Franklin btw President and Carroll - Brooklynian

Franklin btw President and Carroll

The cleaners in the building on the east side of the street have moved around the corner to a new location. That makes 6 vacant store fronts in a row in this building. With all the focus on Franklin Ave (mostly north of EP) I find it odd that there are so many vacancies on this block. There are also 2 shuttered locations on the opposite side. Also, why would the Cleaners move?? That is expensive. So either A) they got a much better deal in the new location, B ) the old spot was untenable for their business C) the lease came up and wasn't renewed. franklin

Comments

• dmiami2 said:
    The cleaners in the building on the east side of the street have moved around the corner to a new location. That makes 6 vacant store fronts in a row in this building. With all the focus on Franklin Ave (mostly north of EP) I find it odd that there are so many vacancies on this block. There are also 2 shuttered locations on the opposite side. Also, why would the Cleaners move?? That is expensive. So either A) they got a much better deal in the new location, B ) the old spot was untenable for their business C) the lease came up and wasn't renewed. franklin

Maybe the lease wasn't renewed because the cleaners couldn't afford the rent increase. I suspect these commercial spots are deliberately being warehoused.

• I was just wondering the other day if anyone talked to Tony recently about the plans for the old Pioneer grocery store on Franklin and Carroll? It's been shuttered for years.
  • I talk to him occasionally and he still seems to believe the neighborhood (demand) is not there yet.
  • Talked to the owners of the dry cleaners because I go there... they moved because rent was too high in the other location.
  • The demand probably isn't going to get any stronger with the old Key Food place on Washington being upgraded, and the Union Market folks over on E.P. and Bedford. I hope Tony is rethinking a new strategy for using that space.
  • Talked to the owners of the dry cleaners because I go there... they moved because rent was too high in the other location.
    Well that explains it... I guess we'll see how long the Metro PCS store wants to be the only tenant.
  • The demand probably isn't going to get any stronger with the old Key Food place on Washington being upgraded, and the Union Market folks over on E.P. and Bedford. I hope Tony is rethinking a new strategy for using that space.
    Totally agree. When the Pioneer was there I never went because the Associated was 2 blocks away and much nicer (IMO).
  • edited August 15
    The Sea Crest sites and the BBG site seem like they are not going to be occupied in the near future.
  • Even if they were to begin construction today, they might not be occupied until early Spring 2021
  • That block's been slowly turning into a ghost town for a while now. It seems like everyone feels they're better served waiting for rents to further increase before locking in tenants at a rate that could rapidly increase in the years to come. I still go to the pharmacy on that block, so hopefully they don't get pushed out as well.
    I actually noticed some activity is that space the other day for the first time in a while. Any updates @iamahmadrabah ?