Fave Restaurants East of the Franklin Line - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fave Restaurants East of the Franklin Line

Hey, so for all you CH'ers: What's your fave restaurant east of Franklin. I love me the Royal Bakery and Roti House something fierce. Mmm...veggie roti with pepper sauce.

Comments

• I have never been to a restaurant east of Franklin...in fact I have never BEEN east of Franklin, other than in a car on the way to the airport or something.

That said, I'd love to be enlightened! Can you post the location along with the names of said fabulous restaurants?
  • bluedove wrote: I have never been to a restaurant east of Franklin...in fact I have never BEEN east of Franklin, other than in a car on the way to the airport or something.

That said, I'd love to be enlightened! Can you post the location along with the names of said fabulous restaurants?
    Although I have been east of Franklin, I am equally ignorant of "Eats of Franklin". :cry:

Please enlighten us!
  • Man, yer all missin' out on the finest eats around.

Well, I'm strappin' on my shoes to head to:

Royal Bakery: 618 Nostrand Ave b/w Dean and Pacific. Good roti and aloo pies. Get the veggie!

And A&A Doubles: 481 Nostrand Ave between Macon and Fulton Sts. Get the one-dollar double. Spicy. Delicious.
  • David's Brisket on nostrand near atlantic

Feeding Tree on nostrand and lincoln pl
  • I second the Royal Bakery. Great currant rolls and cassava pones!
  • Hey, Alex: What's good at the Feeding Tree? Haven't been in yet.
  • Beef paties are ok but I like to get the chicken and rice with plantains
  • bluedove wrote: What ARE doubles?
    I know the Trini version is a flatbread called a barra- something kind of like a poori. It's generally folded over and filled with chick peas.
  • Pure awesome. They are two pieces of thin, chewy flatbread slathered with chickpea curry, then drizzled with fiery pepper sauce and sweet mango chutney and twisted in wax paper.

Two pieces of bread = double.
  • Doubles are small, round flatbread, very chewy. They are topped with a variety of delights, often chickpea mix. The best ones I've had are at Nio's, on the corner of Rogers and Church Avenues (#2 to Church, one block west).
  • Ask a good question...

(Thanks! Guess I know where I'M going for dinner ;))
  • My husband went to some sandwich shop on Prospect between Classon and Franklin for lunch last week (I am blanking on the name now) and said it was very disappointing. Any suggestions for anything better in the relatively immediate vicinity?

I'm also very curious as to whether anyone's ever been to the Fish + Chips Spot (I think that's what it's called) on Park near to Franklin? I notice it sometimes, but have never been in.
  • has anyone been to tavern on nostrand yet? its on nostrand one or 2 blocks south of e. pkway. looks pretty fancy-pants!
  • t-fal wrote: has anyone been to tavern on nostrand yet? its on nostrand one or 2 blocks south of e. pkway. looks pretty fancy-pants!
    Is it affiliated with Tavern on Dean?
  • I've been to that restaurant because I like to check out new places. The place is fancy alright, but way too fancy for the neighborhood, in my opinion. I predict this place will make it only it imports customers from out side the neighborhood. And that is going to be an uphill battle because the food is nothing to speak of.
  • any vegetarian options on the menu?
  • They have the run-of-the-mill salad on the menu but no vegetarian. You should check it out anyway.
  • Yo, Blue Dove:

Per sandwiches, I stick with the bodega on the corner of Park and Classon. Ask for the honey turkey (ain't slimy) and Swiss cheese. $3.50 and belly-filling goodness. And they'll make the sandwich 24 hours a day. Hello, 4 a.m. booze belly.
  • Oh, good idea! I am there four or five nights out of seven anyway, getting ice cream, beer, and/or cigarettes. What they must think of me. (I love those guys).
  • My god, I've probably pushed you aside in my quest for cheap meat and beer. If you judged our diet on what my house bought from the bodega, we would subsist on 22-ounce Budweisers, turkey sandwiches, $.25 ice-cream sandwiches and toilet paper.
  • You probably have!

Word to the wise: it's all about HOLLANDIA! I nearly wept with happiness when they started carrying it. A light beer I've never seen outside of Brooklyn, it's $3.60 for a six-pack of tallboys and a taste even my picky dark-microbrews-only stepfather approved of. How can you go wrong?
  • bluedove wrote: You probably have!

Word to the wise: it's all about HOLLANDIA! I nearly wept with happiness when they started carrying it. A light beer I've never seen outside of Brooklyn, it's $3.60 for a six-pack of tallboys and a taste even my picky dark-microbrews-only stepfather approved of. How can you go wrong?
    Wow, I need to go over there and try some of these. How do you pronounce that?
  • Well, we pronounce it "huh-LAND-ee-uh"

It's just a decent light beer, but at such a price...! :D

They also have it at C-Town.
  • Wow, apparently they have a LOT of beer at C-Town now! Anyway, you can see the Hollandia in the last picture, squeezed in between the millions of cans of Upper Canada (???) and whatever that orange box is.
  • I first encountered Hollandia in Harlem. I use them to make beer spritzers (great summer drink) -- get a big pitcher and fill it with ice, two hollandias, the juice of a couple limes and seltzer. yummy goodness. of course, I also drink it without the seltzer, but, you know ...
  • JoshB wrote: Yo, Blue Dove:

Per sandwiches, I stick with the bodega on the corner of Park and Classon. Ask for the honey turkey (ain't slimy) and Swiss cheese. $3.50 and belly-filling goodness. And they'll make the sandwich 24 hours a day. Hello, 4 a.m. booze belly.
    had the turkey sandwich over the weekend when i was just too lazy to cook something. you're right- damn good for the price, i just wish that there was a toasted option... oh, and it was filling! i had intended to get something to tide me over to my next meal- the sandwich ended up replacing my meal!
  • Okay so this isn't east of Franklin, but has anybody ever been to Two Fishes and Five Loaves (or something like that) on Classon just north of Park? Like right next to the bodega? I never see anybody in there, but it's always open and it looks rather nice...my curiosity is piqued. How do they stay in business? Maybe they cater to people visiting the old folks at the Nursing Care place across the street?
  • perhaps they are associated with a church? the name is an allusion to the sermon on the mount where the jeezoos pulled off a catering world first, feeding an army size crowd when he could only scrounge up 2 fishes and five loaves. that must have been some casserole.
  • Anonymous wrote: perhaps they are associated with a church? the name is an allusion to the sermon on the mount where the jeezoos pulled off a catering world first, feeding an army size crowd when he could only scrounge up 2 fishes and five loaves. that must have been some casserole.
    uh that was me... oddness.
  • Hehe

Yes, I know the reference, but I'm still mystified by its open-but-empty presence. I mean, I don't see it busy on Sundays, either.
  • or could be that open + always empty = drug front.
  • shhhhh... one must never acknowledge those sorts of things...
  • t-fal wrote: shhhhh... one must never acknowledge those sorts of things...
    Yeah. You have to be more subtle:

http://dailyheights.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=264&highlight=

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
  • bluedove wrote: Okay so this isn't east of Franklin, but has anybody ever been to Two Fishes and Five Loaves (or something like that) on Classon just north of Park? Like right next to the bodega? I never see anybody in there, but it's always open and it looks rather nice...my curiosity is piqued. How do they stay in business? Maybe they cater to people visiting the old folks at the Nursing Care place across the street?
    Ha, we just got a delivery menu from there the other day! I guess they do in fact want to sell food...
  • bluedove wrote: [quote=bluedove]Okay so this isn't east of Franklin, but has anybody ever been to Two Fishes and Five Loaves (or something like that) on Classon just north of Park? Like right next to the bodega? I never see anybody in there, but it's always open and it looks rather nice...my curiosity is piqued. How do they stay in business? Maybe they cater to people visiting the old folks at the Nursing Care place across the street?
    Ha, we just got a delivery menu from there the other day! I guess they do in fact want to sell food...

hrm. anything yummy looking on the menu?
  • I just went to look for you but it appears to have been discarded. C'est la vie!
  • Brooklyn Exposure is a nice hang out spot and the food is good too. Its on Bedford and St. Marks.
  • Oh, wait, there were more by the mailboxes :)

Actually yeah, it does look kind of good. Some carribbean, lots of seafood, lots of pasta. Pretty cheap, too. $10 minimum for delivery.
  • Me wrote: Brooklyn Exposure is a nice hang out spot and the food is good too. Its on Bedford and St. Marks.
    Yeah it's good but last time I went there was a $20 CC minimum at the bar which is fucked up.
  • Alex wrote: [quote=Me]Brooklyn Exposure is a nice hang out spot and the food is good too. Its on Bedford and St. Marks.
    Yeah it's good but last time I went there was a $20 CC minimum at the bar which is fucked up.

That must have been a special event or something because I am there just about every weekend and I've never heard that before. Anyway on Wednesdays they have Karaoke and its very nice. No Cover Charge.
This discussion has been closed.