The Future of Public Housing in New York, October 2nd - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Future of Public Housing in New York, October 2nd

Planners Network NYC Presents: The Future of Public Housing in New York

Friday, October 2, 6:00-8:00 pm
The Murphy Institute
25 West 43rd Street, New York, New York
18th Floor, Room 18 A (use elevators 5, 6, or 7)

With the New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) faced with years of federal, state and city funding cuts and a growing deficits, the DeBlasio administration released the NextGeneration NYCHA plan in May 2015. The plan calls for ways to increase operating and capital funds, improve housing maintenance and lease parcels of underutilized land in public housing to developers who would build housing. Management reforms, infill development, increased rents and fees, and contributions from the state and city budget will move the agency towards solvency. In addition, "scattered-site” developments will be transferred to community-based nonprofits, and new private owners and financing will be sought for some "distressed" developments.

How has NextGen NYCHA been received by public housing residents and community organizations? What role, if any*, will tenants and surrounding communities play in the planning decisions engendered by the plan? The fear of privatization looms, as do the concerns about the levels of affordability, and echoes from criticism of Bloomberg’s infill plan remain. Join PN NY for a discussion to hear from progressive planners and people impacted by the plan who will discuss whether there’s room to be optimistic about the future of public housing in NYC.

Confirmed speakers:

-Vic Bach, Community Service Society

-Mo George, Community Voices Heard

-Damaris Reyes, Good Ole Lower East Side

-Michael Higgins, Families United for Racial and Economic Equality

Comments

• I may have heard of this panel discussion. I also heard of at least one other that would be up your alley, @whynot_31.
  • I am kind of worried about this one in that I mostly associate Good Ole Lower East Side (GOLES) and Families United for Racial Economic Equality (FUREE) as having very little economic analysis.

I'd like to hear from somoene at NYCHA that can explain how they have to raise money from developers to keep anyone housed.   ....the feds and the state are not coming to the rescue.

Let's prevent NYCHA from becoming worse...