This site is closed to new comments and posts.

Notice: This site uses cookies to function.
If you are not comfortable with cookies then please don't browse this website.

Rant - $270 fine for running a red light on a bike, really??? - Page 3 — Brooklynian

Rant - $270 fine for running a red light on a bike, really???

Comments

• edited August 2014
    I'm still waiting to find someone who is pro reckless driving.

....I don't like that or police bullying
  • Oops your right I jumped the shark there. None of the pro-reckless drivers have put there heads in here yet. 

One person suggested that lowering your speed for road conditions was unrealistic. Failing to adjust your road conditions. Combine that with the rampant victim blaming and we can conclude some posters are in fact in favor against reckless driving or not opposed to it. 
  • edited August 2014
    Are you purporting that whenever there is impact, someone did not properly adjust to road conditions?

Are the victims the people who have been told what the law is, yet break it, and then get a ticket or smooshed?
  • edited August 2014
    yesterday while out running I saw 3 cars being pulled over by police for crossing EP on a red light. 2 of the police men were in unmarked police cars.
  • @newguy88, I grew up in the 80's when bike messenger was a viable job for highly testosteroned teens and young men who didn't want to work in an office. No bike lanes, no yielding and no mercy. Just a guy, a whistle and a messenger bag.Those guys would tell us kids to stay on side streets, not ride in midtown during rush hour (stick to the edges of the island where traffic is lighter), and always have a whistle if we were venturing out into moderate to heavy traffic. I still abide by those rules and believe if most of the "my balls are too big for the bike lane" guys did the same, we all generally be safer. It doesn't make one less of a man to take a longer safer route than a more direct and dangerous one.
  • edited August 2014
    If a car driver got a ticket for running a red light they would feel 'caught" in the act and maybe a little shamed. Cyclists feel indignant and victimized when they get the ticket then tell everyone they know.
  • Thank you xlizellx for saying so clearly what I have been wanting to say.  And I even grew up here too.  
  • edited August 2014
    This video belongs here:

It is a favorite of my 11 year old niece.
  • Did anyone notice the DN editorial yesterday.  Operation Safe Cycle is now underway.  

• BTW I almost got hit by a car running a red light while on my bike tonight.  So many cars, so little enforcement.  It's just that bikes are the new guys on the block, so they stand out.  Cars because they're ubiquitous and been around since forever are just the norm.  So when they run over pedestrians, cyclists, each other, we just groan, "there they go again".  When a dog bites a man, when a car kills a pedestrian, that's not news. That doesn't mean its right, its just normal.
    Frankly, I for one think normal sucks.

• Have them go to the ticket paying bureau (whatever it's called) and have them reduce it. Otherwise it will count points against their license. I got mine reduced to $50 and no points to my drivers license, which would have been docked if I just mailed in the ticket.
  • Vision Zero at its finest !
    People wanted bike lanes all over the friggin place and they got them, as well as the consequences that accompanied them.
    As for myself, when riding my bike, I do my best to avoid bike lanes.I can't imagine a less enjoyable ride that biking along busy streets in Manhattan and inhaling all the exhaust fumes. But, to each his own.
    Pedestrian ticketing next?
  • edited August 2014
    A Pedestrian ticketing blitz might happen, and lots of people breaking the law would get tickets during the period.

However, such a blitz would lack the rhetoric of the hard core bikers.

Unlike hard core bikers, there are very few (if any) hard core peds. As a result, peds do not seem to feel they are saving the world against evil, polluting cars and therefore deserve exemptions from laws.

Peds seem to understand that there are dumb ways to die (see video), and being one of the dead or injured does very little to advance your cause.

As result, peds continue to be injured and die with frightening regularity but few feel they are martyrs. They are simply dead and injured, and one tries to not be among them.
  • So when they run over pedestrians, cyclists, each other, we just groan, "there they go again"
    Hell, most people don't even do that. The non-drunken, non-"reckless" smashing of property, people, infrastructure, the climate, etc... hey, it's just a fact of life; no harm in any of it really. So when people leisurely riding around in these things smash into shit at, say, Franklin @ EP (two recent cases documented here), well, they get to leave their broken glass and metal and oil all over the place and move on. Cyclists and pedestrians can just step over it. This is just life, you know. To make people drive at a speed where this stuff would basically never happen should be fought and whined about as vigorously as possible; and we should post repeatedly that people wanting to end this carnage are just out to raise some money via traffic tickets (an infinitesimally small amount relative to the overall city budget, but whatever).
  • As result, peds continue to be injured and die with frightening regularity but few feel they are martyrs.
    That is classic.

The defense of pedestrians is, rightfully so, far and away more often cited by sustainable urban planning groups than is that of cyclists. Because they are far more numerous and killed far more often.

This may be even better than the recent claims here that cars never get above 25 mph on EP or Flatbush. Just fantastic work.
  • edited August 2014
    Error
  • edited August 2014
    Error
  • edited August 2014
    Below quote.
  • I feel there a lot of similarities to hard core bikers and people who pursue jobs that they are feel are below them.   Like a HC biker, there are people from fortunate backgrounds who become teachers, social workers, etc.    They feel they are giving the world a gift, "leading by example".

Like HC bikers, some in these professions feel that they deserve lots of credit for their sacrifice, and are "saving the world".   They after all, are not working in some profession believed to be evil (banking, ie driving a car).    They want and expect rules and laws waived for them.     They feel they deserve it, and often perplexed by those who don't agree.
    I ride a bike as my transportation most of the time, partially because it's fun and partially because it saves a ton of money, and walk the rest of the time. And what I want is for infrastructure that makes it safe to do so without risk of death, especially as I age from a risk-taking young man into a more-cautious older man.

A lot of people bike in Brooklyn and other big cities bike because it's cheap and convenient, and more would if it were safer & easier. Obviously a bicycle isn't the right way to travel for everyone all the time, but they're perfect for trips of 1-5 miles like people often make in Brooklyn and other cities. And no, bikes aren't good for very much cargo, though it's still easy to carry 2 bags of groceries with racks and panniers. 

I don't want laws waived for me, but I want infrastructure, laws, and law enforcement to reflect the fact that I (and everyone else) have a right to travel by the means of my choosing, bicycle included, without risk of death, as well as the fact that automobiles (especially at high speeds) are the most dangerous thing on city streets. 

Especially in a city like New York, where density makes it impossible for everyone to drive (there's simply no room for that many cars!), and thus most people will walk & take transit, and many more people would bike if there were a safe, well-connected network of bike infrastructure that'd get them where they're going.
  • edited August 2014
    If the alternative was that bikers drove cars, I suspect that all car drivers, peds, bikers, and mass transit riders would prefer they stay on their bikes.

However, that seems like a false choice.

...and, so far, the majority of NYC has yet to perceive any gains from the increase in biking.

Except, of course, seeing attractive people wearing spandex.
  • I am curious... Is the fine increased for riding through a red light on your bike in the buff? Maybe this would make for a good protest...you know...get people interested in the injustices of bicycling fines relative to automobiles...
  • As to pedestrians, and I am definitely one of them, jaywalking and entering lanes of traffic in the middle of a block are the norm rather than the exception in NYC. Take a trip to D.C, Cleveland or almost any other American or European city and you will notice the difference immediately. Although I hate the idea, if Bill truly wants his Vision Zero to become a reality, then he should include regulations banning and fining peds who are jaywalking as well as both cyclists and peds who are using cell phones, music devices, or texting whenever they are on public thoroughfares, particularly in the intersections. Of course that won't happen because it won't play to his "damn those drivers; they're the bad ones!" base.
  • While I love"order" more than many, I can only tolerate the processes necessary to maintain it: I do not like the process that would be required to CREATE it.

A part of me really loved Singapore when I visited there.

However, I would not want to endure the struggle that would be required to make NYC into Singapore.

...I would instead just move to Singapore. Give me a society with established norms.

• Obviously the crackdown is working! Just think of what horrible damage could have been done had cyclists gone unpunished. I think we can safely say mission accomplished NYPD! 
  • Boulder CO, has established norms between cyclists and autos. Everyone in harmony with respect.
  • Boulder has some qualities that NYC will likely never have: It is relatively homogeneous. It is far less dense.
  • I think it's useful to distinguish between the delivery guys, messengers, etc and casual cyclists. I too work in midtown which is full of the former category and the behavior on average is abhorrent. As a ped, I've been nearly hit several times. Going on that alone, I'd be all for the fines. Anyone know how often they are fined for rolling infractions? Or their illegal hybrid electric bikes?

However, I also bike around brooklyn all the time and in my experience the casual bikers are fairly safe. I tend to do the idaho stop and consider myself a safe biker. From this perspective, I find the enforcement/fines over the top.
  • I feel the fine is appropriate to draw attention to the traffic offence. I was ticketed for riding one block on the sidewalk trying to get to a bike lane and it cast me $90. So now I never ride on the sidewalk even if my intentions seem good to me. It was a stiff but effective amount.
  • Boulder has a population of approximately 102,000.
    Even the much-vaunted Amsterdam has a population of well under 800,000.

Neither one of those is comparable in any way to NYC, much less to Brooklyn.
    In both, there are probably tons of laid-back pot smokers anyway.