, i think the printing press been around there too.

majority of books up until the 1800's were printed in china.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Printing

• Yeah, worldwide the iron age left us with great stuff.

Good times.

And yeah, wood block and movable type was a big step forward. Duh, forgot that step. Much quicker than by hand by brush or quill.

And the printing press definitely springs from invention of movable type.

• AW-

Jeffery seems to be making the argument that innovation occurs far more often, and makes a much larger impact than invention.

Hamilton said:

"The U.S. is just jealous of China's increasing success ."

Isn't their success due to our trade agreements with them and If they are so successful why are we being flooded with illegals fleeing their country.

In the modern world, the trade of goods and services between nations is key to success.

Humans are like all inputs, and will move to the location of the highest bidder.

• china was in the steel ages for a long time dude read some books seriously.

when i was in school the books still insisted some guy in England invented gunpowder and guns, while china only had fire works to show for it. even though their looters took worlds oldest cannon from china to their museums in Europe.

must read books for anyone who likes history.

Science and Civilisation in China (1954–2008) is a series of books initiated and edited by British biochemist and China scholar Joseph Needham (1900–1995). They deal with the history of science and technology in China. To date there have been 27 volumes (and parts). The series was on the Modern Library Board's 100 Best Nonfiction books of the 20th century.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_and_Civilization_in_China

• c

jeffrey said:

Yeah, worldwide the iron age left us with great stuff.

Good times.

And yeah, wood block and movable type was a big step forward. Duh, forgot that step. Much quicker than by hand by brush or quill.

And the printing press definitely springs from invention of movable type.

chinese characters are into 10's of thousands of characters. old school printing is faster than movable type until the computer age.

• innovation is very important but without invention to back it up would be very hard, copying isn't just mindless its also learning and than eventually you innovate.

its the statements i have problems are copy stealing etc... i didn't make those lol. I'm just saying its not always west to east. its been east to west. In schools same thing oh Asians are good at copying and remember can't think of original ideas etc.. same thing with media etc...

• armchair_warrior said:

chinese characters are into 10's of thousands of characters.

Which, by the way, would totally suck without a spell-checker.

• jeffrey said:

Which, by the way, would totally suck without a spell-checker.

They also give the 101-key, keyboard a real work out.

• armchair_warrior said:

china was in the steel ages for a long time dude read some books seriously.

Right, true, I was too vague. To specify, it was the use of steel frameworks created uniformly as an interior skeleton. There have been structures using iron and steel in the past but the 20th Century breakthrough was how it was used...beams of standard size and shape combined in a repeated skeletal pattern to maximize stability to allow higher structures. None of which were practical, of course, without the engine-driven elevator (itself iterated from prior, more basic manual/animal driven ones without buttons, lights, music and captive advertising screens).

armchair_warrior said:

when i was in school the books still insisted some guy in England invented gunpowder and guns, while china only had fire works to show for it. even though their looters took worlds oldest cannon from china to their museums in Europe.

Fortunately in the 70s and 80s where I was the books correctly attributed gunpowder to China.

But yeah, especially when you have narrow minds deciding what is history (often rewritten over the ages by the victors and powerful) there ends up being plenty of garbage out there.

These days you can thank the Texas Board of Education, for deciding by default (due to sheer student/system size) what goes in nationwide textbooks.

Texas Conservatives Win Curriculum Change

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html

armchair_warrior said:

Science and Civilisation in China (1954–2008)

To date there have been 27 volumes (and parts).

Is there a tl;dr version? :mrgreen:

That sounds like a great read, will check it out. Literally. As in, I hope they have it at the BPL.

• I doubt they do :p, last time i remember only big ivy league schools did but that was like decade ago.

• jeffery wrote: especially when you have narrow minds deciding what is history (often rewritten over the ages by the victors and powerful) there ends up being plenty of garbage out there.

• rockets can't be really attribute to nature or birds. it is used in form of modern flight.

rockets is basically back then a backwards gun.

• It's also worth mentioning that, whereas China may have

1) provided the world with many ideas pre-1850

and

2) absorbed a lot from elsewhere post 1850

(rough generalization of timeline, too lazy to check :) )

...they have in recent years now reached a state of modernization, capabilities and international prominence that, combined with their sheer size and scale, will likely put them right back in the position to become more of a net contributor of cultural, technological and scientific ideas.

In past decades many of their best and brightest would seek out schools and highly-skilled jobs in the US and Europe. But in recent years, especially given all the high-tech and scientific work now based there and a newly expanding middle class to help support these matters, there is now much more incentive and government initiative for their best and brightest to remain there in China.

So the pendulum there is no doubt in mid swing back to a period of breakthroughs, innovation and new ideas there as in past eras, at least wherever and however far the government will allow it.

One likely area:

Since funding and current business for German and especially US companies in solar tech is falling apart at present, that huge market in particular is likely to be dominated and further innovated by Chinese companies not experiencing similar lack in funding and business and able to produce and ship products at far lower costs.

• armchair_warrior said:

rockets can't be really attribute to nature or birds. it is used in form of modern flight.

rockets is basically back then a backwards gun.

And rockets is fireworks, but hopefully ones that don't go *boom*.

• doubt it, its a cesspool there. all the best and brightest and most money move to the us. some of them founded tech companies when the tech boom went off. not as famous but they were there.... in the us.

they are still moving here and other places. less competition for jobs and school.

for the foreseeable next 50 years even with some decline the us probably going to get alot of smart people from all over the world. unless some idiots decided to stop smart people from immigrating from the world.

• whynot_31 said:

AW-

Jeffery seems to be making the argument that innovation occurs far more often, and makes a much larger impact than invention.

In the modern world, the trade of goods and services between nations is key to success.

Humans are like all inputs, and will move to the location of the highest bidder.

I feel your response is an over simplification , i'm sure the massive influx is due to people escaping a country that is famous for it's human rights violations and not a need by the U.S. for additional workers .

in fact a few weeks ago a friend who has been unemployed for a while mentioned , with great reluctance, was going to sign up for food stamps and would i accompany him to what he felt was one of the most degrading moments in his life.

we arrived at the coney island center and was stunned to see close to 120 chinese along with an interpreter,

who was not only filling out their forms but was doing their interviews, as they couldn't speak english.

their not her for opportunity, their here for entitlements.

what happened to-you had to have a sponsor when entering the country.

in the old days they said America welcomed everyone with open arms, now it's with open legs as we are getting f'kd

• Hamilton said:

I feel your response is an over simplification , i'm sure the massive influx is due to people escaping a country that is famous for it's human rights violations and not a need by the U.S. for additional workers .

in fact a few weeks ago a friend who has been unemployed for a while mentioned , with great reluctance, was going to sign up for food stamps and would i accompany him to what he felt was one of the most degrading moments in his life.

we arrived at the coney island center and was stunned to see close to 120 chinese along with an interpreter,

who was not only filling out their forms but was doing their interviews, as they couldn't speak english.

in the old days they said America welcomed everyone with open arms, now it's with open legs as we are getting f'kd

those same chinese folks who couldn't speak english come here legally and work for pennies on the dollar to provide you with probably feel good made in america crap right here in nyc probably for 7 days a week.

they paid same taxes as you and your friend. so unemployment should be for everyone who pays taxes.

I don't think you know how unemployment and taxes work. or immigration works. some families who sponsor people have to put money up so if their families come here and go on any type of public welfare, their families lose that money.

there are groups who are exempted from alot of the requirements. I wish chinese immigrants were cuban and jewish :p.

first time i ever heard anyone claiming chinese come here for entitlements LOL.

• what do you consider pennies on the dollar?

are minimum wage laws not in effect in the chinese community and if their salaries are that low they are tax free.

