Stroud playground renovation - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Stroud playground renovation

The Parks Dept is planning to renovate Stroud Playground which extends from Park PL to Sterling PL bw Washington and Classon Aves (adjacent to PS 316/MS 353). The project will involve capital improvements and a new design. Stroud is one of 6 community parks in Brooklyn that have been identified for an upgrade. Two events are scheduled. One is a celebration (11/24) and the other is a scope meeting (12/8) for the community to share their input and ideas about their playground needs and wants. Sandbox? Big kid swings? 5-story twisty slide into a sandbox of big kid swings? Maybe a climbing wall and parkour obstacle course. See details about the launch and public scope meeting below.

---------------------------

The Community Parks Initiative (CPI) http://www.nycgovparks.org/about/framework-for-an-equitable-future/community-parks-initiative is launching soon at Stroud Playground- and we would like to invite you! Through CPI, NYC Parks is investing more resources- money, staff, recreational programming, and community partnership building- in parks in communities that need it the most. NYC Parks will spend $130 million to rebuild 35 community parks- including 6 parks in Brooklyn.

We would like to invite you to the official CPI Launch in Brooklyn at Stroud Playground on November 24th from 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
This event will be a celebration of the launch of the Community Parks Initiative in Brooklyn and the first round of planned capital improvements.

Two weeks after the launch of CPI, NYC Parks will be holding a public scope meeting for the design of Stroud Playground. We invite community members to attend this scope meeting to provide community input and feedback on local needs and your ideas on Stroud Playground can better serve the neighborhood. The Stroud Playground scope meeting will be on Monday, December 8th from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. at Elijah G. Stroud School (MS 353 / PS 316) 750 Classon Avenue. The school entrance is on Sterling Place between Classon and Washington Avenues.

We hope you can join us! Please also share with your networks. Please RSVP for the CPI launch event to 718-965-8912 and email me at emily.sherrod@parks.nyc.gov mailto:emily.sherrod@parks.nyc.gov to RSVP for the Stroud Playground scope meeting.

For more information on the Community Parks Initiative and the Framework for an Equitable Future, please check out: Framework for an Equitable Future http://www.nycgovparks.org/about/framework-for-an-equitable-future/community-parks-initiative.

Event details:

· Launch of the Community Parks Initiative
Monday, November 24th from 11:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m.
Stroud Playground (Entrance on Park Place between Washington and Classon Avenues)
RSVP to 718-965-8912

· Scope Meeting for Stroud Playground
Monday, December 8th from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Elijah G. Stroud School (MS 353 / PS 316) 750 Classon Avenue (Entrance on Sterling Place between Classon and Washington Avenues)
RSVP to emily.sherrod@parks.nyc.gov mailto:emily.sherrod@parks.nyc.gov or 718-965-6991

Stroud Playground News : NYC Parks http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/stroud-playground/news

Stroud Playground News : NYC Parks http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/stroud-playground/news $130 million investment to re-create 35 parks in communities with greatest need; additional $36.3 million DEP investment to fund green infrastructure improvements

Comments

• Photos of said playground from the web:

• About dang time.  That playground is a mess.  
  • What's so wrong with it? It has playground equipment and trees and that nice padded ground...
  • not sure if youre judging just by the picture, but what you dont see is that the wood is crumbling and exposed where the kids grab/play.  the concrete is breaking apart in the play fountain area and other spots. compare this one to the one in park slope on 5th avenue for example and you'll see the difference.  Not expecting a magical overhaul like they had, as the space just isnt there, but some new and interactive equipment and resurfacing/painting is a big step up.  

• To say nothing of the pot-smoking teens and other surly individuals who hang out there. I enjoyed being pelted by water balloons by said teens as I walked through one recent summer night.
  • The pictures I posted were taken on an unknown date.

I just found them on the web.
  • The unruly and obnoxious teens will always be there. And if they put in a tire swing... They love tire swings. As for the adults who hang out there maybe they will put a gate up and and list the rules. One rule no adults without a child allowed inside is listed on all public playgrounds. Might help to a degree but then I guess they would have the right to be upset that their domino playing area is being taken away.
  • They definitely need a gate...to keep adults sans kids out, and to keep the kids on the inside.
  • When I first saw the notice for this meeting, I thought, "Hmm, sounds like just the kind of formality the gentros need to assuage their guilt for stealing public space from the people who actually use it."  This discussion does nothing to dispel my suspicions.

Look, I don't like broken glass and trash either, and I understand why the playground would make you uncomfortable.  But there's already a kiddie fortress all of one block away, and no equivalent public space (for all the public) closer than Eastern Parkway.

Have you talked to the guys playing dominoes and asked their opinion about what improvements they want?  They certainly spend more time there than anyone else and have earned the right, I would think, to be involved.
  • stealing public space?  gentros?  how bout taking a deep breath.  this playground needs love, and when i've been there, most of the kids were what you'd call "old timers" or whatever, aka neighborhood black kids to be more direct.  all the kids deserve a gated safe place to play.  there's enough space to have a seperate area for the adult tables with built in chess/checkers or whatever to continue playing dominoes.  and i dont think anyone is complaining about domino players, its rowdy teens and older drunk guys that i've seen there.  
  • Bump:

Scope Meeting for Stroud Playground 
    Monday, December 8th from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. 
    Elijah G. Stroud School (MS 353 / PS 316) 750 Classon Avenue 
    (Entrance on Sterling Place between Classon and Washington Avenues) RSVP to emily.sherrod@parks.nyc.gov or 718-965-6991 renovation/p1#sthash.pF4MaOBj.dpuf
  • edited April 2015
    The Parks Dept will soon present the new design for the playground:

May 5, 2015 - 6:00pm
    Sponsored By:
    Brooklyn Community Board 8
    1251 Prospect Place Brooklyn
    NY
    United States
    Description:
    At the May 5 CB8 Parks Committee meeting, designers from the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation will present a detailed layout of a new proposed design for Stroud Playground, located on Park Place between Washington and Classon Avenues. The presentation follows a public scoping meeting held in December where community members gave input regarding local needs.

Stroud Playground is one of six Brooklyn parks being renovated under the Parks Department's Community Parks Initiative.

Open to:
    General public

http://phndc.org/events/community-board-8-parks-committee-meeting
  • This weekend I was there with my 2 kids.  There were about 10 adult guys sitting in the playground smoking a sh.tload of weed.  The sad thing is, one of the women with the men had their daughter there, but all were smoking and cussing up a storm.  The bathroom attendant clearly didnt do anything (I wouldnt expect her to), and neither did I (who'd confront 10 stoned cursing guys?).  This playground needs to be made great for the kids. 
  • I wonder how they will deal with these issues of adults using the park in such a way. They could build a gorgeous playground but if adults smoke weed there all day, not many families will make use of the playgrounds.
  • edited April 2015
    In the now distant past, Underhill Playground used to have such issues.   The trick was for families to be there all day, and to install a gate that is unlocked at approximately 7 AM and locked at approximately 7 PM.    

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/34189/friends-of-underhill-playground-meeting-saturday-august-20/p1

From Day 1 of the playground's reopening, the weed smokers were out numbered by nannies, parents and children.  

• Seconding hambone 

I would be sad if they took the place with benches for adults to sit at out of this playground, installed gates, and made rules about "no adults allowed unless you have a kid."

Why not have a public space everyone can use, including old folks who want to play dominos? 
  • Nothing like bringing my daughter to Stroud at 5pm for a swing and having to stroll her around an old dude smoking pot on a Vaporizer. Checkers and hanging out? Totally awesome! Smoking pot around two-year-olds? Hmm...not so much. Curious to check out how they're going to accommodate the park's past and future. 
  • Well, I think that is just it. Pot and alcohol around kids, not ok. I would ideally like that there is room for everyone but "everyone" often seem to involve drugs. I don't think it is unreasonable that parents dont want drugs in the playground!
  • I don't think so either. Playgrounds are social spaces, and drugs/alcohol are kind of classic antisocial activities. I have no problem with people playing ball or dominoes or just shooting the shit. I do have a problem with intoxication in a nominally 'family' space.
  • Drugs and alcohol are antisocial?  I guess you've never been to a bar.
  • Heh, I thought the same thing. 

I think we all know what crownheightster is getting at though...
  • I was thinking about "antisocial activity" in the vein of ways that social workers classify behaviors that can negatively affect the collective. I guess I should clarify that what I think is antisocial is behavior that is heavily influenced by drugs/alcohol consumption, behavior that would likely not happen WITHOUT the presence of a lot of drugs/alcohol. Like, peeing on the playground at 5pm after a whole day of drinking beers at the playground. Not cool. Having a beer or two while playing dominoes or catching up with friends or enjoying the twilight or gorgeous afternoon? Whatever. I'm not going to call the police. 
  • edited May 2015
    Did anyone make the meeting? What's the scuttlebutt? 

EDIT: Ah, just saw the meeting is pushed back to June. 
  • So this is still just to show the proposed design.  Meaning the final project will not likely be done in time for this summer.  Bummer.  At least something is going to be done, and I hope it's worth the wait.  Underhill playground is a bit crowded, and everyone I know from 'this side' goes there or further, nobody really deals with Stroud and it's antisocial activities ;)
  • Mount Prospect Park playground seems quite popular, and very "family oriented".
  • Out in the nostrand sphere of influence, it's all about Brower Park. But Underhill >Brower>stroud
  • And, east of Nostrand it's ALL Brower Park, with very little funds, if any going to St. Marks Children's Park. And a lot of pot smoking, drinking, noise from children and adults that lasts until 11 pm or later, even on a school day. Good times!
  • Where is St. Mark's Children's Park? 
  • You sound like the Park's Department, crownheightster!  

The St. Mark's Children's Park is on the St. Marks Avenue "Superblock", between Albany and Kingston. 
  • Word is the Parks Dept is postponing their presentation to the community board AGAIN - so they will not be on the agenda tonight.
  • LOL, I wish I could spend my days with the trees and plants!
  • I don't think the folks that have to EVENTUALLY present to CBs, actually get to be with the trees and plants all day.

Instead, I imagine them being like a NYC version of the show Parks and Recreation.

• Let's try this again:

NYC Parks to present plans for renovation of Stroud Playground at CB8 Parks Committee meeting

When: TOMORROW, Tuesday, June 9, 6:00PM
    Where: CNR-Center Light Health Care Center, 727 Classon Avenue (corner of Park Place)

We have announced this presentation twice before only to have it rescheduled, so hopefully the third time will be a charm. Designers from the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation will present a detailed layout of a new proposed design for Stroud Playground, located on Park Place between Washington and Classon Avenues. The presentation will take place at a meeting of the CB8 Parks Committee to be held at CNR tomorrow night, June 9, at 6PM. The design is based upon input collected from the public at a community meeting held in December.
  • Did anyone make it to the meeting? Curious what's in store. 
  • edited June 2015
    Rachel has the scoop:

"The design calls for an asphalt walking track to be built around an
    all-new artificial turf field and two new basketball courts on the east
    side of the green space.The new playground will also include two play areas
    — one for toddlers and another for grade school-aged kids — with
    fountains, water “bubblers” and a handball court. Adult fitness
    equipment and game tables are also slated for the park. 

The renovated playground will also include an "outdoor classroom," with a a
    rain garden that students from the adjacent Elijah Stroud campus, which
    houses M.S. 353 and P.S. 316, can use. The play space will also be
    decorated with new trees and flowers, the plan shows."

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150615/prospect-heights/prospect-heights-playground-redesign-features-track-turf-waterworks
  • thanks for the update -- i'm one of the folks who's enjoyed using the under-used playground for working out these past few years -- part of a small but durable set of folks who do so.

my hope is that there will be some space for adults to exercise along with kid-friendly enhancements -- hard to tell from the plan (or i'm not good at reading them).

• Adult fitness equipment is part of the plans.
  • great to hear -- can you point me to where it says this in the plans?
  • edited November 2015
    I'll point you to Rachel:

"The design calls for an asphalt walking track to be built around an
    all-new artificial turf field and two new basketball courts on the east
    side of the green space.The new playground will also include two play areas
    — one for toddlers and another for grade school-aged kids — with
    fountains, water “bubblers” and a handball court.

--->Adult fitness
    equipment and game tables are also slated for the park. <----

The renovated playground will also include an "outdoor classroom," with a a
    rain garden that students from the adjacent Elijah Stroud campus, which
    houses M.S. 353 and P.S. 316, can use. The play space will also be
    decorated with new trees and flowers, the plan shows."

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20150615/prospect-heights/prospect-heights-playground-redesign-features-track-turf-waterworks
  • edited July 29
    Construction began this week. The playground and basketball courts are closed. An excavator is on site and the guys who play dominos now play at a table they have set up on the sidewalk.extralarge
  • I hope that some of these folks came out to the Community Board meetings when this was being discussed. I was on the board, at that time, and I was at the meetings that took place at CNR (just down the block from Stroud park), St. Johns Recreation Ctr., and the general board meetings (which float, but are posted on the board website). On the day of the CNR meetings, I walked up to the park and asked people who were sitting in the park, at that time, to come to the meeting and represent their concerns about the park, or at least hear what was being proposed. I hope that the folks who have commented prior to this post were there.
  • Once it is finished, I suspect this playground will need an entity far more involved and relevant than the community board to keep it nice, and that one will evolve. Some of the future and present parents of children at the adjacent schools (PS 316 and MS 353) are likely already on the task. Who knows, maybe the teachers will receive awards for how well their new students are achieving compared to their old ones. ...without ever going to a community board mtg.