Secrets restaurant opens at last, on Nostrand Park Pl/Prosp. — Brooklynian

Secrets restaurant opens at last, on Nostrand Park Pl/Prosp.

Has anyone made it over to Secrets yet?

I've heard through a friend that this lavish new restaurant and bar opened last Friday. The interior, two years in the making, is to die for. The front third of the establishment is a restaurant, great by Nostrand Ave standards, but nothing special in general, but the back 2/3's is a huge bar and dance floor, with cathedral ceiling, 50 foot custom made bar, ceiling to floor windows in the back, custom-made seating and wall sconces and an outdoor courtyard at least 40 by 50 feet. Like I said, to die for!!

The owners tell me the official grand opening is set for Feb. 1.

Bring it on!!

Comments

• Nostrand is my new favorite street.
  • Thanks for the heads-up, Greg! I may have a look on the way home tonight.
  • Greg and Hal - we can officially check it out! :D
  • So we had dinner over at Secrets tonight and it is an awesome space! The front is a nice sit down type of restaurant serving West Indian and American fare. Behind that is sort of a lounge area then a large bar in back. The bar has like 16 foot ceilings in the rear portion of it and in the back left is a VIP section with a cozy area for a group of like 20 people to gather behind curtains. There also is a garden area that will be open when the weather permits.

They are open according to the sign out front but when we went in we were the only patrons. There was a number of staff there still working out some last minute kinks for the Feb. 1st grand opening.

The owner graciously gave us a tour of the place stating from now on the full menu was served and the bar was open (about 6PM.) We has some of the West Indian food which was delish and I cannot wait to try some of the American as well.
  • CHP...I'm ready! Greg, what say you?
  • where is it located? Nostrand and what?
  • Nostrand between Park Place and Prospect Place
  • I'll have to try it out, but they're going to have to be great to overcome the name!
  • yeah!!!! can't wait to try it.. although I sure wish someone would open a "bonito" type place like in williamsburg and ft green. it's great, inexpenisive mexican food, that I feel could cross all the cultural divides in the community and it's delish and affordable...
  • I walked by that place a few weeks ago and the first thing I thought was "WOW - could the name be any cheesier? I HAVE to go there!".

If anyone goes to the opening, let me know. Maybe I'll amble on over.
  • So the front portion looks like a tacky sports bar... fake flowers on the tables.. I was not impressed... I will try it again when it has had its grand opening...
  • I stopped by at Secrets last night and there was a private party.
  • Hal wrote: I stopped by at Secrets last night and there was a private party.
    Shhhhh!!!!!!!!! That was supposed to be a secret. :wink:
  • Subject: Secrets

It's a beautiful spot.
    I tried the breakfast, calaloo, saltfish and pumpkin. It was delicious. About a little more than a week ago, I tried the catfish fingers. I think I'm going to be a regular there. It's a place you can take someone or meet friends without that fast food vibe. And they're going to have live music on Mondays!! :D
  • I tried to order twice this weekend, in the afternoon Fri & Mon. there was no menu printed up and I didn't want to just order anything so I guess I have to go back.
  • I went there for dinner. I had the salmon, which was very good. The bar area is very, very nice, and I can't wait to go there more.

The prices for the regular dinner were a bit high for me - I won't be able to go there regularly. My entree was around $17, so that is more for spcial occasions given my budget.
  • I tried the corn chowder last week. It was very very tasty. A bit different than the conventional corn chowder that I'm used to but well worth trying.
  • hmmm. I think I need to try this place out (hopefully a bit next friday). the jerk salmon over salad at cafe 400 is amazing. I hope I can find something as amazing at secrets.
  • yes, I agree on the corn chowder. It had some corn still on the cob in it! yum.
  • I thought the place was really nice. I don't know about "to die for", but we had a great time there.
  • I'd like to try their food. I think I ate a fry off of someone's food and it was delish. I really want that blackened shrimp/fried tomato thing.
  • Does anybody know the phone number for Secrets or maybe their website?
    THX!
  • omg. why do people make myspace pages that you can't read? so irritating.
  • alafairnadia wrote: omg. why do people make myspace pages that you can't read? so irritating.
    MySpace pages are often much like old personal webpages in the early days of the web, when people just learning HTML would make pages with swirling animated backgrounds, endless "under construction" GIFs, and gratuitious use of the blink tag. People who don't know much about layout or clean design getting to design webpages for the first time often use every element available to them at once. And it makes my eyeballs bleed.
  • apollonia666 wrote: [quote=alafairnadia]omg. why do people make myspace pages that you can't read? so irritating.
    MySpace pages are often much like old personal webpages in the early days of the web, when people just learning HTML would make pages with swirling animated backgrounds, endless "under construction" GIFs, and gratuitious use of the blink tag. People who don't know much about layout or clean design getting to design webpages for the first time often use every element available to them at once. And it makes my eyeballs bleed.

just like photoshop ate the brains of otherwise decent graphic designers:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28225
  • I like the place and it can be the next SOB's in Bklyn.

HOWEVER! ...IF they keep on "OD ing on Reggae" all night(50%) long and also not lowing the music down, It will KILL the place like other clubs Bklyn.

The boss need to stay on top of the house DJ they got and Sometime bring other DJ's with other music in.

Hay! The boss need too keep in mind, the neighborhood may have[b] 1-3% jamaicans ...and the other blacks are not into reggae music.
  • They don't always play reggae, I've been in there when it has been a bit more diverse. BUT- it is _always_ loud as all hell every time I have been in there. Doesn't bother me, if that is what everyone wants. But then I am usually having a couple beers by myself. I have enough trouble talking the the bartender or waitresses, I can't imagine actually trying to carry on a conversation. Nice place, though. And the only one in the area that I have gone in that regularly has a bunch of people there.
This discussion has been closed.