Posturing, planning, conversation and positioning begins re: J'ouvert 2017 — Brooklynian

Posturing, planning, conversation and positioning begins re: J'ouvert 2017

Comments

• edited May 2017
    I have to give them credit for the location: Literally in the shadow of Ebbets Field apartments and within a stone's throw of Empire Blvd. ....the epicenters of the event and the,um, past violence.
  • I may have to go and see what happens. I'll probably won't make it until sometime after 6 pm.
  • edited May 2017
    I do not expect it to be very exciting. While they each want the event to go on, the NYPD has effectively argued that they can't do more. So, I guess they are just going to state "people who engage in violence do no represent me or the Caribbean Culture" over, and over. ....seems like common sense to point out that criminals only represent themselves.
  • whynot_31 said:
    I do not expect it to be very exciting. While they each want the event to on, the NYPD has effectively argued that they can't do more. So, I guess they are just going to state "people who engage in violence do no represent me or the Caribbean Culture" over, and over. ....seems like common sense to point out that criminals only represent themselves.
    Yet, judging by the comments I see some make about the event year after year, not everyone seems to realize this (or care).
  • As a result of being distinct from the parade, J'ouvert is an event that no entity seems to own. It seems to have no powerful fans.
  • Does this mean that any violence that happens before day break is not part of the event?
  • Many of you won't catch this reference, but the NYPD News reads like the Stars and Stripes. http://nypdnews.com/2017/08/de-blasio-administration-nypd-announce-increased-security-measures-upcoming-jouvert-celebration/
  • edited August 2017
    short film on J'ouvert.
  • There is no mention on how this would affect residents who have to cross the parade route to get to the subway stations...
  • They might create cross walks for people who are not in costume. I'm interested in how aggressively the NYPD clears the surrounding streets and areas. They somehow have to keep the parade route distinct, so they can sow success.
  • I'm curious how this would affect residents who live right on the route. Are barricades going up along the road? Can we not join in without being screened? Better believe the revelers will be out far earlier and running amok. I count myself as blessed having experienced J'Ouvert the past two years as it was before it became militarized :neutral:
  • whynot_31 said:
    They might create cross walks for people who are not in costume. I'm interested in how aggressively the NYPD clears the surrounding streets and areas. They somehow have to keep the parade route distinct, so they can sow success.
    There will be a blockade at Empire and McKeever Place and at Empire and Bedford Avenue according to the map. I will probably be out of town. Otherwise, getting around might be a hot mess.
  • edited August 2017
    rararuuu said:
    I'm curious how this would affect residents who live right on the route. Are barricades going up along the road? Can we not join in without being screened?
    I live just north of the route. I wonder if people who are simply trying to get to the to the Q train at Prospect Park will even be allowed to cross the parade route. I didn't see any of this addressed in the press. Unlike Times Square, this area is largely residential.
  • edited August 2017
    They already have loaded the police bright lights and barricades onto the sidewalk.

Last night I spotted members of the NYPD apparently patrolling Ebbets Field patio area. I guess this is also in preparation for J'Ouvert as Caray Gabay was shot and killed near the complex.

