A Trump Presidency -Your Thoughts - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Trump Presidency -Your Thoughts

MODMOD
edited November 2016 in Brooklyn Politics
I'm reviving our old Politics board!

So let it all out, Pro or Anti-Trump, whatever may be on your mind. Let's talk 'Merica! Memes, videos, comics etc.. welcome!

Comments

• I think the point here is all the academics, elites, media and liberals forgot that there's more people who aren't academics, elites, media or liberal. I won't say how I voted but our choice was between an idiot and a criminal. You decide who's who.
  • The two sides are so insulated that I think your point about forgetting the scale of the opposition is valid.  I heard so many people from both sides say that the polling must be totally wrong or even that the election was rigged because everyone in their Facebook feed was a Trump/Hillary supporter (depending on which side of the fence they were on).  Pretty faulty logic... 
  • Funny how people can look at the same thing and see different results or causes. I saw an election where Rural people and City people (Generally) were on two ends of the spectrum. I also think you must somehow figure people who have draft age children would not vote for someone who advocates war as a solution to all our international problems. The election is over. Hillary won the popular vote but Trump won the electoral college. That is what is the deciding factor. Despite me not favoring President Elect Trump, for the good of the Country I hope his term of office is successful.
  • edited November 2016
    I think the point here is all the academics, elites, media and liberals forgot that there's more people who aren't academics, elites, media or liberal. I won't say how I voted but our choice was between an idiot and a criminal. You decide who's who.
    Welcome to life as a minority in this society.
  • @Oldergoat----Hillary did not win the popular vote. I saw this morning that when Arizona was finally included Trump won as well as added 12 more electoral votes. As for rural against city that didn't pan out either as much of Michigan and Pennsylvania which are not considered rural but maybe more "blue collar" went for Trump. And let's not forget states like Florida and Texas. I live on Long Island and the breakdown map of who voted for who showed that much of the middle class or former middle class voted Trump while the richest areas such as the Hamptons voted overwhelmingly for Hillary.
  • @Oldergoat----Hillary did not win the popular vote. I saw this morning that when Arizona was finally included Trump won as well as added 12 more electoral votes. As for rural against city that didn't pan out either as much of Michigan and Pennsylvania which are not considered rural but maybe more "blue collar" went for Trump. And let's not forget states like Florida and Texas. I live on Long Island and the breakdown map of who voted for who showed that much of the middle class or former middle class voted Trump while the richest areas such as the Hamptons voted overwhelmingly for Hillary.
    Apparently this report that Trump would now take the popular vote was a mistake on CNN's part.  Even Fox News' coverage of Trump officially taking Arizona makes no mention of this affecting her higher popular vote total.  
  • Whether we like it or not, the Electoral College "trumps" the popular vote.

These rules are not new. Hillary and Trump both seemed to have known and played by the rules.

Hillary simply did not win.
    Wait a minute...
    Re: Pennsylvania -Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are among its largest cities. Those went blue. With the exception of a few counties, the rest of the state went Republican.
  • whynot_31 said:
    Whether we like it or not, the Electoral College "trumps" the popular vote. These rules are not new. Hillary and Trump both seemed to have known and played by the rules. Hillary simply did not win.
    Agreed.  The rules are the rules.  They can be changed though.  Just not after the fact. Taking a look at them before the next go-round could be a good idea.  

Both the primary and final election structures really need to be looked at.  Super Delegates, interminable election timeframes, unlimited funds from sketchy sources and the electoral college are just a few possible topics.  
  • Hey, better keep up on the latest. Not only did Hillary win the popular vote, she won it by close to 400,000. Again, only the electoral college vote counts so that is that
  • Latest popular vote totals. Hillary 60467601 Trump 60072551. That is almost 400,000 difference as I stated yesterday. Again, only the Electoral College vote counts and Trump won that.
  • I think the point here is all the academics, elites, media and liberals forgot that there's more people who aren't academics, elites, media or liberal. I won't say how I voted but our choice was between an idiot and a criminal. You decide who's who.

I heard someone say a, "it was a choice between creep and crook, and the nation chose creep."
    The alliteration has a nice ring, don't you think?
  • Now President-elect Trump wasn't my first, second, third, fourth, or fifth choice in the GOP primaries (heck, in some ways, it was a contest of who among him or Ted Cruz that I supported the least). But, once the general rolled around and it became clear that both Trump and Hillary would be the major party nominees, it became relative easy for me to vote for Mr. Trump over HRC. And (and I'll be happy to go into detail on this point), for all of the criticism thrown Trump's way in terms of things he's said in the past, I have a whole list of things which should make HRC just as unpalatable to those who bring up this point (of course, it almost never does, as many seem to be more than willing to attack on one end but look the other way on other the other end). 
  • 11-8 is a day that will live in infamy.
  • As a Non-Trump Supporter I will say that Trump won the Electoral collage  and he will be inaugurated President in January. I still stick by my remarks on the Popular vote and the rural/city break down!
  • The final count approaches and Hillary's margin is over one million.  She "lost" Wisconisn by 23,000 votes but that's because well over 100,000 were denied voting ballots due to state politics.

Oh well ...
    Most adults in the US do not have a college (i.e. four-year) degree. I believe the figures I saw put the percentage at less than a 1/3. The percentage of adults with a graduate degree is even smaller. 

That said, not everyone who has a college degree is an academic. However, the point is more about the number of people who have more (formal) education vs. those who have less. 
  • But those who have college degrees don't necessarily have common sense. So, some people use their own servers when they shouldn't  and some people say the world's dumbest things. Sometimes critical thinking is something one forgets about and that's when stuff happens.
  • Theoretically colleges should be encouraging and/or teaching critical thinking. They should know to how to back up an assertion with facts and which sources tend to be more reliable.
  • Trump's plurality margin is at a minus two million.  That's how deMOCKracy works.

I would rather have Benedict Arnold as the Patron Saint of Brooklyn and Shirley Chisholm in the White House but this is what we are stuck with.  
  • edited November 2016
    Hillary won the popular vote by way over 1 million and the count isn't finished yet. I'm sick to death of hearing the conservative rhetoric about her emails and that she is a crook. Misogynistic old white men who don't want to or just DON'T pay taxes are crooks! The most ill prepared inexperienced candidate was elected because of our ridiculous electorial college system.

Twitter is not NEWS. Pay for your content or just fact check... also social media is not news! I recognize critical thinking is a learned skill. The people who will suffer most with this president are the ones who wanted jobs and voted based on false promises. Build a wall, HA!

None of you are outraged by Trump and his newly selected cabinet???
    I'm absolutely horrified. At one point we thought he was a joke. Now we have white supremacists coming out to celebrate Trump's election. White nationalist held their convention last night in DC praising their victory in the White House. I'm done. There's no silver lining. No olive branch. I will not attempt to see what good Trump "might do".

I'm white. I'm female, queer, jewish and I have a son who is 1.5 years old. I have plenty of privileges, none that I take lightly. Everyday I think about how lucky I've been to live a life free from what my grandmother and her family endured in Poland during WWII. Our freedoms have to be safeguarded.

If any of you want to do something PM me. This is not the time to idle and waiting to see what will happen.

• @burningorange - Twitter isn't news, but occasionally it can break some news stories before the mainstream media does. That said, I'd rather wait for a mainstream media outlet to pick up on a story too.
  • Life in America under Trump:

• We should all discuss this over a drink at Sharlene's bar at Festivus! This Thursday at 6:30p. Everyone is welcome, spread the word.
  • Trump (the word is the British equivalent of ''fart'')  wins the White House by a minus 3 million.

Such is life.
  • Dare I bump this? I dare. Really curious what previous participants in this thread are thinking now. And new people too, of course :)
  • Um, no one is complaining about gridlock anymore.