Bike share may be delayed
  • According to a report on CBS radio this morning the bike share program that was supposed to start in March may be delayed as all 10,000 bikes that were stored at the Navy yard were under water. The damage is being evaluated.

• While I am pro-bikeshare, I have this fear that it will result in the needless deaths of lots of European tourists who expect NYC drivers to be similar to those of Europe's.

• London and D.C. have found that the bike share crash rate is lower than the overall bike crash rate.

http://www.streetsblog.org/2011/06/16/from-london-to-d-c-bike-sharing-is-safer-than-riding-your-own-bike/

• That is encouraging.

...dead tourists are bad for business.

• But there's always a lot of onlookers and they buy stuff from the hotdog guys in the area so this could be a blow to the local economy. By the way, years ago I was in Amsterdam and those people ride just as crazily as they do here. And there's so many of them that it's tough to walk around. I think they fear trolleys more than motor vehicles.

• It should be interesting to see whether the bike share program escalates the present war between bikers and pedestrians.

• I wonder if the bikes were insured for flood damage or if they can be repaired without rusting. I doubt Citibank will donate another 10,000.

• Most modern bikes are built from metals that don't rust.

• The frames I'm sure won't. But sometimes the spokes, axles and the bearings in the pedals do.

• After a while, they do.

I'd be interested in seeing if it is truly the bikes that were damaged, because they are meant to be rented and returned at outisde locations.

Maybe the machinery that was going to release/lock the bikes was damaged?

I am looking forward to this program.

• The docking stations have electronic components and they were what was damaged. There may also have been damage to the kisoks. From the information in the Times article it seems like the bikes made it through okay.

• Heard a report on CBS radio over the weekend that the bike share should be up and running by May. The machines have to have all the electronics checked as much of that got flooded. They're planning to start with 5500 bikes instead of the 10,000 originally planned.

• The culture chnage that comes from the sudden onset of this many bikes has been interesting to watch.

The car drivers and bikers battle each other.

The pedestrians and bikers battle each other.

If the bikers can convince pedestrians that the city has gotten nicer as a result of increased biking they will win the day.

If not, this program will be short lived.

• If bikers actually start watching out for pedestrians that may happen. But most of them don't give a crap and what's even worse is the clowns who are now riding the electric scooters. I'm just wondering how long it's going to take before a biker will have to start carrying insurance in the case of accident.

• PG-

Requiring insurance of bikers seems very difficult to effectively implement.

On rare occasions, bikers are prosecuted criminally, such as this one that was charged with manslaughter:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303410404577466990820318610.html

• Yes, I agree but there is insurance for Segways so I don't know if it can't be done but I imagine the premiums would be so low that it wouldn't be worthwhile. As an insurance broker I suspect that a biker would be covered under the personal liability portion of their homeowners'/renters' insurance.

• Ah, but (as you are aware) many people do not have such insurance. If they are broke, when they crash into someone, the larger society has to eat the bill.

...I do wonder what insurance the bike share company itself will carry:

If someone rents a bike with faulty brakes and ends up not being able to stop, the bus kills them, and their family sues the bike rental company. ....will the rental company be adequately covered?

• May 2013 is fast approaching.

here's where the stations are supposed to be:

http://a841-tfpweb.nyc.gov/bikeshare/station-map/

here are details about this adventure:

http://a841-tfpweb.nyc.gov/bikeshare/

...this rollout should be interesting to watch.

• And, off we go!

In this instance, they are putting the bikeshare dock on the street, where cars used to park:

http://transportationnation.org/2013/04/08/nyc-starts-placing-bike-share-docks/

• $95 gets you 45 minutes on a bike? Granted you can use it multiple times a day. But still, it just seems like going out and buying a bike makes better sense.

• I'm wondering what the vandalism rate is going to be. After dark, there will be few people around and I'm thinking if too many people can't park there's going to be a lot of slashed tires. What if you get to a dock and there's no working bikes. How long will it take to be fixed? I'm sure they have this planned out but then again, who knows.

