The Battle for Brooklyn - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Battle for Brooklyn

I have no connection of any sort with this film or the filmmakers. I mention that up front because what follows is a rave review of the film, which I saw tonight at the IFC theater in Manhattan.

Before I forget, I should mention that the film's website says it is screening Wednesday (tomorrow) night at 7:00 pm at the Ethical Culture center in Park Slope. Anyone who is interested should see the film and then hurry over to Sharlene's for Festivus.

The film juxtaposes the personal travails of Daniel Goldstein, the guy who founded Develop Don't Destroy Brooklyn and who stubbornly refused to sell his apartment to Forest City Ratner (even living alone in a deserted building for two years after Ratner bought out all of the other residents), against the larger legal and political efforts to derail the Atlantic Yards project.

It is a powerful and moving film, albeit a bit depressing since we all know it did not end well.

See this film. Learn about the disproportionate power of New York's biggest real estate developers, and about the juggernauts they can create when they garner the support of the Mayor of New York City. See how Marty Markowitz and even Senator Schumer become uncritical cheerleaders for evil projects when empty promises of jobs and tax revenues are made. See how loudly trumpeted promises are broken without embarrassment and without penalty.

Kinda makes you (not) proud to be an American!

Comments

This discussion has been closed.