tight Park Slope / Windsor Terrace rental market? — Brooklynian

tight Park Slope / Windsor Terrace rental market?

Hello all,

I'm in the market for a 2BR apartment in either PS or WT, starting mid August or Sept. 1. I've done quite a bit of checking on Craigslist, and there seems to be a lot of apartments out there. Since I am out of town for the summer, however, I called a couple brokers, including Corcoran, for advice. I had lived in PS and WT in a few sublets last year, but obviously the apartment hunt is quite a bit different.

Both told me that there was more demand than supply for apartments. One only had maybe 3 listings, at least in my price range, and the other did not yet give me any listings but was going to email me later the few that she had.

This seems to contradict what I found in Craigslist. What's going on in reality?

Are more owners people posting to Craigslist or going to smaller brokers who then post on Craigslist, rather than hitting the bigger ones? I did see a lot of for-fee apartments, but quite a few no-fee ones as well.

What's the market really like out there?

THanks!

Comments

• Well, I did just find a 2BR in PS, so they are out there. It was a owner-listed one, and I saw the listing literally less than an hour after it was posted, and got to the place 15 min later. I was the second person to look at it and took it right away. Good thing too because the first person that looked at it called the guy back WHILE I was there paying the deposit and said she wanted it. Sometimes you have to be that quick!!

As far as realtor listings go--it has always been my experience that many realtors exaggerate their listings or list non-existant apartments. When you call about that one on Craigslist, it has already been "rented" and they want to show you something more expensive. Sometimes those listings are just a get you in the door tactic.

That said, if you're diligent, you will find something! My mantra when hunting is always, "I only need ONE apartment. I only need ONE apartment." There may be a small number of listings, but there may be a gem in there.

Good Luck!!
  • caaahyoko wrote: Well, I did just find a 2BR in PS, so they are out there. It was a owner-listed one, and I saw the listing literally less than an hour after it was posted, and got to the place 15 min later. I was the second person to look at it and took it right away. Good thing too because the first person that looked at it called the guy back WHILE I was there paying the deposit and said she wanted it. Sometimes you have to be that quick!!

[snips]

Good Luck!!
    yarrggfhh!

Like I mentioned above, I'm out of town. I'm planning a trip to Brooklyn (still need to purchase a flight) to get something. I hope timing of the trip coincides with something nice.

what did you wind up paying (and was there a fee?). PM me if you don't want to say in public... please? :)
  • $1600, no fee. 2 month security. Its not huge, but I have sole use of the backyard. And I'm in PS South, not prime PS. Which is totally cool with me. There's more stuff I like past 9th street than above.

I hope something is available when you're here! If it makes you feel any better, I've always been able to find something on the day I choose to go look at places. This place I just happened to take early because it was such a good deal.

Don't worry!!!!
  • caaahyoko wrote: $1600, no fee. 2 month security. Its not huge, but I have sole use of the backyard. And I'm in PS South, not prime PS. Which is totally cool with me. There's more stuff I like past 9th street than above.

I hope something is available when you're here! If it makes you feel any better, I've always been able to find something on the day I choose to go look at places. This place I just happened to take early because it was such a good deal.

Don't worry!!!!
    wow! in park slope? even if it's not huge, that's an amazing price. no wonder it went so fast. I assume you got the listing off of craigslist? WOW.
  • I just decided not to move from my 2-ish BR railroad in PS South for this exact reason. The market is definitely tight right now - my apartment has some downsides, but nothing that makes me want to join the CL race again. Our neighbors down the block just rented their top floor apt - it was up 5 minutes on Craigslist before someone called about it; they showed up 2 hours later and took the place, and in that time six other people had called expressing interest. Insane!

My sense is that everyone wants to move by Sept. 1 (supposedly that's the busiest moving day of the year in NY). If you can afford to wait until after then, it might be easier. See also this Curbed post about the "crazy" state of the rental market right now http://www.curbed.com/archives/2006/07/19/curbed_roundtable_state_of_the_rental_market.php with one commenter calling this summer in brooklyn "worse than last summer in manhattan."
  • pieinthesky wrote: I just decided not to move from my 2-ish BR railroad in PS South for this exact reason. The market is definitely tight right now - my apartment has some downsides, but nothing that makes me want to join the CL race again. Our neighbors down the block just rented their top floor apt - it was up 5 minutes on Craigslist before someone called about it; they showed up 2 hours later and took the place, and in that time six other people had called expressing interest. Insane!

My sense is that everyone wants to move by Sept. 1 (supposedly that's the busiest moving day of the year in NY). If you can afford to wait until after then, it might be easier. See also this Curbed post about the "crazy" state of the rental market right now http://www.curbed.com/archives/2006/07/19/curbed_roundtable_state_of_the_rental_market.php with one commenter calling this summer in brooklyn "worse than last summer in manhattan."
    Yeah, its no joke out there. While I was looking at the place people were calling every 30 seconds. Literally.

Sept 1st is always a double edged sword. There are usually more places available, even though there are more people looking. It doesn't seem like there's much this year though. My lease doesn't actually expire until Aug 31st, but we agreed to pay for this place starting Aug 1st. The overlap is worth it this year.
  • caaahyoko wrote: My lease doesn't actually expire until Aug 31st, but we agreed to pay for this place starting Aug 1st. The overlap is worth it this year.
    If you don't find a sublet for after you move, you should have a big party in the empty apartment after you move out!
  • i put that ad up for two days straight and i'm still getting calls from criags list after like a week now. there were over 50 people who came to see the place for one open house i had. man there is like a shortage of housing or something.
  • this morning my girlfriend went to the park with our puppy. she told me (when she got home) that there was an open house on PPW and i think 14th or 15th st. she said the amount of people there was *INSANE*. we were thinking of moving a few months ago, but decided for where we are (safe neighborhood, proximity to park, amazing bars and restaurants within 5 minutes walk, F train 2 short blocks away) that we couldn't do any better for the money.

but we do have some friends looking to move into PS, and they can't find any apartments anywhere... and the ones they do find, are too expensive and/or already taken about 15 minutes before they see the place.

so yeah, i guess PS is a really tough place to move into right now!
  • In June I heard Marty Markowitz speak about "Brooklyn's chronic housing shortage" - evidently nobody has ever seen so much demand for so few affordable apartments. Most new construction is for super-expensive condo's. Markowitz said that initiatives to provide affordable housing were going to be made in Red Hook, Bedford-Stuyvesant, Ocean Hill and Brownsville.

Afraid PS and PH will continue to offer small inventories at high prices.

In 11 years here in PS I have seen the rental and resale market go through the roof - where's the bubble?
  • Carnivore wrote:
    If you don't find a sublet for after you move, you should have a big party in the empty apartment after you move out!
    :twisted: Hehehe. Good thinking. I'll be out of my place on the 19th.

I should have a spackle party. Everyone that comes has to fill in one hole before they get to drink.
  • Livetotravel wrote:
    In 11 years here in PS I have seen the rental and resale market go through the roof - where's the bubble?
    Does anyone have a big-ass needle?
  • caaahyoko wrote: [quote=Livetotravel]
    Does anyone have a big-ass needle?

I heard that the big-ass needle is busy tattooing Q's ass right now
  • Flexichick wrote:

I heard that the big-ass needle is busy tattooing Q's ass right now
    :shock: :lol: :lol:
This discussion has been closed.