*~NEW BROOKLYNIAN~*
  • When I post on my iPhone the text is skewed to the left.
  • It doesn't load well on my iPad -- no pictures, all blue or black text on a white background, etc.
  • Do we (or will we) have a private message capability?
  • For now, we do not have a private message system. The old system is not compatible. If anyone wants to research that in terms of available pm systems that would be great. Xlizellx You are correct there are no header images yet.I do not know why the theme is not loading right now.
  • "Howdy, *username*"?
  • Do we have to start from scratch? I don't see any avatars and the site didn't recognize my password, I had to reset. All of this is happening on OS X Maverick.
  • Yes, you have to reset your password. For now, the avatars are being pulled over by hand. Please wait.
  • Thanks! The timezone is now reset...
  • Hi...Thanks for the quick feedback and updates to the items I reported. ;-)...Just an fy reply, , the previous subscriptions to receive updates on existing posts don't seem to have migrated....just double-checked and there were updates to threads I am subscribed to but didn't receive in my inbox, so just figured I'd let you know for troubleshooting purposes. ((And...Sorry, I used to do the UI/design, build, test, & launch huge new websites, so I guess Ive got my "testing" & "user-experience" hat on right now....Hopefully the feedback isn't annoying you and is at least mildly helpful as you work through the typical re-launch kinks. :-))..)Thanks much again!!
  • Is there a feature that allows posters to upload photos? Or, will we need to reference a remote host?
  • @naturegirlbk the feedback is great! Keep it coming.I'll check and see if there is a way to upload images.
  • Will users need be able to upload photos directly to the site? Or, will we need to link to a remote host?
  • Hi. Hope this helps...here are the issues Ive noticed:+ The MENU does not dsplay/expand at all when clicked. (When viewing site on Android phone)+ The menu/list of neighborhoods message boards/categories is no longer displayed anywhere, so you can't navigate between forums. (Observed both on iMac & Android phone.)+ Question: Will favorites and posts we previously subscribed to receive updates on, resume when the transition is complete?+ Question: Can posts within each thread please be changed to display in reverse chronological order instead of the current chronological order? This would eliminate the need for users to scroll through tons of history just in order to view the most recent postings.Thanks much!!
  • I liked using my signature to provide the world with a trite summary of my perspective. Is this feature going to return?
  • I don't think wordpress does signature lines.
  • The MENU does not dsplay/expand at all when clicked. (When viewing site on Android phone)OK. I switched to a different site theme that should take care of the problem.The menu/list of neighborhoods message boards/categories is no longer displayed anywhere, so you can’t navigate between forums. (Observed both on iMac & Android phone.)This is fixed. Clicking "Forums" at the top of the page (or in the breadcrumb trail for any individual post) will take you to the overall forum listing. We still need to add drop-down menus to the top of the page for quick access to individual forums.Question: Will favorites and posts we previously subscribed to receive updates on, resume when the transition is complete?Good question. I thought they were converted. I'll check into this.Question: Can posts within each thread please be changed to display in reverse chronological order instead of the current chronological order? This would eliminate the need for users to scroll through tons of history just in order to view the most recent postings.Unfortunately, I am not sure there is any way to do this (short of changing the code of the forum itself). As far as I know, this is the default way forums have always been displayed, and frankly, we haven't had many users ever request this feature. I'll put this on the list as a "nice to have" feature for the future.
  • Hu...Also noticed that the date and time on the site must be off...for example, the most recent post (earlier today) to the Crown Heights thread re::New Development coming to Dean between .... says it was posted Dec 31, around d 2am...but obviously today is only Dec 30...Thanks.[EDIT: Fixed the timezone (see my reply above, since this post now occurs in the future... :/ ). Thanks! - Admin]
  • The new Brooklynian is kool. But I just wish there was more activity in it - lets' see more photos both current and nostalgic of God's Country. Please!
  • This new platform should be reliable enough that it doesn't frustrate users into quitting.I like that the date and time appears on every post
  • I had to reset my password, and some of the spacing looks a little wonky on Firefox, but overall, I like the new look.
  • I've been having quite a bit of trouble. For me, the new site seems to flicker in and out of service. Sometimes, the page won't load at all and other times I get 503 errors - service temporarily unavailable - and have to try back an hour or so later to get access to the site. Am I the only one?
  • Laura, we did have some sporadic outages over the holidays. Are you still experiencing those today? I haven't seen a timeout over the past 48 hours or so (fingers crossed).
