New Restaurant (?) on PPW btw. 16th/Windsor — Brooklynian

New Restaurant (?) on PPW btw. 16th/Windsor

So, I noticed construction today on the former Indian restaurant next to Farrell's.

Anybody know what it's going to be?

Comments

• nope, but when a bunch of us were walking home from the park with our dogs today we noticed/wondered the same thing.

whatever it is, i pray it's not going to be a franchise of any sort! Dunkin' Donuts begone!
  • I'm surprised I didn't see you and your dogs as I was walking along the park and am on the lookout for that unique doggy face....

Yes, no chains!

Btw, have you tried that Italian place that opened last year on Prospect and PPW? Any good?
  • The Italian place on Prospect and PPW is pretty good, but kind of expensive for the neighborhood. I have a hard time paying $16 for pasta when my view out the window is the 99 cent store and Joe's Pizza, no offense to Joe's pizza, of course.

I hope whatever it is, it's healthy because I'm easily swayed by delicious, bad for me food and it would be too easy to order from a new place with delicious bad foods.

Here's the menu for Da Vincenzo...

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?areaid=32&restaurantid=28230&neighborhoodid=0&cuisineid=35&home=Y
  • i heard a rumor today. utterly unconfirmed, so take it with a grain of salt. what do you think of "pan pizza"? not a chain, but a pan pizza restaurant. just a rumor.

flexi, i haven't tried Da Vincenzo, but if you're interested they're on the Brooklyn Restaurant Week list. may be the right time to try 'em, considering i agree with turtle -- i think they are far too pricey for the locale.
  • yes, good pizza would be great......pizza on PPW is Teh suck
  • what, you don't like sabella's? jo's? and i am soooooo kidding. i concur -- pizza on PPW absolutely is Teh Suck.
  • Sabellas is definitely Teh Suck. No lids on the cups, no ice, crap pizza. Joe's is only a half a notch higher. Pffft. Pan pizza - bring it!
  • Just walked passed it again and stopped by to ask my friends at Krupa (and if you don't know this newspaper/candy/lotto store by now, you should - nicest family ever!) and they said it was going to be pizza + Italian. Not sure if that means "pan pizza", but it can't really be worse than Sabella
  • oh, i just call them "love"s!!! and they ARE the nicest people!
  • I call them "Lovey's" :-)
  • We eat at Da Vincenzo regularly. I don't think the prices are too bad and the portions are big. a salad, appetizer and main dish are enough for the 2 of us.

I've heard (from Da Vincenzo) that the new place where Amin was, is going to be Italian
  • I asked construction guys in the store what that place will be:

Italian Restaurant.

And I can tell you with a fair degree of certainty that it's brick oven pizza. Check it out when you walk by. It's dead center in the back.

What I want to know SOOOOO badly is what is going to go next to Fez and in the vacant Western Union. I'm dying to find out.
  • Subject: Krupa "Love" Grocery

I am working on a very short documentary about the wonderful people over at the Krupa grocery on PPW... my morning would not be complete without a genuine "Hi Love" greeting as I get my paper. I am looking for anyone who has a story to share about these truly lovely people.
  • Subject: Re: Krupa "Love" Grocery

doclady wrote: I am working on a very short documentary about the wonderful people over at the Krupa grocery on PPW... my morning would not be complete without a genuine "Hi Love" greeting as I get my paper. I am looking for anyone who has a story to share about these truly lovely people.

Oooh.....I've been going there for 10 years now. Mother, Father, Daughter, Brother, Husband....cats (Jinty and Lucky)....Mexican hip-hop...I love, love, love this place.

PM me about your project.
  • Subject: Krupa--great store--great people

"Hello Love!"

Every morning she gives me that greeting. At first I thought that was the only salutation she had ever learned, but she sincerely means it, I'm now convinced. The rest of the family, who don't use the same greeting, are just as nice. One of the younger brothers, I think, calls me "brother" and sometimes "brother man". One day i bought something at Krupa on the way home from work. Abut 10 steps out the door I heard a faint call of "brother man! brother man". Not remembering that this was my name, in Krupa-ese, I kept walking until the call got louder and closer. It was the nice younger Krupa guy, carrying a package of important art stuff I had put down in the store when I had to reach into my pockets to pay for my purchase. He said he would have held it for me til the next day, but thought it might be important or that i would need it tonight.

Nice people!

-Russ
  • BrooklynJack wrote: We eat at Da Vincenzo regularly. I don't think the prices are too bad and the portions are big. a salad, appetizer and main dish are enough for the 2 of us.

I've heard (from Da Vincenzo) that the new place where Amin was, is going to be Italian
    We've dined at De Vincenzo twice and were not disappointed. It's a welcome addition.
  • Ive eaten at Da Vincenzo's as well and I thought the food was good and the prices were pretty normal for a new restaurant.

Im surprised another Italian restaurant is going up but at least its not a check cashing or cell phone store. Anyone know what is going in the check cashing stores old spot?
  • Any word on when this place will open? I saw a burst of energy/building activity and then....nothing.
  • The sign went up.

It's called "Enzo's" and it says "Wood fired pizza & restaurant".

I hope it's good. Pizza on PPW sucks ass!
  • what the heck is that sign made of -- poured concrete? seriously, cuz i'm curious
  • I forgot to mention that the sign is hideous!
  • i was going to say the same thing... i saw it on the way to the PO this morning. creepy. i hope the interior is better, not to mention the food.
  • Subject: Hard facts on Enzo!

I spoke with the contractor the other day. Here's what I learned:

• They will open in roughly 3 weeks.

• 8ish tables inside.

• 30 or so person capacity on their outdoor patio. Yes, OUTDOOR PATIO!. It will be a year-round outdoor patio thanks to a gazeebo. He wasn't exactly clear on how big the gazeebo would be.

• They will serve beer and wine.

• Brick oven pizza and traditional Italian cuisine.

The interior is designed with a cheezy attempt at looking "Tuscan". It's not chic, or hip, or cool. It kind of looks like Pier 1 with an Imi-talian (imitation Italian) flare. They're blessed with exposed brick, but then add on to that a stone bar and fire place that seems out of sorts. The lights and sconces try too hard to look "Tuscan". They would have done much better to stick with a very simple decor, real paintings from locals (instead of fake artwork you see at Pier 1), and a lighter color scheme (not so muted and heavy).

However, these are all personal issues I have with the place. In short, it'll be like any other Italian joint around—as far as decor goes.

Obviously, I have no idea what the food is like, but if their pizza is remotely decent, coupled with an outdoor space, and beer… well, they might just have a regular in me, my wife, and my soon to be born son.
  • Cool. I asked a contractor a few weeks ago and they told me '2-3 weeks".....

I hope the pizza is good because I wouldn't give Sabella's pizza to my enemies....Joe's stinks too.
  • thanks for the update. i've got all fingers and toes crossed that this place will be decent.
  • Flexichick wrote: Cool. I asked a contractor a few weeks ago and they told me '2-3 weeks".....

I hope the pizza is good because I wouldn't give Sabella's pizza to my enemies....Joe's stinks too.
    I've been to their other place on 83rd and 5th in Bay Ridge ,they have a large assotment of pies that are good
  • well, that makes me hopeful. now if only they would OPEN then i could decide for myself :wink:

anyone want to make any guesses on opening dates?
  • shishkab wrote: thanks for the update. i've got all fingers and toes crossed that this place will be decent.
    Last week i was told they were having a problem with piping for the water and are waiting for a permit for the backyard,they said hopefully the opening will be soon.

They won't be selling slices just reg. or indv. pies
  • Today I spoke with Tommy Lee who works with the owners , he said they should open the second week in Nov.
  • I spoke with one of the owners yesterday and he said that there had been problems in the partnership so they split up and one partner is moving ahead with the restaurant...that's why things had stalled but they are back on track for Nov. opening
  • any word on those other two spaces? i see that one--the one on the left-- has removed the bad flooring to show early 20th century tiling, and that there are several industrial sewing machines in there. maybe the one on the corner is the meat pie place?
  • the meat pie place is the one with the teal paint on the corner. They've subdivided the check cashing place. Not sure what the other half is.

As for meat pie place..I hear "Australian meat pies" and "New Zealand pastries".
  • yes, i heard that. the boyfriend is very excited about anything that has meat in the title.
  • [quote="Flexichick"]the meat pie place is the one with the teal paint on the corner. They've subdivided the check cashing place. Not sure what the other half is.

According to the sign in the window it's going to be a new tailor shop.
  • Flexichick wrote: the meat pie place is the one with the teal paint on the corner. They've subdivided the check cashing place. Not sure what the other half is.

As for meat pie place..I hear "Australian meat pies" and "New Zealand pastries".
    They will be opening soon and have posted a help wanted sign in their window
  • and the tailor shop has darling little flyers on the window... they make custom clothes for pets.
  • Hamilton wrote: Today I spoke with Tommy Lee who works with the owners , he said they should open the second week in Nov.
    bump.

anyone heard anything new? i be lookin' for some pizza!
  • very few signs of life. I'm eagerly watching this too.
  • Subject: Re: Krupa "Love" Grocery

doclady wrote: I am working on a very short documentary about the wonderful people over at the Krupa grocery on PPW... my morning would not be complete without a genuine "Hi Love" greeting as I get my paper. I am looking for anyone who has a story to share about these truly lovely people.
    whenever i pass by there's always some enpowering poetry up on their storefront. that's sweet.
  • Hamilton wrote: Today I spoke with Tommy Lee who works with the owners , he said they should open the second week in Nov.
    bump.

anyone heard anything new? i be lookin' for some pizza![/quote

Before you wind up in pizza detox you may want to try Circles, they have a new menu which touts their "Lento's Style" thin crust pizza.

Lento's was a restaurant in Bay Ridge famous for it's thin crust pizza
  • Subject: pizza lovers beware

Forget the lento style pizza at circles
  • I walked into Circles once. Never again.
  • Subject: Laid an egg

I was in the butchers yesterday and overheard a customer say he ordered chicken cutlets in circles and they were so bad, he got up and left.

[sounds like a Johnny Carson joke how bad were they]
  • yeah, i went there once when i first moved over here. if i remember correctly, they didn't even have beer taps (i don't drink beer, but hubby does) at the bar, correct?

it's been difficult for me to find a bar i like within walking distance. sometimes i go to Sidecar; sometimes i go to KitchenBar. i wish there was someting even closer :wink:

you guys are making me want pizza again HAHA!
  • I'm getting hungry too and I'd love a good local bar (not into Circles, Farrells or R&B). I do like Sidecar, but it's a bit far
  • What about Bar Toto? I like that place. In warm weather at least. :wink:
  • well, speaking of bars and pizza, the folks from KitchenBar are supposedly opening a brick-oven pizza joint on 6th & 21st called Public House. however their website says it's opening in "fall 2007" and i think time's almost up ;)

anyone heard the word about THAT space?
  • Enzo's has life!

There was a report out there that Enzo's was going to be closed down. Turns out yesterday there were two workers inside Enzo's. They gave the now infamous response of "2-3 weeks" for an opening date. I doubt that, but it is good to see some work going on.

I did see a new shipment of tables and chairs and other furniture. Another good sign.
  • hey, that's good news! thanks for the update nyco
  • Subject: As time goes by

Enzo's is probably waiting for Mooney's close.
  • Ha! And there I was thinking you were going to say "Farrell's", not "Mooney's" :wink:
  • shishkab wrote: Ha! And there I was thinking you were going to say "Farrell's", not "Mooney's" :wink:
    As bad as Farrell,s is I would hate to see them close as they have over the years helped out many familys who were in desperate situations.
    Their problem is that they have not adapted to the influx of younger and better educated clientele who are the future of the neighborhood and what else would Denis Hammil write about if they closed.
  • nyco wrote: Enzo's has life!

There was a report out there that Enzo's was going to be closed down. Turns out yesterday there were two workers inside Enzo's. They gave the now infamous response of "2-3 weeks" for an opening date. I doubt that, but it is good to see some work going on.

Yes, i got the 2-3 weeks answer this past weekend as well and it reminded me of that movie The Money Pit. Anyone remember that flick? For months, the contractors assured Tom Hanks and Shelly Long that they'd be done in 2 weeks. "2 weeks! 2 weeks!!"

man, i loved that silly movie.
  • Subject: 2 Weeks or not 2 Weeks that do be the question

Enzo's is probably using the same contractors as Tom Hanks
  • I spoke with the owner tonight and he said they are waiting for their beer and liquor license to be issued, which should take another two weeks.

I asked why not go BYOB ,he said "it's ok for you to bring your own broad"

Fun Guy
  • so i noticed yesterday that the brown paper is off the windows now. looks kinda cute inside. any word on when they're going to "light the oven"? Hamilton, i think you're right -- BYOB would be fine. i'm more interested in trying the pizza, anyway, to be honest.
  • shishkab wrote: so i noticed yesterday that the brown paper is off the windows now. looks kinda cute inside. any word on when they're going to "light the oven"? Hamilton, i think you're right -- BYOB would be fine. i'm more interested in trying the pizza, anyway, to be honest.

They opened on Monday and had given Pizzas samples to some of the business owners on the avenue.

They said it was good .

I stopped in last night and asked for a menu , the owner said they were being printed and expected them today.

I didn't have time today but will definitely pick up a pie tomorrow
  • cool beans! looking forward to hearing feedback from you...
  • shishkab wrote: cool beans! looking forward to hearing feedback from you...
    I picked up the basic pie which has fresh mozzarella and plum tomatoes , it was excellent, the only problem was the size of the pizza.

Next time I'll order two.

They have a full menu of chicken ,veal and fish along with grilled steak,pork chops, sausage, and lamb.

There a twelve variations of pizza and a create your own pie with 35 combinations of toppings.

From 12:00 am to 4:00 pm there is a 25% lunch discount .

Before you ask I don't work there.

Enjoy
  • awesome!

did you notice if they got their menus in yet?
  • shishkab wrote: awesome!

did you notice if they got their menus in yet?

They did and it's pretty extensive
  • Yay! I can't wait to check it out
  • I just went by and picked up a menu. They had a decent lunch crowd

Menu looks pretty standard (old school) Italian - chicken, veal, pasta, etc. Plus pizzas (whole pie only), salads, appetizers, etc.

All of the apps, salads and entrees come in individual or family size.

Now I just have to try some of them :-)
  • i tried them last night. pretty good. but Hamilton's right, the size vs. the price is not quite right.

we and another couple had two pizzas, one of their specialties and one of our own creation. both were tasty. we also had a family sized salad to go with. everything was good, but not "Kapow!". however, i always try to give any new place the "three strikes" rule, so we'll be sure to try again in the near future.

my biggest problem? we called in our order for a pick-up (there's no delivery for another "two or three weeks"). we had to call not once, not twice, but three times before we could actually place it! first time, we were put on hold for way too long and i'm convinced they forgot about us (i am patient, believe me, but i'm calling a pizzeria not the cable company -- any more than 10 minutes and i hang up!). the second time, we started to place the order but they hung up on us halfway through. third time finally stuck. i tell ya, they'd better get a brush up on phone skills! again, i will give them the benefit of being newbies, but the next time i call i'd better have a nicer experience!
  • I usually past by them in the afternoon and evening and they always appear to be at capacity,I think their problem is they are understaffed and can't handle both phones and clients at this level.

I usually walk in and order which is easy for me as I live around the corner.

I'll stop by tomorrow and advise them they are losing business due to their inability to take phone orders

I'll give you an update tomorrow, providing they don't assault me (':P')
  • The bf and I went for dinner yesterday and the place was PACKED. They were clearly not prepared for such an onslaught.

We waited for a table and then waited for service. There seemed to be only one actual server. The other guys bring food to the tables seemed like owners who were taking care of tables because there was no choice.

Anyway, the polpette were quite tasty. The fried mozzarella app is huge and filling. Tricolor Salad was ok. I think they should go with Mozz da Buffalo rather than the regular unsalted Mozz. The pizza was good. I liked the size, but it's true, the price is up there ~$14 bucks, depending on how many toppings you get. It was a perfectly fine meal and I'm glad to have this option in the neighborhood.

One thing I do recommend to the restaurant is that they remove their wine bottle display until their liquor license issues are worked out.

I walked in and had a Pavlovian response to seeing the bottle of wine on the wall and was disappointed to hear there is no wine to be had.

I overheard one of the owners lamenting that they are not even allowed to uncork wine on the premises so that means no BYOB is possible either. I don't know how they're able to cook with vino.
  • I spoke with the owner and he said they will be opening the patio in a week or two.
  • I forgot to say that my mom and I ate there on Mother's Day. We had a good pizza with ricotta and pancetta (although we both swear it was regular bacon), and an arugula salad. Everything was tasty and they were friendly.
  • Subject: Patio opening

They opened the patio last week,just in time for summer.
This discussion has been closed.