• anyone know what's up with them-- have they gone out of business? Something in the family? Just dawned on me that they've been closed for weeks, and have a sign up saying that prescriptions have been moved to their Long Island branch.

• That's the one located on Eastern Parkway and Franklin.

It would be a shame to lose the old neon sign.

http://projectneon.tumblr.com/post/3712283124/maimans-pharmacy

• Maiman's Pharmacy, Crown Heights, Brooklyn, NY

Good question - no news I am aware of. Mitch Maiman has been known to post on "vintage Brooklyn" discussions online, including this one, and his email address is here.

• Mitch here... Of the Maiman clan. I will check with my brother to see if he knows what's up. As you probably know, Maiman's was sold a few years ago by my brother after 50+ years in the family.

• My brother I not sure what is up it either. He has heard the parent company may have had some issues but he's not sure either. Hope it re-opens"

• Given its prime location, I can't imagine that this space will remain vacant for long.

• If that sign comes down, it can move to the prospect heights sign museum.

• Seems inconceivable they should close.

• Sad to report the sign is gone.

• If im not mistaken it is moving to Nostrand Ave a few blocks from eastern parkway, it is under construction and seems to be coming out pretty nicely.

• I know the Nostrand site you are talking about, and -yes- it is supposed to become a pharmacy.

Next time I walk buy, I'll see if I there's anything about Maimans on the permit.

...now, it is time to wonder what will go in the high profile, corner lot it has vacated :)

That side of EP is changing rapidly...

Coffee?

Bar?

casual dining?

• Sorry to see the sign go. Our family was very proud to have been a neighborhood fixture for so many years. The new owners did not share the sentiment. I suppose there was no way they could... it was not their family name on the store.

• Returning to the original question: Why would a seemingly successful pharmacy suddenly go out of business, with no replacement business in the works?

Answer: Raid by DEA and FBI

http://www.ag.ny.gov/press-release/ag-schneiderman-announces-arrests-274-million-black-market-prescription-drug-operation

The corporation that bought Maimans = Allion.

• Thankfully, my family has not been involved with the store since it was sold to the present owners. I hate that our family name is no the store associated with this alleged scam.

• Yes, hopefully people wont judge your family by these allegations that have nothing to do with you.

That said, I wonder if the sign was seized by the feds. They often seize all of the assets of a business alleged to be involved in criminal activities, this way they can potentially sell them to recoup some of their losses.

If I'm right, the sign may be featured at a federal auction in a few years....

• Does anyone know what's happening with the old Maimans place?

• Perhaps this will be a final comment on the sign but, in the '50's and early '60's, the Maiman's sign was not anything special among the neon signs in the area. Many of you would have loved to have seen the wonderful neon signage on Barracini and Barton's (both local gift type candy stores). There were many, many others. At one time, as we all know, neon signs were commonplace. The Maiman's sign, just like the store, managed to have a long and successful life until it was sold. The new owners are alleged to have been in some illegal activities which crashed an otherwise successful business and fixture in the community. Given my family name is on the sign, I wish I could have bought it.

• Thanks for sharing Mitchm.

• whynot_31 said:

Returning to the original question: Why would a seemingly successful pharmacy suddenly go out of business, with no replacement business in the works?

Answer: Raid by DEA and FBI

http://www.ag.ny.gov/press-release/ag-schneiderman-announces-arrests-274-million-black-market-prescription-drug-operation

The corporation that bought Maimans = Allion.

The WSJ article below states that the Brooklyn DA has announced that it will be focusing on this type of crime with a new task force.

To the DA's credit, their focus on this type of crime is nothing new. Those who work in the healthcare industry know that this type of crime is pretty widespread; those who work in law enforcement know that this type of crime is very difficult to control.

http://online.wsj.com/article/AP4e1b4a2f0688425b8ee3eb19219ee560.html?mod=WSJ_NY_LEFTAPHeadlines

• If any one is willing to pay 12,500.00 they can rent the spot.

• Black market HIV drugs its very profitable. I'm hoping for a good supermarket that I would love. I would love the supermarket to have wide variety of stuff maybe they could tear down golden crust and the 99 cents store next to it to accommodate the stock

• pulpandbean said:

If any one is willing to pay 12,500.00 they can rent the spot.

P&B-

Do you know if this price is being set by the landlord?

Given the court drama, this property could (conceivably) be somehow in the hands of some goverment entity that is attempting to rent it out.

I do hope that the drama for this site is now over.

• Supermarket please!!!

• Is the Pioneer becoming a supermarket again or coffee shop or both?

• The last I heard, it is going to come Pulp and Bean II and a few small storefronts. Most of the space will be temporarily warehoused.

I can't imagine that the Maiman's space (and the adjoining storefronts) are going to become a traditional supermarket; the rents are just too high.

• too damn high.

• The first step was opening the law office (now open) . The second step is opening The pulp and the bean prob 3wks to a month away. And third, will be opening b&b. This will be abit longer but the project is still active.

• P&B-

Do you know if the price for Maiman ($12.5k a month) is being set by the landlord?

Given the court drama, this property could (conceivably) be somehow in the hands of some goverment entity that is attempting to rent it out.

I do hope that the drama for this site is now over.

• 12,500 per month firm. One month security for every year of the lease ( ten years 125,000.00 security req for example) as per my conversation with the landlord.

• Pup and bean will probably rent it for 12,500 per month! He's the big baller around town he can afford it, he can easily pay that.

• What's commercial space going for accross EP at the new building being constructed?

• pulpandbean said:

12,500 per month firm. One month security for every year of the lease ( ten years 125,000.00 security req for example) as per my conversation with the landlord.

Wow. I can't even imagine a franchise that has that to spend for that small of a place. That will be on the market for a while.

Dmiami, I'll answer your question in the thread on that: http://www.brooklynian.com/forums/topic/the-curious-case-of-341-eastern-parkway-aka-the-hole

• big red "For Rent" signs up all over the property today-- i'd think this is about as prime a location as you can get in CH these days. With B&B2 apparently imminent and this one up for grabs-- is this summer when really visible changes start happening to the south side of Franklin and EP?

• Many of the buildings that line the Southside of EP between the Shuttle tracks and Nostrand have already received upgrades in terms of their appearance.

Has anyone seen lobby attendants (doormen) on that side yet?

• ^ a few years ago the friendly dudes who rolled/lit/smoked/sold blunts in my entryway (on EP) stopped doing so, so in essence-- we LOST our door guys. Now those dumbass IDT folks actually come into the building.

def. haven't seen any... yet. If the doormen's union requires them to have offices-- none of these buildings have those, and they'd have to overtake a 1st-floor apartment in order to do so.

time will tell for sure.

• I wasn't aware the friendly blunts guys were also effective against the IDT "Green Energy" scammers.

Weed smokers no doubt experience their departure as a loss on both fronts.

• This place is getting cleaned out today. I guess someone decided to rent it.

• When I walked by the other day, I saw signs of interior CONstruction, making be believe that DEstruction is over.

I would like to go on record as stating that I would like a Class A, reputable, big bank branch for this location: HSBC or Citibank.

I think the area is now above the level of its present Class B banks: Banco Popular, Capital One, etc.

BTW, the street address is 821 Franklin Avenue

• I heard from a reliable source that there is a new bank branch coming to EP and Franklin, although I'm not sure if its this building or 341 (aka "the Hole")

• A Class A bank tenant in 341 would not surprise me.

• whynot, isn't there already a bank-- or the rumor of a bank-- going in further up frankin?

FWIW convenient though a citibank may be, nothing kills street energy like a storefront of ATMs. Been on b'way on the UWS anytime in the last 10 years? yikes.

• TRKT, how does a bank "kill street energy"?

I don't get it.

• Banks are only open for limited hours, generally have boring storefronts, and don't draw in anyone from outside of the neighborhood.

• Ok, so a destination bar or restaurant would be better, but as compared to yet another bodega, wouldn't a bank be preferable?

• That's not true, ehgee. Most people don't rob banks in their own nabe.

• Now I want a bank for an additional reason: If it is robbed, I can see how far away the robber lived.

• Mid July 2013: Plywood is up!

Indeed, some entity seems to have rented the space, and is busy doing interior and facade construction.

• July 26:

I have learned from a reliable source that this storefront, 821 Franklin Avenue, is in the process of becoming an

"Upscale Deli."

• upscale like Pine Tree? Or upscale like BK larder?

I can see the 2nd option doing OK. the 1st... we want for many things on the south side of EP, but bodega's aren't on that list. There's 3 bodegas already on that block, each with their own solid clientele--including one where i can buy BEER ON CREDIT right across the street.

Still, i guess it's better than a bank...

• I believe this new bodega will offer sandwiches and the like.

...I wish I knew whether they actually agreed to pay the $12.5k that pulpandbean reported that it was listed for.

One has to have serious profit margins and turnover to make that work!

• didn't have time to snap a pic, but went by yesterday in a taxi and-- plywood off. that was fast.

• I would not want to pay a commercial rent without generating income for any longer than was absolutely necessary.

• I wonder if some of these landlords see tenants coming. I read a story today about the Golden Krust closing at Flatbush and Church after the franchisee declared bankruptcy. It turns out she was paying $12,500 for her space out in central Flatbush. That seems so far away from market for that location. Its no wonder the business failed.

• A lot of businesses agree to pay that much in rent because they are new, and don't have a lot of experience knowing what the local market will bear.

They over estimate local demand, and under estimate the amount of work required.

Sometimes, no business can work in a space with that high of rent, and it is not related to a lack of effort by the proprietors..

• Picking the right location and finding the right rent to pay is the most important business decision a new business owner can make. Therefor, its very important to leave it to the professionals. Hire a business consultant to investigate the market and analyze foot traffic and demographics.

After all...the big companies don't walk around a neighborhood to find a space....they hire consultants to tell them where to open up shop.

I am not a business consultant but Maiman's location seems great for a pharmacy since there is a train station right there and the heavy foot traffic at that corner gives it lots of visibility. I believe the owner probably just decided to retire since the pharmacy has been there so long.

• Allegations against Maiman's "new" corporate owner are discussed on the previous page. The owners didn't voluntarily retire.

Yes, hopefully whoever is going to open up an upscale deli in this space rec'd very good advice.

• A pharmacy would have been great...there are no decent pharmacies around! When I needed something as simple as aloe for a sunburn I had to walk to the RiteAid on Bedford. But an "upscale deli" (whatever that means) might be cool too...if it means I don't have to cross EP for my beer shopping excursions.

• August 9: The storefront now has interior blueprints posted on the front window.

One can see that there is a "Cold Cut Area".

Folks, I think this means sandwiches.

Some additional digging has revealed that an entity known as Wise Deli And Grocery Corp has recently been created, and lists 821 Franklin as their address.

http://www.bizapedia.com/ny/WISE-DELI-AND-GROCERY-CORP.html

• Sept 2:

I didn't bother to take a picture, but the storefront has recently put up a nice sign that states "Deli and Grill".

• Sept 4th: Now Open for Business!

This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook