Favorite places for live music — Brooklynian

Favorite places for live music

The WB/Greenpoint/Bushwick area has a great deal to offer in the area of live music venues. From shitty hipster bars to rooftop parties. One of the reasons I wanted to live in this area was the proximity to a number of places to see shows.

My favorite places to music entertainment tend to be the non club-type venues, like Raven's Den or Uncle Paulie's. I'm a big fan of paying low covers and bringing in my own alcohol, rather than spend $3 for a can of PBR(rip-off).

What are your favorite places for musical entertainment?

Comments

• Subject: Re: Favorite places for live music

MrKraayon wrote: I'm a big fan of paying low covers and bringing in my own alcohol, rather than spend $3 for a can of PBR(rip-off).
    How do you expect the venue to make money if everyone freeloads like you? Either pay a decent cover or pony up at the bar. You can't have it both ways.

Anonymous wrote: [quote=MrKraayon]I'm a big fan of paying low covers and bringing in my own alcohol, rather than spend $3 for a can of PBR(rip-off).
    How do you expect the venue to make money if everyone freeloads like you? Either pay a decent cover or pony up at the bar. You can't have it both ways.

Of course the folks who own liquor stores and supermarkets are probably bitching about how people insist on buying (and overpaying for) their alcohol at clubs...

As for "freeloaders" who only pay what the bar asks them to pay and not more (the horror!) it really is up to the bar to keep themselves in business, not the customers. Not to mention that "cheap" customers have their advantages too, like going around and telling their wealthier friends (or a bunch of random people on the Internet) how great your bar is. If that doesn't help, well then bars will just have to start raising their covers. That's called "Capitalism" -- go with it.

Then there is yet another issue, the issue of how the music scene (something which in theory everyone can participate in and enjoy) gets tied into the alcohol scene. Not only do people who don't drink (for various reasons, often good) feel ostracized, but folks under 21 get left out. This includes hot 19 and 20-year olds. Who is really happy with that situation? :)

Anonymous wrote: You can't have it both ways.

Yes I can,if the affair is BYOB and a the cover is 6 bucks. Obviously this doesn't happen all the time, but when it does I have no problem paperbagging a 40 oz.

How is it freeloading if I payed the cover. What about people who don't drink? Do you consider them freeloaders also?

I could swear this thread was about favorite venues, not how much I'm apparently a scumbag.
  • Mr Krayon, have you been to the new place, Death By Audio? it's near the glasslands in S.Williamsburg. it just opened but i haven't been there yet.

i could swear most of these semi-legal venues sell beer for $2 each. have they raised prices?! it is true though, it's nice to buy booze from the hosts, but i can only drink so much 'extra gold' beer.

say, whatever happened to the Syrup Room? do they still have shows?
  • jimmylegs wrote: Mr Krayon, have you been to the new place, Death By Audio? it's near the glasslands in S.Williamsburg. it just opened but i haven't been there yet.

i could swear most of these semi-legal venues sell beer for $2 each. have they raised prices?! it is true though, it's nice to buy booze from the hosts, but i can only drink so much 'extra gold' beer.

say, whatever happened to the Syrup Room? do they still have shows?
    I haven't been to Death By Audio yet,but they hosted a good show a couple of weeks ago.

Most of the semi-legal venues I've been to sell beer for 3 Dollars,except for Uncle Paulie's,which I have purchased beer. I don't refuse to by the venues beer, but if the flyer says BYOB, I'm all for it.

I've never been to the Syrup Room. I just moved to the Bushwick area 7 months ao. Frim what I understand though,Don Pedro's on Manhattan is going to start hosting shows.
  • Todd P is putting on quite a few shows at Don Pedro.

http://toddpnyc.com/

Crypt Records had the Black Lips play there a few months ago. I still haven't been. The Syrup Room had a few shows cancelled and then I haven't heard about them. What happened?

You want have low cover and not have to buy drinks? Who is supporting the venue? Who is supporting the bands? You must have so much love for arts that you do not want to support the artists.

And 40ozs? Seriously? If your goal is to get drunk, sure, but no good beer comes in a 40 oz.
    the issue of how the music scene (something which in theory everyone can participate in and enjoy) gets tied into the alcohol scene.
    Question really should be why drink shitty beer in the first place? It seems like YOU are tying in alcohol and the music scene. The only reason to drink 40 ozs is to get drunk, why bother going to a show then? How old are you? 20? Grow up.

Arts and commerce are forever tied together. It takes money in this city for shows to happen. We need to support the system.

And please, don't drink just to drink. Drink something because it tastes good.
  • Anonymous wrote: Todd P is putting on quite a few shows at Don Pedro.

http://toddpnyc.com/
    I know. I had that sight bookmarked for close to a year.
    Anonymous wrote: Crypt Records had the Black Lips play there a few months ago. I still haven't been. The Syrup Room had a few shows cancelled and then I haven't heard about them. What happened?
    I have no idea. I know the Syrup Room is in my neighborhood, but I don't know much about the joint.
    Anonymous wrote: You want have low cover and not have to buy drinks? Who is supporting the venue? Who is supporting the bands? You must have so much love for arts that you do not want to support the artists.
    First off,my idea of a low cover and your's could be different. My idea is 6 to 8 bucks. Doesn't the cover help support the venue? As I said before, are those who don't drink not being supportive enough? I support the bands by buying merchandise from them,typically an average of $20 bucks per show I attend. I have a great deal of love for the arts, but sometimes I find spending $3 on a can of PBR a bit off the wall. sometimes I don't drink at all because I don't have money to after the cover and merchandise.
    Anonymous wrote: And 40ozs? Seriously? If your goal is to get drunk, sure, but no good beer comes in a 40 oz.

the issue of how the music scene (something which in theory everyone can participate in and enjoy) gets tied into the alcohol scene.

Question really should be why drink shitty beer in the first place? It seems like YOU are tying in alcohol and the music scene. The only reason to drink 40 ozs is to get drunk, why bother going to a show then? How old are you? 20? Grow up.
    Forgive me for not posting a disclaimer at the end of my post explaining that was an example. Besides, it's kind of hard to get drunk off a 40 when you nurse it for 5 hours. My goal isn't typically to get drunk, at least not when I'm at a show. I know good beer pretty well, but sometimes a 40 oz. brings me back. I do like to get drunk sometimes, which is no concern of yours.
    Anonymous wrote: "Arts and commerce are forever tied together. It takes money in this city for shows to happen. We need to support the system."
    Alcohol doesn't have to be purchased from the bar to support the scene,man. More often than one, I do support the bar. But that isn't the threads topic of discussion.
    Anonymous wrote: And please, don't drink just to drink. Drink something because it tastes good.
    Even if I drank just to drink, it really isn't your business. Why do you feel the need to attack me without even knowing what I'm about. That's typical troll behavior, along with posting anonymously. I'm not accusing you of trolling, but I'm pointing out the similar behavior. Starting fights on the internet is pretty silly, But who am I to judge?
  • Hm. I don't drink beer at all, so I'll stay out of that debate...

Fave music venues: Glasslands and Zebulon. I saw DFA79 at Club Exit a long while ago and that was a good one. Europa seems to get a lot of groups I like, but I haven't had the pleasure yet. I've heard mixed reviews.
  • Europa is tolerable but like Club Exit it's primarily a Polish night club and so the atmosphere is pretty much the polar opposite of places like glasslands.

i think syrup room (if they're still having shows at all) is trying to keep a lower profile, so when they have shows they just list the address (in some cases they've given an address next door, to throw people off the trail!).

as for booze, let's not be naive, the vast majority of people who go to shows want to drink and they will find a way. many of todd p's shows are all-ages, and considering he's pretty much the only guy who even gives the under-21 set a second thought he deserves our respect. and i don't think $2-3 for a beer is unreasonable esp since you know it's going to a good cause, but most places don't care if you bring your own anyway.

anyway back to venues, how about goodbye Blue Monday, Micheline's, the Woodser? out near the syrup room there used to be a huge space called hi-five but it must be out of commission now. that's what weird about these venues, they can shut down without warning. Asterisk was clsoed for a while but it seems like they're back in business these days.

what's don pedro's like? raven's den is called silent barn now, right? so hard to keep track of these odd spots!
  • There was supposed to be a rock show at Don Pedro's last night the Crypt Records was responsible for,but the record store flooded so they canceled it. I was talking to the owner on Saturday, and he told me the place is nice and the beer and mixed drinks are cheap.

I saw the Locust at Europa the other night. I thought the drinks were expensive and the sound guy had little idea how to run a metal show. It made me wonder if they raise the prices on the alcohol just for the show. Hmm. Anyway, I'll go again, especially since one of the bookers from Northsix is getting some pretty awesome line-ups.

I've been wanting to check out GBM and Micheline's, but haven't had the chance.
  • Candicissima wrote: Fave music venues: Glasslands and Zebulon. I saw DFA79 at Club Exit a long while ago and that was a good one. Europa seems to get a lot of groups I like, but I haven't had the pleasure yet. I've heard mixed reviews.
    I really like Zebulon. Intimate, good atmosphere. I'm also partial to the reggae and afrobeat shows they get.
  • Oh another good space: Studio BPM. Disclaimer: my friend puts on shows there, so I'm a little biased. I've seen some interesting sets at Monkeytown.
  • I saw one of the best reggae shows of my LIFE at BPM. Awesome venue. Awesome crowd. Awesome show.

I'm hoping to find another good show to go to soon.
  • oh that reminds me, across the street from Life Cafe is the Wreck Room (Flushing Ave). it's a 'real' bar but they have bands play in the back and the drink prices aren't bad.
  • I stopped at the Wreck Room once and really like it for the short time I was there to have a beer. I had heard they have bands play, but I've never seen anything resembling a show schedule on-line. Do they even have one?
  • that's the problem! i walked in a few weeks ago and had missed a bunch of bands because i has no idea anything was going on (to my credit, the bands i missed included a lovely group called "Hymen Holocaust"). do they have a myspace site?

oh tonight Japanther is at 'the sugar factory'. what's up with that? is it really at the Domino plant or is it a sneaky way of saying it's across the street at Glasslands? then again, it says it's 'upstairs' so maybe it relaly is over there. at any rate it's supposed to start at 8, so i doubt i'll make it. too bad, i haven't seen Japanther in months!

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Friday April 20th @ SUGAR FACTORY UPSTAIRS

:: Harry and the Potters
    :::: Japanther
    :::::: Jason Anderson and the Best ------> x Wolf Colonel

[ SUGAR FACTORY UPSTAIRS ]
    289 Kent Ave @ S 2nd St | ALL AGES | Williamsburg, Brooklyn
    L-Bedford, G-Metropolitan, JM-Marcy | doors 8PM sharp! | $8

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
  • Boygabriel wrote: I saw one of the best reggae shows of my LIFE at BPM. Awesome venue. Awesome crowd. Awesome show.

Tomorrow night at BPM should be a good one. Check the Flavorpill writeup and the flyer.
    jimmylegs wrote: oh tonight Japanther is at 'the sugar factory'. what's up with that? is it really at the Domino plant or is it a sneaky way of saying it's across the street at Glasslands? then again, it says it's 'upstairs' so maybe it relaly is over there. at any rate it's supposed to start at 8, so i doubt i'll make it. too bad, i haven't seen Japanther in months!
    I think the Sugar Factory is this venue next door to the old plant. I've been there once and it was this smallish brown building I believe. Japanther is a good one to see live.
  • Candicissima wrote: [quote=Boygabriel]I saw one of the best reggae shows of my LIFE at BPM. Awesome venue. Awesome crowd. Awesome show.

Tomorrow night at BPM should be a good one. Check the Flavorpill writeup and the flyer.
    jimmylegs wrote: oh tonight Japanther is at 'the sugar factory'. what's up with that? is it really at the Domino plant or is it a sneaky way of saying it's across the street at Glasslands? then again, it says it's 'upstairs' so maybe it relaly is over there. at any rate it's supposed to start at 8, so i doubt i'll make it. too bad, i haven't seen Japanther in months!
    I think the Sugar Factory is this venue next door to the old plant. I've been there once and it was this smallish brown building I believe. Japanther is a good one to see live.

I was thinking of going, but i know I'll be able to catch Japanther anytime. And I don't really care for Harry and the Potters. Jason Anderson is awesome, but he'll be around again soon. I can't wait for Behold...the Arctopus and Disrhythmia at Don Pedro's on Sunday. It's a new venue, and it's a block away from my apartment. The owner of Crypt Records was telling me it's a great place with the cheapest drink prices in the area. I don't know if it's neighborhood bar material, but it will be nice to find out.
  • jimmylegs wrote: that's the problem! i walked in a few weeks ago and had missed a bunch of bands because i has no idea anything was going on (to my credit, the bands i missed included a lovely group called "Hymen Holocaust"). do they have a myspace site?

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=88996517

I just kind of happened upon this while watching movies on Youtube. Apparently, it's called Punk Rock Pool Hall, and it happens at the Wreck Room once a week.
  • Mr K, did you go last night? i checked it out, i really like Don Pedro, seems like a nice place for bands. and i may already have long-term hearing loss but i thought the soudn was really good in there for not having a real sound system. they served me jamesons on the rocks in a wine glass but i don't think it was expensive. staff seemed cordial, the door guy had to wave away some guys who were smoking in front of the curch next door. they asked him if the church minds the loud music and he said, 'oh, they're used to it.' that's my kind of church!

ooh i'll check out the wreck room thing sometime, i would love to see some HC around here.

i heard the sugar factory show was overlit and full of children.
  • jimmylegs wrote: Mr K, did you go last night? i checked it out, i really like Don Pedro, seems like a nice place for bands. and i may already have long-term hearing loss but i thought the soudn was really good in there for not having a real sound system. they served me jamesons on the rocks in a wine glass but i don't think it was expensive. staff seemed cordial, the door guy had to wave away some guys who were smoking in front of the curch next door. they asked him if the church minds the loud music and he said, 'oh, they're used to it.' that's my kind of church!

ooh i'll check out the wreck room thing sometime, i would love to see some HC around here.

i heard the sugar factory show was overlit and full of children.
    I stayed for the first two bands and then made my way back home because I was tired and had to work early. Don Pedro's is great. High ceilings are always a plus, and the place is really spacious. Disrhythmia sounded amazing. I didn't buy any beer this time around, but I'll be back next time something good is happening.
  • I finally got to check out the new Luna Lounge the other night and I like it a lot. It looks like a place that would charge an arm and a leg for a drink, but it was pretty cheap. Good sound, huge space.
This discussion has been closed.