Vision Zero picks up speed - Page 2 - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vision Zero picks up speed

Comments

• Good for them! Your client was lazy and endangered other road users and hence deserved a ticket. 

Could we being seeing the very beings of the NYPD actually enforcing road laws for the benefit of all?
  • There is less violent crime, so it makes sense for their jobs to change.

• There are times when double parking actually does serve a purpose, to wit, picking up or discharging an elderly person with limited mobility, loading or unloading materials, discharging small children, etc. Not every person that double parks does so because they are lazy.

Judge not, and all that jazz..
  • edited September 2014
    The answer is to create lots of loading zones, or fire hydrants.
  • I think it's comical the hatred that so many on this board have for autos. I guess they never ride in them because if they do then they're all hypocrites. But no matter what, they'll all take at least one ride unless they're having a bicyclist pull their coffins to the cemetery or crematorium.
  • edited September 2014
    There are times when double parking actually does serve a purpose, to wit, picking up or discharging an elderly person with limited mobility, loading or unloading materials, discharging small children, etc. Not every person that double parks does so because they are lazy.

Judge not, and all that jazz..
    Well since I see people double park, turn off and leave their cars when there is a parking space up the block much more often then I see people double park to pick up or discharge elderly passengers or move heavy things. Also I see people all the time on Park between Nostrand and New York pull in front of the their friend's building jump out and have a conversation all while never even attempting to find a parking space. Also let's not forget all the times people double park in front of OPEN parking spaces. I don't think I'm wrong for judging them for being lazy.
    I think it's comical the hatred that so many on this board have for autos. I guess they never ride in them because if they do then they're all hypocrites. But no matter what, they'll all take at least one ride unless they're having a bicyclist pull their coffins to the cemetery or crematorium.
    Again only two people ever talk about hating autos. You and the Morralkan. I for one have never stated I hate autos. Find me a quote where I or any oneelse has stated this or actually says this or be quite if you can't say something that adds to the discussion. I for one do take the occasional car ride and acknowledge their utility. Why do you believe cars have the right to break the law and endanger others if they only do so for a few minutes?
  • @newguy88, I get where you're coming from, however I'm extremely sensitive to this after sitting for my godchild who suffers from hemophilia. During the two weeks that I was responsible for him I had to take him for an emergency infusion after a bleed and upon returning to the house, was screamed at by someone walking by that I was breaking the law when I stopped next to parked cars to give him the opportunity to get out and go upstairs to rest. As an otherwise healthy-looking teen, he told me to ignore them, that he's used to people not thinking he's sick. Just because you don't see a reason, doesn't mean that a valid one doesn't exist.
  • @newguy88, I get where you're coming from, however I'm extremely sensitive to this after sitting for my godchild who suffers from hemophilia. During the two weeks that I was responsible for him I had to take him for an emergency infusion after a bleed and upon returning to the house, was screamed at by someone walking by that I was breaking the law when I stopped next to parked cars to give him the opportunity to get out and go upstairs to rest. As an otherwise healthy-looking teen, he told me to ignore them, that he's used to people not thinking he's sick. Just because you don't see a reason, doesn't mean that a valid one doesn't exist.
    See I get that. It's hard caring for a sick or elderly relative and in those cases yeah double park. But situations like this make up .10% of total double parking.
  • Err, I might have spoken too soon! NYPD refuses to investigate hit and run, blames victim for not personally contacting them -her lawyer contacted them repeatedly- and instead they crackdown on cyclists.http://http://gothamist.com/2014/09/17/bushwick_cops_crack_down_on_cyclist.php
  • I enjoyed reading everyone's comments. Many legitimate points of view. I think the current version of Vision Zero misses one angle. The quality of driving skills and judgement.

I think driver skills have deteriorated. I think the state driving test should be more difficult maybe like in Germany (80 something hours of training not 6 like in NY). The current system is a joke.

As a daily driver I see many unskilled drivers behind the wheel. Examples: outside mirrors folded in. No headlights at night or during rain or snow. Turn signal only used after the turn begins. Waiting for green turn arrows where there are none. Inability to stay in one lane. Turning right from left lane. Driving down a block obstructed by an active garbage truck and then beeping. Some of these drivers could run someone over and not even no it.

There was a driver in Maspeth Queens about 2 years ago that injured a child on the way to school. The child was pinned against a store front by the car. The car wasn't speeding or running a red light. She was backing into a parking space. Yet somehow knocked down a small tree and parking meter then hit the child. None of the Vision Zero elements would have prevented the above crash example.

If you ask me in a perfect world the road test would be given with manual steering and stick shift.

They tell us driving is a privilege not a right but they hand out licenses like candy.

any thoughts?

• Is the NYS driving test not difficult enough? (I wouldn't know; incidentally I obtained my license during a 3 year period when I lived out of state). 

I admittedly can do better on parallel parking (something not address on my out-of-state road test). 

I'm not sure whether a stricter NYS driving test would address the issues listed by @wirenut, but enforcement would. Speaking of enforcement, some of the commenters on Gothamist who respond to stories of pedestrians and cyclists being hit by cars point out lackluster response by the criminal justice system either due to sucky laws or from law enforcement. 
  • The point here is that no matter what laws are invoked or what enforcement is going to take place people unfortunately will die. That's why they're called accidents. And as for all the comments on here about what a scourge cars are lets remember that even in the days of the horse and buggy people got trampled or thrown. And yes it was probably a smaller amount but it still happened and for the amount of vehicle miles driven the percentage of people that die is probably not that large.
  • For all you anti-car people....I was driving down Atlantic in East New York this morning and there was a mobile speed camera. Some guy was sitting in a Ford Escape with a camera and radar gun attached to the top. That thing must have snapped at least 10 cars in the one minute that I was stopped at the light. It was like a strobe. And since it's not supposed to ticket anyone unless they're going at least 10 over (or 35 for those who can't add) everyone must have been doing near 40. All in all, a big money day for NYC in just the time that camera was there.
  • edited September 2014

@wirenut ;The
    problem with addressing driver training is that it follows squarely under the
    state's authority. For this reason alone I can't see the requirements for
    getting a license intensified any time in the foreseeable future. The process
    of trading an out of state license for a NY one was absurdly easy. I just had
    to sign a form stating that my old license was still valid and that I had it
    for more than six months. There was no concern about whether or not my old
    state had actually prepared me to drive.

While Germany is getting
    a lot of buzz right now about their very high standards. However, England,
    Japan and Hong Kong have fairly high standards too. I'm told much of the EU has
    much higher standards than the US has. The problem here in the states is
    legally driving is a privilege.

However, we, from
    judges, cops, lawmakers and citizens, treat it like a constitutional right.
    I've known two people in my home state who have gotten multiple speeding
    tickets, been in multiple wrecks and one has had a DUI. Yet they still have
    licenses. The guy with a DUI got a hardship license allowing him to drive to
    work, school and legal hearings. Despite the fact that he lived at home with
    his parents and sister all who have licenses. Heck the judge who suspended his
    license told him how to get a hardship license. He should have told him how to
    get a bus pass. Here in NY we keep letting people who hit and kill other people
    keep their licenses! It's insanity!

I remember that incident
    well. I believe the lady suffered "pedal confusion." If you don't
    know what pedal does what you don't need to be driving. There are laws
    currently on the books that allow the NYPD to arrest dangerous drivers and DAs
    to prosecute. However the NYPD routinely messes up accident reports, sometimes
    quite severely, doesn't interview witnesses, and commonly fails to try to find
    video evidence in crashes that don't kill the pedestrian or cyclist. DAs
    partially because of this refuse to prosecute drivers. Also its harder to
    prosecute a driver who runs down and kills a child then it is to prosecute
    someone for a drunken bar fight that doesn't end in any injuries. Again Albany
    writes the laws. So thanks to their laziness and incompetency killers allowed
    back on our roads. 

@mugofmead11 Is quite
    right greater enforcement would do more than trying to change the requirements
    for getting a license would. However this will not happen with our current NYPD
    and DAs. The NYPD has proven time and time again hey don’t take crashes seriously.
    While there is some speed enforcement after a crash, unless it was a DUI, there
    is rarely any action taken against the driver.

@pragmaticguy
    Name one time just ONE time anyone here other than yourself used the words
    "anti-cars" or stated they hate cars. JUST ONE! By the way an
    accident assumes no one is at fault. The word accident is falling out of use
    instead collision is being used. Careless driving causes collisions not an
    accident. If I'm driving over the speed limit, make a turn and hit a pedestrian
    who has the right of way it was a collision and not an accident. If when
    carrying a glass of water from the kitchen to my desk I spill some it was an
    accident and not a collision. Get the difference?

• edited September 2014
    By the way, I mentioned in the Associated thread that at this rate this neighborhood won't have many gas stations left! Maybe that will be a win for being "anti-car"! LOL*

*tongue planted firmly in cheek
  • @mugofmead111 Blast it all! You have stumbled upon my master plan to rid the world of cars by removing all the gas stations everywhere! *Evil genius laughs*

*No such plan exists. Nor do I wish to have such a plan.
  • @Newguy....I don't have to prove that someone stated verbatim that they are anti-car. By questioning what I said you are admitting to being that way because I didn't single anyone out. The fact that quite a few on here have a distaste for vehicles shows that they are anti-car. Pro-lifers don't have to say they're anti-abortion to show that they're pro life they just have to keep saying that life is the better choice. The same applies here.
  • edited September 2014
    Let's say people are "anti-car". The irresponsible usage of cars (like with guns) generates ill will. One can argue that the ill will derives more from the people using them than with the actual inanimate object.

This is why we can't have nice things in a densely populated borough
  • edited September 2014
    @pragmaticguy My god you're just... uh... I really don't have friendly words. I admitted nothing nor am I anti-car. In fact in a couple places I have stated that I get cars and their utility value. 

You keep stating that people here have stated they are anti-car. Here is a quote where you have called people, on this board, who want traffic regulation anti-car  "I think it's comical the hatred that so many on this board have for autos." You typed that and you should own up to it. You are unable to field any logical arguments in favor of not fighting against dangerous driving. So you call people names. Like a five year old would.
  • edited September 2014
    No one is calling anyone names.

The fact is that several people on this site have made it abundently clear that they would be much happier if no autos were allowed in the 5 boros. And New Guy, I am neither quoting nor paraphrasing anyone's anti-car remarks... I am using my own words to characterize their statements.

Traffic regulation is fine. It should be applied, first and foremost, to pedestrians who blithely cross major thoroughfares with earbuds in and while staring at their cellphone screens. Next it should be applied to bicyclists who run red lights (something I used to do regularly while riding) or ride the wrong way on one-way streets.

After that it should be applied to cops, who are apparently taught that the rules of the road do not apply to them, even when they're just on their way home or to cadge free coffee and donuts from a local shop.

Finally, it should be applied to all drivers of automobiles, but in such a manner as not to be overly punitive, in the sense of trying to discourage all drivers from ever sitting behind the wheel of a car.
  • edited September 2014

Finally, it should be applied to all drivers of automobiles, but in such a manner as not to be overly punitive, in the sense of trying to discourage all drivers from ever sitting behind the wheel of a car.
    If automobile drivers were following the laws, traffic rules, etc, then how would enforcement be overly punitive to the average law-abiding driver? [/devil's advocate]
    After that it should be applied to cops, who are apparently taught that the rules of the road do not apply to them, even when they're just on their way home or to cadge free coffee and donuts from a local shop.
    Like the officer who struck and killed pedestrian Ryo Oyamada?
  • A 25 mph speed limit on a major thoroughfare like Eastern Parkway or Atlantic Avenue is punitive. It says to drivers, "this city doesn't want you. Go away."

It would be much, much better to flood the streets with cop cars, and with speed and red light cameras, to enforce a 35 mph speed limit, then to make all drivers crawl so as to prevent a few bad eggs from recklessly racing.
  • I would also favor strict enforcement of relaxed traffic laws against bicyclists... I see no reason why bikers should have to waste hard-built momentum by stopping at stop signs or red lights when there are no cars or pedestrians at or near the intersection.

So require bicyclists to do a "rolling stop"... I.e. To slow down sufficiently to ensure that they are not endangering themselves or others by blowing through the intersection, and heavily fine or even jail the reckless few who ignore even those relaxed requirements.
  • What is great about "enforcement" as a topic is that everyone can say that if the laws were enforced on others, they would -in turn- respect the law.   However, no one wants to be the first group the enforcement is levied against.

So, we create situations (ie speed limits) in which virtually everyone is breaking the law, and then:

- complain that the police use discretion when they enforce it.
    - wonder why the court system is clogged with personal injury lawsuits.

It's all kinda self supporting.  

• In this city, the police have rarely enforced traffic laws. We also have a frightening number of unlicensed, uninsured drivers.
  • I suspect they are among those with the least to lose in a civil suit.
  • In this city, the police have rarely enforced traffic laws. We also have a frightening number of unlicensed, uninsured drivers.
    I'm pretty sure the insurance won't be terribly eager to pay out for people with fake registrations in PA/GA/whatever, either.
  • @mugofmead111 Blast it all! You have stumbled upon my master plan to rid the world of cars by removing all the gas stations everywhere! *Evil genius laughs*

*No such plan exists. Nor do I wish to have such a plan.

We saw the chaos & violence when we ran out of gas after Storm Sandy. Life would be extremely different.
  • Several months ago a Deputy DOT Commissioner stated at a press conference announcing a new 25MPH speed zone somewhere that (I'm para - phrasing) this lower speed limit will help prevent injuries to jay walkers. He used the word "jaywalkers".

Growing up in NYC I was taught that as long as you wait your turn (on the sidewalk) to cross the street, it doesn't matter how fast the cars are driving while you wait for the light to change. Some streets were 25MPH some were 30MPH some were 40MPH

I think this concept is still true. And as a driver I resent that because government can not control blatant jay walking, it has resorted to lowering speed limits with the mantra: if hit by a car at 25 mph you have a greater chance of living.

They're throwing up their hands in failure.

Its akin to someone stealing your garbage cans.
    You cant stop him so you just put out fewer cans for him to steal.
  • @wirenut I just want to reiterate that was a joke. I fully understand and realize that we need gas stations. 

The problem is people no longer feel the need to pay attention when they Jaywalk. They stare down at smartphones with earbuds in blazing music so they don't hear or see anything. Jaywalking is here to stay I fear and as drivers, and cyclists, it's our legal and moral obligation to watch out for them. As per the law which requires drivers to exercise due caution according to road conditions. When was the last time a jaywalker injured or killed anyone other than themselves. Yet cars kill people every single freaking day. If you can't handle jaywalkers you have no business being behind a wheel in NYC.

Frankly, after three years on a bicycle I've learned to watch out for jaywalkers at crosswalks or in the middle of certain streets i.e. danger points. Like cars I expected them to do the most unexpected thing and the most on expected time. That being said they are the last group of road users to not be hit by a ticketing blitz. And you know what? I'm OK with that the police should focus their time on attention on cars you know the multi-ton vehicles that actually kill and maim large numbers of people each year. That being said would it kill people to look up before they cross the street against the light? Seriously would it?

How can the government control it? It's part of NYC culture in a way we eat dirty water dogs and walk against the light. The only way they could control it would be to put fences along all streets and have railroad style gates at all intersections. Really people need to look up and that goes for drivers too. At least once on every single ride I take I see a driver texting, playing with a navigation system, or talking on a phone. 

I don't believe the speed limit was lowered to protect jaywalkers.The reason many safe street advocates wanted 20 and settled for 25 MPH speed limit because if you're hit at the speed you are much more likely to survive. Could you find me a link where any DOT employee suggested the speed limit was to keep jaywalkers safe? 
  • A 25 mph speed limit on a major thoroughfare like Eastern Parkway or Atlantic Avenue is punitive. It says to drivers, "this city doesn't want you. Go away."  
    Those are regular city streets, not full highways. 

One can argue that it's a shame that a full highway that goes through the middle of Brooklyn (the Prospect Expressway and the Interboro [I still use the old name] Parkway aren't sufficient), but that ship has sailed. 
  • Newguy I knew you were joking but it was still interesting to see the chaos that broke out.

I saw the Deputy Commissioner speaking on a news broadcast. I dont remember which station but I am going to search around.

There's no doubt jaywalkers are here to stay. I have been dealing with them and avoided hitting them for 35 years (so far) maybe I will hit one when Im old and senile. (No I am not yet)

One of my other complaints is that the speed cameras I have located so far are NOT at locations that I know to be collision/injury prone. They appear to be where the temptation for speeding is greatest. Such as Belt Pkwy Service Road ramp near Ocean Pkwy Per several news reports this one camera did 1500 plus tickets in one day on July 7, 2014 for a total of $77,000 that day alone. This spot is a combined exit / entrance ramp. You would expect drivers to be transitioning from highway to street speed there and vice versa. Show me 1 police report that anyone was injured there in the last 20 years. Yes it is near a school but this is a highway service road that has practically zero pedestrians. Yes they were speeding but how is this camera making students safer?

One more thought. The NYS speed camera law currently only allows "school zones". School zones have been defined as 1/4 mile radius. That roughly equates to 5 city block radius. With all the schools in NYC public and private, by that definition that is a large part of the geography.
    5 block radius =78.5 block area per school. Approx 1100 schools in NYC = 86,350 blocks within school zones.
    How many city blocks are there in total in NYC?
  • edited October 2014
    It is certainly a good time to be part of the NYC economy that sells bikes, paints bike lanes, or installs corrals.

It is also a good time to be lazy and in media; any mention of bikes gets viewers all excited. Bike in NYC are a sure fire formula, just like mentioning god, guns or gays in the south.
  • @whynot_31 Yes it's a very good time to have a bike shop or to be a DOT contractor. However, I suspect its almost always a good time to be a DOT contractor. 
  • In the 90s, it was not a good time to be a DOT contractor.   

Instead of repairing roads, we placed shopping carts in large holes to warn approaching cars.
  • edited October 2014

I'd attribute it to improved infrastructure and greater awareness of cyclists.
    Exactly.

And this whole whynot conspiracy thing about smart transportation planning changes being just some plot to raise traffic ticket revenues and enrich some people who paint bike lanes is just tired.

Cities around the world are making the exact same changes for the exact same numerous, obvious reasons. That has nothing to do with Albany and traffic tickets and bike lane paint salesmen and all this other noise.

By the way, a cyclist was hit by a car tonight at Franklin & Union. She appeared to be OK enough; I didn't stick around once the ambulance was on its way. But hey, whatevs. That oppressive, totalitarian Franklin Ave bike lane ends at the Parkway and drivers gots time to immediately make up after that. I'd say we should extend the lane to Empire (and beyond) to prevent people being run down like this, but I don't want to be called a shill for that evil bike lobby.
  • I was not aware I believed in a conspiracy.
  • @whynot_31 Thats just what someone in a conspiracy would say! 
  • Is this like proving or disproving the existence of god?
  • The city council has just set the 25 MPH speed limit. Now only if enforcement was better then sporadic at best. I'm sure the pro-death and dismemberment crowd will be by shortly to tell us how we hate cars. 
  • edited October 2014
    The city council has just set the 25 MPH speed limit. Now only if enforcement was better then sporadic at best. I'm sure the pro-death and dismemberment crowd will be by shortly to tell us how we hate cars. 
    The anti death and dismemberment crowd may be by to tell us how they valiantly overcame "our" objections.

Even though most of us don't own a car and over 5 million of us take the subway everyday, we will politely congratulate on them on their victory.

http://www.mta.info/news-subway-ridership-l-r-g-b-d-4-7/2014/03/24/2013-ridership-reaches-65-year-high

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._cities_with_most_households_without_a_car

Some people need to feel they have overcome huge obstacles in order to be successful, and the rest of us should be polite to them.
  • Wonder how much money the city wasted on the now unnecessary special slow zone signs -- the ones that specify Eastern Parkway Slow Zone, for example -- in the last few months. It's a good time to be a speed limit sign supplier.  
  • The city council has just set the 25 MPH speed limit. Now only if enforcement was better then sporadic at best. I'm sure the pro-death and dismemberment crowd will be by shortly to tell us how we hate cars. 
    I think the law has no teeth if there isn't sufficient enforcement. 
  • @mugofmead111

Thats the problem there are laws on the books that punish dangerous and destructive driving. However the NYPD is too incompetent to enforce them and our DAs lazy. 
  • edited October 2014
    Regardless of the causes, the lack of enforcement leads to allegations of the laws being discriminatorily enforced, when they are enforced.

Fun, isn't it? Kinda leads one to conclude that only laws that are enforcible should be passed....
  • @whynot_31 Or we simply need to clean out our police department and get rid of DAs being a political position. 
  • Good luck with either, or both.

While you work on that, I'll be on the subway.
  • Politicians can be unelected and the political winds against police brutality and corruption are slowly but steadily changing. 
  • edited October 2014
    My view is different, but I hope your view works for you.

Personally, I would not mind living on a college campus with a green, car free quad, and an administration I believed was benevolent.

Those were good times.
  • I think the traffic enforcement issue comes down to the question of whether New Yorkers want policemen cooping in cars or giggling in apartment lobbies. Most folks would probably prefer cops walking the beat rather than driving the streets.

Also, it's less tax-intensive when the city doesn't have to buy additional patrol cars, or pay for gas and for expensive repairs after high-speed chases.
  • I think the traffic enforcement issue comes down to the question of whether New Yorkers want policemen cooping in cars or giggling in apartment lobbies. Most folks would probably prefer cops walking the beat rather than driving the streets.

Also, it's less tax-intensive when the city doesn't have to buy additional patrol cars, or pay for gas and for expensive repairs after high-speed chases.
    That would be very discouraging to Amy Cohen, the mother of the little boy killed by a speeding van in Park Slope. She was one of those who had lobbied hard for the law to be changed.

• As a result of a declining crime rate, I would like to believe that the police are under some pressure to justify their present size.

I would think it would be in their interests to show their support for traffic enforcement.

...they certainly have issued more tickets.

• Here's something to mull over..... Most drivers when they see a red light coming up either slow down or at least coast to the intersection. This enables them to stop should there be a late crossing pedestrian or vehicle still passing in front of them.  Next year Audi is coming out with a cell phone based app that will tell the driver how many seconds until the light they're coming up on turns green. Not all areas transmit this info but I guess some do. So, now we're going to have a bunch of idiots looking at the displays in their cars to see when the light will turn green which I'm sure will make them figure they don't have to slow down. And....if you happen to be in the lane in front of them in your car and you don't step on the accelerator quickly enough you may get read ended. This is something I hope never gets put into a vehicle but it probably will.
  • The above family has become the face of Vision Zero.

However, a more accurate depiction of the kids most at risk would not involve their deceased son.

http://www.gothamgazette.com/index.php/government/5380-kid-un-friendly-streets-child-pedestrian-deaths-injuries-vision-zero-new-york-city
  • This picture in Gotham Gazette's article isn't at Nostrand and Avenue H.

That intersection is Nostrand/Flatbush (with Hillel Place behind where that new Dallas BBQs will open). Crossing at the Flatbush Junction sucks. I will give them credit for having a pedestrian "walk" sign just for pedestrians while the vehicles on Flatbush and Nostrand get a red light. The duration could be a little longer though.

Crossing at this intersection (Foster/Bedford/Flatbush) also sucks.

• edited October 2014
    The new speed limit is in effect November 7th.

• edited October 2014
    DeBlasio seems to have chosen the Lower Eastside to sign the actual bill lowering the speed limit.

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20141027/lower-east-side/de-blasio-signs-bill-lowering-speed-limit-near-site-of-girls-death

Delancy St is pretty crazy. I saw a ped get hit at Delancy and Eldridge in 1998. I was first on the scene, and waited with the driver for the ambulance. I suspect the ped died in the ambulance or the hospital. He was barely alive when he was with me and the crowd that quickly formed.
  • edited October 2014
    I'm grateful to be alive.

• We are are glad you are alive too.
  • edited October 2014
    Glad you're still with us! Keep in mind the laws are written as if you bicycle was a car and not a bicycle. Don't get annoyed with other cyclists for making choices that keep them safe. 
  • Wishing you a full and speedy recovery @travelriter.
  • NYC motorists killed 6 people this week and very seriously injured at least 8 others.  
  • edited October 2014
    The above family has become the face of Vision Zero.

However, a more accurate depiction of the kids most at risk would not involve their deceased son.

http://www.gothamgazette.com/index.php/government/5380-kid-un-friendly-streets-child-pedestrian-deaths-injuries-vision-zero-new-york-city
    I don't think they or anyone else are claiming their son was the type of child most at risk for being killed by a driver.  They have just taken the lead at pushing for this stuff to be seriously addressed.

I've long found it pretty amazing that some of the people most opposed to road diets (e.g. the NBBL crew) are older white people who generally claim to be socially and politically progressive.  Nothing unites old Republicans and old Democrats like their addiction to cars and hatred of anything that even slightly threatens their supply.
  • How are we doing are a yearly basis?

Are we going to beat our 2013 numbers?
    http://www.streetsblog.org/2014/01/31/nypd-16059-pedestrians-and-cyclists-injured-178-killed-in-traffic-in-2013/
    WNYC's tracker shows 112 pedestrian and 17 cyclist killings.  At that pace there will be around 155 total this year.  So a drop from last year (178) and in line with 2012 (152).

• edited October 2014
    Given how few cyclists there are relative to the number of peds, cyclists are a lot more at risk of death.
  • edited October 2014
    Actually pedestrian deaths and cyclists injuries were at a five year high in 2013 according to Streets Blog. http://www.streetsblog.org/2014/10/29/nyc-pedestrian-and-cyclist-traffic-injuries-hit-five-year-high-in-2013/
  • According to that blog, there were 9 cyclist fatalities and 183 dead peds in  2013,   a ratio of approximately 1:20.

Regardless of which numbers we use, being a cyclist is far riskier than being a ped.

• edited November 2014

Western Crown Heights edition
  • edited November 2014
    Now that we have passed a lower speed limit and have told everyone (ahem, Albany) we are doing as much as we can to enforce it, it is time to return to those much coveted East River Bridges.

Let's argue trucks on Canal Street are dangerous (which is easy, because they are): http://gothamist.com/2014/11/11/canal_street_deaths.php

Then, once everyone is in agreement, let's point out that Albany won't let NYC ban trucks on this route.

Then, let's point out that the reason there are so many trucks on this route is that the trucks take it to avoid the tolled crossings.

Then, now that we have successfully demonized Albany, let's figure out something we are willing trade for the right to tolling the bridges:

Suggested music: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycZdVI-gQxs

• C'mon now, trucks on Canal St. aren't dangerous. People getting in the way of trucks is where the problems occur. I've been down there hundreds of times and haven't gotten run over once.
  • Most people find being afraid of them to be easy.
  • By the way....I've noticed people trying to stick to the 25 mph limit on EP but in front of my office on St. Johns 40 is no problem.
  • They may perceive EP as having speed traps, but not the blocks with lots of small children (such as St. John's).

• Here's the rub with the Canal Street problem. One of the two fatalities wasn't truck related at all. The other involved a garbage truck, which probably is going to be exempted in any ban on trucks. If Canal is removed as a truck route, some alternate street will need to be selected as a truck route in the area. Given the fact that many of the streets there are narrow and crowded, there aren't a lot of other options. Then you have to take into account that while much of the truck traffic may be from vehicles trying to use the Manhattan Bridge to get into/out of Brooklyn, there is a fair amount of local traffic servicing the businesses in Chinatown, Soho and Tribeca. What is the option for those trucks wanting to get east/west?

I wish Margaret Chin would have looked at the truck map before she made this proposal. What's the alternative, sending trucks to Worth Street? Removing Canal from the truck routes removes the only east west through route south of 34th street and would result in significant traffic being rerouted through several other neighborhoods as an alternative. Imagine trucks having to come off the Williamsburg and then go north to 14th street then south again to get to the west side, or having to go south to Wall Street then back north. That's a lot of gas, emissions, and significant additional time and road miles. For all the Vision Zero proponents, I think you guys need to support local warehousing and distribution to get trucks off the road, and stop acting as if legislating traffic is going to make it go away. Start by not turning manufacturing, factory and warehouse spaces in places like CH into beer gardens, cheese caves, and expensive lofts. Otherwise we will be drinking a lot of $20 pints as our drinks meander through the city to get to us.
  • I can't imagine NYC being willing/able to pay whatever the post election price is for tolling the East River, but am still entertained by watching this movement unfold.
  • edited November 2014
    They really just need a red light and speed camera where the Manhattan bridge exits onto Canal. I can't tell you how many cars and trucks blow through that light or gun it like their in a NASCAR race. Also the right turns permitted on red after stopping sign needs to go. Buses just gun through that turn without looking and end up almost hitting cyclists who have the green light leading to the bike path. 

I get that some of the trucks fly through Chinatown like bats out of hell but honestly I have more trouble with cars and buses on Canal then trucks. I also hate to say this but Chinatown has some of the worst jaywalkers in the city. As a group they'll all decide to just get up and jaywalk into oncoming traffic. The only reason more of them don't get hit is they always do this as a large group. It's actually quite funny to see them silently synchronize this expertly executed mass jaywalking. Unlike the jaywalkers in Midtown who have pack leaders and stragglers the ones in Jaytown more or less stay together. 
  • To talk about traffic fairly everything should be made equal ..like.. coming to a full stop for traffic lights/signs and no jay walking.
  • Vision Zero Atlantic Avenue walking tour

When: Saturday, November 15, 9:00AM – 11:00AM
    Where: Corner of Nostrand Avenue and Atlantic Avenue

Learn the unique problems, and some local activists’ hopeful solutions, to one of Brooklyn’s most dangerous streets. Transportation Alternatives’ Brooklyn Activist Committee is hosting this educational walking tour of Atlantic Avenue. Along the route of this group walk, you’ll learn how many Brooklyn communities rely on Atlantic Avenue, and the story of local activists’ fight to change it. Your presence will be a critical show of support for the campaign to rebuild this central thoroughfare.

Wear walking shoes and comfortable clothes. This two and a half mile walk will keep a leisurely pace. Everyone is welcome, but you need to RSVP to attend.

RSVP here: http://my.transalt.org/site/Calendar?id=101561&view=Detail&autologin=true&pw_id=2961
  • Hmm, that sounds really interesting!
  • It is 2 hours long, which might be long enough to witness an accident.
  • edited November 2014
    If you don't want trucks on Atlantic Avenue, this is the only alternative.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/14/nyregion/port-authority-looks-to-19th-century-technology-to-cope-with-a-21st-century-problem.html?_r=0

Is Transportation Alternatives about to pony up $600 million for a freight tunnel?
  • edited November 2014
    @homeowner
    I suspect you misread the article; $600M would only purchase a deluxe float bridge:

"The cost of the five options for expanding the float bridge now under review range from about $100 million to $600 million, the Port Authority estimates. A four-mile-long, underwater tunnel that could accommodate freight trains, and possibly trucks as well, would cost far more — from $7 billion to as much as $11 billion, none of which has yet been arranged."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/14/nyregion/port-authority-looks-to-19th-century-technology-to-cope-with-a-21st-century-problem.html?_r=0

I don't think Transportation Alternatives is going to be able to come up with that kind of $ by charging only $40 for membership and throwing the occasional gala.

http://www.transalt.org/support
  • edited November 2014
    Very interesting idea and seems like a good one.  Quite simple actually, and effective.  Freight trains in Brooklyn...
  • edited November 2014
    Needless to say, you'd still need to have trucks bring the supplies from where ever the train is, to where ever the supplies are actually needed (ie restaurants, supermarkets, Targets, etc)

• The participants of the TA Atlantic Avenue Walking tour:10670149_303986796453980_329969300226395471_n
  • 2014 had the lowest numbers of pedestrian deaths on record.

The Daily News and other entities credit Vision Zero.

http://m.nydailynews.com/new-york/exclusive-pedestrian-traffic-deaths-hit-record-nyc-article-1.2060325
  • edited February 2015
    Vision Zero advocates-
    I am pleased to introduce Den Decker. He seems like a smart man, with good ideas. Involve him in Vision Zero 2.0

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150211/jackson-heights/vision-zero-does-nothing-keep-streets-safe-assemblyman-says

• A reactionary whose time in office is limited.
  • He is a potential supporter.
  • edited February 2015
    I can see that he could be if he runs away from this audit and drops his anti-bicycle agenda. But this audit nonsense is political grandstanding to appeal to the pro-death and dismemberment crowd. Yet he is trying to appear to be a friend to pedestrians while questioning life saving safety measures. 
  • Nothing outs someone who pretends to like you like a big hug.

...that's what the Vision Zero crowd should give him.
  • The Vision Zero master plan for Brooklyn was published today.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/ped-safety-action-plan-brooklyn.pdf

....the city is reshaped.
  • edited March 2015
    A reader should go to this and count how many times the phrase "complete streets" is used: