What To Do If Involved In An Auto Accident - Brooklynian

What To Do If Involved In An Auto Accident

edited August 2014 in The Classifieds

Stop and Notify Police

The law in the state of New York and the city of Brooklyn states that any individual that is involved in an auto accident is required to stop at the scene of the accident after if occurs.  If you can, safely move the automobiles that were involved in the accident to the side of the road to decrease the chances of any further damage or injury.  If the accident caused injuries or significant property damage, it is the law to contact the police.  Dial 911 to notify the police of the accident.

Get Help

If anyone is hurt and requires medical attention, call 911 for help.

Exchange Information

In accordance with New York law, it is vitally important that you remember to exchange insurance information with everyone of the drivers that were involved in the auto accident.  This is a list of all the information you need to make sure to receive from each individual involved in the accident: name, address, phone number, insurance company, policy number, driver license number and license plate number for the driver and the owner of each vehicle. If the driver’s name is different from the name on the insurance card or registration, ask what the relationship is and write down that information.  Provide your same information to each driver.

Witness Information

If you notice witnesses attending the scene, you may attempt to get addresses and phone numbers from them, or note their appearance to point them out to officers when they arrive.

Notify Your Insurance

Contact your insurance company regarding the accident as soon as possible.  They have the right to refuse coverage if you do not contact them at the absolute earliest convenience.

Contact Your Attorney

It is always in your best interest to contact an attorney as soon as possible after an accident has occurred.  An experienced and successful Brooklyn car accident lawyer will be able to successfully handle your case by seeking and recovering the maximum compensation for your full recovery from all your physical and emotional damage. 

Sign In or Register to comment.