NW corner of Franklin & Union: Crow Bar - Brooklynian

NW corner of Franklin & Union: Crow Bar

specifically directy @ Mr. Whynot:

you know the rumor you posted that a sizeable entity was interested in the corner shops, provided the bodega was willing to vacate?

just walked by last nite-- they've moved to president street.

and speculation in 3,2,......

Comments

• edited January 2015

talk to me.

• Who is "they" that are moving to President St.?

• edited March 2015

820 Franklin

A few months ago, I had heard that a large restaurant/bar was in conversations with the landlord that controls the storefront on the west side of Franklin, between EP and Union.

The entity can not be named by me.

Terekete seems to be stating that this entity is now considering similarly large space on President.

It is clear that "they" are very interested in Crown Heights, but it is not clear whether they will find a place that meets their preferences.

• There are 3 small store fronts on Franklin, between President and Carroll that have been vacant for years. They are all in a row and would make one large space assuming they could be combined. TeReKeTe, is that what you are referring too?

• Speaking of this area... i noticed that Nino's rebranding of themselves has happened online but not in real life.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/italian-passion-pizza/menu

• edited March 2014
    I can confirm that the entity that was looking at the corner of 820 Franklin, along with the adjoining storefronts is no longer interested.

As stated above by terekete, the bodega moved. The corner storefront is now for rent: 

• I heard the Bob & Betty's/Pulp & Bean team is considering a second spot on that block... maybe this location?
  • edited February 2015
  • edited January 2015
    Bob and Betty's owns the former Key Food on Franklin near Union that is presently dormant, and has been for a while. If the neighborhood changes enough to support an upscale food market, they will make it into one. 

If they get a better offer, they would take it.

However, they are not interested in 820 Franklin Avenue.
  • edited January 2015
    One month later, 820 Franklin is still listed on CPEX's website as being available.

This landlord took a gamble and vacated several storefronts (820, 818, 816), under the belief that the entity referenced above (or a similar entity) would snatch them up and make them one unit.

As of now, this move has only made them vacant;   The entity that wanted to combine them is no longer interested, the corner location is still on the market:

• edited January 2015
    7 months later...

820 Franklin is still on the market.

As regular readers are aware, 2 of the storefronts to its right are in the process of becoming a dessert bar:  http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/38912/butter-scotch-dessert-bar-in-crown-heights/p1
  • edited January 2015
    10 months later....

CPEX may no longer be assigned to this corner. Here's my rationale:

It no longer appears on their list of properties presently for lease: http://www.cpexre.com/assignments/all

The pdf links above are now dead.

It does not appear on properties they have successfully completed: http://www.cpexre.com/assignments/all_completed

Here's a photo I took of their staff outside of the corner a few months ago:

Now, of course, it could be that the folks at CPEX are about to announce that they have closed a deal and we are just in the phase that is between the listing and closed phase.....

But I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a Massey Knakal - Cushman Wakefield sign here soon.
  • In early December a MySpace sign went up but came down shortly thereafter.
  • edited January 2015
    MySpace = Shawn Mullahy

...they seem to still have the listing:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/18992939/820-Franklin-Ave-Brooklyn-NY/

Hopefully he is able to get it filled.
  • This sounds promising:
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that part of the article, which was the whole reason I was going to post  it in the first place.  Good catch.

The relevant passage: "an entirely new upscale dining concept tenant to be announced shortly." (at 1045 Union, the old Bodega).  That'd be nice, as that block and the block between Union and President has been a lot more desolate (at least on the west side of Franklin) without the old grocery store, bodega, etc.
  • edited February 2015
  • edited July 2015

The pitch:

"This corner location directly on Franklin ave offers an excellent
    opportunity for savvy restaurateurs and business owners to join the
    influx of new retail flooding the area. From neighborhood favorites like
    "Owl and Thistle", to Williamsburg residents "Butter and Scotch", this
    booming section of Franklin ave has proven lucrative enough to attract
    national tenants such as "Starbucks".

Location includes basement storage, a walk-in cooler, and potential for cafe seating.

Only one block from all of the trains (2,3,4,5) at Eastern Parkway,
    and around the corner from the Botanical Gardens this entire block is
    now home to the transformation that has already occurred on Franklin
    Avenue across the Parkway.

Huge demographic changes in the neighborhood and influx of consumer capital have created new markets waiting to be tapped by the savvy restaurateur and/or retailer at only a
    fraction of the cost for the similarly situated space across Eastern
    Parkway."

13f70468fcc047d8892c4a5db769322c
    ce6b792b81434fe4b0b435f49abb6a08
    50654714b7d14cd1a636bc3b7f61cbb6

source:  http://m.s.lnimg.com/xNet/MainSite/Listing/Profile/Profile.aspx?LID=18992939&AID=YTv8LDT5A&FromLocation=&NoBrandingView=true&fname=Jae&lname=Manion&18992939=Htb1hDO7w&PgCxtCurFLKey=&ProfileFromLocation=professionalprofile&PgCxtGuid=4ccd3166-ca80-449f-a54c-53337a02aeed&PgCxtFLKey=&PgCxtCurFLKey=&PgCxtDir=Down

Rumor:    An unnamed entity is presently flirting with the landlord.   

• The junk in this place is now being cleared out.  It's going into a rental dumpster currently parked on the corner.
  • edited August 2015
    Hopefully they are doing mechanical upgrades and getting it to "white box" level.

A presently hesitant tenant might sign if the space had already upgraded its electrical and installed central A/C.

...the landlord is not flirting with Dollar Stores or nail salons.   They do not have the kind of figure he desires.
  • ...the landlord is not flirting with Dollar Stores or nail salons.   They do not have the kind of figure he desires.
    Thanks.
  • He seems to be holding out for a figure that is not petite, and has a lot of curves.

People have different preferences.
  • Any updates on this space?  It'd be great to have something in that space
  • This morning there were people working in this space, as well as the space directly across the street.
  • edited October 2015
    Yup, I saw that as well. Here is the link to the one across the street. As previously discussed, it is in the process of becoming a bar: http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/45213/franklin-and-union-not-a-new-coffee-shop-maybe-a-bar#latest

As far as I know, this corner has yet to secure a tenant, but it is safe to say that one of the potential suitors will eventually consummate the relationship.

• It truly looks like a bomb went off inside this space. There is a big crater in the cement floor inside and piles of boards, wiring, metal, etc. They've been hauling truckloads of junk out of there for weeks, and it still looks as if they just started. They are also renovating two ground floor apartments in the building as well.
  • edited February 2016
    A bar has begun the process of applying for liquor lic on this space:

Crow Bar, Inc. d/b/a – TBD
    , 820 Franklin Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11225, new application for a Liquor, Wine and Beer license.

http://www.communitybrd9bklyn.org/meeting/community-board-meeting-12/
  • Three bars on one corner is a little much. I hope they at least serve food to distinguish themselves from the others. I was hoping a restaurant or nice coffeeshop would open there.
  • edited February 2016
    For those not aware, the other two bars are Butter and Scotch, and Brooklyn Union One (under construction).

http://brooklynian.com/discussion/45213/franklin-and-union-not-a-new-coffee-shop-maybe-a-bar#latest
  • Incidentally, they were working on Brooklyn Union One across the street last night and it looks pretty much done. I'd imagine they'll be open within the next couple months.
  • edited February 2016
    Yup, In this photo, Brooklyn Union One will be on the NE top right corner, and Crow Bar (if they keep that name) will be on the NW top left corner. image
  • Holy wow. TWO bars?
  • Three, if one includes the existing Butter and Scotch.
  • edited February 2016

Last night CB9 considered whether to support the SLA application.

However, the vote was reportedly 17 yes, 12 no, 5 abstentions. The abstentions mean there wasn't a majority in favor, so the app did not pass.

However, this 17-17 vote is complicated by some board members claiming that their votes were not counted, or counted incorrectly.  The chair will have to reportedly check a video recording to verify their claims.

...which has become par for the course for CB9.  

Source:  http://theqatparkside.blogspot.com/2016/02/last-nights-cb9-meeting.html

• Brooklyn Union One is the final name? That's a mouthful.

I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that will be too many bars on one corner. It's not the LES.

İ also don't see all three doing well at the same time unless crow bar is more of a gastropub (and perhaps coffee shop during the day) to at least fill that void (and make me happy).

Do businesses have to sign a lease before putting in an application?
  • In my experience, aspiring bars often have a contingency clause written into their lease that allows them to escape in the event that they don't get a liquor license.

However, such clauses are rarely need because the NYS SLA is "pro-issue". meaning that they prefer to issue a license to qualifying entities, and then take the lic away only if they break the rules.

...in general, "the market" gets to decide where bars open.

• Brooklyn Union One is the final name? That's a mouthful. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that will be too many bars on one corner. It's not the LES. İ also don't see all three doing well at the same time unless crow bar is more of a gastropub (and perhaps coffee shop during the day) to at least fill that void (and make me happy). Do businesses have to sign a lease before putting in an application?
    I walk by there every day and there's actually a small sign up now that says something like "Brooklyn Union Pub."  So that may be the actual name moving forward.  The space basically looks finished, so I'd imagine it'll open in the very near future.
  • edited February 2016
    Given some people's belief that the area became known as Crow Hill as a result of a prejorative term for African Americans ("Crows"), if I kept the name Crow Bar for the to-be-built-one on the NW corner, I might decorate it with crowbars to distance it from said controversy and connotation. image
  • mcpoet said:
    Brooklyn Union One is the final name? That's a mouthful. I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that will be too many bars on one corner. It's not the LES. İ also don't see all three doing well at the same time unless crow bar is more of a gastropub (and perhaps coffee shop during the day) to at least fill that void (and make me happy). Do businesses have to sign a lease before putting in an application?
    I walk by there every day and there's actually a small sign up now that says something like "Brooklyn Union Pub."  So that may be the actual name moving forward.  The space basically looks finished, so I'd imagine it'll open in the very near future.
    Correction, the name of the bar, at least on the small sign that's up now, is actually "Union Street Pub."
  • Thanks. Much better! Do we have an opening date?
  • @brooklyneya -

As discussed here, Union Street Pub just rec'd its license and is expected to open as early as this weekend.

• Loading kegs in now as we speak. 
  • Construction on Crow Bar at 820 Franklin has begun.

• The corner continues to have its troubles.   Last night there was another shooting.   

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 5.23.21 PM
  • edited June 2016
    Three bars within a one block radius - lol

I remember when people were worried about having too many liquor stores in a neighborhood.
  • It is as if the neighborhood now views people who drink in the opposite way.

Before, there were liquor stores that caused people to hang out and drink that neighbors were afraid of.

Now, people seem to be afraid FOR THE bars, and that the "neighbors" create a atmosphere that will scare them and their customers away.

....if we do not give "them" a place "they" feel safe drinking, "they" will not come.

• edited August 2016

820 Franklin is also known as 1045 Union.

Apartments throughout the building are presently being renovated/flipped, which has upset the neighborhood preservationists/activists.

• You can see the new sign behind the boards that are up in front of this place presently.  It looks like they went ahead in naming it Crow Bar.  I'm assuming they're trying to court the gay racist demographic.  It's a very niche market.
  • edited August 2016
    Much too small to have a parade.

Yes, the lic is in pending status, with that name:

https://www.tran.sla.ny.gov/servlet/ApplicationServlet?pageName=com.ibm.nysla.data.publicquery.PublicQuerySuccessfulResultsPage&validated=true&serialNumber=1293347&licenseType=OP

WILBY, DANIEL 
    KARU, AIN 
    BRALIC, MICHAEL J
       Premises Name:CROW BAR INC
  • signage up.    Photo not by me.

crow
  • we need more fried chicken and less bars!

• A quick google search of "Crow Bar" pulls up a band, a restaurant in California, and some single tracks.  Maybe they didn't google it before deciding on the name?  No facebook page or anything.  I'd think a soft opening party is in the planning stages considering the construction is apparently done?!  SOME kind of marketing or something...?  

Maybe this place is just a cousin of "Longevity" on Washington considering the signage out front seems to cut from the same cloth.  
  • edited September 2016
  • Just dropped by the place about an hour ago and met two of the owners/partners. Very nice guys. They had just received a beer delivery and told me they were planning to open on Monday. Renovations are almost complete and you could smell fresh paint.
  • I walked by last night. It did look like it was almost ready to open.
  • They posted a menu outside. Small, but interesting food menu. Brisket sandwich, hot dog (sandwiches served with tater tots), kale salad, grilled cheese. 10-15 items. Looks good. If we're lucky they'll do an oyster happy hour. I think Union needs to do something special to avoid an exodus to Crow Bar, which looks like it'll be bigger, brighter and with food.
  • There seems to be a growing population of people with the means and preferences for such things, so maybe they don't need to change in response to a new business.
  • Stopped by yesterday, and also met one of the owners. He seemed very nice and told me they also own Hollow Nickel in Boerum Hill. Interior was nice: a few TVs, ~10 draft lines, good amount of space.

They open today at 4p.
  • 2 TVs with football on its opening night.

Full house.

• @mugofmead111 beat me to it! i don't know have a ton of knowledge about the history of crown heights, but i don't buy this line:

"Honestly Crown Heights doesn't have a lot of real rich history to it that I could find recorded"
  • I found that line ridiculous too.  He clearly didn't look very hard... 
  • I can think of other entities in the area that have used the term Crow in their name locally, but did not seem to create the response:

Crow Hill Bistro used to be on Nostrand.

The Crow Hill Community Association still meets on Franklin.

The Crow Hill Development Corp still builds in the area.

I suspect some of the outrage stems from who is using the term (white business owner) and who is customers are likely to be (white recent graduates).

In that way, the term Crow is much like the N word ...some can use it, and others should not.
  • Hmm, I think it may have more to do with making a play on it.  It doesn't refer directly to the neighborhood and also is a for-profit business (vs the Community Association and Development Corp).  
  • That is possible.

However, I wonder if any politicians are offended by the bar's name.

They would be slightly harder than the CHTU to dismiss, because they are often pro-development/new business.

Whereas as CHTU is usually against new businesses that serve a wealthier class, because it results in a snowball effect of gentrification which pushes lower income people out of the area.
  • @mildredpearce  - I love Gothamist and I practically stalk it during the day. LOL
  • There is a lively discussion in the comments section.
  • I wonder if the area is now so transient that the bar will remain full despite the views of some re: its name.
  • Colina Cuervo also translates to Crow Hill.

I think people are just grasping at straws here, no? Is anyone really offended or is this article just trolling an already tense neighborhood?
  • edited September 2016
    It does seem to be a desperate move by the CHTU.

...this neighborhood is changing whether they want it to or not.

It seems as if they are going try and picket and chant this evening: https://www.facebook.com/events/1055528367899457/?ti=icl
  • And the new weightlifting spot next to Berg'n is called Murder of Crows. 
  • Stumbled upon this afternoon:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1055528367899457/?active_tab=highlights

Definitely seems as if this bar is getting singled out, despite various similarly named places in the neighborhood.
  • edited September 2016
    Murder would mean a large group of Crows.

From what I have seen, both the new weightlifting place and the new bar are patronized by people of a variety of races/hues. They use them at their own volition. Hence, it is tough for me to think the customer base is insulted by the name.

This in sharp contrast to the now out of business NuBar on Nostrand. Because that bar had a primarily black customer base, I would periodically hear people of a variety of backgrounds wonder if the name meant Nubian Bar. (It did not)

Likewise, I have heard people claim Brownsville is so named because brown people live there. In actuality, it is named after a developer (Charles S Brown) in the 1860s. I believe Mr Brown was white.

Regardless, the first residents of modern Brownsville were Jewish and it remained predominantly Jewish from something like 1880 to the 1950s.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownsville,_Brooklyn
  • whynot_31 said:
    Which would mean a large group of Crows. From what I have seen, both the new weightlifting place and the new bar are patronized by people of a variety of races/hues. They use them at their own volition. Hence, it is tough for me to think the customer base is insulted by the name. This in sharp contrast to the now out of business NuBar on Nostrand. Because that bar had a primarily black customer base, I would periodically hear people of a variety of backgrounds wonder if the name meant Nubian Bar. (It did not) Likewise, I have heard people claim Brownsville is so named because brown people live there. In actuality, it is named after a developer (Charles S Brown) in the 1860s. I believe Mr Brown was white. Regardless, the first residents of modern Brownsville were Jewish and it remained predominantly Jewish from something like 1880 to the 1950s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brownsville,_Brooklyn .
    Meanwhile a parallel demographic shift was occuring in Crown Heights...
  • whynot_31 said:
    That is possible. However, I wonder if any politicians are offended by the bar's name.  
    That would be a good question to ask! :) 
  • I can think of several local politicians who would be out front with bullhorns.

...i don't think of them as shy.
  • I received the CHTU email notification about the picket and thought it was ridiculous. They need to use that energy to deal with real race issues. Ironically, I stopped in an hour ago and one of the two bartenders is black and the 3 girls sitting and enjoying a drink at the bar (the only customers at 5 pm) were black as well.
  • despite the controversy of its name....has anyone had dinner or drinks there yet?
  • Many of my neighbors and I have been in.  My neighbors span ages and races and are soooo glad that they don't have to travel into the city or williamsburg to feel like they can "go out."  I most vividly recalling a conversation I had with an older Caribbean woman on my block who was excited that she and the girls could get some cocktails close by.  She also mentioned people who worked there varied in ethnicity - hello jobs for our community - and she felt very comfortable and proud to be in the community as it proceeds through these positive changes.  She was like all those people moving to PA, no one I'm never leaving.
  • edited November 2016
    Yes, this bar continues to be patronized by people of a variety of hues when I walk by. However, some tenants of the building continue to believe their say should hold weight. image
  • "our"? 

justice for tenants who demand naming rights to commercial spaces their landlord also owns?  thats a new one lol
  • "our"? 

justice for tenants who demand naming rights to commercial spaces their landlord also owns?  thats a new one lol
    Wonder if a posted trigger warning will satisfy those tenants....
  • There are only 5 left.

"Last month, the tenants' union gathered outside Crow Bar to discuss the plight of the tenants who live above it. "This is a 35-unit building," said a 25-year tenant who gave her name as Marcia M. "There are about five units with long-standing tenants, and these new tenants are paying up to $4,000 for an apartment."

"It isn't about my bar. It's about the tenant association," Wilby, who resides in Murray Hill, surmised this week. The tenants' union, he believes, is one small cell of opposition."They want to keep their rent stabilized apartments."

http://gothamist.com/2016/09/22/crow_bar_crown_heights.php
  • edited November 2016
    Colina Cuervo means Crow Hill, Bar Corvo also means Crow Bar. Still waiting for the righteous warriors to picket those businesses.

It's all so ridiculous, especially when the overwhelming majority of patrons and people who work there are people of color and those protesting are white transplants. Maybe they should take their misdirected activist energy to picket in front of shady landlords/building management companies, at the courthouse during unfair hearings, use that time to volunteer at a soup kitchen, etc.

I consider myself a leftist myself and have several hardcore activist friends. I find that while there are some truly, selfless and noble activists, others are doing it for the wrong (often selfish) reasons. It's really turned me off from this type of activism.
  • Same.  It's insane how much press this is getting though - I'm kinda impressed lol.  Could he be stealing a page from Trump's playbook and taking this all this [negative] press right to the bank?  Because in that case why change the name?

Originally I was thinking it'd be in his best interest to quickly just change it to Row Bar or something.
  • I actually do not believe the bar has benefitted or lost much as a result of this controversy.

I believe its patrons are unaware of jabberings of the internet, and/or do not believe that having a beer at a local pub changes much in the world.

The bar is about as popular as the one across the street, Brooklyn Union One.  
  • I walk by it daily to the train and have noticed a clear shift in patrons. The first few days before protesting and drama started, there were definitely a LOT more white people there. Now I imagine they don't want to look racist don't so they avoid it, hence tipping the ratio to mostly people of color.
  • It isn't unusual for a bar (or other venue) to be integrated its first few days, and then become homogeneous.   

Even venues that put considerable effort into attracting specific crowds sometimes end up "being chosen" by demographics they did not expect.

Wise venues roll with it, and decide that the color they seek most is green.       

dollar
  • And, then, without much fanfare, the bar's names was changed.

crow
  • Really don't think this guy meant any harm.  He recognizes he should just bury the beef and move on.

I think there should be different words for different kinds of racism.  Being ignorant because you simply don't know yet still manage to offend people is a different type of racism that woefully treating people different because of their race.

Very very white places where no one ever really has met a black person and people talk about other races in stereotypes is a different type of racism.  Wouldn't it be easier to talk about this stuff in a calm, less finger-pointy way, if we had different names for different types of racism?
  • edited March 15
    I don't think so. It's important to address racism in all of it's forms by the same term as to not belittle the significance of said racism. Whether it comes from a place of ignorance or one of pure hate, it needs to be addressed. These days, everyone seems to be under the impression that racism is only when a crime is committed against person of color and the perpetrator explicitly states that they did it because they were a person of color. That is simply not the case. Racism exists in many forms and one of the most common is microagressions.

An example is that my aunt went to WalMart and a lady say that the back of her car had a Boston College sticker. The lady asked my aunt who goes to Boston College, to which my aunt responded "My nephew." Then the lady asked her "What sport does he play?" This question would fly over most people's head but my aunt became instantly outraged because as a Black person, she felt that the woman only asked her this because the only way to get into a college like that was to be good at sports. Now it may or may not have been the lady's intention to offend my aunt but impact is greater than intent. It's important to understand how certain things can be perceived as racist even when it wasn't meant to be.

Sorry for derailing this thread.
  • My only request is that if we get everyone to agree on what constitutes racism, that Brooklynian.com get the credit.
  • I don't mean to belittle racism at all.  It's important to talk about, is all I'm trying to say.  This story about the woman in the parking lot - ugh.  I would have been offended too.  Racism is complex and I think more nuanced vocabulary to describe it would be helpful for some people to recognize their own biases.  

The term you used - microaggressions - gets exactly at my point.  I've never heard word that before to describe something like the Walmart scenario but yeah, sounds about right.  That was a totally aggressive thing to say, but she had no idea and meanwhile your aunt is just stewing, unable to really call her out.  Would you say that the bar owner's choice of bar name was a microaggression?   

In other words, do you think, if the bar owner truly didn't know any historical context for the word "Crow" and named the bar "Crow Bar" because he knew part of the neighborhood was called Crow Hill, was he being racist, and if so is this the same type of racism of the woman in the parking lot?  Or would you say the fact that are different or not different even matter?  

• edited March 16
    The bar owner's choice to name it Crow Bar was definitely just ignorance and tone-deafness as opposed to racism in my opinion. I hesitate to call it racism since I don't know the history behind the naming of Crow Hill. We know there was historically a Black population in this general area by Weeksville, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the naming of it. While he thought it was cool to name it after the old name of the neighborhood, it's easy to see how Crow Bar can be misinterpreted as something potentially racist. A smarter decision would have been to name it Crow Hill Bar instead so that he didn't draw any confusion.

Crow Hill Crossfit has been in the area for a little while now and never drew any outrage with regard to its name.