hate the new developments — Brooklynian

hate the new developments

We want to buy an apartment in W-Greenpoint. We hate the new developments- all that glass and steel. What alternative do we have?

BTW where are the prices going in this area? Now with all the talk about foreclosures etc. is it making a dent in the market there?

Comments

• Historically, there are no coops/condos in WB/GP. Only the recent additions are what is available. Sure, there might be a complex here and there, but for the most part, the apartment-for-sale market is new.

I prefer glass+steel to the vinyl siding ugliness that is prevalent in WB/GP.
  • I prefer glass+steel to the vinyl siding ugliness that is prevalent in WB/GP.
    I dont understand what "vinyl siding" mean.
  • And what's wrong with siding? Wood claboarding's on a frame house is nicer if you have the $$. Cement board (siding) is da' best, but agin, more $$

What? Stucco and steel?

Yucky. :(

Budget drives the dress.
  • OP, you want to buy in greenpoint (what's the W for?), but you don't like the buildings. besides the new stuff there are a lot of houses (yes, many with vinyl siding) and some older apartment buildings. what did you expect to find here?

and despite the inflammatory articles out there, foreclosures are not happening on such a wide scale that it's affecting prices in general.
  • OP, you want to buy in greenpoint (what's the W for?),
    W = Williamsburg. I saw some really nice townhouse/brownstone types on Kent Street or the there abouts. Near the water. But apparently none are for sale. Im single so houses are out. What is one to do? sigh..... I work in mid town so being near the G is good.

If anyone knows of some nice building (old but redone) with charactor, around Graham L, please let me know. Much appreciated
  • Anonymous wrote: I work in mid town so being near the G is good.
    Being near the G is never good. :twisted:
  • Being near the G is never good.
    Carnivore, please clarify...
  • newkid wrote:
    Being near the G is never good.
    Carnivore, please clarify...
    I'm just razzin' you. It is the only subway line besides the Franklin ave shuttle that doesn't go into Manhattan at all. What do you do, take it to Queens, and switch for the E? That's actually probably not that bad for midtown. But you don't have an easy way to get downtown. Basically the problem with the G is that you need at least 2 trains to even get to Manhattan, and many (perhaps most) trips require 2 transfers.
  • I work in Tribecca and love taking the G. I moved from the Bedford L vicinity to half a block from the Greenpoint G. My commute time is the same (35 mins) but I don't have to deal with the god awful L anymore. Every morning I'm guaranteed a seat on the G and it never gets crowded. Compare that with watching 1 or 2 overfilled L trains go by before crushing myself into one. I love the G!!
This discussion has been closed.