• Well, it's informative but it still doesn't bring up the question of vandalism. In addition, I see that a few docks are going to be placed on the sidewalk so, how does that work out for the homeowner/storeowner whose property it's in front of. Are they also going to have to clear the sidewalk around it from garbage, snow, etc. Does it become a liability issue if someone trips over a bike in front of their property? Lots of questions remain unanswered in my mind but then, like I said, I'm sure they have it all figured out.

• You are more sure than I am.

I think they will figure out as it goes along.

• Well, maybe I'm a just "glass is always half full" kinda guy....as Pragmatic as I am.

• newguy88 said:

$95 gets you 45 minutes on a bike? Granted you can use it multiple times a day. But still, it just seems like going out and buying a bike makes better sense.

There seems to be lots of interest, despite the price:

DOT wrote: The NYC Department of Transportation and NYC Bike Share announced that the first 5,000 annual Citi Bike memberships were sold by 3:30 P.M. this afternoon. “New Yorkers are clearly ready to take advantage of the quick, convenient travel our bike share program will provide. It’s a strong early sign of success,” said New York City Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan.

Annual memberships remain available by a simple visit to www.citibikenyc.com and all New Yorkers are encouraged to sign up for this fast and safe transportation option.

• Think about it this way, if you live less than 45 minutes away from work by bike, and have kiosks near home and work, you could commute every day for $95 per year. Even if you only bike May-October, its cheaper than riding the subway.

• I'd factor in some overtime costs.

http://www.citibikenyc.com/pricing

...but, yea, it is going to be very popular. I think not having to find safe parking for your bike, or drag it into your office, is one the main attractions.

Others will absolutely hate it.

• This guy is annoyed that a dock is taking up a spot in front of his store.

I expect we will see a lot of this as time goes on.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bicycles_tough_sit_DYOkQaV61f5Hv5AuWpIHtM

• ....and, so it begins. The backlash against bike share.

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2013/04/bike-share-stations-vandalized-meeting-set/#disqus_thread

This is the just the beginning of an epic show.

• Gee, I thought I predicted something like this would happen last week. Unfortunately it came true. But, I would think this would all go away if the people that were affected would be offered something....cash bribes came to mind. But seriously, I suspect that the people in charge of the bike share program thought that this would be God's gift to the people that wanted it not realizing that there would be just as many that don't and the indifferent ones outnumbering both.

• Actually, they knew that there would be lots of objections, and that (no matter how many hearings, press and notices you provide...) a significant percent of people usually wait until it is rolled out to get vocal and/or begin understand its full impact.

Bike share will prevail, but no one on the team thinks that everyone likes them.

They are completely aware that people hate change, and rebel anytime they perceive they perceives "others" exerting control over what they feel is "their" environment.

• Who uses these things in the other cities where they're successful?

• Here's a demographic study of Washington DC's bikeshare program:

http://docs.trb.org/prp/13-5029.pdf

• I don't think it's that people hate change. I think people don't like their "territory" taken over. To wit, sidewalks, parking spaces in front of houses, businesses, etc. So, this seems like more of a turf fight than one of getting rid of the bikes per se.

• It is both.

...a big part of the turf fight is that they believe that their present customers and neighbors won't be among those using the service.

Time will tell if they are right.

Even if they end up being right, it remains to be seen whether the forces against bikeshare will gain the power required to have it retracted.

Hence, the bikeshare advocates want this to be really popular, really fast.

• Since it's sponsored by Citicorp who I suspect has more money and clout than those against it, I should think that Bikeshare shall become "too big to fail."

• It is great advertising for Citicorp.

Not only does it put their name in wealthy neighborhoods, it puts them in contact with people in their 20s - 40s in those very neighborhoods.

Genius.

• PragmaticGuy said:

I don't think it's that people hate change. I think people don't like their "territory" taken over. To wit, sidewalks, parking spaces in front of houses, businesses, etc. So, this seems like more of a turf fight than one of getting rid of the bikes per se.

I hate this idea that the street, sidewalk and parking spaces are "their territory." Technically it's city property and it belongs to all of us who pay taxes.

As for the corrals being ugly and not fitting in with the neighborhood Street Blog put it best. http://www.streetsblog.org/2013/04/22/speak-up-if-you-think-bike-share-belongs-in-fort-greene-and-clinton-hill/

• The pace picks up...

Transportation Alternatives wrote:

DEFEND BIKE SHARE IN FT. GREENE & CLINTON HILL

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 - 6:30pm to 8:30pm

Do you live in Ft. Greene or Clinton Hill? If so, RSVP to this urgent Town Hall Meeting to defend Citi Bike in your neighborhood.

Thanks to your vocal, outspoken support for the last two years -- Citi Bike, New York City’s new bike share program – is blooming on street corners in your neighborhood. You have probably noticed new stations near your house or your favorite local businesses.

As exciting as this is, the sad truth is that Citi Bike is under attack in your neighborhood. Right now, a vocal minority of residents in your district are putting pressure on Council Member Letitia James to remove Citi Bike docking stations. These residents say the sidewalk outside or the parking spot near their front door isn’t public property. They say, “It’s mine.”

You know how much your neighborhood will benefit from a public bike share program like Citi Bike. You know sidewalks and parking spaces are shared, public spaces, to benefit everyone. Will you speak up?

Attend the Public Meeting about Bike Share in Fort Greene and Clinton Hill and help us pack the room with vocal supporters of bike share in your neighborhood. Be sure to bring your neighbors who can’t wait for bike share to begin. We will send you some facts about Citi Bike and the extensive community process that made it possible if you RSVP.

Save the date and spread the word. Bike share in Ft. Greene & Clinton Hill depends on your participation on Wednesday night!

http://bikenyc.org/event/4407

• As I stated, nothing more than a turf war. But as silly as it sounds on the face of it, this is the way most people feel. Especially if people unfamiliar to them start showing up at all hours of the day and night to get or return their bikes. There will be many battles but I think Bikeshare will win the war. Besides, people have to exercise more since they're still allowed to buy those 32 oz sugary drinks.

• Did anyone go to the Tish James meeting at Banneker last night? Any reports? I didn't realize it was going to be a refereed bickering match, so I'm glad I didn't go, but I would very much like to hear whether the opponents got slapped down. (I don't tune in to the daily politics of this stuff.)

Just reading through old posts on this and other threads, I am disappointed but not surprised to read the same old knee-jerk reactions to this concept that crop up in every single other implementation. I've used the bike share in Montreal, Paris, DC, and Denver, and I just can't overstate what a massive quality of life improvement this thing is. Let me count the ways.

First, when you put this in the context of other public transportation (which is what it is), it is a steal. Basically, if you are riding anywhere within the perimeter of the docking station coverage, you should have no problem finding a station at which to check in and extend your time. If you have the annual subscription, you have 45 minutes to find one of the stations that will be on practically every other block (and the penalty is only $2 if you screw that up). How much is a monthly subway pass again?

So it's much cheaper than other public transportation, but serves the exact same function. This is not primarily for friends who want to take laps around the park with you. It's for people who want to ride to work but can't park their bikes in/near the office (yes, it may be tricky to find bikes to take and spaces to park on major commuter routes); for people who want to ride over to a friend's house and go out from there; for people who need to schlep some stuff farther than they care to walk...in other words, similar to the reasons you take the subway or bus. I have a bike and will be signing up for Citibike, but not so bikeless friends can use it -- they can sign up for a daily/weekly pass.

Third, NYC is lucky to be getting the Bixi-style (same as Montreal & DC) bikes as opposed to the B-Cycles that are in Denver and other cities. The Bixi bikes are more comfortable, compact, and nimble, so they're safer to ride. They're also more cleverly designed, particularly the "baskets," which hold smaller loads but do a better job with their bungee cord straps. The B-Cycles have huge baskets over the front wheel, which makes them very clunky and unstable.

The last thing I'll say is, with regard to Citi's logo being plastered all over the place, I hear you. Fuck Citi. But there are more clever ways to protest than covering up the instructions on how to use the bikes (is your money in a credit union?). Way to be community minded. The fact is, this project is just not possible without major investment, and the city is unwilling to put all of it up. From what I can tell, the reason cities go with B-Cycle is that they can't get that investment. Instead, they rely on large property owners to sponsor stations, so outside the core business district (using Denver as an example) you end up with stations limited to transit hubs, big retailers (e.g., REI), and places like hospitals, which are totally inconvenient. It makes the system incoherent and takes away from the "public" aspect of the transportation.

