The future of Bergen Tile
  • Present:

photo: Forgotten NY

Proposed future:

photo: Brownstoner

more jabbering: http://www.ripcony.com/sites/default/files/215 Flatbush Avenue - Exclusive Flyer - Web.pdf

215 Flatbush

• Ugh, just what Brooklyn needs more generic condos.Soon we're going to look just like any other generic middle American city.

• If they're going to build this there better be underground parking because there's no place to leave a car around there.

• How many parking spots it will be required to provide is the subject of debate:

The 55,000-square-foot building would be required to have 26 parking spaces by law. However, Martin Domansky of PRD told us last year that he was taking his case to the Board of Standards and Appeals because PRD couldn’t possibly construct that number of spaces.

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2013/10/three-renderings-out-for-bergen-tile-development-site-close-to-barclays-center/

• I would think at least 1 spot per apt. Maybe a little more. I guess the developer feels people don't need to park.

• PragmaticGuy said:

I would think at least 1 spot per apt. Maybe a little more. I guess the developer feels people don't need to park.

Many people in NYC don't own cars and it follows that they don't need parking spots.

• PG-

No one is actually discussing 1 spot per apartment. As per Brownstoner, the developer is presently proposing 53 units of housing, but can't/won't comply a rule that would require 26 parking spots (a 2:1 ratio).

The developer is in the process of trying to get this requirement reduced.

It isn't stated how many spots he proposes building, but he will likely have to give up some buildable space to get closer to 26.

• He better hope that people sign up with Zipcar then. Because I would think that 1 per apt is not excessive. Hell, my sister and bro in law just moved out of Waterside Plaza in Manhattan and had both their cars in the garage there and that must have cost them $500/mo so I would think that people who wanted to live in a luxury apt would want to have their own cars.

• I live in a nice, big building that was built in the 1930s, long before parking requirements were put in place. We have no parking.

New buyers are paying $750 a sq ft.

Most of the residents don't have cars. Those that do, pay to park in a garage, or spend hours moving their car to comply with regulations.

I have not owned a car since 2003. It was a 1992 Toyota with 186k on it. ...sold it for $450.

• But, do you live on what is a major thoroughfare? Flatbush Ave has no real parking on it other than that which is metered. If you live on a street where there's no meters and just have to deal with alternate side rules it's much different. And as for the new buyers, we don't know if they have vehicles or not.

• How much parking a developer should provide is the subject of huge debates:

https://www.google.com/#q=developer+parking+requirement+NYC

Among other things, when NYC requires parking, it increases the cost of NYC housing because it reduces the supply....

Note: NYCHA buildings are presently being given permission to sell the parking that was originally required, because they need the revenue from the land for basic upkeep.

http://decoder.outsourceconsultants.com/nychas-land-lease-develops-parking/

• Who is the architect? And, yes, we need the parking. Remember all those sports fans?

• People don't buy a condo in downtown Brooklyn for the sake of parking; they buy it for the sake of the subway (especially literally right on top of a station served by seven separate lines). Most developments in downtown Brooklyn have dramatically underused parking garages:

http://www.streetsblog.org/2012/06/04/dcp-proposal-will-cut-downtown-brooklyn-parking-minimums-in-half/

"The Avalon Fort Greene has 631 rental units and was required by law to provide 252 new parking spaces along with them. During the evenings, DCP found, only 88 of those spaces are filled. Each parking space in the area costs $50,000 to build, Whitson said. When the spaces sit empty, or when garages have to drop their prices to attract customers, he noted, “those costs are passed on to the residents of the buildings, most of whom don’t own cars.”"

Parking is a perfectly nice amenity, but so are Jacuzzis. And the city doesn't require that apartments have Jacuzzis, so why should it require someone who wants to buy a space to live buy a place to store a car?

• Today, workers were busy doing demolition of the interior of the Bergen Tile building.

The building should not take long to get rid of.

215 Flatbush
  • Another unique building lost to bland middle of the road aesthetics. One step closer to looking just like *insert middle American city here* Sigh, I'm going to miss it. It's blue color and tiles are a sight that my commute home is almost over.
  • You're like two blocks to Atlantic Avenue if you're in that building!  Nobody needs a car.

I'm going to respectfully disagree about the architectural merits of the Bergen Tile building.  The new building isn't much better, but it's not much of a loss.

Curious to know who will want to pay top dollar to live in that location, though.  Seems like it would be very loud and chaotic.
  • If a parking lot is built in the building, hopefully Zipcar can get a couple of spaces. If one were to make a grocery shopping trip to Fairway in Red Hook, it'd be a long haul by bus.
  • One could shop at the fancy Key Foods on Flatbush and 7th Ave, and not even have to cross the street to shop or catch the bus home.
  • One can also go to Pathmark at Atlantic Center; that site seems to be equidistant from both supermarkets. Yet, there is just something about that Fairway...or the Whole Foods on Third and Third. ;)
  • All the way gone today.
  • Yup.   If you look closely, you can see that in addition to the one story building, a taller building to the right of it is also gone.   Use photo in first post to compare.image