Assault in Prospect Park — Brooklynian

Assault in Prospect Park

Last night my girlfriend was assaulted by a group of kids on bikes in the park (near the PPSW entrance). She was running and the kids nearly ran her down as they sped by her. When she yelled at them for nearly hitting her, one of them said "hit the bitch", and another hit her on the back of the head as he rode by her. It happened fast and she couldn't positively identify the assaulter, so the police couldn't do anything about it. Of the many things that are wrong with that scenario, the one that irks me the most is that others in the park witnessed what happenened and NOBODY stopped to help her out. When she was hit she cried out, and other runners and pedestrians looked at her, but all turned away and left her there alone. What has happened to our community? Do people think that if they helped her out, they too would be the target of assault, mugging, or worse? Or is this another sad case of bystander non-intervention?

Comments

• Subject: Re: Assault in Prospect Park

Anonymous wrote: Last night my girlfriend was assaulted by a group of kids on bikes in the park (near the PPSW entrance). She was running and the kids nearly ran her down as they sped by her. When she yelled at them for nearly hitting her, one of them said "hit the bitch", and another hit her on the back of the head as he rode by her. It happened fast and she couldn't positively identify the assaulter, so the police couldn't do anything about it. Of the many things that are wrong with that scenario, the one that irks me the most is that others in the park witnessed what happenened and NOBODY stopped to help her out. When she was hit she cried out, and other runners and pedestrians looked at her, but all turned away and left her there alone. What has happened to our community? Do people think that if they helped her out, they too would be the target of assault, mugging, or worse? Or is this another sad case of bystander non-intervention?

If in the future you or your girlfriend are going to walk in or outside of the park, i recommend you put the 78th pct. number on your cell phone..- 1-718-636-6411,they will respond immediatly if there is a problem
This discussion has been closed.