851 Franklin For Sale (near President)
  • Hmmm quick RE math

25% down would be about 140K/yr for the mortgage at 5%

45K in taxes a year

I have no idea what maintenance on a bldg like this would be... I imagine fuel costs to be maybe 30K/yr

Total rent is 304K/yr based on what they say

So from what I see annual before tax income would be about 90K. After taxes thats about 60K. Thats not counting maintenance though. So this could be like a 5-8% after tax return. Thats not too fucking shabby, considering people are charging damn near $50/sf in "updated" units near by.

• In this case, I don't feel like doing an analysis about whether it is a good deal, but am just consistently putting out the message that properties are changing hands very quickly.

• "I have no idea what maintenance on a bldg like this would be..."

Some very important details are missing. Biggest of which is operating costs.

Water and sewer should be 15k-20k per year. Then you have insurance/repairs/maintenance among other unforeseen expenses (legal, accounting, fines...etc). Just from the picture of the building on google map I can tell that the fire escape needs to be scraped and painted (about 4k). If a simple fire escape is not maintained, its most likely the mechanical's in the building are not properly maintained...which can cost a small fortune to replace.

You also have to consider the amount of time you will have to invest. You can't just site home and collect rent! You will have to get involved and you will be at the building very often making sure things run smoothly. Especially the first 2 years.

It would interest me at 1.5 million ....its definitely not an investment for someone with no experience managing property.

• I would be interested in knowing how long the market rate units have been "market rate", because this would give me some insight as to when this building's cash flow might have improved.

My assumption is that when a building doesn't have a good cash flow, it is maintained accordingly.

• $1.5m is apparently in the ballpark for a two-fam a few blocks north. But this is a pig in a poke, so to speak. I'd want it delivered vacant.

• $1.5m is apparently in the ballpark for a two-fam a few blocks north.

The 2 family is not an investment property. You can't compare the two. There is a 1 family in prime slope that is worth much more then my mixed use building in prime slope. Additionally, if you buy this building ...your most likely not going to live in it.

because this would give me some insight as to when this building's cash flow might have improved.

- That would be speculative and is a dangerous gamble. I only buy based on current income production...not what it might generate in the future.

I'd want it delivered vacant.

It must be rent stabilized...or even worse, some apartments might be rent controlled. It would be incredibly hard to remove those tenants. You will have to pay them off to leave.

• I wonder if the below market tenants have already been offered a payout, but declined it.

Clearly, it is in the sellers interest to be able to deliver the building with the least number of such units. But, if I had made such attempts and failed, I would want to hide that fact.

In terms of cash flow, the only thing worse than below market tenants is probably healthy, Resilient below market tenants.

Some tenants, of course, perceive the payouts as huge windfalls. A lot of Urgently Due credit card debt is probably paid off with them.

• whynot_31 said:

I wonder if the below market tenants have already been offered a payout, but declined it.

Clearly, it is in the sellers interest to be able to deliver the building with the least number of such units. But, if I had made such attempts and failed, I would want to hide that fact.

In terms of cash flow, the only thing worse than below market tenants is probably healthy, Resilient below market tenants.

Some tenants, of course, perceive the payouts as huge windfalls. A lot of Urgently Due credit card debt is probably paid off with them.

Not sure I like the implications here, esp given your overall attitude in the clearing out of "old" buildings and tenants.

Those folks have the right to live there just like anyone else, and aren't necessarily irresponsible or undesirable because their rents are lower than the average newcomer.

• It's all a matter of perspective. They're quite reasonably undesirable to landlords because their rents are lower than the average newcomer.

• CTK-

My assumption is that those who take the payouts are pretty desperate.

This assumption is not the same as being undesirable or not responsible.

It simply is that they are willing to take fast cash to deal with immediate needs, despite this decision not -perhaps- not being beneficial for them in the long term.

Legally, the tenant gets to decide whether to take the offer, negotiate more, or stay put.

I suspect a lot of them pay off urgently due credit card debt because I think that would be one of the few circumstances in which I would take such a payout if I was a below market tenant, because I like living in Western Brooklyn.

• August 8: This building is still for sale.

• Sold for $400k more than asking!

---
    A multifamily building at 851 Franklin Avenue in Crown Heights has sold for $3.25 million, or $385 per square foot.

The four-story, 16-unit building has 15 one-bedroom apartments and one two-bedroom. Nine of the units are free‐market. The average monthly rent in the building was $1,469, according to the TerraCRG listing.

The 8,400-square-foot property traded for $400,000 over the original asking price.

The building went on the market in March 2013.

“Crown Heights has experienced significant growth over the last decade,” TerraCRG’s Michael Hernandez said in a statement. “The sale price per square foot for 851 Franklin Ave is significantly higher than the average for 2013, which was $182 per square foot.”"
    ----
    Source:

http://news.buzzbuzzhome.com/2014/02/851-franklin-avenue.html

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook