CitiBike Finally Arrives - Brooklynian

Comments

• While I support citibike as a general matter, I'm not pleased by the number of parking spots this plan threatens to take up. Parking in the area is already bad enough. The only street locations I feel citibikes should go are at bus stops (I've seen such setups before and they seem to work pretty well). 
  • Free street parking seems to be going extinct.

Many people are deciding not to own a car, paying for garage parking, or renting cars as they need them.
  • Does anyone think having a citibike dock added in front of your building effects property value?

• If I owned a mid size building (12 units), I might be able to rent units out for a little more as a result of having a Citibike station out front.

My sense is that young prospective renters would value the service being in proximity, and that older renters continue to generally move out of the neighborhood as opposed to into it.
  • One of these is going on my block, I'm super psyched.  Citibikes are great for short point to point trips around the neighborhood that are too short for the subway or don't make sense given routes.  (Vanderbilt to Franklin, Eastern Parkway to Ft Green, etc.)  If people what to park cars then they can pay for it, I have no sympathy for people complaining about public space being given over to something that's accessible to all instead of given away for free to people who choose to keep a private car in such a transit rich neighborhood.
  • a lot of the docks will be on the sidewalks as opposed to the roadbed (and i'm surprised there won't be one closer to the museum or along eastern parkway) but i have to agree with Hendi -- the need for a personal car is rare (that is, most people who say they "need" one mean to say they "like having" a car of their own for the convenience, i suppose). anyway, I'd rather see more services like CitiBike and Car2Go in the neighborhood.
  • Yeah, half seem to be on the sidewalk, while the other half seem to be in the street. But at 17 new docking stations, that's not a small number. 

Moving on, yes the "need" for a personal car is rare, but its not like CitiBiki or any other bike is a "need" for most either. Not in an city/area with such a robust public transportation system. With all of the construction going on in the neighborhood, drivers are already losing enough parking spots as is. Definitely happy that CitiBike is expanding. Just wish they found another way! 
  • james131 said:

a lot of the docks will be on the sidewalks as opposed to the roadbed (and i'm surprised there won't be one closer to the museum or along eastern parkway)

The article above only discusses the Citibike stations to be located on the northern side of Eastern Parkway.
    Here are where the southern ones will be. Note, some will be near the museum.
  • As a relatively long-time resident (20+ years) of the neighborhood and car owner, I fully support the proposed Citibike expansion.  My only regret about Citibike in Brooklyn is that the distribution of stations is not more dense as I believe that Citibike could be a killer app here given lack of transit options between some Brooklyn neighborhoods and the relatively lower density of Brooklyn when compared to Manhattan.  For the distances I need to cover, walking is pleasant, but not always efficient, driving is overkill, biking seems just right.  Car2Go also works really well, but is more costly than Citibike.

For example, I travel between Prospect Heights and Windsor Terrace most days.  Walking rapidly takes me 30 minutes, on the subway it's 3 trains and 45 minutes to an hour or more depending on connections.  Traveling by car is 10-15, longer if I have to look for parking.   Since Citibike came to Grand Army Plaza, I've been hopping on a bike there and dropping it at PPW and 15th, bringing my door-to-door commute to a predictable 15 minutes.  I've also used it to make trips to Park Slope, Bed Stuy, Gowanus and Red Hook.

In fact, given the range of transportation options now available (Car2Go, Zip Car, green taxis and even Uber), I'm coming to the conclusion that going carless will not only be cheaper, but also less of a hassle for me than car ownership going forward. (No more parking tickets, trips to gas stations, maintenance, insurance, car washes, etc.)  No single service meets all my needs, but together they do.  

To my neighbors who don't have the luxury of giving up your cars given your transportation needs, I would like to offer up the idea that supporting the availability of all of the options I listed above (including Citibike) in our neighborhood may actually benefit you too as we could see a net expansion of parking available and reductions in traffic/pollution, as more folks like me decide to give up their cars.  

• Has anyone heard any updates ... such as when they'll install the CB8 stations or if the "longtime residents" mentioned in the DNA article are causing delays? According to the article, I suppose there are another 9 days to submit complaints or comments--- "The public is encouraged to offer comments about the draft plan for the next 30 days through the DOT's Citi Bike website or by contacting CB8, which will gather input to deliver to DOT." Not sure how any of this might impact an original tineline.
  • In other areas, Citibike has been able to keep to its timeline despite any opposition. So, I expect to see the stations appear on schedule: late summer - early fall