Terrace Bagels -- are they smaller now? — Brooklynian

Terrace Bagels -- are they smaller now?

bought a bagel at Terrace for the first time in a couple of months. first thing i noticed is that they raised the price (not a complaint, just an observation). second thing i noticed was that the bagel seemed smaller than before. is that my imagination? i'm still not complaining -- their bagels are usually ginormous which is great for the carb lover but bad for the hips, know what i mean? anyway, i got a bagel today and i'd swear it was smaller. anyone want to weigh in here?

Comments

• Hmmm....been eating there for 10 years. Last one was 2 weeks ago. Didn't notice any difference. I'll keep an eye out
  • i definitely noticed the prices were higher.

1.45 for a cup of coffee, up from 1.25!?! and a mini-bagel, of all things, is almost a dollar!!

however, I haven't noticed any decrease in size in the regular bagels. Llast week i actually remarked at how giant my poppy bagel was.

maybe it you got a bagel runt ?
  • must've been a runt. it fit in the palm of my hand. bigger than a mini, but smaller than the giant dough pillow it usually is.

thanks for the feedback!
  • i've been buying the mini-bagels... did you knoa that those enormous bagels are equal to SIX slices of toast?
  • Ignorance is bliss!
  • I always think about that slice of bread ratio when i'm at terrace bagels. i am sure the ratio is more like 9 slices per bagel there.

Speaking of excessive carbs, I'm sure im not the first person to say this, but it kills me to see how many perfectly lovely bagels (as well as bags full of unused, uncooked bagel dough!) are tossed out onto the street every night.

I'm assume that there is some red tape ridiculous reason or regulation as to why they can't be donated somewhere.
  • brooklynpotter wrote: i've been buying the mini-bagels... did you knoa that those enormous bagels are equal to SIX slices of toast?
    yep. which is the exact reason why i haven't visited in a couple of months :wink:
  • Subject: Re: Terrace Bagels -- are they smaller now?

shishkab wrote: bought a bagel at Terrace for the first time in a couple of months. first thing i noticed is that they raised the price (not a complaint, just an observation). second thing i noticed was that the bagel seemed smaller than before. is that my imagination? i got a bagel today and i'd swear it was smaller. anyone want to weigh in here?
    The bagels arn't smaller the holes are larger
  • [quote="lanciano"]I always think about that slice of bread ratio when i'm at terrace bagels. i am sure the ratio is more like 9 slices per bagel there.

Speaking of excessive carbs, I'm sure im not the first person to say this, but it kills me to see how many perfectly lovely bagels (as well as bags full of unused, uncooked bagel dough!) are tossed out onto the street every night.

There is a group called CITY HARVEST which is a non profit food rescue organization who collects food for the poor [917 351 8700] if called they will contact Terrace Bagel and set something up.
  • lanciano wrote: I always think about that slice of bread ratio when i'm at terrace bagels. i am sure the ratio is more like 9 slices per bagel there.

................................................................................................
    [There is a group called CITY HARVEST which is a non profit food rescue organization who collects food for the poor [917 351 8700] if called they will contact Terrace Bagel and set something up.]
  • Rebecca: Oh, so you just assume that the homeless will eat them, they'll eat anything?

Mr. Lippman: No no, we just thought...

Rebecca: I know what you thought. They don't have homes, they don't have jobs, what do they need the top of a muffin for? They're lucky to get the stumps.

Elaine: If the homeless don't like them the homeless don't have to eat them.
  • I had one this morning (salt...yumm) and can report that they are as big as ever. The small one must have been a dud
  • was just at terrace bagel today and apparently they have bagel "happy hour" during which all bagels are half price. Is this new?

There's a sign above the bagels with the times:

I don't remember the early afternoon time (i know, useless!) but they also have happy hour prices between 10-11PM. I didnt even know they were open that late.

I'm very glad to see that they're making some kind of an effort to get rid of unused inventory without tossing them in the garbage. Especially given the increase in wheat prices.
    http://gothamist.com/2008/02/01/bagel_prices_ba.php
This discussion has been closed.