New York Christian Center Academy...has bamboozled us!! — Brooklynian

New York Christian Center Academy...has bamboozled us!!

This school opened up in the former daycare center on Bergen Street and New York Avenue. By the time I get home, I don't see many children, but I do see lots of loitering on both sides of the street a few times a week. We found out they're renting the place for parties on the weekends which equals loitering and no parking spaces for the residents. We also found out that during the week they are conducting AA and NA meetings. Is there anything we can do as residents of the block to terminate such meetings? No this is not a NIMBY issue...we, as residents of Crown Heights know that we are saturated with homeless shelters, halfway houses, etc.

We were very happy when finally the former daycare had a tenant, but now we feel bamboozled! Help!!

Comments

• whynot_31 thanks for the info, but I already have the contact information. I don't think calling them will make them stop having NA / AA meetings! How would you approach?

Thanks!

• Rather than ask them not to host AA/NA mtgs, I would instead ask them to talk to the lead people at the meeting they host.

The lead people at the meeting can likely tell the members things like "it is not ok to smoke in front of the house next door, and hang out and be loud after the meeting", and be listened to.

I say this because AA/NA mtgs are held every night throughout the city, and most are conducted in a way that don't annoy the neighbors.

...you could also just attend the meeting and find said lead people yourself and make said appeal.

• Look faithfull, NA/AA meetings are extremely important. These poor people are trying their best to get their lives back together so they literally don't die. The meetings are saving lives. Are you so self important that you don't want to walk to another block to park your car? On street parking is a privilege not a right. Are they being loud whilst lottering? Are they harassing you? Asking you for money, dope or booze? If not deal with it. Life is kind of inconvenient just be glad your not a crack addict coming down hard.

If you can't stand the idea of organizations trying to help those who desperately need it cause your too lazy to walk down to the next block for your car Jersey is that way. These poor people have bigger issues than that! Have some basic human compassion!

• Whynot_31 thanks for the advice. I'll take it into consideration. Newguy88 and HownCreights first, I never said I was not compassionate towards the people who are seeking help, but They don't have to be so damn loud. It's not a right to park on the street I live on, but it wasn't a problem until these meetings started. Since you guys are so righteous, why don't you host the aa/na meetings on your block? By the way, I'm not a new guy...born and raised in Brooklyn!

Excuse any typos...typing on my cell and a little pissed off about the prejudgment!

• faithful said:

By the way, I'm not a new guy...born and raised in Brooklyn!

Excuse any typos...typing on my cell and a little pissed off about the prejudgment!

Ok first off I never "prejudged" you. You opened your mouth and then got judged as a result. Life changes you might not always be able to park on your street. If their loud file 311 reports and call the cops.

You were born and raised in Brooklyn? Good on you! Someone form the internet will be by shorty with a ceremonial plaque. Where you're born doesnt mean shit in terms of how much say you get in a neighborhood. Things change it's called life deal with it.

• I asked what recourse I had regarding the situation. I don't have to like every change and I have a right to voice my opinion. You still didn't answer my question. Forget about parking because eventually the meeting is over and parking becomes available...we just have to wait--fine! It's just an inconvenience; I can live with that! You still didn't answer my question. I'm sure you would not be jumping for joy if you had na/aa meetings on your block a few times a week with people congregating and talking really loud on the street in the evenings!! As far as being Brooklyn born and raised, no it doesn't give me special privileges, but I know for a fact that Crown Heights North is already doing its part as far as helping people with addictions. My point was that we are already saturated with these types of program, etc. Let the rest of the borough do its part as well!

I'm still waiting for my plaque!!

• I'm not sure you are going to get a plaque.

However, if you ever find yourself in need of a NA mtg, they seem to be spread throughout Brooklyn; the rest of the borough is doing its part as well!

http://newyorkna.org/meetings/simple-search/

Look at all these NA meetings that happen every week!

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Fort Greene) Clean on Sunday 9:30 AM Sunday Fort Greene Senior Center, 966 Fulton St (@St James Pl) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Gerritsen Beach) Surrender on Sunday 9:30 AM Sunday Hibernian Hall, 2202 Gerritsen Avenue O,B,D,NC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Brownsville) Living on Livonia 1:30 PM Sunday Akbar's Self Help, 318 Livonia Ave (Btwn Osbourne & Mother Gaston) O,RF,St,Tr

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bushwick) Freedom on Johnson 2:30 PM Sunday Most Holy Trinity Church, 153 Johnson ave (btw Manhattan ave & Graham Ave) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Coney Island) Serenity On Sunday 3:00 PM Sunday Community Center, Enter Thru Parking lot, 2940 W 21st St. (Surf & Mermaid Aves) O,CS,To,TW,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East New York) Courage to Surrender 3:30 PM Sunday Housing Works, 2640 Pitkin Ave (between Fountain and Crystal) C,RF,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bed-Stuy) The Mission is Over 4:00 PM Sunday Sumner Armory, 357 Marcus Garvey Blvd (Btwn Putnam & Jefferson Aves) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bushwick) La Fuerza 4:00 PM Sunday St. Barbara's Church, 144 Bleeker St O,ES,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA Free at Last 4:30 PM Sunday New Christian Academy, 1173 Bergen Street (Btwn Brooklyn and New York Avenue) O,To

