Work at 834 Sterling Place
  • Those of us attending a community board meeting about 1 1/2 year ago were advised that the owners of this factory near Nostrand intended to convert this derelict factory into storage and office space, but wanted a height variance. We never heard back from them about their plans.

Today in a chance conversation with an employee of the owner, I was advanced that the project is moving forward. Indeed, as he pointed out, that dilapidated awning was removed last week.

It would nice to see this eyesore removed. Here's a link to what the Dept of Buildings has to say on the matter.

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobDetailsServlet?requestid=2&allisn=0001129383&allboroughname=&allnumbhous=&allstrt=

Renovation of this property will just about complete the transformation of this once dreary block. In that last couple of years we've seen added to the block 2 dialysis centers and just recently a new construction project to total 82 apartments. Rumor has it that the abandoned warehouse on Sterling Place and Rogers Avenue is slated for a new housing project as well.

Viva la difference!
  • Oddly enough, I actually like the character of the warehouse and the awning, although I agree that that stretch of Sterling seems somewhat desolate.

I used to live in Clinton Hill, which has a couple of storage facilities in the neighborhood. Those monstrosities (most notably the one on Washington and Atlantic) are an eyesore to say the very least. I hope that nothing like that is slated for Sterling!
  • Subject: guest

Is that the building that has the very cool colored glass on the second story? when you can see inside it seems like an amazing art space. I hope the renovations don't change that - i love those windows. But I thought the downstairs was a parking garage? Or is this on the opposite side of the street? I also thought that building was the one busted as a crack house earlier this year.
  • The parking garage is definitely across the street and the crack house, was a house, 865 Sterling, across Nostrand from this warehouse.

I too am sorry they took off the awning - I though it would make for a great cafe with tables and chairs underneath and a huge space inside.

Such dreams....
  • Laudanum wrote: The parking garage is definitely across the street and the crack house, was a house, 865 Sterling, across Nostrand from this warehouse.

I too am sorry they took off the awning - I though it would make for a great cafe with tables and chairs underneath and a huge space inside.

Such dreams....

The company that is moving there is a remarkable outfit. They design and market stamps for developing countries. Apparently stamps are big revenue generators for small countries who come up with unique and colorul stamps that become collector items. The company represents dozens of small African and Pacific island countries and is owned by a family of Hasidim living in Crown Heights. According to the plan that the owner presented at the community board many months ago, the intention is to move their worldwide HQ's to Sterling Place. Currently it is in Manhattan.

They may or may not also have a secure warehouse for stamps at the location as well. Stamps, once issued, are very valuable and must be kept in a secure warehouse. I guess the owner was being obscure about the warehouse for obvious security reasons.
  • Several years ago, this thread began with Capt Planet's attempts to get a variance for the property.

Fast forward almost 5 years and the neighborhood has changed.

Hello Living (locally known for its properties on Pacific near Washington) has purchased the site for $3M, and has big plans for the site:

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/WorkPermitDataServlet?allisn=0002433331&allbin=&requestid=2

Brownstoner wrote:

Plans have been approved for six (6) stories and forty-six (46) units. No word whether rentals or condos, but the previous nine Hello Living buildings sold condo units.

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2012/09/the-crown-heights-hello-living-development-will-be-big/#disqus_thread

...development comes to Nostrand!

• Not that this comment has much to do with this thread but I heard a report on 880 AM this morning that the developers around Barclay's are asking the unions to take a 25% pay cut so that they can fulfill their promise to build housing around the center. I guess you never have enough money.

• The building at 834 Sterling Place is also being discussed on a thread entitled Changes on Nostrand 2013+

http://www.brooklynian.com/forums/topic/changes-on-nostrand

• But there is no reason we can't discuss it here too.

Here is a photo of it today.

It looks like it might be ready for occupancy by November 2014.

• I'm really interested in this building. I have been watching the space since I moved to Crown Heights last winter. According to hl's website, they're installing the windows now which are supposed to be really neat.
  • When will they ticket those cars and trucks that frequently park on the sidewalk near the day care and garage? Doesn't the garage have enough space of thier own? Why is parking on sidewalks always tolerated in this PCT?  Duh, its called a side "walk".
  • I don't think they are going to make my Nov 2014 estimate. They seem to have recently resolved a DOB stop work order.

So, we might be looking at at a Dec or Jan occupancy if they really work on this...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook