850 Franklin Ave - Brooklynian

850 Franklin Ave

This place seems slated to become a Crown Fried Chicken location.   Construction is underway.

Comments

• edited February 2016
    Yeah, I was going to add on to that thread, but I was too irritated just thinking about it. A 24 hour takeout chicken place is pretty much the last thing I wanted to live above, especially when that area by the old Crown Fried Chicken was where my wife would regularly encounter racist comments and be threatened with rape and murder. This block was rather quiet though, which was my only consolation. Now she'll have to deal with drunken catcallers loitering outside the building and threatening her late at night. Good times.
  • I suspect most of their business will come from the nearby high schools, while I am at work.

Mmmm chicken.
  • That part won't be all that different from now, with Crown Fried Chicken cutting into the Chinese restaurant's chicken sales. I wouldn't have a problem with it if it wasn't open 24 hours. In my experience places where people tend to congregate at three or four in the morning are not places you really want to be.
  • edited February 2016
  • About a block away, we lost a CFC when Butter and Scotch opened. So, this new one will merely be a replacement
  • So sorry for you, mcpoet.
  • Relatively speaking, I don't think it's that terrible. Much better than the traditional red Crown Fried Chicken places. I thought the "coffee shop" was funny and the choice of foods listed was interesting, but maybe they're actually going for something different and slightly more sophisticated.
  • So sorry for you, mcpoet.

Thanks, my biggest concern is really just the hours of operation. If it's open all night on weekends then all the drunk people from all the new and coming bars will stumble here for food, and places where groups of drunken people tend to congregate late at night tend to be where bad things happen. I'd love to be wrong, but at the very least I'm decidedly wary.
  • mcpoet said:
    So sorry for you, mcpoet.
    Thanks, my biggest concern is really just the hours of operation. If it's open all night on weekends then all the drunk people from all the new and coming bars will stumble here for food, and places where groups of drunken people tend to congregate late at night tend to be where bad things happen. I'd love to be wrong, but at the very least I'm decidedly wary.
    I only noticed the signage this past week. I'm a little surprised that's what going there. The neighborhood hasn't changed over sufficiently yet.

Why would you think it'd be open 24 hours?

• mcpoet said:

So sorry for you, mcpoet.

I only noticed the signage this past week. I'm a little surprised that's what going there. The neighborhood hasn't changed over sufficiently yet.

Why would you think it'd be open 24 hours?

Not 24 hours, generally they're open until somewhere between three and six AM on weekends and past midnight on weeknights. Others are open until 3 am every night. Regardless of the specifics, their general business model seems to be too cater to the late night crowd and we all know that 3 am-4 am are prime hours for shootings and violent altercations. The head of the local police precinct was just talking about how bar adjacent violence is one of the burgeoning problems in the area. The combination of bars and one clearly identified go to late night food option means people will end up congregating outside, much like people did outside the old location late at night. Leaving aside the potential for violence, the noise alone is problematic insofar as the walls are paper thin in this building since they gutted it. My preference would be any business that isn't open past midnight. I expect noise living in NYC, but when it starts to impact your ability to sleep that can significantly undermine your overall quality of life.
  • I'm kind of surprised this place is not open yet.    I suspect they are still waiting for the go ahead from DOH.
  • whynot_31 said:
    I'm kind of surprised this place is not open yet.    I suspect they are still waiting for the go ahead from DOH.
    I'm quite alright with that. Ideally they'll permanently forget to open it.
  • edited September 2016
    Appears ready to open within 2 weeks.

Some tiling work being done today.
  • While I'd like to see some more diversification in terms of cuisine in the area, I do love Crown Fried Chicken! 
  • Around 4pm I've seen young adults literally standing on tables of the Chinese place next door being really loud and having a lot of fun.  I wonder if this place will have a similar vibe.
  • I think most CFC's consider investing in tables strong enough to support young adults to be a wise move.
  • In the couple months this place has been open it's been pretty much what I expected. Lots of screaming teenagers congregating in and around it during the day, with intermittent fights, and then a magnet for loud and obnoxious people looking for a place to congregate around late at night. Plus the vents aren't properly installed so everything reeks of chicken. On the bright side, there haven't been any shootings there yet, so at least there's that.
  • Their fries are awesome though. Maybe they'll make you feel better about it's existence. :)

I walk past it daily and it seems fine most of the time, but I'm usually back after the students get out of school and miss that rush.
  • If nothing else, it prevents my management company from demolishing the building, so at least there's that.
  • The high schools are not going anywhere, so it is a good spot for a CFC.