• I really just want to be able to join in with the bands when they start coming by in the morning. I know I probably won't be able to march in the main parade (had a chance and missed it last year, grrr) but joining the folks for J'Ouvert at least after sunrise is always a good time
  • One can hear and watch the various Mas bands practicing around the area in advance of the events.
  • edited August 2017
    whynot_31 said:
    One can hear and watch the various Mas bands practicing around the area in advance of the events.
    I heard one while on my way to the last meetup of posters at Berg'n. :)
  • 71st precinct was hard at work last night erecting barriers along the route. This is especially frustrating because it blocks road access and the parade isn't for another four days! So if you park on the street, expect to walk to a corner or hop a barrier. I had to wiggle my bike through a small opening where they weren't connected in front of a fire hydrant. For the folks in my building who are in wheelchairs and require the paratransit vans to get to and from their day programs, this is an extra layer of inconvenience as well. When I called Diana Richardson's office to complain, she told me I was the first to do so and informed me of a community input meeting tonight at the 71st pct office, so I called the community affairs officer and asked how I could provide my feedback since I can't make the meeting. If anyone wants to attend, it's from 6-7 PM at the 71st. Apparently the officer I spoke to hadn't even considered the impact on the residents because he sounded totally surprised!
  • They should have done a much better job of informing residents of the area... telling them what the timeline was for installations, where access points will be, and how to best navigate the area before, during, and after the events to get to and from your home. Living in the area, I have no clue what's going to be blocking the way, nor if I'll be able to get to the park if I want to walk my dog.
  • I suspect part of their parking and vehicle regulations stem from the recent phenomena of terrorists attacking large crowds with speeding trucks, as well as the older method of car bombs. The less vehicles that are around, the more they can focus on such work.
  • edited August 2017
    whynot_31 said:
    One can hear and watch the various Mas bands practicing around the area in advance of the events.
    I heard one while on my way to the last meetup of posters at Berg'n. :)
    Speaking of Berg'n, Gothamist ran this article about a resident who is very sensitive to noise coming from Berg'n and the mas bands practicing in the area:http://gothamist.com/2017/08/31/crown_heights_noise_carnival.php
  • The massive floodlights have been on Tuesday night and last night at the corner of Empire & Nostrand shining directly into our bedroom. Why would NYPD keep them on almost a week in advance, through the entirety of the night? Is it to test that they work? Is it to intimidate or deter the would be assailants of J'Ouvert 2017? A waste of energy, and gosh darn it they are bright.
  • I believe the NYPD wants to be perceived as doing all it can, even if some think it is annoying or ineffective.
  • edited August 2017
    whynot it's definitely that. I have spoken with a community affairs officer at the 71st and was informed that there are multiple units working on hammering out any kinks in the plan before the actual parade.

I pressed him on the lights and he said to expect them to remain on until after J'Ouvert, to which I responded "are they just trying to annoy us into demanding J'Ouvert be canceled ourselves?". I was also informed that the barriers would be moved about 5 feet from residential buildings to allow for more room for revelers, so be prepared. Anyone who wants to enter and join a mas can do so only via checkpoints where they will be screened.

I also informed him that he should contact sanitation because tomorrow is garbage day and all the trash is blocked in by guard rails! If they plan on moving these barricades, they better hope sanitation can take the garbage piled up outside the buildings. Otherwise NYPD is going to be lugging mattresses and furniture or we're going to be swimming in trash until next freakin Wednesday!
  • edited September 2017
    I am really interested in seeing how the NYPD copes with street parties that happen in the area (yet outside of the route) before 6 AM tonight.
  • There's a whole collection of them (~100) in front of the library right now!
  • edited September 2017
    There are likely hundreds spread throughout the neighborhood on foot patrol and in cars as well. Mobile shot spotters (a technology the detects gunshots) are also likely. More helicopters with infrared night vision are also likely at the ready. And, if you have look really hard, you will find that a water cannon truck is positioned somewhere nearby. (Prior years I have seen it parked just out of view in Prospect Park). A friend took this photo IMG_5300
  • edited September 2017
    There was a shooting at Union and Utica that may be related. ...but, was before the official festivities began http://nypost.com/2017/09/04/gunfire-erupts-ahead-of-jouvert-festival/
  • @whynot_31 , the flood lights that were aimed at 90 Sullivan Place are curiously off this evening. All the other lights I have seen on my way home are on.
  • See everyone next year!?
  • Street lamps and barricades are still scattered along Empire, but the lights were not on last night for the first time since they went up last Tuesday. Hopefully next year they will not need to keep them on nearly a week in advance. I will note that a team setting up one of the lights in front of my building managed to smash one and left broken glass all over the sidewalk and road... Can't have everything perfect, I guess?

Jouvert definitely felt a little slower this year, due to congestion from police on the route. This meant that more bands were stuck between Washington and Rogers than there were between Rogers and Nostrand at any given time. I entered the route pretty easily and police were generally relaxed, but it was also about 8:30 by then. Not sure what it was like at 6 AM at GAP. They specified no weapons or alcohol but there was plenty of drinking going on. People were already on the route selling food as well.

Police did shut down a small gathering outside of my building at about 11:30 the night before. I didn't hear the exchange they had with the guys outside, but they wrapped it up pretty quickly and it was eerily silent until about 5:30 when revelers started making their way over.

Hopefully they've worked out the kinks and next year will be smoother. Informing residents ahead of time would have helped as well, but I'm sure they were trying to avoid the wrath of a certain group of residents who are always ready to storm a precinct...
  • edited September 2017
    Lights were left on last night by P.S. 375 on McKeever Place. All the other lights that I saw on my way home were off. However, from my window, I could see that some lights on Bedford Avenue were left on.
This discussion has been closed.