  • I am testing out the site's various features to put it to the test.The search function seem quirky. For example, I searched "Shomrim" and it took a few tries before the thread was returned.
  • Other random observations:Do we lose the ability to edit our posts after a period of time? The edit feature is not always visible.Also, the old site had a way of telling us whether we had read a post. Will this one?In the event the site gets busier again, it is a handy feature.
  • Wow, new site is quite different...... Please tell me the color are going to change from black and white to something more befitting of our borough. Also where on earth did my profile picture come from?
  • speaking of images, how do I embed a picture?I used to use img and /img between [ ] signs.Also, does Wordpress have a quote feature? ...Can we enable it?
  • For photos, you can use the basic IMG tag: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_img.aspFor quotes, use blockquote: http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_blockquote.aspIt looks like this:
    Put text here.
  • There is a "formatting helper" row of buttons to make this easy. It can be added, but right now it's making the reply box disappear. it's on the list of things to fix.
  • @newguy88 the new site uses Gravatars. Do you have a gravatar account by chance? It is probably pulling your photo from Gravatar.com.And yes, the new site will have more visual appeal after we add back in avatars, etc.
  • I figured out how to embed photos here: http://www.brooklynian.com/forums/topic/the-gulf-stationdunkin-donuts-at-ep-and-bedford-1550-bedford/#post-558721It was tedious, so I do look forward to that row of buttons when you get a chance.
  • The edit feature seems to go away quickly after one makes a post.I often need to edit my posts, so they make me sound intelligent or at least are coherent.
  • I will adjust the edit settings. It's on the list of things to do.
  • Hi. There is definitely something wrong with the back-end of the site re: user preferences & such...I posted to this topic about this issue a couple of days ago about the fact that after your re-launch of the site, I had subscribed to approx 50 topics + forums (I'm guessing I did this Jan 4 or 5 or so..), and by Jan 8 (I think) , I realized I wasnt receiving any updates re: these topics via email. So I logged in, checked my subscriptions & favorites, and all of them had disappeared. Again, I reported this via this thread, I believe, on Jan 8. (Whynot even responded...) So, at that point (Jan 8-ish) I re-subscribed to 4-6 forums/topics, just to be able to confirm that they'd be retained and that I'd receive updates via email whenever someone posted about them. Now, after the updates I guess were done to the site yesterday, I have just logged in and can report two issues: 1) Once again, the set of 4-6 latest subscriptions & favorites re-added on Jan 8 have disappeared...Ugh!!!, and 2) If you look at this "New Brooklynian" thread where I posted about this problem on approx Jan 8, (and again, WhyNot replied..), those posts have completely disappeared as well. So, can someone please look into and rectify these issues?? The eternally-disappearing subscriptions/favorites issue is especially annoying...Thanks much.
  • I can explain this. There was a server crash yesterday on Jan 8. We lost a few posts (including the one you are talking about) and the favorites data. I think I found almost all the missing posts in a backup file, and they are gradually being added back in. but the favorites info I can't retrieve and will just have to be reentered, I think. I'm sorry about the inconvenience.
  • Seems like some of the old crowd from the previous forum haven't joined us in this new forum. Hopefully, they'll be here soon!
  • Today when I clicked on the title to a post in a forum it took me to a blank page. This happened twice.I was able to get to it eventually but there are still intermittent issues.
  • @mugofmead111 thanks! I'll look into it. Do you remember which post it was?
  • I have noticed that sometimes it does not update the recent posts unless I am logged in.
  • @whynot_31 I have not noticed that but will keep an eye out for it. It may be a cache issue.
  • @admin, I don't remember the particular post, but I noticed a similar issue today.Today I typed in the main URL for Brooklynian. I clicked on one of the thread titles that was on the main page (illegal donation bins popping up everywhere) and instead got a blank page that said something about reorganization. I had to go under "Forums" and click on the name of the forum to find the post. Weird.
  • ProdSon wrote: "Seems like some of the old crowd from the previous forum haven’t joined us in this new forum. Hopefully, they’ll be here soon!"Once the bugs in the new format are worked out, I believe there is a plan to email everyone who has logged on over the course of the last year, to tell them the site is now less buggy and that our conversations are more riveting, and informative than ever.At least, that's what I would do :)
  • I give up! I just simply give up. The site is buggy to the point of being unusable. About 60% of the time I click on a thread the we're reorganizing error message pop up. The site is slow as sedated slug. Was it really necessary to totally and completely break the Brooklynian to fix it?
  • Hi newguy88. I'm sorry about the trouble you are experiencing. I am doing everything I can to get the site in working order. There is probably some conflict with the caching. I disabled the caching for now. If you receive another "page moved" error, it would be helpful to me if you could describe the exact link you tried to click on, and if you're able to, paste the link into the comments field in this thread. Thanks.
  • Anyone know the URL for the RSS feed? Or how I can add it to my reader? I use NewsBlur and the old feed no longer works.Thanks!AP
  • Is the incredible slowness going to be fixed in the future? Is it fixable? Or is this the new normal?
  • One step at a time, first we fix the bugs, then we work on slowness and overall design etc.. I would guess.
  • I was told the pages will load more quickly once the web servers get more hits for the new site IP address; this causes them to not have to work as hard for it.Also, we seem to have some bugs remaining that cause slowness in posting.
  • @tateinbk sorry about the lag lately. The problem is likely spammers. The spam filters are being fine-tuned. Fingers crossed.
  • Consider adding Bitcoin Tipping system for message board posters and Bitcoin Donation button in General for Brooklynian general fund.http://terk.co/wordpress-bitcoin-tips-plugin/http://wordpress.org/plugins/tags/bitcoinhttp://www.coinwidget.com/http://blog.coinbase.com/post/41907755756/allowing-custom-donation-amountssomeone could send as little as .00000001 bitcoins without a fee
  • @inpixels - great idea, thanks! will look into it.@AP - for the feed, try this: http://www.brooklynian.com/forums/feed
  • there is a plan to email everyone who has logged on over the course of the last year, to tell them the site is now less buggy and that our conversations are more riveting, and informative than ever
    Looking forward to that day! :)
  • Thanks, brooklynian! It works now--nice to have you back in my feed.AP
  • I was having the same trouble it seems as newguy. Today is the first day I am able to get to the site without any error messages or posts missing. Great job all.
  • Quick question - are the ads flashing for everyone or just me? Will it always be that way and if so is there a way for me to turn the ads off or get them to stop flashing?
  • @stacey no, I am just seeing flat ads for cars and office supplies. Let me know what ad is flashing and I will tell the ad service to cut it out of the rotation.
  • I found this video that shows where we started:http://www.wimp.com/theinternet/
  • "Imagine, if you will, sitting down to your morning coffee and turning on your home computer to read the day's newspaper..."
  • Site seems much better now.
  • Let's now begin to put it to test, by increasing traffic.Share your favorite thread on your Facebook feed. Tell your neighbors about the site.... Mention the Brooklynian when you post on other sites.
  • "I was told the pages will load more quickly once the web servers get more hits for the new site IP address; this causes them to not have to work as hard for it."As a site reliability engineer, I'm pretty skeptical about this theory. It doesn't actually make any sense at all. The only time more hits improves performance is if a site is so disused relative to other processes running on the host that it gets swapped out and the processes go to sleep. That does not seem to be the case here.Without delving too deeply into it, my impression is that the database used for Wordpress is at the root of the performance issues. It is possible that it is missing indexes on key tables. A database cache layer, such as memcached, can also significantly improve performance. The levels of performance we're seeing here now are so bad that it's almost certainly a simple problem.I'm happy to offer my expertise pro bono if the owners of the site are interested. PM me if so.
  • The new version lacks a PM feature, but I'll put you in touch with him via Facebook.
  • This site is buggier than a roach motel.I received this error message around 10:00 am when I was trying to create a post. (Of course, the post was completely lost and I have to start over.)
    Internal Server ErrorThe server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@brooklynian.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.More information about this error may be available in the server error log.Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
  • I'm really sorry about the lost post. We are pulling out the stops to fix the site. someone who knows something about databases and he's looking at it.
  • Hi, admin!I appreciate the response. Hopefully the kinks will get worked out soon!
  • So for the past day and a half I was unable to log in. Something about my password or username being wrong. Obviously this is not the case sine chrome logged me in automatically today. Anyone else get this? By the way it was wonderful to see the spambots posting the longest posts ever during this time.
  • Actually here is the exact message I get when the site won't let me login. "You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page."
  • Thanks - I think a few people have had that errorMessage. We are moving to a new login system this mon-tues which should eliminate that error. Stay tuned.
  • I was getting a blank site every time I tried to visit yesterday. The home page just said [bbp-topic-index] and none of the other tabs showed any discussions or forums either. screenshot
  • Laura - sorry, that was just me messing with a few things on the back end.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook