Eastern Parkway Mall path re-seeding and cleanup - Brooklynian

Eastern Parkway Mall path re-seeding and cleanup

I live along Eastern Parkway, and over the years I've lived here, it seems the grass keeps getting thinner and thinner along the mall paths. I recently contacted the Parks Department about it, and they said they are going to be re-seeding in the coming weeks. They've definitely stepped up the garbage collectors, as I see them almost every morning as I walk my dog, picking up trash along the pathways. Perhaps this is step 1, just prior to re-seeding? Yet, I can't find any other info online about the efforts. Does anyone know of any community effort to keep the Eastern Parkway paths looking nicer? I asked the Parks Department what I could do to help. And I got no response. I'd happily spread seed and water. Seems like it'd be a huge bonus to involve community members. But it's apparently hard to get in touch with someone about it.

There also seems to be an increase of dog owners not picking up after their dogs. On my block, there are always no less than 10 piles in the grass as well as on the sidewalk/mall path. Does anyone have suggestions about what could be done to help "curb" this problem? The city installed baskets on the ends of the blocks that are supposed to hold dog bags. I guess that was their solution. But people (A) don't use doggie bags, (B) don't care, (C) think the city-installed bag holders are trash bins. I also talked to someone at the parks service who said the city has "Curb your dog" signs, but I have no clue who to contact or how to get them installed along Eastern Parkway. Granted, signs aren't necessarily going to do anything for those people who just don't care about picking up after their dog or themselves. But wouldn't it help at least a bit? I'm not sure how much people are actually caught in the act and fined for not picking up after their dogs. Does anyone know how a resident might help out, to try to keep the neighborhood cleaner? Or if there are already groups in place that one could join?

Comments

• edited April 2016

I blame it on increasing density of all users:   People walking to the train, people walking for recreation, people walking their dogs, joggers, bikers, delivery bikers, etc.

Astroturf might be able to survive the onslaught.     

• That's so true. And now that you mention it, I can totally see that the grass is probably being worn by people crossing from the E.P. mall path to their cars/apartments and vice versa. Not so sure about astroturf, though. That would give a whole new meaning to the "mall". What about pavers or stepping stones connecting the mall to the service road in the middle of the block? Totally makes sense. Though I can't see the city spending money on something like that. But psychologically, something like that would probably steer people from crossing in the grass so much. They'd still have to watch where they step, though.
  • edited April 2016

If you accompanied the "middle of the block pavers" with a crosswalk and a stop sign for the service road traffic, you might get some more grass to grow.

...but overall, I am not real optimistic that grass will be able to survive.

• Call sanitation about the Curb Your Dog signs. I believe that they are responsible for posting them. 
  • Maybe try contacting Maeri Ferguson in Parks? Maeri.Ferguson@parks.nyc.gov
  • Maybe get a few people together and apply for the parks department to do some plantings?

• Does anyone know if the Parks Dept just decided to give up on this effort? Some blocks were fenced and seeded (I think), and others left alone. There are large stretches of bare dirt ground still. And now, it's all going to get trampled anyway on Labor Day weekend at the parade. So... anyone hear first hand what is going on with the seeding effort? Being a resident on E.P., I've contacted the Parks Department about volunteering to help and I just get the runaround. Of course, they also seemed to wait too long into summer for anything to actually prosper.
  • Call and email the prospect park alliance...i believe they are in charge of the EP malls. ERNA is a good contact person...ehusbands@prospectpark.org 17189658951
  • If anyone does get in contact with anyone who knows anything, I'd love to hear what you learned. I am sad because I have noticed that a bunch more trees are getting cut down along the Eastern Parkway malls. 
  • Yep, I noticed the same thing this past weekend. Though, granted, those trees were quite dead. It's probably preventative maintenance so nobody gets hurt by falling limbs. Especially during the upcoming parade festivities. But the E.P. malls seem to have fallen beyond a state of disrepair. It's sad, since I remember them being so beautiful when I moved in 7 years ago. But I might have also been looking through rose colored glasses at the time.
  • R.I.P., grass. I wish I could say it was nice while it lasted...
  • In case anyone is wondering why the trash barrels are disappearing from the Eastern Parkway Malls...

• I had noticed that I needed to carry my dog's poop further.
  • I understand that these baskets can be used for illegal dumping, but does the parks department think that the pigs who do this or the ones who don't pick up after their dogs will suddenly stop dumping or will start picking up after their pets and carry the crap back home?
    The transit system tried removing trash cans from selected stations for the same reason (more or less) .. and they've quietly put the trash cans back because it was a failed experiment. Pigs will be pigs.

• If the trash cans are always gone, they won't have to remove them before big events for terrorism prevention.

• edited April 16
    Now I have bags of dog poop (and non-bagged poop), plus food and other illegal dumping of trash sitting around the trees on my block of Eastern Parkway. All we can do is keep filing 311 complaints. If everyone does that, they might realize this isn't a solution.

Plus, don't get caught throwing your dog poop bags in a city trash can. That's also not allowed, FYI, as I was informed by the city.
  • Call sanitation team supervisor Mon-Fri for our area directly at 7187567027 & 7187567028 and forcefully explain the situation. Keep calling and requesting until they give us back these simple items for keeping our nabe clean. I have done this several times for diffetent issues and it has been effective. You may also need to call the parks dept directly as they may handle the ep malls.
  • When the MTA did this experiment with subway stations, their goal was for us to bring our trash with us to the surface.

Where do they believe people are going to bring their/our soda cups, take out containers and bags of dog poop?

To the private trash cans of neighbors?
    That will not be appreciated.

To the few public cans that remain?
    ...these will overflow.

Are we being forced to form a residential version of a BID?
  • I've been in contact with the Parks Dept. and Sanitation. They are both saying the same thing... "strategically placed trash barrels". It sounds to me like it's more of a money issue, where the city doesn't want to pay for so many trash pickups along Eastern Parkway... especially if people are illegally dumping household trash and making more work for them.

The Parks Dept came by and did a sweep of my block the other day, putting garbage into black trash bags (probably because the Baptist Church requested it, as they have major influence, and they didn't want the unsightly trash in front of their church for Easter). And those trash bags have been sitting on the corner, accumulating more of people's discarded trash because there's no place else to put it. I guess the sanitation truck will be by at some point next week to pick it up?

I think the bottom line is that if we want them to hear us, we need more people to complain about this poor strategy.
  • whynot_31 said:
    When the MTA did this experiment with subway stations, their goal was for us to bring our trash with us to the surface. Where do they believe people are going to bring their/our soda cups, take out containers and bags of dog poop? To the private trash cans of neighbors? That will not be appreciated. To the few public cans that remain? ...these will overflow. Are we being forced to form a residential version of a BID?
    Basically, yes. I suspect my immediate neighbors in the enclave just south of Empire Boulevard may be able to do that. 

• edited 2:29PM
    Now I have bags of dog poop (and non-bagged poop), plus food and other illegal dumping of trash sitting around the trees on my block of Eastern Parkway. All we can do is keep filing 311 complaints. If everyone does that, they might realize this isn't a solution.

Plus, don't get caught throwing your dog poop bags in a city trash can. That's also not allowed, FYI, as I was informed by the city.

I'm shocked someone was actually caught doing something with dog poop that is against the rules (although that rule seems odd) and that the city actually said something about it.
  • Interesting if a church was irritated by trash. Walk along Rogers and you'll see every variety of storefront church has garbage strewn about and no one seems to mind (mind = do something about it)
  • The First Baptist Church on the southwest corner of Eastern Parkway and Rogers Ave isn't just any church.