This site is closed to new comments and posts.

Notice: This site uses cookies to function.
If you are not comfortable with cookies then please don't browse this website.

Are realtors vultures? — Brooklynian

Are realtors vultures?

today i got my third realtor asking me if they could list my building with them. they all said they been waiting around for me. i vist that building like few times a week at diffrent times.

Comments

• don't do it!
  • vanilla wrote: don't do it!
    not going to :p. just put up my for rent ad on the boards and craigs list.
  • Subject: Re: Are realtors vultures?

Realtors are definitely not vultures. Vultures feed mostly on the dead. So unless you expect your project to tank...

I would say realtors are more like leeches. Or maybe more like Plasmodium falciparum, which has different life-cycle strategies for infesting different hosts.
  • Subject: Re: Are realtors vultures?

doctorj wrote: Realtors are definitely not vultures. Vultures feed mostly on the dead. So unless you expect your project to tank...

I would say realtors are more like leeches. Or maybe more like Plasmodium falciparum, which has different life-cycle strategies for infesting different hosts.
    so they are parasites :p.
    another one just called after i put up a ad on criags list on the no fee owners ads :(. if i was puting ads myself why bother me!!!! asking if i want to list with them etc..
  • I hope you're asking for two thousand.
  • Idlewild wrote: I hope you're asking for two thousand.
    na i'm asking between 1650 to 1800 fair price

here is the ad ;) http://brooklynian.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4201
  • armchair_warrior wrote: [quote=Idlewild]I hope you're asking for two thousand.

Oy!
  • Idlewild wrote: [quote=armchair_warrior][quote=Idlewild]I hope you're asking for two thousand.

Oy!you are right i should of shot for higher first!!!
  • Remember the old saying, my friend: "Never be afraid to reach higher goals and don't be scared to charge high rents to goofy white kids from the mid-west and Texas".
  • Idlewild wrote: Remember the old saying, my friend: "Never be afraid to reach higher goals and don't scared to charge high rents to goofy white kids from the mid-west and Texas".
    you are right!!! well alot of people are coming to see it on sunday. and i'm not handing out forms yet. only gonna take names and numbers. cause there is no gas yet and i dont want people to hold out for my building. maybe later on i'll change the price when none of them are around anymore :p. my mom yell at me for offering 1650@!!! she was like why didnt you ask me before puting up a price :(.
  • 3 more realtors contacted me!!!!
  • Idlewild wrote: Remember the old saying, my friend: "Never be afraid to reach higher goals and don't scared to charge high rents to goofy white kids from the mid-west and Texas".
    lol :p
  • Hey, I hate to be a wet blanket .... but.

I've been cruising craigslist for apartments this very day (now yesterday), and, Mr. Chair, you have posted the same ad at least 4 times within a 12hr span.

Such a flurry of hawking is not only unnecessary, but ill-advised. You risk coming off as a tad desperate, thereby scaring off some worthy potential tenants.

No doubt you've been inundated regardless. Just a thought.

Good luck.
  • My husband and I are selling our 4 story, 2 fam federal brick. We are going to have our first open house in a few weeks and I am going to try and sell it on my own. This is my 3rd time buying/selling so I feel very comfortable. The last 2 brokers I used were moronic to say the least... (not saying that every broker is). It KILLED me to hand over that 5-6% check. I had 2 appraisals done so I know the price is RIGHT. if anyone wants to see the cheesy website I made, check out

www.273prospectplace.com

Wish us luck. :P

P.S. Armchair, post your apt as many times on CL as you wish... you have to because they get LOST b/c so many people post. I will be posting my house as much, if not more. Good luck renting it! :lol:
  • 11238 wrote: My husband and I are selling our 4 story, 2 fam federal brick. We are going to have our first open house in a few weeks and I am going to try and sell it on my own. This is my 3rd time buying/selling so I feel very comfortable. The last 2 brokers I used were moronic to say the least... (not saying that every broker is). It KILLED me to hand over that 5-6% check. I had 2 appraisals done so I know the price is RIGHT. if anyone wants to see the cheesy website I made, check out

www.273prospectplace.com

P.S. Armchair, post your apt as many times on CL as you wish... you have to because they get LOST b/c so many people post. I will be posting my house as much, if not more. Good luck renting it! :lol:
    Good luck, with a little work and the right investments in marketing it you can do just as well as most of the brokers out there.

If you want an easy way to spruce up your website, check out the templates that are out there, here's one site: http://www.templatemonster.com
    You can change the text and the pictures pretty easily and then you have a professionally done site.
  • 11238 wrote: My husband and I are selling our 4 story, 2 fam federal brick. We are going to have our first open house in a few weeks and I am going to try and sell it on my own. This is my 3rd time buying/selling so I feel very comfortable. The last 2 brokers I used were moronic to say the least... (not saying that every broker is). It KILLED me to hand over that 5-6% check. I had 2 appraisals done so I know the price is RIGHT. if anyone wants to see the cheesy website I made, check out

www.273prospectplace.com

I'll give you ten drachmas for the dog.
  • If you want an easy way to spruce up your website, check out the templates that are out there, here's one site: http://www.templatemonster.com
    You can change the text and the pictures pretty easily and then you have a professionally done site.
    I am going away for over a week. I will try Template Monster when I get back.. Thanks for the tip! 8)
  • Hi armchair, I just posted this one another thread and now can't find it... Don't have hours to wade through all the ins and outs of the message board, sorry...

I actually just called you about that craigslist listing (I am NOT a realtor). I've been looking for months for a decently priced 2-bedroom with some kind of yard access in Prospect Heights... The only other thing I've been able to find is a one-year (not renewable) sublet of someone's garden-level brownstone apartment.

So I'll definitely be coming to the open house. Just wanted to give you a heart-felt thank you for renting for a decent price, and without a broker. Brokers drive me absolutely nuts, and I still can't figure out why landlords (especially in Brooklyn) use them, they just discourage people with any kind of common sense from looking at perfectly acceptably-priced apartments.

Three cheers for broker-free landlords!
  • germfree! wrote: Hey, I hate to be a wet blanket .... but.

I've been cruising craigslist for apartments this very day (now yesterday), and, Mr. Chair, you have posted the same ad at least 4 times within a 12hr span.

Such a flurry of hawking is not only unnecessary, but ill-advised. You risk coming off as a tad desperate, thereby scaring off some worthy potential tenants.

No doubt you've been inundated regardless. Just a thought.

Good luck.
    the reason i posted so many times is stupid ass brokers post on the by owners section anyway. they should start charging.

www.273prospectplace.com

well good luck :). hmm i should check out your place ;). i always have family members who want to get into the hood.
  • damn more brokers contacted me. i thought by not selecting that dont contact me options would make those lousy brokers not bother me :(. i guess i should of put the words no brokers please in there too.
  • Idlewild wrote: Remember the old saying, my friend: "Never be afraid to reach higher goals and don't be scared to charge high rents to goofy white kids from the mid-west and Texas".
    President Bush is looking to rent in Brooklyn? :o
  • Nice place! Why are you selling?
  • armchair_warrior wrote: damn more brokers contacted me. i thought by not selecting that dont contact me options would make those lousy brokers not bother me :(. i guess i should of put the words no brokers please in there too.
    Maybe you could try a different strategy with them. Say that if they want to be your broker so bad, they have to pay half a month deposit up front and half a month on delivery of a tenant you like. You could even put that on your answering machine and an autoreply on your email, to save you time. Remember: leeches give up if the skin is too tough to chew through.
  • doctorj wrote:
    Maybe you could try a different strategy with them. Say that if they want to be your broker so bad, they have to pay half a month deposit up front and half a month on delivery of a tenant you like. You could even put that on your answering machine and an autoreply on your email, to save you time. Remember: leeches give up if the skin is too tough to chew through.
    Yeah, that's a good idea. They charge the poor tenants 12% or the outrageous 15% (if you're Marjorie Thompson) of the yearly rent anyway.

Brokers didn't even get a chance to pounce on the place I got. I took it an hour and a half after the owner put up the ad. hehe.
  • faithful wrote: Nice place! Why are you selling?
    TOO MUCH SPACE... believe it or not. My husband and I decided to be child free after we bought it! :?

We are leaving PH after six years. I am TRULY upset about it but my roots are NYC so we are heading back over the bridge!!! :cry:
  • prusik wrote: [quote=Idlewild]Remember the old saying, my friend: "Never be afraid to reach higher goals and don't be scared to charge high rents to goofy white kids from the mid-west and Texas".

The twins are. Besides, Bush isn't from Texas. He be a CT yankee.
  • Idlewild wrote: [quote=prusik]
    The twins are. Besides, Bush isn't from Texas. He be a CT yankee.

Maybe they could bring their cousins too and they could open an off-label pharmacy. The neighborhood needs one of those.
  • i told one of those realtors. they ask if they can come and show their client my place during a open house or something.

and i went how bout you bring them over and i let them sign a lease but you cant take a profit. since i'm doing all my own work anyway. they were like oh you cant do that. and i'm like well i dont need a broker.
  • armchair_warrior wrote: i told one of those realtors. they ask if they can come and show their client my place during a open house or something.

and i went how bout you bring them over and i let them sign a lease but you cant take a profit. since i'm doing all my own work anyway. they were like oh you cant do that. and i'm like well i dont need a broker.
    Brokers can be helpful but they can waste your time too. I would never let them handle things like leases and credit checks since they don't work for me but I'll let them bring a client by. There are some people who look for an apt by working with one or two brokers only, rather than doing the legwork themselves. By not letting the broker bring them by you miss out on them as potential renters.

That said, don't let brokers come by just to take a look and take pictures, etc. These people are just wasting your time and will most likely never bring a client back. And if a broker makes an appointment and doesn't keep it and doesn't call, don't work with them again. Both these things happen all too often.