Bob and Bettys @union street — Brooklynian

Bob and Bettys @union street

Hello everyone. I just an update here for the folks. We put a deposit on store fixtures for the shop and we resume work at the location sometime in febuary for an early spring 2015 opening.

Comments

• Tony-
    Do you plan to make it a clone of Bob and Betty's?

Will there be any differences?

The space is much larger, correct?
  • The space on union will be very different. We will offer growlers of select craft beers, full service deli with hot prepared foods (lasagna, Spanish Rice, rotisserie chicken, etc) and an extensive salad bar. The shop will carry a full line of organic and natural frozen and dairy options along will an expanded line of organic dry goods ( more then what is currently offered @bb805franklin).
    We will also have seating for a limited amount of customers that choose to sit and eat inside along with free wifi.
    We will be moving TP&TB coffee operations to the market and converting that space into a Pet Food & Pet Supply Space offering brands of pet foods that are not available in supermarkets and grocery stores.
    The store opening serves as a turning point for my family. For the past 5 years, my family had a family member who successfully fought and won a battle with cancer.
    I wish everyone great health and success for the new year and many years to come.
    I hope to see everyone once the shop is open and thank you for your continued support.
  • Will your products and price points reach the level of Union Market?

Is there a similar store (in the Slope or elsewhere) around that you can compare it to?

Ms Whynot states that she thinks a version of Sahadi's would work, and wants you to incorporate some of its products.
  • hey Tony that's great news on the store-- and even better for your family.  huge congrats!
  • edited January 2015
    Wow. Awesome.

Glad to hear TP&TB is staying too. Please keep Tabitha (and give her a raise)... she has my morning order memorized. :-)

Best of luck. I'll be a regular at the new spot and spread the word.
  • Fabulous news!
  • Wait, which P&B will be closing? Both?
  • just from this post, sounds like just the one south of ep! hard to tell.
  • edited January 2015
    The southern one will be moved into the large store.

No changes planned for the northern one.
  • Great news! I live south of EP and have been waiting for it to open. And congrats for the family winning the cancer battle.

Sounds like a similar setup to Wholesome on Lincoln and Washington, which would be great!
  • @brooklyneya -
    Do you mean Lincoln Station?
  • edited January 2015
    Flatbush and Lincoln Rd., sorry, not Washington. The Wholesome Gourmet Market on the corner. Looks like a BB, but with a hot food and deli counter and some seating.
  • edited January 2015
    Got it

@iamahmadrabah -

Will your store be comparable to Wholesome, down by the Parkside Q?
  • I'm south of EP and this sounds great but I'm still a little confused of what we are getting and where. Can someone sum it up for me? Thank you in advance!
  • edited February 2015
    South of EP (aka 822 Franklin): The existing location of Pulp and Bean will become a pet food store. The former supermarket space will serve coffee and prepared foods. 

"The space on union will be very different. We will offer growlers of select craft beers, full service deli with hot prepared foods (lasagna, Spanish Rice, rotisserie chicken, etc) and an extensive salad bar. The shop will carry a full line of organic and natural frozen and dairy options along will an expanded line of organic dry goods ( more then what is currently offered @bb805franklin)." 

North of EP (aka 805 Franklin): No changes to the Pulp and Bean located there, or the market.
  • In the huge space next to the Pulp & Bean south of EP (corner of Union and Franklin) we're getting a larger version of Bob and Betty's which will include more options (growlers of craft beer, deli, hot food, salad bar) and the P&B will move inside the market. The current P&B space will then turn into a fancy pet supply shop.

• Whynot beat me to it. :)
  • Ohhhhh - in the old pioneer!?
  • Ohhhhh - in the old pioneer!?
    Yup
  • That's great news all around (especially about beating cancer)!  I'll definitely be patronizing both establishments, as not having to travel to Petco for pet supplies will be quite nice.
  • Excited for all the things! 
  • Where on Union are we talking about exactly?
  • Southwest corner of Union and Franklin.

• edited February 2015
    Photos of back when it was Pioneer 

822 Franklin Avenue
    Crown Heights
  • So, now that it is early February, have neighborhood stalkers witnessed any progress?

Store fixtures being delivered?

Contractors?

• I walk past a few times a day, and haven't seen any new activity yet. I am looking forward to this new store!
  • being this is in my neck of the woods I will commence with stalking :-) 
  • i figured I would take a vacation and visit the folks (Bob & Betty) while I am waiting for the fixtures to come
  • Enjoy your vacation. Feel free to tell them your future store already has stalkers.

• Still planning on an early Spring opening?
  • Still doesn't appear this one has started.  Hope it is still happening.
  • I hope this is happening, too. Would be so convenient to stop by on the way home from the train station.
  • Yeah, same here.  Was really looking forward to it, both because of the B&B, and also because of the pet store that would be in the current P&B space.  Hopefully it's just some weather related delays and they'll start rolling things out shortly.
  • I was a bit disappointed that P&B will move to inside the food store space. I hope it will still be very accessible plus with good seating.
  • Now that it's almost May I figured I'd try to revive this thread to see if there was any update around where things stand. Any update @iamahmadrabah?  Have the fixtures arrived yet?
  • While I am not @iamahmadrabah , I recently peeked into the space and saw no evidence of fixtures.
  • The front door was open and someone was in there doing something when I was on my way to work the other day. It's been a long time since I've seen anyone in there, so I thought it was notable.
  • edited July 2015
    As a result being located in a building owned by Tony and his extended family, this space is not under the same time pressures as it otherwise would be.

If his family is anything like mine, decisions of a financial nature are subject to convoluted processes.

Incurring shared debt and spending shared capital is often tedious and fraught.
  • I asked about the status of this space on twitter and received the following reply: "@mcsiegel I will let you know sometime in the near future. We are in exploring all options right now."

It looks like they're back to considering all options for the space, so I'm not sure what this means in terms of the plans Tony previously alluded to.
  • The space will become more valuable once Sea Crest, the BBG garage, and the Sea Crest garage and Tivoli all fill with tenants.

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44634/links-to-the-big-16-developments-in-western-crown-heights/p1

• Saw some activity here today.  Doors were open and things were getting moved around... 
This discussion has been closed.