I wish I understood the psychology of these residents who want to resist any change and set themselves up to get shafted. Not only is it coming, it's a good thing and you actually don't want to be left out. Get in front of it and try to steer it to your maximum benefit. Pick a real battle, like school privatization. Christ.

• Hambone,

Well stated. However, I suspect that many of the people who are into protecting their landmarked districts were able to sent their kids to good schools. Hence, school privitization isn't something that is of much concern.

<-- fans flames

• Ok, pick another issue worth caring about, or is the point that these morons actually don't give a shit about anything that matters?

I wish I had seen this before I posted, it would have saved me some time:

Noisy bike share stations with their corporate advertising will ruin the character of my landmarked neighborhood.

No, you're ruining the character of your landmarked neighborhood by being a douchebag. Your landmarked neighborhood had character exactly until you moved there. London and Paris both have bike share and they fart more beauty and history in their sleep than any Brooklyn neighborhood. The average Tesco is more interesting than your stupid brownstone.

And yeah, bike share stations are so noisy, what with their loud motors and slamming doors and alarms going off all night long.

• Hambone, I think there are a significant portion of people that are against having these kiosks in front of their homes because they are afraid of negative impacts to their property. Have you ever seen bus stops in front of private homes? People lean on or hang their property on the gates, sit on stairs, toss trash down, etc. This creates significant wear and tear on the property as well as additional work for homeowners. The thought of having to host strangers on a hot Saturday or Sunday afternoon isn't really appealing to folks, especially when they had no knowledge that the kiosks were going to appear.

Add to that the fact that if the same person wanted to put a planter or god forbid, their own bike rack on the sidewalk they would be greeted with letters and tickets from the city, waking up to see a row of bikes kiosks on the sidewalk has to be a bit disconcerting.

Once again, I think the city has been a bit ham-handed in how they've handled this. I'm sure there are plenty of property owners that wouldn't have objected to having these facilities in front of their buildings. Finding alternative locations (like on commercial streets in front of commercial properties) really couldn't be that difficult.

• From the city's point of view, I can understand why it did not engage homeowners and businesses more:

Despite that the fact that homeowners and businessess have to maintain the sidewalks, the city actually owns them. The city didn't want to create anymore confusion in the minds of homeowners than already exists.

I think the real fun will start if the city doesn't provide adequate trashcans around the sites, and the city then tickets the homeowners/businesses for litter on sidewalk.

P.S. Cate from Brownstoner appears to have attended the Mtg with Tish last night:

The current locations are not permanent and may be changed later after the DOT evaluates which ones are most popular, DOT reps said.

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2013/04/113286/#disqus_thread

• The thing about bus shelters is, people hang out there. They're shelters. The average length of time a person hangs out at a bike share kiosk is about a minute. Okay, maybe five if it's a tourist or a newbie. And the additional noise will likely consist of (i) the kiosk dinging gently when someone takes out/leaves a bike, or (ii) mild oaths of frustration by the same said tourists/newbies. It will pass. And it definitely won't be more disruptive than having cars park in front of your building.

The same sort of kvetching goes on with merchants every time they put a bike lane on their street. Bitch bitch bitch, all of our business is going to dry up. Doesn't quite work out that way. In other words, the worst part is going to be these model neighbors will actually benefit in the end, even though they don't deserve it.

• Depending on the kind of business one owns the bike docks could be a good thing. I could see some overheated biker stopping in to get a cold drink or maybe someone picking up a meal to take home on an impulse buy if the bikes were parked in front of that kind of business. People need to take more of a "wait and see" attitude than have a knee jerk reaction.

• The thing about bus shelters is, people hang out there. They're shelters. The average length of time a person hangs out at a bike share kiosk is about a minute. Okay, maybe five if it's a tourist or a newbie. And the additional noise will likely consist of (i) the kiosk dinging gently when someone takes out/leaves a bike, or (ii) mild oaths of frustration by the same said tourists/newbies. It will pass. And it definitely won't be more disruptive than having cars park in front of your building.

The tree in front of my neighbors house was, for many years, the place where people hung out while they were waiting to complete their transaction with the local pharmaceutical salesman. Because he had a good business model, customers never waited for more than a minute or two but that was still plenty of time for someone to toss down food wrappers or bottles, toss trash into the yards (in an attempt to hit the garbage cans), lean on the gates or carry on loud cell phone conversations. Just because the length of time is short doesn't mean that it won't impact the people that live there. I can imagine people stopping to arrange belongings in bags, store helmets, fix clothing, etc. None of the individual interactions should be problematic, but again, it creates a different home life for the people that have to live with it.

I'm skeptical that the bikeshare people are going to be big on cleaning or snow removal on the sidewalk or other maintenance and upkeep of anything that isn't their equipment.

I think PragmaticGuy is correct and this could be a win for commercial businesses, which is why it may have made the most sense to put them at intersections where there were businesses that could benefit from them AND THAT WANTED THEM.

Allow businesses to request bike share kiosks. Put them in places where there is actually a limited amount of transportation alternatives. Have enough time on the program that people could actually ride to complete a task outside of their immediate neighborhood. Those are the things that would make bike share seem like it was intended to actually benefit the people already living here.

• Homeowner-

I think you are getting at the issue, and that is that Bikeshare isn't designed for the people who already live here; The people that live here are but a small contingent of the stakeholders in this.

Other stakeholders include people who visit here, people who work there, people who shop here.

Needless to say, each group wants their concerns to be most important.

Everyone wants the authority to approve such programs on whether it is good "for them", but (in this case, and in many others) that authority/power is/was not distributed more widely, because the potential risks were deemed to exceed the gains.

This Manhattan blog has a lively discussion going on with its readers: http://evgrieve.com/2013/04/making-way-for-citi-bikes-docking.html

• Bike Advocacy groups are publishing this info graphic:

Click this link to make it readable: http://momentummag.com/downloads/7775/download/M60_FEAT_BikeBiz_Infographic.png

The first Community group has filed a lawsuit: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130430/west-village/village-co-op-owners-sue-stop-bike-share-installation

• whynot_31 said:

The first Community group has filed a lawsuit: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130430/west-village/village-co-op-owners-sue-stop-bike-share-installation

Ugh, Can't we do anything ANYTHING in this city without a dozen people lawsuits being filed? Glad, to see the judge promptly threw this suit in the trash. The judge who oversees the ongoing Prospect Park west bike lane lawsuit could learn a thing or two.

• While I am not particularly emotionally invested in this fight, I know a few people who are working on the launch.

They are doing everything they can to win the media wars, and all the big-wigs know that now is the time to grant the interviews:

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20130428/TRANSPORTATION/304289975

• Nothing is sacred:

Even normal bike racks are being displaced for citibike racks.

http://gothamist.com/2013/05/01/cyclists_turn_on_citi_bike_for_elim.php

• A show of force is tonight, May 2nd:

http://bikenyc.org/event/4609

• Retuning to the subject of "will these new riders and tourists be slaughtered by cars?"

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/07/nyregion/bike-riding-in-city-traffic-take-notes-please.html?ref=nyregion&_r=0

• It's nice that all these kids are supporting, but unless they are going to become annual members at $95 bucks a shot, its unlikely they'll be buying a day pass.

The fine print says you have to have a credit or debit card with at least $100 on it for your rental. They put a hold on your card for the $100 amount and it may not be released for up to ten days.

When you purchase a 24-Hour or 7-Day Access Pass to Citi Bike, a preauthorization hold of $101 per bike is placed on your card account. This is a not a settled charge against your account. It serves as a security deposit and will be released when the hold expires. Holds may last up to 10 days, depending on your credit card company.

And you'll need to actually swipe the card each time you get a bike, so no using mom and dad to make the reservation unless they also hand the card over to you.

• Homeowner-

I think everyone knows that these kids are pawns in a game they may know little about.

...the trick is to claim that they are part of "your supporters" before the other side does.

• Needless to say, bike advocates across the city are providing any and all media with press releases and/or "interviews" which require no editing before publishing.

This allows the reporters to meet their deadlines, and then go out enjoy the nice weather:

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20130510/brooklyn/bike-lanes-cycling-events-make-brooklyn-biking-better-than-ever

• It may be working. Even The Post is running harmless articles....

This article gives almost no press to those opposed to the program:

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/they_better_be_worth_the_weight_9anUe041bRMPHL177ZI1bI

• The Times seems to be painting those against Bike Share as being afraid of change:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/15/nyregion/complaints-rise-as-bike-share-program-nears.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

• A few Bed Stuy bike shop owners express what seem to be pretty honest and insightful views on the potential effects of bike share and neighborhood changes on their businesses:

http://ourtimepress.com/2013/05/17/local-bicycle-shops-embrace-citys-rent-a-bike-program/

• Bike share app was turned on today. Tells you where there's available bikes and docking spaces. CBS 880AM did not report what systems (Android, iOS, Windows) it was available on but I'll gamble that it's available on all of them. My Android phone is nearly three years old and doesn't have Google Play Store but a quick check of the Android market doesn't turn up anything for New York.

• This weekend, all of the existing stations are supposed to be filled with bikers and the program begins.

In about three months, those who are presently saying that bikeshare will destroy every good aspect of NYC, will say they never said that.

• Bike share starts Monday. Hopefully this will work out. And hopefully people will have towels with them so they can wipe off the wet bikes from the rain we're to get this weekend.

• Well that was fast one already got stolen. http://gothamist.com/2013/05/27/first_citi_bike_stolen.php

I think the theif is going to have a hard time finding a fence or a buyer for it though. Assuming of course he just didn't want to take it for a ride.

• Hell, I heard that $80,000 worth of merchandise was stolen from the Brooklyn Costco before it even opened. What's one bike.

• Heard a report on CBS 880am from Joe Connelly this morning about a new job in New York. I don't know if it's true. The job was bike rack attendant. What these people are supposed to do is, overnight, move the bike share bikes from the racks in the neighborhoods back to the ones closer to the train stations where's supposedly they'll be needed more in the morning. Didn't sound logical to me as the people who rode the bikes to near their homes would take them back to the stations themselves the next morning. But, anything is possible.

• PG-

How about the scenario in which you live in Brooklyn, but work at 14th st in Manhattan. You ride the subway to work in the AM.

Then, you decide to ride a citibike to your 3 PM mtg at 34th st. You pick it up at 14th, and park it at 34th.

At 5 pm, take the subway home.

• The one I've heard bandied about is where someone rides a bike to work in the morning, it starts raining in the afternoon, and they take public transit home.

• Although this wouldn't be typical behavior for me, I could:

Ride bike to a docking station near a bar

Go to said bar

Meet someone good looking.

Take a cab with them to their house.....

• Or...you both check out a bike and ride to her house. As for your scenario of riding to the meeting and taking the subway home Whynot, it's certainly something that's probable. Like I said, I just didn't know if it was true because I haven't heard anything else about it.

• It is certainly true that they have hired folks to drive trucks to reshuffle the bikes.

• Has anyone on here tried the app that's supposed to be for one's smartphone to see if it's working? It was turned on last week but no one has mentioned it.

• I have heard it works.

The overseas press is starting to comment on this being launched in NYC: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/bike-blog/2013/may/24/new-york-citi-bikes-what-expect

• Letterman had a great joke about the bike share few nights back. Said, it's a great program, you pick one up, ride it awhile and dump it off. Sort of like a Taylor Swift boyfriend.

• This article is completely dismissive of the concerns of critics.

Clearly, the writer does not feel any pressure to give weight to their views: http://www.businessinsider.com/complaints-about-citi-bike-share-are-wrong-2013-6

• The advocates seem to be winning the media war. It should ge interesting to see if they continue to win the Community Board processes. Satmar Brooklyn (the Williamsburg ultra orthodox sect) should be interesting....

The CH Lubavitch seem as if they do not uniformly perceive Citibike as a threat.

• As a result of starting from Manhattan and working its way out, bikeshare is vulnerable to accusations that it is targeting neighborhoods and demographics that have the most money (white people...), as opposed to those who have the biggest transportation problems (non-white people who live far from subway lines). The latter groups constiture the vast majority of the city.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323844804578531491180299954.html?ru=MKTW&mod=MKTW

Because Bikeshare requires a credit card to open an account, I can't imagine it EVER coming to many parts of the city.

A lot of things can't be offered at all, if they must be offered to everyone. Bikeshare seems like it is one of them.

• I don't have a problem with the way that they approached this (only putting private money into it with a very small gov't share), but then don't tout it as anything other than what it is, an alternative transportation system run by a private company for tourists and selected NY'ers. If its not accessible to 90% of city residents, then why isn't it considered fringe transportation like Access-A-Ride?

Unfortunately, the city won't do that because they need to fiction of it being a city system to allow them to take liberties like towing cars to install bike kiosks for a private company.

• Yes, I would agree, the organizers were smart when they accepted/solicited government support. As you point out, they likely recognized that they needed the power and authority that comes with such funding, more than the actual funding.

After a while, this tactic will fail to work. Then, the minority of people who use Bikeshare will fill volunteer to seats on Community Boards that have been resistent.

After approving it in those disctricts, they will state "You could have spend your time and the time and energy volunteering for the Community Board and had your opinion count", as if everyone has equal amounts of time and energy.

...it is just a matter of trying to guess the exact date the above quote will be made.

• The software glitches are making the effort vulnerable to statements like, "I support bikeshare, but this isn't how to do it. This system sucks".

http://www.wnyc.org/blogs/transportation-nation/2013/jun/11/problems-what-problems-ny-officials-bat-citi-bike-complaints-away-adjustment-period/

• Saw a report on the news that over 1,000,000 miles have already been ridden on bike share bikes. I think that's a great sign of how well the program is working and to rack up that kind of mileage in such a short time shows it was definitely filling a need.

• I also think that it is having its desired political effect.

Bikers have long been marginalized, and when you put a bunch of "pretty normal" people on Citibikes it tends to force entities like the NYPD to listen to their concerns more.

In this article, the program was mentioned in the context of changing how accidents are investigated:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/24/nyregion/police-unit-taking-closer-look-at-deadly-crashes.html?ref=nyregion&_r=0

• steveo said:

London and D.C. have found that the bike share crash rate is lower than the overall bike crash rate.

http://www.streetsblog.org/2011/06/16/from-london-to-d-c-bike-sharing-is-safer-than-riding-your-own-bike/

Contrary to my fears, New York citibike riders are remaining relatively injury free: http://www.streetsblog.org/2013/07/03/the-citi-bike-story-no-ones-talking-about-only-three-injuries-in-500000-rides/

• This guy has the hang of it:

• Pretty good acrobatics considering that the bike weighs 45 pounds. Heard this morning on CBS radio that NYC has already made $10,000,000 in revenue off bike share since it's started. They're looking to expand the program in Brooklyn and to Queens but no time frame was given. Was walking around the lower part of Manhattan last Saturday and there were very few bikes in the racks. Must be one of the most successful things the city has done.

• Yes, they are already talking about Phase III.

Although somewhat dated, this document shows the plans to make the program self sufficient and allow Franchise opportunities.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/transportation/bike_share_part7.pdf

The goal is that eventually people won't be able to "blame" citibank for imposing these bikes on their neighborhoods.

Instead, it will be "locally owned and operated".

Some very smart minds are behind this project....

• The inevitable lawsuits begin:

http://dnain.fo/15KQgKx

• Occasionally New York City gets something right. This appears to be one of those times.

• Privately owned cars are no longer the exclusive constituency that must be bowed to.

The ungovernable, untameable city is being forced to do the once unthinkable: adapt to slow tourists on bikes.

I'd like to get Ed Koch's take on it....

• Just read a great article on Bloomberg.com that stated that two of the biggest problems so far are

1. No bikes available at times at a given station

2. No available spaces to dock the bike at a given station because it's filled.

One guy claimed he couldn't get an open spot for 40 minutes and missed his meeting. Waaah. Oh, the first world problems people have to put up with.

This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook