Windsor Cafe — Brooklynian

Windsor Cafe

So anyway I had to move my car at 9:30 because of alternate side and decided to eat out for breakfast. I was originally going to Terrace Bagels when I noticed The Windsor Cafe. After looking at their menu and deciding it looked like the other sort of pricey Park Slope greasy spoons (Katrina, Purity, etc) i decided to go back to terrace and order a nova on an everything with butter, both sides, tomato and onion. I didn't miss anything by turning my back on the diner did I?

Comments

• My kids and I just ate there last week -- we actually wanted to eat in Terrace Bagels but couldn't get anyone to take our order for like ten minutes so we went next door. Anyway, it was nice, as diners go -- a big step up from Katina's IMO. The service was very friendly and reaonably fast, and the fries were nicely well-done and crunchy. I ordered a garden burger, but sadly it was not a real gardenburger but one of those veggieburgers with peas and things in it. But it was okay and at least they didn't deep-fry it, which I've seen in diners too many times. My kids were happy with whatever they ate. If you like diner food, it's probably worth a try.
  • I used to like the food better before the new management took over, but at least the service is better. I enjoyed The Fez wrap, which is that veggieburger thingie you were talking about Rose. Sorry you didn't like it.

I would say one benefit of Windsor Cafe would be the convenience of anyone getting off the subway at 15th from a early night of drinking -- good hangover food. Although to be honest, I don't know how late they're open anymore.
  • there's a guy that works there that has three thumbs. it's gross.

one hand is normal, but on the other he has a thumb growing out of his thumb.

it's gross.
  • Captain Salty wrote: there's a guy that works there that has three thumbs. it's gross.

it's gross.
    I might go there just to see that.
  • Captain Salty wrote: there's a guy that works there that has three thumbs. it's gross.

it's gross.
    I find it a lot more gross that someone would post something so insensitive and childish in a public forum. That's just bad form.
  • So if you have an extra thumb, then just what is that thumb supposed to be opposed to?

I wonder if the second thumb works, or if it just dangles there like when dogs have extra dewclaws?
  • back to the topic at hand, before the topic turned to kindergarten banter, i really like windsor cafe. good breakfasts on the weekends, fast delivery of pancakes late into the night, good smoothies. though i don't think they're open as late as they used to be. we could use a 24/7 thingy down here, other than farrells' (which is called farrells' "bar and grill" even though there's no grill.)
  • Actually, one reason I didn't go in, they had no oatmeal on the menu. I luvs me oatmeal mon.
  • Idlewild wrote: Actually, one reason I didn't go in, they had no oatmeal on the menu. I luvs me oatmeal mon.
    but every place has oatmeal. they really don't have oatmeal? that sucks. still, i recommend the pancakes.
  • brooklynpotter wrote: back to the topic at hand
    heh.

sorry.

heh.
  • sweet tea wrote: [quote=brooklynpotter]back to the topic at hand
    heh.

sorry.

heh.

oh my... and i really, REALLY didn't mean that. (honestly. i hate that kind of humor. HATE puns. really. and i don't make fun of the physically disabled. ever.)
  • brooklynpotter wrote: back to the topic at hand, before the topic turned to kindergarten banter
    Sorry 'bout that, ma'am. Just felt goofy and a bit frivolous for a moment. Forgive me.
  • IW - Windsor Cafe is definitely better than Katina - by far! It's a diner, the menu is huge, but they still do a decent job, and their delivery is reliable. I often get a portabello salad there or one of their quesadillas. For breakfast, I've had French toast, bacon, hashbrowns, etc. several times - fair prices and it's not the zoo that many places are for brunch.

Their food is not gonna knock your socks off, but for a diner, it's a pretty decent place.
  • FWIW, i checked the take-out menu i have for them and it says they're only open til 10 PM Sun-Thu and 11 PM Fri & Sat.

so much for late nite eats :|
  • that bites.

which brings us yet once again back to daisy's diner, grecian corner, et alia.

we need 24/7 dim sum.
  • brooklynpotter wrote: we need 24/7 dim sum.
    No kidding -- that would be terrific. I'd never leave the neighborhood again.

it's gross.
    This guy is a human being who was born that way.

I have 3 friends with issues with their hands:

1) born with one hand perfectly fine and the other just has a thumb. They cut off one of his toes and made a second finger on that hand.
    2) one friend was dropped as a baby while on an escalator and her hand got stuck and all of her fingers were cut off.......but reattached
    3) one friend has a son who was born with 6 fingers and toes on all hands. He had surgery to cut off the extras when he was about 5

All of them are interesting people worth knowing and I feel more sorry for you than I do for any of them.
  • Carnivore wrote: [quote=Captain Salty]there's a guy that works there that has three thumbs. it's gross.

it's gross.

+1
    Maybe he's further UP the evolutional ladder than the rest of us :wink:
  • yeah, i'll drop by for a sec, just to see the thumbs.
    flame away...
  • kosherdave wrote: [quote=Carnivore][quote=Captain Salty]there's a guy that works there that has three thumbs. it's gross.

it's gross.

+1
    Maybe he's further UP the evolutional ladder than the rest of us :wink:

I think KD is right!
  • Anonymous wrote: yeah, i'll drop by for a sec, just to see the thumbs.
    flame away...
    Don't worry, I am sure the flamers (uh?) will go after flexi and AW, you should be fine :-)
  • I love, love, love the cafe!! My roommate and I go there at least once a week, and usually order take out on the weekends. Everything that I have had I have loved. Grilled Cheese, soup, burgers, pizza, fries, french toast. And the prices are not crazy NY prices and reminds me of good old Oh-io!
  • i never made fun of the guy. all i said was it's gross.

if i had 3 thumbs, i would think it was gross and have it removed.
  • Captain Salty wrote: i never made fun of the guy. all i said was it's gross.

But that is like saying that somebody who's a cripple or has some sort of facial deformity is gross. That is so unkind. Are you so perfect yourself?

But that is like saying that somebody who's a cripple or has some sort of facial deformity is gross. That is so unkind. Are you so perfect yourself?

You gotta respect an honest man.
This discussion has been closed.