Corner of Empire Boulevard and Bedford Avenue
  • There used to be a gas station on this corner, next to the carpet store. It stopped being a gas station and only served as a car servic place. It closed down over a year ago and something else has been built there. It seems like it's retail, but I can't tell what it's going to be. Does anyone have any idea?

• There's been a thread about this on the PLG list-serve; competing rumors are a 7-Eleven or a multi-store strip mall. n any case, something very suburban.

• A 7-Eleven would probably cut into the business of the gas station store across the street. Then again, I saw somewhere that the property was for sale.

Now I'm intrigued. I'd like a supermarket to go there. I can't imagine what else could go there and actually turn a profit. :-)

• One block east (on the corner of Bedford and Rogers) there is essentially the exact same type of building. One story commercial with stores and parking. Different stores come and go but it's been mostly vacant for a while now. The only store that has been steady for a few years is the liquor store. And maybe a medical office, not sure if that is still open.

I kinda don't see this new location doing anything different. Maybe a liquor store... Or mobile phone store.

• Also, on a side note. 7-11 has been pretty public about wanting to "replace" the typical NYC bodega with their franchise.

The Big Gulp

How 7-Eleven plans to put the bodega out of business

http://nymag.com/news/features/7-eleven-2012-5/

• I read the article a while ago...and I think 7-11 is good. Am I wrong in this? I get that they make the neighborhood have less charm or whatever, but I think that they are good overall for customers and bodega owners...

bodega owners get to buy into a franchise that will make them more money and will be able to use data tracking to see what sells well to do better. I wish my local bodega did that. Even talking to them in person about their lack of even decent beer and buying every non macro brewed six pack in the place when we visit, you'd tahini they'd change their purchasing.

xlizellx said:

I read the article a while ago...and I think 7-11 is good. Am I wrong in this? I get that they make the neighborhood have less charm or whatever, but I think that they are good overall for customers and bodega owners...

I think 7-Eleven would be good too. New construction of anything is a good sign. There isn't a bodega on Empire between there and the Prospect Park train station. So much for bodegas being ubiquitous.

• One of these stores will be a 7Eleven. Their sign is on the marquee already. They will have big gulps until Bloomy shuts them down. Actually, if they are a grocery store then maybe they get a pass. It's not a gas station on this corner anymore.

it's a nice addition to the area, along with the new bank. Especially if they are open 24 hours. My only complaint is how they added parking in front, it's out of character and ugly. Hope they decide to put tables out there instead.

• IMO, Red Slurpees are the best part of 7-11, not Big Gulps.

• I wouldn't mind the bodegas buying into the 7-11 franchise. As a consumer I can't recall how many times I've seen dusty outdated items in the shelf. Wouldn't be so bad to have some regulation there.

• The first store has opened up in that space...and it's not 7-Eleven. It's a small store that apparently sells a variety of inexpensive items. It's in the space right next to the carpet store.

• I walked by this strip mall this weekend (late August 2013), and although 7-11 is not yet open, one is certainly coming.

The signs have begun to go up.

photo: http://theqatparkside.blogspot.com/

• These ugly strip malls with the parking out front have been opening all over East Flatbush, many with 7-Elevens in them. And most with pawn shops as well -- hoping that's not the fate of this location.

• I think the 7-11 will go into the storefront on the left.

If my memory is correct, the storefront on the right seemed to have been occupied by a dollar store, and the two middle storefronts vacant.

• If my memory is correct, the storefront on the right seemed to have been occupied by a dollar store, and the two middle storefronts vacant.

The one next to the 7-11 will be a pharmacy. Permanent signage is up. Another spot has a Metro PCS awning on it. I'm not sure what's in the middle of the two. Only one spot may be vacant and it's the one next to the cheap goods store.

• The store index lists Pizza Hut as a tenant, to go with the pharmacy, MetroPCS and dollar store. Nothing like more fast food to round out Empire Boulevard (sigh).

• dmiami said:

Also, on a side note. 7-11 has been pretty public about wanting to "replace" the typical NYC bodega with their franchise.

The Big Gulp

How 7-Eleven plans to put the bodega out of business

http://nymag.com/news/features/7-eleven-2012-5/

blecch.