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East Flatbush) A Better Way Step 5:00 PM Sunday Kingsboro Psychiatric Center; Auditorium Bldg 20, 681 Clarkson Ave (@Troy Ave) O,St,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Crown Heights) Relationships in Recovery 6:00 PM Sunday St. Theresa Church, 563 Sterling Place (bet Franklin Ave & Classon Ave) C

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East New York) Alive in Spring Creek 6:00 PM Sunday 2640 Pitkin Ave. (Crystal St.) C,D,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatbush) Primary Purpose 6:00 PM Sunday Our Lady of Refuge, 2020 Foster Ave (Btwn Ocean Ave & E 21st St) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Williamsburg) Southside Steps 6:30 PM Sunday Epiphany Church Center, Rear Entrance Bsmnt, 96 S 9th St (Btwn Bedford Ave & Berry St) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bath Beach) Dyker Heights Recovery 7:00 PM Sunday St Francis Cabrini School, 1st Floor, Basement 8645 16th Ave. (@86th St) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY (Bay Ridge) Sunday Steps 7:00 PM Sunday Regina Pacis Yourth Center, 1258 65th Street (Between 12th & 13 Avenues- 1 Hour) C,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Midwood) Clean at Last 7:00 PM Sunday St Brendan's Church, 1520 E 13th St (@Ave O) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Sunset Park) People in Focus 7:00 PM Sunday 59th Street Church, 749 59th St (Btwn 7rd & 8th Aveues) O,B,IP,RF,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bed-Stuy) Life in Recovery 7:30 PM Sunday Ready Willing & Able, Basement, 520 Gates Ave (@Tompkins) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Sheepshead Bay) Russian Group - Steps 1, 2 & 3 8:00 PM Sunday St Marks Rectory basement, 2609 E 19th Street (Between Jerome Ave and Avenue Z) C,St

Brooklyn, Brooklyn, NY, USA (Brooklyn Heights) Glad in Recovery 7:00 PM Monday 109 Remsen St. (Btwn Clinton & Henry St., Brooklyn) GL

Brooklyn, NY, New York, USA (Bed-Stuy) We Qualify 7:00 PM Monday F.C.B Church, 953 Putnam Ave. (Between Ralph Ave & Howard Ave.) O

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatbush) Midday Miracles 10:00 AM Monday Flatbush Tompkins Church, 424 E 19th St (@Dorchester Rd Closed on National Holidays) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatbush) Midday Miracles Noon Monday Flatbush Tompkins Church, 424 E 19th St (@Dorchester Rd Closed on National Holidays) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Ft Greene) Recovery in the Afternoon Noon Monday Recovery House of Worship, 360 Schermerhorn St O,B

Brooklyn, New York, N.Y Hope at Two 2:00 PM Monday 2424 Linden Blvd B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bed-Stuy) Recovery on Gates 7:00 PM Monday Ready Willing & Able (basement), 520 Gates Ave (Tompkins) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Brownsville) Foundation to Recovery 7:00 PM Monday Our Lady of the Presentation, Basement, 1677 St Marks Ave (Btwn Rockaway Ave. & Eastern Pkwys) O,RF,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bushwick) Hugs Not Drugs 7:00 PM Monday Unknown Bldg Name, 832 Knickerbocker Ave (Btwn Covert & Schaefer St) O,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bushwick) Fuente de Vida 7:00 PM Monday St Barbara's Church, 144 Bleeker St (@Central) O,ES

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Coney Island) MAYHEM To Miracles 7:00 PM Monday Bridge Back to Life Center, 3044 Coney Island Avenue - 3 Rd Floor (Btwen Coney Island Avenue and Neptune Ave) O,B,NC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Crown Heights) Steps & Traditions on Monday 7:00 PM Monday NY Christian Center Academy, 1173 Bergen Street (Brooklyn & New York aves) RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatbush) Glenwood Topics 7:00 PM Monday Vanderveer Park Methodist Church, 3114 Glenwood Rd (@E 31st St) O,To

