Key food closing - Brooklynian

Key food closing

The key food on 11th and prospect aves is closing on June 30.

Walgreens is replacing it.

Blech

I guess we are gonna starve out here.

I hope people in the neighborhood continue to use the local pharmacies and walgreens has to move out.

Comments

• This is a shame. The space would have made an excellent spot for a permanent green market or public market.

• When I was growing up in East New York during the 50s and 60s Key Food was one of the biggest super markets around. Sad to see them go.

• yeah, I'm not sure if there is another full sized supermarket within a mile.

will probably have to go to Steve's c town on 9th st.

• I've shopped there since it was Bohack's (back in the Neolithic Period). They had such a good selection of organic stuff in recent years & lots of variety. Wierd place for a Walgreen's. Boo, hiss!

• Key Food, Bohack ("The Meat People"), A & P

What were the other major food outlets in the 50s/60s?

Anyone remember?

• I've been thinking about writing to brad lander's office - not sure there is anything that can be done but this community definitely needs a large supermarket, albeit an overpriced one more than we need a walgreen's

• From Lander's office:

Statement on sale of Windsor Terrace Key Food

Posted on June 1, 2012

Statement by Councilmember Brad Lander on Loss of Windsor Terrace’s only Grocery StoreJune 1, 2012

“This is a sad day for Windsor Terrace. With the sale of Key Food, much of the neighborhood will now be more than a mile away from the nearest grocery store. This will have an especially devastating impact on seniors, but the whole Windsor Terrace neighborhood will be harmed by this sale.

“While they are not a replacement for a full service grocery store, I am glad that Windsor Terrace is getting its third farmers market this year, in the PS 154 yard on Sundays. This market will be operating in addition to the new youth-run farmers market I brought to the Windsor Terrace Library last summer that operates on Saturdays, and the long-time market that takes place in Bartel Prichard Square.

“Walgreens has recently expressed interest in expanding grocery options in its stores. I will be communicating with the company to press for this grocery store option for Windsor Terrace.”

• The community meeting regarding Key Food/Walgreen's has been confirmed and is being co-hosted by Assemblymember Jim Brennan, Councilmember Brad Lander, Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz, Community Board 7, and the Windsor Terrace Alliance. Walgreen's has been invited to participate and Brennan's office is speaking with them.

When: Thurs. Jun. 14 at 7:30 p.m.

Where: Holy Name Church (Prospect Park West off Prospect Ave.)

• FOr anyone following this thread, make sure to go to http://GreenBeansNotWalgreens.org for the main site and if you're on Facebook http://facebook.com/GreenBeansNotWalgreens

• While those opposed to Walgreens haven't convinced them to leave and give up the space to a supermarket, they have seemingly made the drugstore state that it will stock fresh produce and meat.

Brooklyn Paper wrote: The Walgreens slated to open in Windsor Terrace will dedicate a “significant” amount of space to fresh produce and meat — a promise that could involve sharing the building with a grocer, company officials say.The nation’s largest drug store chain — which is replacing the neighborhood’s only grocery store — says it will reserve part of the shop for “fresh fruit, vegetables, and frozen meat” and is considering partnering with a company that sells perishables to do so.

http://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/35/35/dtg_windsorwalgreens_2012_08_31_bk.html

This discussion has been closed.