• Hamilton said:

A better life (aka "opportunity") comes in many forms. Some come for

higher wages than back home

others come for welfare benefits

others come for a low crime rate

others come for indoor plumbing

others come for health care

....as long as these things are better "here" than "there", they will "here" from where ever "there" is.

Likewise, the concept of "need" is vague. You are correct in that we have plenty of unemployed people here which could fill the jobs the Chinese are accepting. However, it is more complicated than that.

On a micro scale, a business does not hire based on the county's "need", a business hires the individual person it expects will do the most work for the combination of least money and hassle. In many industries, this choice leads one away from persons born in the US.

On a macro scale, the customer does not hire a manufacturer based on need, the customer hires the manufacturer it expects will do the most work for the combination of least money and hassle. In many industries, this choice leads one to China.

The good news is that you don't have to like it.

• actually many Chinese immigrants work for Jewish guys in garment industry. they are paid well below the minimum wage. Chinese people are pretty prideful they rather work than go on welfare.

the shops are still around midtown to garment district. some are in brooklyn and queens. they are either chinese or someone who speaks spanish as managers but usually own by some old school jewish guys.

So i came to the conclusion you're probably a xenophobe. people get unemployment for the taxes they paid into. you can't get unemployment if you don't work.

by underground stores in china town you mean you just can't read the signs that's all. I ignore some of those post from before but now seeing that post. It wouldn't be right not for calling you out.

please at least get the stereotyping right. Chinese will work for pennies on the dollar but they don't come here for entitlements!!!

other ethnicities which I won't mention has much higher entitlement rates than Chinese lol. I won't do the hw for you.

• whynot_31 said:

A better life (aka "opportunity") comes in many forms.

Some come for work

others come for low crime rate

others come for higher wages

....as long as these things are better "here" than "there", they will "here" from where ever "there" is.

Likewise, the concept of "need" is vague. You are correct in that we have plenty of unemployed people here which could fill the jobs the Chinese are accepting. However, it is more complicated than that.

On a micro scale, a business does not hire based on the county's "need", a business hires the individual person it expects will do the most work for the combination of least money and hassle. In many industries, this choice leads one away from persons born in the US.

On a macro scale, the customer does not hire a manufacturer based on need, the customer hires the manufacturer it expects will do the most work for the combination of least money and hassle. In many industries, this choice leads one to China.

he claims Chinese come here for entitlements!! come on unemployment is something you paid into!!!

• AW-

As you are likely aware, estimates are that more than 20% of the full time workers in NYC are paid less than minimum wage, and work off the books.

The majority of the folks who work these jobs are immigrants.

• I know I was one :p.

• armchair_warrior said:

he claims Chinese come here for entitlements!! come on unemployment is something you paid into!!!

armchair_warrior said:

read my message again , it doesn't say unemployment , it's about food stamps.

• Here's who qualifies for Food Stamps, and the monthly benefit rates for food stamps.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hia/html/other/benefits_food_stamps.shtml

• whynot_31 said:

A better life (aka "opportunity") comes in many forms. Some come for

higher wages than back home

others come for a low crime rate

others come for indoor plumbing

it's not a matter of like or dislike, the reality is the country is going down the sewer due to the ineptness of our politicians.

they send jobs to china and china sends workers here , great concept.

i must have missed that chapter in The Wealth of Nations.

• okay so only "Americans" should get food stamps?

I'm sure the 120 chinese had to wait for that one person to do the translation probably been waiting for a long time for it. Think about it. statically Asians are still one of the lowest groups to get any type of public assistance. Is it easier to do each form and wait for each person or do it en mass you're being paid for it?

I doubt they come here for that, some of them probably don't make enough working for the man. When we came here we there were rules that you can't go on public assistance or your family would lose the money they guarantee you for.

any immigration lawyers know if this still true?

• Hamilton said:

it's not a matter of like or dislike, the reality is the country is going down the sewer due to the ineptness of our politicians.

they send jobs to china and china sends workers here , great concept.

i must have missed that chapter in The Wealth of Nations.

I guess you don't care for Chinese immigrants who by the small numbers are pulling far above the numbers via contributions to society. tech industry would be very different so is the hardcore sciences.

Asians are new Jews.

• armchair_warrior said:

okay so only "Americans" should get food stamps?

I'm sure the 120 chinese had to wait for that one person to do the translation probably been waiting for a long time for it. Think about it. statically Asians are still one of the lowest groups to get any type of public assistance. Is it easier to do each form and wait for each person or do it en mass you're being paid for it?

I doubt they come here for that, some of them probably don't make enough working for the man. When we came here we there were rules that you can't go on public assistance or your family would lose the money they guarantee you for.

any immigration lawyers know if this still true?

americans can apply, if the russians leave anything on the table.

• so you think Russians take everything?

• armchair_warrior said:

so you think Russians take everything?

only if they can.

• armchair_warrior said:

I guess you don't care for Chinese immigrants who by the small numbers are pulling far above the numbers via contributions to society. tech industry would be very different so is the hardcore sciences.

Asians are new Jews.

I hate to break it to you but playing Mah-Jong doesn't make you Jewish

• I hate to break it to you but playing Mah-Jong doesn't make you Jewish

you lost me there.....

• armchair_warrior said:

I hate to break it to you but playing Mah-Jong doesn't make you Jewish

you lost me there.....

Being nouveau Jewish you should know the correlation between Mah-Jong and your newly found religion.

• To be continued...

I running out now, as I'm going to the Apple Store where this all started.

hope the crowd is gone.

• AW-

One need not be an immigration lawyer to know who qualifies for food stamps, one need only click the link I provided above.

....new immigrants and the undocumented are not eligible.

• so i got trolled by ham LOL.

• There are a lot of myths out there about who is eligible for the various programs. In NYC, about 1.8 million people (approximately 20% of the population) are assisted by the program. Thirty percent (30%) of NYC families with children now receive food stamps.

The recession (aka "new normal") has made the program more expensive as a result of more families qualifying for it due to falling income.

source: http://www.thirteen.org/metrofocus/news/2011/08/in-touch-times-food-stamps-leave-many-hungry/

source: http://www.cccnewyork.org/images/ImpactofRecession_CCC_Infographic2011.jpg

• whynot_31 said:

Here's who qualifies for Food Stamps, and the monthly benefit rates for food stamps.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hia/html/other/benefits_food_stamps.shtml

"Adults who are unable to document their own legal [ illegal ] status may apply on behalf of their children."

great loop hole, sneak into the country and have a kid for fun and profit.

it kinda invites everyone to jump in on the great american give away .

if your not in this category contact .

N.Y. Communities For Change [ formerly Acorn ], they'll advise on how to circumvent the requirements

• Hamilton,

Not everyone sees illegal immigration as a giveaway, especially those who enjoy the benefits of low priced menial labor.

For example, illegal immigration is a big part of allowing me to get up from my desk and get lunch for $8.

This article says there are around 535,000 illegal immigrants in New York City. If we have a census of 8.5 Million, thats around 6%.

According to a study by the Fiscal Policy Institute, a little more than four million immigrants live in New York State and three million live in New York City. According to a 2005 estimate, there are 645,000 illegal immigrants in the state of New York [2], and there are 535,000 illegal immigrants in New York City alone [3]. In all, illegal immigrants make up 18 percent of all immigrants living in New York City [3]. Illegal immigrants in New York City come from a wide array of countries from all over the globe. According to an estimate by Jeffrey S. Passel of the Pew Hispanic Center, 27 percent of illegal immigrants in New York City come from Mexico and Central America, 23 percent come from South Asia and East Asia, 22 percent come from the Caribbean, 13 percent come from South America, eight percent come from Europe, five percent come from Africa, and only two percent come from the Middle East.

As I mentioned above, folks come here for lots of reasons, and they will keep coming here until they think living here is no better than where they were.

• Hamilton said:

have a kid for fun and profit.

Profit, ha. Now that is hilarious.

This discussion has been closed.