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Fort Greene) New Beginnings Steps & Traditions 7:00 PM Monday Brooklyn Gardens, 105 Carlton Ave (Btwn Myrtle & Park Aves) O,St,Tr,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Gerritsen Beach) Beach Miracles 7:00 PM Monday Hibernian Hall, 2750 Gerritsen Ave (Near Florence Ave) C,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Sunset Park) Serenity at Sunset 7:00 PM Monday St Michaels Church, 352 42th Street (Btwn 3rd & 4th Avenues) O,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Williamsburg) Gratitude Speaks 7:00 PM Monday Williamsburg Comm. Ctr., 195 Graham Ave. (Bet.Scholes st. & Manhattan Ave) O,CH,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bay Ridge) Brooklyn Survivors 7:30 PM Monday St Patrick's Church, 9511 4th Ave (Btwn 96th & 97th Sts) O,B,St,To

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bed-Stuy) Staying In The Basics 7:30 PM Monday Unknown Bld Name, 358 Kosciuszko Street (Marcus Garvey Blvd) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bensonhurst) Women at War 7:30 PM Monday St. Mary's Church Rectory Basement, 2326 84th St (Between 23rd & 24th Ave) C,CH,RF,W

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Boro Park) Recovery in Boro Park 7:30 PM Monday St Frances de Chantal Church (Basement), 1273 58th St (@13th Ave) C,B,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East New York) We Do Recover 7:30 PM Monday Housing Works, 2640 Pitkin ave. (Btwn Logan st. & Crystal st.) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Park Slope) Hope in the Slope 7:30 PM Monday Grace United Methodist Church, 33 St. Johns place (@ 7th Avenue) C,St,Ti,Tr

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bensonhurst) The War is Over 8:00 PM Monday St Finbar's Rectory Basement (Enter thru Parking Lot), 138 Bay 20th St (@ Benson Ave) O,CL,St

Brooklyn, New York Recovery in the Garden 8:00 PM Monday Recovery House of Worship, 360 Schermerhorn St O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, U.S.A (Williamsburg) Miracle on Monday 8:00 PM Monday Ready,Willing & Able, 89 Porter Ave. (Between Ingrahm and Johnson) B,SC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatbush) Midday Miracles 10:00 AM Tuesday Flatbush Tompkins Church, 424 E 19th St (@Dorchester Rd - Closed on National Holidays) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatbush) Midday Miracles Noon Tuesday Flatbush Tompkins Church, 424 E 19th St (@Dorchester Rd Closed on National Holidays) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York (Fort Greene) Recovery in the Afternoon Noon Tuesday Recovery House of Worship, 360 Schermerhorn Street O

Brooklyn, New York (Bushwick) Recovery on Woodhull 12:15 PM Tuesday Woodhull Hospital, 760 Broadway (Room 5A-239) B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA Hope At Two 2:00 PM Tuesday Church of the Holy Redeemer, 2424 Linden Blvd (between Montauk and Milford) O,St,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Ft Greene) 3 O'Clock Group 3:00 PM Tuesday Recovery House of Worship, 360 Schermerhorn St O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA Winners On Winthrop 6:00 PM Tuesday 19 Winthrop St. (Bedford Ave & Flatbush Ave.) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bed-Stuy) Serenity on Stockton Street 6:00 PM Tuesday Greater Free Gift, 146 Stockton St (Btwn Tompkins & Marcy) O,B,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Cobble Hill) Steps Today 6:00 PM Tuesday Grace Court Church, 254 Hicks Street (@ Grace Court) O,RF,St,Tr

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Crown Heights) No More Secrets 6:30 PM Tuesday 1173 Bergen Street (NY and Brooklyn Aves) C,To,W

Brooklyn, New York Victory Is Ours 6:30 PM Tuesday Church of the Open Door, 201 Gold St RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bed-Stuy) Tuesday Night Topics 6:30 PM Tuesday Bethany Baptist Church, 460 Marcus Garvey Blvd (Btwn Decatur & Macdonough Sts) O,To

Brooklyn, New York Here We Live Today 7:00 PM Tuesday St Barbara's Church, 144 Bleeker Street (Central Ave & Wilson Avenue) B

Brooklyn, New York, NY Turning It Over 7:00 PM Tuesday Epiphany Church, 96 S. 9th Street (Between Bedford Avenue and Berry Street) B,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bushwick) Here We Live Again 7:00 PM Tuesday St Barbara's, 144 Bleeker St (@Central) O,Pi

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Coney Island) Staying Alive 7:00 PM Tuesday Bridge Back to Life Center, 3044 Coney Island Avenue - 3 Rd Floor (Btwen Coney Island Avenue and

Neptune Ave) O,B,NC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Dyker Heights) S.T.A.R. Group 7:00 PM Tuesday St Philip's Church, 1072 80th St (Btwn 10th & 11th Aves) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East Flatbush) Faith in Recovery 7:00 PM Tuesday Kingsboro Psychiatric Ctr, 2nd fl, 681 Clarkson Ave (@Troy Ave) O,BT,WC,BK

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East New York) Recover & Live / Liberty at Last 7:00 PM Tuesday Our Lady Of The Presentation; (Basement), 1677 St.Marks Ave. (Rockaway Ave & Eastern Parkway) O,B,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East New York) Book Study on the Blvd 7:00 PM Tuesday basement, 2424 Linden Blvd (between Montauk & Milford) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Ft Greene) Ultimate Weapon 7:00 PM Tuesday Ft Greene, 360 Schermerhorn Street, Recovery House of Worshp (Ft Greene) C,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Williamsburg) La Nueva Semilla 7:00 PM Tuesday Sts. Peter and Paul Church, 71 South 3rd St. (Entre Berry St y Whyte Ave) O,B,ES,IP,RF,Rr,SD,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bushwick) Second Time Around 7:30 PM Tuesday Saratoga Comm. Center Entrance on Halsey St. 1st Fl., 940 Hancock Street (Corner Of Saratoga Ave) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Crown Heights) Welcome To Recovery 7:30 PM Tuesday Epiphany School, 916 Lincoln Pl (Btwn Nostrand & Rogers Aves) O,RF,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East Flatbush) Back Together Again 7:30 PM Tuesday St Francis of Assisi, Basement, 400 Lincoln Rd (Btwn Nostrand & NY Aves) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East New York) Together We Can 7:30 PM Tuesday St Peters Church, Upstairs, 94 Hale Ave (Btwn Arlington & Ridgewood) C,To

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Gerritsen Beach) Prime Time 7:30 PM Tuesday St James Church, 2776 Gerritsen Ave (@Florence Ave) C,O,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Park Slope) Seventh Heaven 7:30 PM Tuesday St Francis Xavier, 763 President St (Btwn 6th & 7th Aves) O,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Sunset Park) Miracles on 60th Street 7:30 PM Tuesday Our Lady of Perpetual Help, 545 60th St (Btwn 5th & 6th Aves) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bed-Stuy) New Attitude 7:45 PM Tuesday Our Lady of Victory, 163 MacDonough St. (@Throop) O,St,Tr

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bed-Stuy) Deliverance on Gates 8:00 PM Tuesday Ready Willing & Able, Basement, 520 Gates Ave (@Tompkins) O,RF

BROOKLYN, NEW YORK, NY, USA (BED-STUY) Don't Give Up Bed-Stuy 6:00 PM Wednesday Bed-Stuy Alcoholism Treatment Ctr, 722 Myrtle Ave O,B

Brooklyn, N.Y Inspiration on the Island 7:00 AM Wednesday South Brooklyn Consortium, 2811 Mermaid Avenue (2nd Floor) St

Brooklyn, NY, New York, USA Wednesday Wakeup 7:00 AM Wednesday Peter J. Sharp, 89 Porter Ave (Corner of Johnson Ave.) B,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatbush) Midday Miracles 10:00 AM Wednesday Flatbush Tompkins Church, 424 E 19th St (@Dorchester Rd Closed on National Holidays) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatbush) Midday Miracles Noon Wednesday Flatbush Tompkins Church, 424 E 19th St (@Dorchester Rd Closed on National Holidays) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Ft Greene) Recovery in the Afternoon Noon Wednesday Recovery House of Worship, 360 Schermerhorn St O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA Hope At Two 2:00 PM Wednesday Church of the Holy Redeemer, 2424 Linden Blvd (between Montauk and Milford) O,BT,BK

Brooklyn, New York (Fort Greene) 3 O'Clock Group 3:00 PM Wednesday Recovery House of Worship, 360 Schermerhorn Street O

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bed-Stuy) Good Orderly Direction 6:00 PM Wednesday Trinity Baptist Church, First Floor, 8 Ralph Ave (@Quincy St & Broadway) O,B,IP,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Fort Greene) Second Chance 6:00 PM Wednesday Brooklyn Gardens, 105 Carlton Ave (Btwn Myrtle & Park Aves) O,RF,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East New York) Life Begins On Rockaway 6:30 PM Wednesday Our Lady of the Presentation (Basement), 1677 St. Marks Ave (Between Rockaway ave & Eastern Parkway) O,RF,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East New York) Unity in Recovery 6:30 PM Wednesday Unity Fellowship Church, 2578 Atlantic Ave. (Georgia & Alabama) O,B,RF,To

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Fort Green) Let's Get Real 6:30 PM Wednesday Fort Green Community Center ( 2nd Floor ), 177 Myrtle Ave. Corner of Prince B,CH,RF,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bed-Stuy) Merge for Recovery 7:00 PM Wednesday St Philip's Church, Basement, 765 Lafayette Ave (@Throop Ave) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bushwick) Today In Recovery 7:00 PM Wednesday ST.Pauls Lutherine Church, 592 knickerbocker Ave (Corner of Palmetto Entrace on Palmetto) O,B,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Coney Island) Alcohol Is A Drug 7:00 PM Wednesday Bridge Back to Life Center, 3044 Coney Island Avenue - 3 Rd Floor (Btwen Coney Island Avenue and Neptune Ave) O,B,NC

Brooklyn, New York, New York (Coney Island) Inspiration on the Island 7:00 PM Wednesday 2811 Mermaid Ave. Btwn 28th & 29 th st (Above Bargain Land Store) C,D,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Crown Heights) Listen to Learn 7:00 PM Wednesday St Theresa Church, Basement, 563 Sterling Pl (Btwn Classon & Franklin) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatbush) Recovery From Within 7:00 PM Wednesday St Vincent Ferrer, 3610 Glenwood Rd (@E 37th St) O,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatlands) Spiritual Awakening 7:00 PM Wednesday Flatlands Dutch Reformed Church, 3931 Kings Hwy (Avenue L) O,RF,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bay Ridge) The Foundation 7:30 PM Wednesday Regina Pacis Youth Center, Basement, 1258 65th Street (Btwn 12th & 13th Ave) O,B,SC,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Brownsville) Where the Winners Are 7:30 PM Wednesday Unknown Bldg Name, 829 Saratoga Ave (@Riverdale) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bushwick) Latinos en Recuperacion 7:30 PM Wednesday St Barbara's church, 144 Bleeker St O,ES,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East New York) Freedom On Linden 7:30 PM Wednesday Holy Redemer Church, 2424 Linden Blvd. (Between Montauk & Akins) O,B,IP,To

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatbush) It Gets Better 7:30 PM Wednesday Unknown Bldg Name, 1950 Bedford Ave (@Hawthorne) O

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Gerritsen Beach) It's About Time 7:30 PM Wednesday Cort Club, 2648 Gerritsen Ave (@Devon Ave) O,To,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Williamsburg) Esperanza Today 7:30 PM Wednesday Epiphany Church Center,schoolyard Rear Entrance, 96 S 9th St (Btwn Bedford Ave & Berry St) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Park Slope) Clean Machine 8:00 PM Wednesday St Thomas Aquinas, Basement entrance on 4th Ave, 249 9th St (@4th Ave) C,St

Brooklyn, New York Kosher Recovery 9:00 PM Wednesday 305 New York Avenue

Brooklyn, New York, NY Recovery at the Castle 7:30 AM Thursday Sumner Armory, 357 Marcus Garvey Blvd O,B,D

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatbush) Midday Miracles 10:00 AM Thursday Flatbush Tompkins Church, 424 E 19th St (@Dorchester Rd Closed on National Holidays) O,JT,BK

Brooklyn, N.Y Keep It Simple 10:45 AM Thursday 1463 Flatbush Avenue O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatbush) Midday Miracles Noon Thursday Flatbush Tompkins Church, 424 E 19th St (@Dorchester Rd Closed on National Holidays) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Ft Greene) Recovery in the Afternoon Noon Thursday Recovery House of Worship, 360 Schermerhorn St O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bushwick) Recovery at Woodhull 12:15 PM Thursday Woodhull Hospital, 5th floor, room 549, 760 Broadway (between Flushing Ave & Marcus Garvey Blvd) O,B,WC

Brooklyn, N.Y Hope at Two 2:00 PM Thursday 2424 Linden Blvd O,D

Brooklyn, New York (Fort Greene) 3 O'Clock Group 3:00 PM Thursday Recovery House of Worship, 360 Schermerhorn Street O

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA New Beginnings (Beginners) 6:00 PM Thursday 360 Schermerhorn St. & 3rd Avenue O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bed-Stuy) Claver Clean & Alive 6:00 PM Thursday St Peter Catholic Church, Basement, 20 Claver Pl (@Jefferson Ave) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, New York, USA (Sunset Park) Never Alone, Never Again 6:00 PM Thursday 5220 4th Ave. C,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bushwick) Recovery on Knickerbocker 6:30 PM Thursday Veteran's Residence, 832 Knickerbocker Ave. (@Covert St.) O,B,RF,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East Flatbush) A Better Way-Beg 6:30 PM Thursday Kingsboro Psychiatric Ctr, 2nd fl, 681 Clarkson Ave (@Troy Ave) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Williamsburg) Saving A Life 6:30 PM Thursday First Spanish Presbyterian Church basement, 161 S. 3rd St. (@Driggs Ave) O,B,BL

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Broolyn Heights) Women Coping In Recovery 7:00 PM Thursday The Lebanon Church, 109 Remsen Street (Between Clinton Street & Henry Street) O,D,W

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bushwick) Despertad 7:00 PM Thursday St Barbara's Church, 144 Bleeker St O,BL,ES

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Coney Island) Dare To Dream 7:00 PM Thursday Bridge Back to Life Center, 3044 Coney Island Avenue - 3rd Floor (Btwen Coney Island Avenue and Neptune Ave) O,B,NC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bed-Stuy) Crossover to Recovery 7:15 PM Thursday St Philip's Church, Basement, 756 Lafayette Ave (@Throop Ave) O,To

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bensonhurst) Miracles on 20th Avenue 7:30 PM Thursday St Dominick's Church, Basement, 2001 Bay Ridge Pkwy (@20th Ave) C,JT,BK

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Brownsville) Focus on Recovery 7:30 PM Thursday Akbar's Self Help, 318 Livonia Ave (Btwn Mother Gaston & Watkins Ave) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East Flatbush) Back Together Again 7:30 PM Thursday St Francis of Assisi, Basement, 400 Lincoln Rd (Btwn Nostrand & NY Aves) O,St,Tr

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatlands) Spirit Alive Workshop 7:30 PM Thursday Unknown Bldg Name, 1020 Van Siclen Ave (Btwn Flatlands & Cozine) O,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Marine Park) Steps to Freedom 7:30 PM Thursday St. Thomas Aquinas Little Chapel, 1541 Hendrickson St (Btwn Flatlands Ave & Ave P) C,O,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Park Slope) 7th Heaven / Bridge Back to Life 7:30 PM Thursday St Francis Xavier, 763 President St (Btwn 6th & 7th Aves) C,St

Brooklyn, New York Recovery in the Garden 8:00 PM Thursday Recovery House of Worship, 360 Schermerhorn St C,Rr

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bed-Stuy) Gates to Recovery 8:00 PM Thursday Ready Willing & Able, Basement, 520 Gates Ave (@Tompkins) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Crown Heights) Crown Heights recovery 10:00 AM Friday R-Building Project Access, 451 Clarkson Ave. (btw Albany & New York) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatbush) Midday Miracles 10:00 AM Friday Flatbush Tompkins Church, 424 E 19th St (@Dorchester Rd Closed on National Holidays) O,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatbush) Midday Miracles Noon Friday Flatbush Tompkins Church, 424 E 19th St (@Dorchester Rd Closed on National Holidays) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Ft Greene) Recovery in the Afternoon Noon Friday Recovery House of Worship, 360 Schermerhorn St O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA Hope At Two 2:00 PM Friday Church of the Holy Redeemer, 2424 Linden Blvd (between Montauk and Milford) O,To,WC

Brooklyn, New York (Fort Greene) 3 O'Clock Group 3:00 PM Friday Recovery House of Worship, 360 Schermerhorn Street O

Brooklyn, New York, New York (Fort Greene) Men of Integrity 6:00 PM Friday Recovery House of Worship, 360 Schermerhorn Street,@3rd Avenue M

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Brooklyn Heights) Brooklyn Heights Group 6:30 PM Friday Grace Court Church, 251 Grace Court (Hicks St) (@Grace Ct) O

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East New York) The Journey Continues 6:30 PM Friday Breevort Community Center, 280 Ralph Ave. O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Fort Greene) Steps To Recovery 6:30 PM Friday Fort Greene Senior Center, 966 Fulton St (@St James Pl) O,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Brownsville) Miracle On Blake 7:00 PM Friday Van Dyke Houses Community Center, 392 Blake Ave (Btwn Mother Gaston Blvd & Powell St) C,CH,RF,SC,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Brownsville) Remember the Pain 7:00 PM Friday Marcus Garvey Community Center, 353 Chester Street O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bushwick) Quinta Tradicion 7:00 PM Friday Iglesia Metodista Unida, 484 Knickerbocker Ave (Entre Bleeker St & Menahan St) O,ES,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bushwick) The Journey Begins 7:00 PM Friday St John's Church, 195 Maujer St (Btwn Humboldt St & Graham Ave) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East New York) Gratitude and Change in ENY 7:00 PM Friday 2424 Linden Blvd. (Btwn Montauk ave & Millford st) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatbush) Flatbush Recovery 7:00 PM Friday St Paul's Church, 157 St Paul Pl. (@Church Ave) O,To

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Old Mill Basin) Freedom on East 57th Street 7:00 PM Friday Parish Center (ring bell), 1304 East 57th Street (Between Ave. M and Ave N) O,To

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bushwick) Basic Tools To Life 7:30 PM Friday St Barbara's, 144 Bleecker St (between Central ave. & Wilson Ave) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bushwick) The Miracle is Alive 4th Step 7:30 PM Friday St Barbara's, 144 Bleecker St (Between Central Ave. & Wilson Ave) O,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Dyker Heights) TGIF 7:30 PM Friday St Ephrem's Church, Enter via Alley, 929 Bay Ridge Parkway (75th Street between 10th Ave & Ft Hamilton Pkwy) O,To,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatbush) Recovery From Within 7:30 PM Friday St Vincent Ferrer, 3610 Glenwood Rd (@E 37th St) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Williamsburg) Alive in Williamsburg 7:30 PM Friday Mount Carmel Church, 275 North 8th St. (btw Havemeyer & Meeker) C,BL,CL,RF,Rr

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bed-Stuy) Stepping Up 8:00 PM Friday Ready Willing & Able, Dinning Room, 520 Gates Ave (Btwn Tompkins & Marcy) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York (Fort Greene) Lost & Found 8:00 PM Friday Recovery House of Worship, 360 Schermerhorn Street O,D,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Dyker Heights) Serenity on Saturday 9:30 AM Saturday V.F.W., Fort Hamilton Parkway (70th St) C,To,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East Flatbush) Sanity On Saturday 9:30 AM Saturday St. Vincent Ferrer, 3610 Glenwood Road (Corner of 37th St.) C

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Brownsville) Beginning at Brownsville 10:00 AM Saturday Unknown Bldg Name, 657 E 98th St (Btwn Linden Blvd & Ave B) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bushwick) Saturday Morning Wake Up 10:00 AM Saturday Most Holy Trinity Church, 153 Johnson Ave (@Graham Ave) O,RF

Brooklyn (Coney Island) Men and Women Clean and Serene 10:00 AM Saturday P.S. 288 Teachers Lunchroom, 2950 West 25th Street Btwn Surf and Mermaid aves. O,B,CH,CS,SD,Ti,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Flatlands) Search for Serenity 10:00 AM Saturday Flatlands Dutch Reformed Church, 3931 Kings Hwy (@E 40th St) C,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Fort Greene) Recovery Downtown 10:00 AM Saturday Fort Greene Senior Citizens Center, 966 Fulton Street (Btwn st james and Grand Ave) C

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Coney Island) Men & Women Clean & Serene 11:00 AM Saturday PS 288, 2950 W 25th St (Btwn Mermaid & Surf Aves) O,B,CH,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East New York) Brownsville Recovery 11:00 AM Saturday Akbar School of Medina, 318 Livonia Ave (Mother Gaston & Rockaway Ave) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East New York) Sister to Sister Noon Saturday Unknown Bldg Name, 330 Hinsdale St (@Blake Ave) O

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Williamsburg) No Matter What 1:30 PM Saturday Ready, Willing & Able, 89 Porter Ave (between Ingraham & Johnson) C,B,RF,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bushwick) Unidos Venceremos 3:00 PM Saturday St Barbara's Church, 144 Bleeker St O,ES

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Fort Greene) Youth in Recovery 3:00 PM Saturday Fort Greene Senior Center, 966 Fulton St (@St James Pl) O,To

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Sunset Park) Stop The Drugs And Live 4:00 PM Saturday Our Lady of Perpetual Help, 545 60th St (5th & 6th) C,To

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Fort Greene) Spiritual Workshop 5:00 PM Saturday Fort Greene Senior Center, 966 Fulton St (@St James Pl) O,St

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East Flatbush) Rebuilding in Men's Workshop 5:30 PM Saturday Kingsboro Psychiatric Ctr, Bldg. 20, 681 Clarkson Ave (@Troy Ave) O,M,RF,Ti,WC

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bushwick) Ridgewood Recovery 6:00 PM Saturday St Brigid's, 438 Grove St (Btwn St Nicholas & Wyckoff Aves) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East New York) Never Alone 6:00 PM Saturday St Peters Church, 94 Hale Ave (Btwn Arlington & Ridgewood) O,To

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Sunset Park) Stop The Drugs And Live 6:00 PM Saturday Our Lady of Perpetual Help,, 545 60th Street (5th & 6th Avenues) C,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bed-Stuy) By Any Means Necessary 6:30 PM Saturday Ready Willing & Able, Basement, 520 Gates Ave (@Tompkins) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Marine Park) Last Chance 7:00 PM Saturday Good Shepherd School (Rear Entrance), 1943 Brown Street (Btwn. Aves S & T (Entrance is through schoolyard on Batchelder St.)) O,JT,BK

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Williamsburg) Keep It Green 7:00 PM Saturday St.Peter Paul Rectory, 71 South 3rd. ST. (Wythe Ave & Berry St.) C,RF,St,Tr

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (East New York) Surrender to Win 7:30 PM Saturday unknown bldg name, 2424 Linden Blvd. (Montauk & Atkins) O,RF

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bath Beach) Clean Slate 8:00 PM Saturday St Francis Cabrini School, Basement, 8645 16th Ave (@86th St) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Bed-Stuy) Alive in Bed Stuy 8:00 PM Saturday Nazarene Community Center, Upstairs, 506 MacDonough St (@Patchen) O,B

Brooklyn, New York, NY, USA (Sheepshead Bay) Russian Group 8:30 PM Saturday St Marks Rectory basement, 2609 E 19th Street (Between Jerome Ave and Avenue Z) C,BK

If you find yourself in need of an AA Mtg, locations in Brooklyn can be found here, by clicking on the handy zone feature:

http://www.brooklynintergroup.org/

If you go, make sure to say "Hello" to Bill W. for for me. He's dead now, but still alive and well in The Rooms.

• I gotta say, I think the old saw about Crown Heights offering more than its share of social services is taken from this "study", which claims that Crown Heights has more social service beds than any other neighborhood in Brooklyn, and 5 times more than average - http://www.brooklyncb8.org/socialservices.php . I did my own version of this study when I moved into the neighborhood because I was so skeptical about the results.

Using information about social service beds taken from here:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/bytes/applbyte.shtml#facilities

And population and acreage data taken from here:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/lucds/cdstart.shtml

... I showed that Crown Heights is only a little more utilized than average, not "five times more" than average. By population, we're 1.4 times average; by acres, we're 1.9 times average. We're the third or forth most utilized neighborhood (out of 18 total neighborhoods), after downtown Brooklyn and Brownsville/Ocean Hill, and Windsor Terrace if you count beds per 1,000 people rather than beds per acre. Please note, though, that I got these numbers back in January 2012, so they may have shifted since then.

You can see the calculations and the raw data I used here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/049fshdqscbj2lk/Brooklyn Social Service Beds.xls

I apologize for going on this rant, but I constantly hear this "statistic" repeated in community meetings, etc, and it's such a huge exaggeration of the truth that I think it inflames tempers without informing discussion.

• Thanks Nada.

It may also be important to distinquish between social service programs and self help programs (such as AA/NA).

Social service programs receive government funding which can end up being over allocated to specific zip codes which often stems from the affordability of land, which causes non-profits and government agencies to use their housing dollars there to maximize cost efficiency.

Once you have a housing programs, you then often get a snowball/cluster effect, because the mental health programs and addiction treatment programs are literally given points on their RFPs for being close to shelters and supportive housing programs. The points are awarded because everyone wants the folks who need treatment to receive it, and they are more likely to receive it when it is in close proximity.

On the otherhand, the selfhelp programs (such as AA and NA), tend to pop up not ONLY on the basis of cheap land and a proximity to highly subsidized housing. Instead, they tend to be held where there is a desire for such groups, AND free meeting space.

This is a crucial point, because "free meeting space" often comes from middle class churches, and such entities are often lacking in low income areas. Hence, the meetings tend to be spread out.

Likewise, we need to understand that many folks in AA/NA are pretty well established in their recovery. Hence, they have employment, which allows them to live in far more neighborhoods than the unemployed. As a result, there are AA/NA members attending mtgs in neighborhoods that social service programs tend to be priced out of.

If you were to ask the neighbors of the Brooklyn NA meetings I listed, I suspect you would find that most have found ways to co-exist for literally decades.

• I see no reason to "terminate" 12-step meetings, which are the single most successful technique to help former addicts maintain sobriety. If the members are being noisy (and again, IF those making the noise are indeed AA/NA members), then whynot's suggestion of taking the matter to the meeting's speaker is the solution, not trying to end the meetings altogether.

12-step meetings are held all over the five boroughs, often in affluent areas, like the Upper East Side, Brooklyn Heights, and Forest Hills. Addiction does not pay attention to income or class, as it impacts every strata of society.

• I'm very distrustful of religious institutions and don't doubt that one of their primary functions is indeed to "bamboozle" people, but IMO AA and NA meetings are some of the least objectionable uses to which these places can be put.

• Thanks Jack, and others for pointing out the benefits of these meetings. I find it really interesting that people choose to move into a neighborhood that has had a homeless shelter, AA/NA meetings and social services for many many years, then try to kick out these groups/ organizations. Listen, as a single woman living alone, of course I would like to live in a neighborhood with less crime, and some of the changes since Crown Heights has become gentrified (like the increase in police presence, places to buy healthier food, and of course, the bars) however, I moved here over 10years ago. The shelter/groups/organizations were here long before I got here. It sucks that so many individuals and families lose their homes when neighborhoods become gentrified by those who are more affluent; should we really try to kick out those organizations who are trying to help people to get on their feet, find stable, safe places to live, remain clean in recovery, and get jobs? Maybe we can find a way to live together in what has been their neighborhood for many years before we got here.

• The point is, they're not doing this for free. Someone is getting a lot of rent for that place to hold those meetings and they're not going to stop until someone else pays them more money. That's it in a nutshell.

• And besides, Christians have been bamboozling us for thousands of years. And don't forget how many people are laid off and the damage to the economy every time someone stops drinking or taking drugs.I don't even want to think about it.

• PG-

Most AA/NA meetings do not have to pay rent to the building that hosts them. At most, the mtg pays for a staff member to stay late to close the facility when the mtg is over.

This is not a profit making venture by the venues listed above.

This discussion has been closed.