What would you like to see more of in the Montrose L area? — Brooklynian

What would you like to see more of in the Montrose L area?

Would would you like to see more of in the Montrose L area in terms of stores, restaurants, cafes, bakeries, etc.? :roll:

Comments

• GOOD restaurants where the owners/developers actually care about quality. Nearly everything that opens off Montrose is pretty half-assed...cafes that are not open in the morning (montrose cafe - now closed) or are dirty (joe mommas - now closed)...or cheesy restaurants like Danny's Cafe where you can get the SAME pizza that is available at their take out. Bars are opening without taps for crying out loud.

Jefferson stop gets the amazing Northeast Kingdom and Wykoff Starr Cafe and we are stuck with mediocrity. Sorry, rant over.

I would kill for a Thai place....Indian....a nice Bistro ala Dumont or NE Kingdom. A record store selling vinyl would be successful here as well. A nice bakery would be good, althought the one close to the subway is ok.

What kills me is that there are 2 or 3 empty spots right around the subway. The first smart person who opens something that actually fits the neighborhood and is GOOD is gonna make a killing.
  • I suppose the problem is that the market for these types of businesses for that area has yet to develop in that neighborhood. It took Williamsburg around the first and second stops on the L years to get those types of business to serve the area. Its all demand and supply and profit motive. No one wants to open up a business only to fail!!!
  • No Thai food. Brooklyn does not need another Thai restaurant.

There is a vinyl record store on Manhattan Ave, but I forgot the cross streets. McKibbin?

Besides, most people live around Montrose besides they don't have the cash to live elsewhere. The area is a dump. Not many will have disposable cash to frequent any new establishments.
  • "Besides, most people live around Montrose besides they don't have the cash to live elsewhere. The area is a dump. Not many will have disposable cash to frequent any new establishments."

That is complete idiocy. I know plenty of people who live there and even further out that have plenty of disposable cash and spend it in other hoods at the moment.

Thanks for calling where i live a dump. It has actually improved quite a bit over the last few years.

You sound like a complete asshole. take it easy.
  • BOARD MOD NOTE:
    Hey Guest - fair enough defending the place you live, but please refrain from name-calling. We're going for a no-name-calling policy here at Brooklynian.
    READ THE RULES is linked at the top of every page . . .
  • I am a native, how about you? I also live in the neighborhood, but let's face it: it is one of the ugliest places in all of Brooklyn. Even Brownsville has some nice housing. Greenpoint, without all of it's pollution, has some very nice brownstones and carriage houses. What does East Williamsburg have? Nothing. What do you see improving? Besides the influx of young white tourists, I don't see any improvement (and I like it this way).

And for the record, I did use the word "most". Not everyone is living paycheck to paycheck. I certainly am not. But most of the people I have met in this area are only doing so because they have been priced out of other areas. Will people travel to Montrose to go to a bar or restaurant? Most likely not. You will have to depend on the locals.

This said, every place in the area has done a lousy job. Danny's Cafe is a joke. What it killed them to have a weekend menu at least? I guess they don't have a standard grill.
  • I just wonder why areas beyond montrose....morgan/jefferson,etc seem to be getting higher quality establishments than the montrose area....

drop in on NE Kingdom on a weekend..take a look around....it's a much older, moneyed crowd than in E Williamsburg....same housing stock out there to my knowledge
  • - The vinyl record store is on Manhattan between McKibbin and Siegel.
    - It's not about people traveling to the Montrose area for better food establishments, its just about better food establishments to serve the residents off the Montrose area.
    - Noone has ever claimed W'burg or E. W'burg to be architecturally beautiful, but it does have it's perks, which is why you're living there right? No point in trashng it.

That being said, it would be great to see more bakeries, better restaurants to serve the influx of new residents and old ones alike.
  • Subject: 10 bushwick place

Guest, Do a "google " on 10 bushwick place
  • Subject: bushwick place and montrose

Anonymous wrote: No Thai food. Brooklyn does not need another Thai restaurant.

There is a vinyl record store on Manhattan Ave, but I forgot the cross streets. McKibbin?

Besides, most people live around Montrose besides they don't have the cash to live elsewhere. The area is a dump. Not many will have disposable cash to frequent any new establishments.

We moved from the city to brooklyn we like montrose and the east williamsburg area...we have the cash to live anywhere!
  • hey chango...I know that street....is that your house? i walked by some time ago and saw that it was being renovated.....
  • Subject: get over it

Walk to grand street... Thats a five minute walk... plenty of bars... thai food... hispanic food... and so on.. and the bakery on montrose rocks! mango y queso pastries mmmm.
  • Yeah, I like that walk to Grand street sometimes..Lily Thai is good for example. It would be nice not to have to walk that far though for me personally as I live 5 blocks away from Montrose Ave already...so Grand is a 10 block walk for me....again, no biggie most of the time.

As for stuff on Montrose, I really like The Vortex for record and home shopping and it looks like a new cafe is opening in the old Montrose Cafe spot..and yeah that bakery is cool. I also like Jessie's Cafer and Bakery on Bushwick.
This discussion has been closed.