• photos: Daniel Ivy

• I wanted a pizza shop a little closer by but not a Pizza Hut!

I wonder why someone felt there was a need to put a pharmacy right there when Rite Aid is two blocks up.

• Soon, Empire will look like a Rt 25 on Long Island, or any number of other suburban blvds.

All it needs is a Taco Bell and a Panerra Bread.

• The KFC building just up Bedford, which is being torn down to build a TD Bank, also had a Pizza Hut.

• dmiami said:

The KFC building just up Bedford, which is being torn down to build a TD Bank, also had a Pizza Hut.

Yes, I remember that. I was scratching my head when that KFC/Pizza Hut closed down permanently.

I was hoping for a sit-down establishment from the Pizza Hut. Also, why not bring back the KFC as well?

I would totally patronize a Panera if someone were to put it there. It's a notch above the fast food joints that ubiquitous between Bedford and Flatbush Avenues.

• A good, non-kosher, bagel place seems like it would do well on this strip.

I'd feel like I was visiting my friend in Levittown, Long Island.

• Update: The 7-Eleven signage is now up on the building (in the spot closest to the corner).

The store that was selling cheap goods has now gone out of business and that spot is vacant.

thecameralady said:

A 7-Eleven would probably cut into the business of the gas station store across the street. Then again, I saw somewhere that the property was for sale.

The property in question was the gas station at 157 Empire Bouelvard. This is the real estate listing.

I noticed this week that the gas station (the one next to the Burger King) is now closed and boarded up. I wonder what will come there next.

• I believe the gas station on Empire & Bedford and the one on EP & Bedford are both owned by ConocoPhilips. Both have been listed for sale recently but are no longer listed... Its not clear if they sold or just aren't listed for sale any more, but apparently the one on Empire is at least not in business any more.

The gas station on EP is still open.

Also, CB9 is revisiting zoning on Empire (among other areas).

• cameralady wrote: I noticed this week that the gas station (the one next to the Burger King) is now closed and boarded up. I wonder what will come there next.

Yup.

Plywood is going up today.

• Update: The 7-Eleven is now open.

I went in briefly this evening. It's clean, shiny, and new. Yet, somehow it seems to be a bit small to me.

By the way, tax is charged on chips. Bodegas don't charge sale tax on chips! I don't expect to goo in there very often.

• Construction has started to take down the awning over the former gas station on Empire Boulevard and Bedford Avenue.
  • Pizza Hut may now be open.Their corporate site lists 140 Empire as a location....
  • Pizza Hut is open (although it closed early last night because of the snowstorm).it doesn't sell pizza by the slice, which is disappointing. I'd rather have a place that sells pizza by the slice.
  • Strip mall now complete:

Photo not by Whynot.
  • The strip is complete-as long as the tenants were to remain there for a while. There was one variety store (that occupied the last space on that strip) who was there very briefly. 
  • What's the store on the far right?  Looking forward to wandering down there for Slurpees once the weather warms up.
  • whynot_31 said:

cameralady wrote: I noticed this week that the gas station (the one next to the Burger King) is now closed and boarded up. I wonder what will come there next.

Yup.

This former gas station, along with the one at EP and Bedford, have the same owner; Cumberland Farms.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumberland_Farms

They operate convenience stores. Which leads me to two possibilities:

1. We are going to get a convenience store, with or without gasoline. If it has gas, it will get new tanks.

2. They have removed the gas tanks because they plan to sell the site. It is unknown what we will get.
  • mcpoet said:

What's the store on the far right?  Looking forward to wandering down there for Slurpees once the weather warms up.

For now some sort of music and dance academy. 
  • whynot_31 said:

whynot_31 said:

cameralady wrote: I noticed this week that the gas station (the one next to the Burger King) is now closed and boarded up. I wonder what will come there next.

Yup.

This former gas station, along with the one at EP and Bedford, have the same owner; Cumberland Farms.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cumberland_Farms

They operate convenience stores. Which leads me to two possibilities:

1. We are going to get a convenience store, with or without gasoline. If it has gas, it will get new tanks.

2. They have removed the gas tanks because they plan to sell the site. It is unknown what we will get.

We are getting another storage facility: http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44318/empire-and-bedford-will-be-#Item_2

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook