In a logical next step, Parkside Plaza gets a green market — Brooklynian

In a logical next step, Parkside Plaza gets a green market

Comments

• exciting! here's a list of the stuff that will be sold. 

p.s. i wish we could apply a post to different neighborhood categories. this is of much bigger interest to flatbush than it is to crown heights. it being just barely on the southwestern edge of PLG
  • edited July 2015
    I'll stop by one Sunday.

I'm in Crown Heights, but barely. It'd be a quick ride there for me - one stop on the Q or on the B41 Limited.

Race Farm also comes to Union Square on Mondays. I think Bakers Bounty is at GAP on Saturdays.
  • I do hope the one at GAP becomes slightly less crowded as a result of these alternatives.
  • i hope it does too. the GAP farmer's market is not really walking distance for me. i've run there before, but i have no desire to do that these days in 90+ degree weather, and the 2 train/B41 is a real drag on the weekends. this one's only a 5 minute walk from my apartment! unfortunately, it seems quite small still.
  • Next logical step: coffee south of winthrop?
  • I haven't been south of Winthrop in a while, but perhaps some of the coffeeshops that are priced out of Crown Heights will reappear down there.

• Interesting how businesses open in clusters, competing with each other. Near the Prospect Park Q you have half a dozen coffee options, but one stop further and there are none except Blessings, not particularly on the way to anything if you are coming from further south. 
    If a business migrated, it would have a monopoly from Winthrop south to Brooklyn College and beyond. Actually there is nothing around the Parkside Q, Church Q, Winthrop 2/5, Church 2/5, and points further south on the 2/5. 
    I do love Nostrand Donut though. 
  • edited July 2015
    Some of the small business owners I know state that they would love an environment in which there are few competitors, but simultaneously spend all their time relishing how they are going to beat their opponents.

Aka "Win The Game"

As a result, it is hard for me to believe that they do not move into a neighborhood to beat the competition, AND make money.

....hence, they may not be attracted to a neighorhood that does only provides half of this thrill.

more coverage of the new farmers market: http://theqatparkside.blogspot.com/2015/07/farmers-market-turnip-volume.html
  • Interesting how businesses open in clusters, competing with each other. Near the Prospect Park Q you have half a dozen coffee options, but one stop further and there are none except Blessings, not particularly on the way to anything if you are coming from further south. 
    If a business migrated, it would have a monopoly from Winthrop south to Brooklyn College and beyond. Actually there is nothing around the Parkside Q, Church Q, Winthrop 2/5, Church 2/5, and points further south on the 2/5. 
    I do love Nostrand Donut though. 
    yeah it's pretty nuts there isn't a single coffee shop to serve, say, the immediate area around the parkside ave/ocean ave entrance to the park. what with all the train, park, and ocean ave traffic it would be an ideal nexus for something like that. i went to blessings on saturday and stood in a crazy long line and could only think about the fact another coffee shop south of winthrop would make out like bandits, even if they stuck to just coffee and some snacks (and not full brunch like blessings.

i love me some nostrand donut coffee, but it's not exactly an americano, alas
  • I stopped by today after I had walked through the block party on Flatbush. It's small...probably about the size of the market on Courtelyou on Sundays.

I asked the market manager if compost drop-off will be made available at this site. He said no, because the company that provides that service doesn't have the capacity to serve this market.
  • I agree with RudolfAhrens. I've been saying that for years. I think businesses are too afraid to make that leap to the be the first in an area, even though I think that gives them a huge advantage. They think there aren't enough customers to support it. Low rents, monopoly, loyalty...much better chances of succeeding in my opinion.
  • I agree with RudolfAhrens. I've been saying that for years. I think businesses are too afraid to make that leap to the be the first in an area, even though I think that gives them a huge advantage. They think there aren't enough customers to support it.
    This is a legit fear. See what happened to Mountain on Franklin Avenue below Eastern Parkway.
  • Looks like the logical next step is...
    another bar. 

• edited August 2015
    As I said on the Mountian discussion, I don't think they didn't do well because of their location. I don't think they would have done well north of EP either, certainly not well enough to make up for the increased rent. Several new businesses have opened up in PLG and east of Franklin and are doing well, even though there isn't/wasn't anything else around it. The businesses themselves were enough of an attraction. Mountain was too expensive, was trying to do too much without doing any one thing well enough, and didn't have a great vibe to hang out in. If Manhattanville, Midwood Flats, Catfish, Bluebird or Blessings opened in the Mountain space, I think they would have done fine.
This discussion has been closed.