Dog owner arrested (falsely) in Brower Park - Brooklynian

Dog owner arrested (falsely) in Brower Park

Evidently this happened earlier this summer, but it's just making a ripple now.

Comments

• edited January 17
    Articles like this are frequently released/arranged by the plaintiff's attorney.

If the NYPD can show that there was an open warrant in the system, they might be able convince the judge or jury that they were following procedure re: arresting him vs summons.

The comments from the officer would then be viewed as a distinct matter.

• I know this guy AND his dog.  He is a stand up guy. Nobody is more reasonable and easy to get along with.  As much as I am pro police, there are always a few jerks that make it hard on everyone.  
  • I am a dog owner (and white), and was nearly arrested for walking my dog in the park after dark. Police aren't being jerks in this situation. It is procedure to arrest anyone who can't produce identification. I forgot my wallet at home. They told me they had to arrest me because I didn't have ID (and hence they can't look you up on their computer). Luckily, I had my phone on me, and remembered that I had a copy of my driver's license on it. Now, I have a IDNYC, and keep it in my jacket pocket. I agree that it's stupid and often excessive to arrest someone just because they don't have ID. But it is police procedure.
  • In the past two years, I remember that a dog walker who was afro-am was accosted by the police even after he had produced ID. This man made his case that the police on more than one occasion had singled him out, while he was in the park at the allowed times. Mech_W makes a case that the law is being evenly applied; I don't think that it is. But both his and my statements are anecdotal. What needs to be examined are the police incident reports and officers' personal logbooks. Then, maybe a fair assessment can be made of the type of policing that is taking place within the 77th Pct.

• In this instance, it appears the man was arrested because he produced ID, yet had an open warrant stemming from a old violation.

The violation had been cleared, yet was not removed from the database. If he is correct, the error would seem to be by the database maintainers and not the cop.

(The cops comments post arrest are troublesome, but someone else can discuss them)
  • edited January 19
    The article clearly states he left his ID at home. That's mainly the reason for my post. Not sure if some details are left out about how the police confirmed his name and prior record. And I do agree the police seem to have been acting out of line after the arrest. My comment was only in response to what the article was reporting regarding the reason for the initial arrest in the park. And possibly to help inform anyone else who is out walking their dog in parks after dark or anywhere they might be stopped by police. I'm not saying there isn't racism or profiling going on. Bklyn50, it's hard to know the exact circumstances as to why the person you mentioned was singled out or "accosted" as you say. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but who is to say why he was stopped initially. It may or may not have been racial profiling. I see lots of dog walkers doing illegal things in the middle of the day.

Cops have extremely difficult and dangerous jobs. And often times they have to react to a situation in a matter of seconds to determine the best course of action. And granted, that decision in hindsight is not always the best one. But that's easier to judge without the situation playing out in front of you.

All I'm really saying is, if you don't pick up your dog's poop, and a cop sees you, and asks for ID and you don't have it, you can be arrested.
  • I would be interested in seeing how often violations that were dismissed, still show as being open.

Unless the effected person comes in contact with the police (or applies for a new job or credit), they would never know that there is an open warrant for them.