Planet Fitness replaces Phat Albert
  • Empire and Flatbush may never be the same....

Then the Q checked in with Albert Srour, owner of the one-time bakery itself, and guess what? He confirmed that Planet Fitness will be moving in, taking over the first two floors of this two-story part of the building.

http://theqatparkside.blogspot.com/2013/09/phat-alberts-new-windows.html

• Many years ago that was the old Bond Bread bakery. They also made Grossingers Rye Bread there. You could smell it for blocks. I think it was used as a commercial bakery until about the mid 70s. It was called Denk Bakery at that time.

• I have heard the building is still owned by one of the people that ran the bakery.

• I'm excited for an affordable gym in the general neighborhood. I personally have a Planet Fitness membership in downtown Brooklyn but never use it due to the trek. Hopping on the Shuttle makes life much easier. Cannot wait!

• A gym will certainly be a nice change from all of the fast food in the area.

• Actually it may be a boost for all the fast food in the area. You can down two or three Whoppers and then work it off right there. So, you feel less guilt for eating all that crap in the first place.

• I suspect that there will be little overlap between the gym crowd and fast food places on Empire.

Empire's list includes McD's, Wendy's, Checkers, Pizza Hut, and Popeyes. I believe the Burger King is just off Empire on Rogers.

• Mickey D's is starting to give out loyalty points. They could give discounts on gym membership. Might be a great selling point.

• I find I am sometimes able to lose weight merely by not eating where fat people eat.

Fast Food places tend to have big glass windows which help in this determination.

• I usually like to eat my Whoppers after a workout, not before.

• Well, let's be thankful that there aren't any all you can eat buffets in that area.

• February start date seems optimistic, to judge from a peek inside the doors. But maybe some strong, in-shape construction guys can pull it off.

• whynot_31 said:

I suspect that there will be little overlap between the gym crowd and fast food places on Empire.

Empire's list includes McD's, Wendy's, Checkers, Pizza Hut, and Popeyes. I believe the Burger King is just off Empire on Rogers.

Don't forget Dunkin' Donuts. And the 7-11!

• Gym moving in actually could help save Purple Berry, the juice and sandwich place on Flatbush 2 blocks down. They deserve credit for looking like a professional operation with decent signage. And the wraps and ciabatta sandwich are decently flavorful if nothing special. But I haven't seen much foot traffic there, sometimes they are not open, and the winter is bound to be rough for any juice place.

The gym might also help revive the Subway franchise next to Purple Berry.

• Although if any construction/contractor vehicles lodge themselves in the front of Phat Albert right now, with the traffic changes on Flatbush and the dollar vans getting antsy because of backups--ay ay ay! Just hoping no one gets hurt before they have a chance to get in shape. The heavy diggers rolling around on the other side of the street, with that big Lincoln Road project, already has pinched the room for pedestrians around there.

• whynot_31 said:

I suspect that there will be little overlap between the gym crowd and fast food places on Empire.

The Burger King is on Bedford between Empire and Sullivan Place. That Checkers has still yet to open. :) At least the KFC closed down.

The opening of Planet Fitness seems to be a step in the right direction.

• Yes, the transformation of KFC into a bank is almost historic.

http://www.brooklynian.com/forums/topic/from-kfc-to-td-bank

...I imagine it is tough to pass through the gauntlet of fast food places in order to get to Prospect Park, much less the new Planet Fitness.

• I'm hearing that Planet Fitness is supposed to open by end of February, and that there will be a yoga studio above the pawn shop and beer distributor on the south side of the building.
  • Isn't the pawn shop out of business?
  • It may be; I haven't walked by there in a while.
  • Pawn shop indeed has looked closed the past month, but could be the owners are just on their traditional winter holiday tour to Miami and Las Vegas.....
  • Pragmatic guy-Here's some image's from when it was Bond Bakery:
  • I wish someone would get the clock on top of that building working again. It could be the local version of the clock on top of the old Williamsburg Bank building.I saw Planet Fitness open one evening on my way home from work. The Planet Fitness website says that the "Pre-Grand Opening Sale is going on now!"
  • Was there a Planet Fitness scheduled to open this month on Fulton near Nostrand Ave? Or am I getting mixed up with something else?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook