252 Albany Ave. NW Corner of Sterling Place - Brooklynian

252 Albany Ave. NW Corner of Sterling Place

A little bird told me that this is going to be an artisan bakery.  Anyone else hear anything?

Comments

• edited August 2015
    I went for a walk this afternoon...

IMG_7142
    IMG_7143
    IMG_7144
  • edited August 2015
    imageBefore renovation shot:

• @whynot_31 - Can you add this address to your list of places you look at for purposes of food related inspections?

I heard some rumors that I just haven't been able to confirm yet.  This place may turn out to be something interesting.
  • I have not seen any DOH requests yet but, will add that the entire building has now been gut renovated.

I suspect that the building owner is also going to operate the storefront.

So, we are looking at a project done by someone with significant resources. They have a plan.
  • edited February 2016

Rachel wrote a piece

"CROWN HEIGHTS — A new kosher bakery is coming to the neighborhood this summer, bringing “finer baked goods” to a renovated Albany Avenue storefront, its owner said.

Daniel Branover, a Crown Heights local and the proprietor of the popular Kingston Avenue kosher restaurant Basil, said he’s aiming to bring high-quality, “modern” breads and pastries to the new spot, named “Bakerie.”

“We want to create an experience,” he said of the new eatery located on the corner of Albany Avenue and Sterling Place, set to open in June or July.

Bakerie is set to be more like a marketplace than a coffee or sandwich shop, he said, with a selection of large bread loaves for about $7 or $8 dollars each, assorted pastries and baguettes, a handful of prepared sandwiches (made with the bakery’s bread at Basil, three blocks away) and flavored butters and jams.

When asked to describe the shop, Branover was quick to say what it’s not.

“I hate using the word artisanal,” he said, adding later that he’s not a “foodie,” but someone who “appreciates good food.”

“We’re talking about integrity. No preservatives … finer baked goods. No specific style — a little bit French, a little bit Italian — but very modern breads,” he said.

Branover, a native of Israel who works full time in energy management and had never run a restaurant before opening Basil in 2010, said he has two goals in mind for the new bakery: elevating what people expect from kosher food and bringing together what he calls “a big divide” between those who eat kosher and those who don’t.

“They don’t mingle too much and why, really, not?” he asked. “What better way than to break bread?”

At the same time he’s preparing to open Bakerie, Branover is also renovating a second space on Kingston Avenue to become “Meat,” a restaurant serving exactly what the name suggests, all kosher prepared. He said that location will open sometime this summer.

Bakerie is located at 252 Albany Ave. in Crown Heights."

extralarge
  • While I find it very pricey, his restaurant Basil seems to attract enough "Kosher and non Kosher" customers to stay in business.

...I am interested in seeing if Albany Avenue will work as a location.

It isn't Kingston Ave.

• I think that this bakery will be a huge attraction to the increasing numbers of Orthodox Jews who are settling east of Albany Ave. There are a lot of people who want to be near the religious infrastructure of the Chabadniks, but a bit further away so that they don't have to live in the ultra-religious bubble. This kind of business will be a big win for this specific population. Plus, hipsters who love pastries.
  • Wow, those comments! 

I've eaten at Basil exactly once (because it's too pricey for what it is and because I'm not kosher, so I happen to prefer meat and cheese on my pizza at the same time), but I loved that it was a kosher place that was welcoming to all and that the hubby and I could sit at a table and enjoy some brief chit chat with the Orthodox couple at the next table whom we would otherwise never interact with. And also, the place is beautiful, as I expect Bakerie will be. 

Eight bucks for a loaf of bread is also too pricey, but I'm sure I'll pop in now and then to see what pastries they've got. And there are two brand-new modern rental buildings on Albany just a block away from this, so I'm sure it'll be an attraction to more than just the increasing numbers of Orthodox Jews.  
    Even the target audience seems to find fault with this guy's plan...

http://crownheights.info/crown-heights-news/523988/basil-owner-to-open-bakerie-in-add/

• edited February 2016

Operating a "open to all" kosher place seems to have formidable challenges.

-Some Lubavitch members moved to Crown Heights in order to be part of an ethnic and religious enclave.   They may not desire to mix with non adherents, or patronize an establishment that makes the enclave less distinct.  

-The prices and selection do not closely match the means and preferences of many non Kosher people, such as myself and @nothinlikeabklyngirl.

It seems the article written about Basil when it first opened is still on mark.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/10/magazine/10Kosher-t.html?_r=0 

• That is precisely my issue...as a person without the dietary restrictions of an orthodox jewish person, I can't really justify paying $15 for a personal pizza, $14 for a burger without cheese or $8 for a loaf of bread.  

However, it is located close to my residence so I will probably pop in and give it a try...who knows, if they do combo sandwiches with the "meat" place (dairy omitted, naturally), it could fill a certain niche need for the area.
  • edited February 2016

Despite such concerns, the proprietor has managed to keep Basil afloat.    I suspect it is due (in part) to some Lubavitchers wanting to distance themselves from ones that share the strict views of this writer:

"14. Vilna gaon wrote:

Nobody has a problem with a good Kosher eatery, or for a fellow jew to make a good living.
    The issue here is , if his intention for these establishments is to have jews and non jews eating together – which he keeps on saying in each interview – then that is exactly why our great rabbis forbid us from eating Chalav akum and Pas akum, so as not to break bread with non jews."

http://crownheights.info/crown-heights-news/523988/basil-owner-to-open-bakerie-in-add/

• edited December 2016
    They were interviewing back in Nov:  https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/csr/5877589972.html

I have heard that they have not opened yet, but will once they get the necessary permits.  
  • whynot_31 said:

Despite such concerns, the proprietor has managed to keep Basil afloat.    I suspect it is due (in part) to some Lubavitchers wanting to distance themselves from ones that share the strict views of this writer:

you also have kosher observers from all over the tri-state area traveling to brooklyn, especially Crown Heights  (basil, boef and bun, izzy's) for dinner. Not to mention kosher tourists who visit New York City. "Foodie" is permeating the kosher community with Chabad Lubavitch at the forefront. 
  • I suspect the restaurant coming to Nostrand and Crown "Alenbi" will have a similar model: It will cater to Lubavitch foodies, while welcoming others.

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/47348/el-dorado-restaurant-on-nostrand-will-be-replaced-by-alenbi#latest

I believe it will be the only Kosher place on that section of Nostrand, and this the only kosher bakery on Albany north of EP.