Parking Garage Being Converted to Bar, Restaurant, Performance and Rehearsal Spaces....
  • http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20140305/crown-heights/artists-plan-convert-crown-heights-auto-body-shop-into-concert-venue

I wasn't sure if anyone else already posted this/whether it should go under the 1000 Dean thread (as this would be 1000 Dean adjacent), but yet another property in Crown Heights looks like it will be undergoing a major upgrade....
    Dean Street
  • I should add that this is in the very early stages of planning and would require community board approval, and as the article says a similar proposal was shot down last year as the perception was that such a complex would be a gentrifying force.  Given that this would be right next to 1000 Dean, which is a fairly massive (gentrificationtastic) undertaking funded by Goldman Sachs Urban Investment Group (amongst others), it'd be hard to argue that this proposal would have any more of an adverse impact than the one already in the works.  Plus, one of the knocks on 1000 Dean has been the lack of adjacent development, and this would begin to address that.  It'll be interesting to see whether the same concerns are brought up this time around, and whether they still carry the same weight in light of some of the recent adjacent development.
  • Plus, if you're trying to attract creative types to 1000 Dean, the presence of performance/rehearsal space in the immediate vicinity could be an additional selling point.  I'm curious whether the developers of 1000 Dean would see it that way, or if this proposal would be viewed as competition, insofar as both would be selling food and alcohol, catering to similar crowds.
  • Yes, we have been watching this site:
    http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/37947/893-dean-st-to-become-a-beer-garden-located-btwn-grand-and-classon/p1

The two threads are a little different so I'll link this one on that one, and then let nature handle it.
  • Seems like this project wouldn't require a zoning variance, just a liquor license— that's a lot less leverage that the CB has against the project.
  • ...Please be advised that the SLA & Sidewalk Café Review Committee will meet on Monday, April 7, 2014 at 6:30 PM at CNR-Center Light Health Care Centerwhich is located at 727 Classon Avenue, Brooklyn, NY (between Park and Prospect Places).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook