This site is closed to new comments and posts.

Notice: This site uses cookies to function.
If you are not comfortable with cookies then please don't browse this website.

Big garage on St. Marks (between Underhill and Vanderbilt) will become a 5 story condo building — Brooklynian

Big garage on St. Marks (between Underhill and Vanderbilt) will become a 5 story condo building

edited January 2015 in Prospect Heights
Single story, brick. 278 - 292 St. Marks Avenue.

It is a big lot. ....and will become a big building.

The apartments will get lots of light as a result of the school yard across the street.

278 St. Marks
280 St. Marks
282 St. Marks
284 St. Marks
286 St. Marks
288 St. Marks
290 St. Marks
292 St. Marks

image<

Comments

• edited December 2014
    ^Loyal dog, Dude, in photo showing whole length of building^

The right side of the building:

The left side of the building

• how many apts are we talking?
  • edited September 2014
    I don't know yet. I believe plans have been (or are about to be) filed with DOB, and it will be "as of right".

A website with paid staff (Curbed, Real Deal, Brownstoner, etc) will likely get such details soon.

Brooklynian just has some guy with a dog that has some reliable friends.
  • cool. thanks man!
  • I've walked by that garage several times a day (with loyal dog Lucy), rented ZipCars there - even petitioned them for a parking space at one point.

And - I swear it - exactly LAST night - I looked at it and thought "Hmmph. I wonder when that place will sell and become a four story apartment building?"

I may be clairvoyant.
  • As evident in photo #2 above, this garage remains open.    

I suspect Brooklynian readers are once again in the the situation wherein they know a a place is about to close before its employees do.

We exist in different spheres.   
  • Preliminary research has indicated that owners of properties around the garage have been approached to see if they are interested in selling their properties, or the development rights (aka "air rights") to their properties.

Whatever is in the works, is BIG.
  • Not surprised at all…. been expecting this to happen for a while.  But still a little disappointed.  I'm sure they will be a huge tall building likely out of character with the surrounding ones.  
  • Demolition has begun

• Not surprised at all…. been expecting this to happen for a while.  But still a little disappointed.  I'm sure they will be a huge tall building likely out of character with the surrounding ones.  
    Agree to an extent. That said, I'd prefer what is likely coming (assuming that its not a skyscraper) vs. what is there now, which is also out of balance with many of the homes/buildings on the block at present. . 
  • I would prefer a 94x94 foot skyscraper 1,396 feet high. That'd be pretty good.
  • edited December 2014
    A quick glance seems to indicate it is an R6B zone:
    http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/zone/map16c.pdf

R6B does not allow one to build really high:

So, it would not surprise me if something about as high as the area buildings is created.   ...likely shinier.
  • with this and the recent loss of street parking on the vanderbilt/dean/carlton block due to construction, this area lost maybe about 100 spaces. people with cars are prolly feeling the squeeze a little bit now.
  • with this and the recent loss of street parking on the vanderbilt/dean/carlton block due to construction, this area lost maybe about 100 spaces. people with cars are prolly feeling the squeeze a little bit now.
    Yup. Especially with all those film crews taking up whole blocks at a time.
  • edited December 2014
    It would not surprise me if the new building included parking spots for its residents.

So, while the new building replaces a garage, it's residents will likely not have to compete with existing residents for spots.
  • Can't really say I've felt a noticeable difference in how hard it is to find a spot since it closed, but then b/c I drive to work everyday, I'm not looking for a coveted "dont have to move for a couple days" spot.  Plus I wonder how far a radius the former parking lot users lived in, meaning these arent 100 cars in a 2 block radius, but maybe spread over much more.
  • edited December 2014
    The developers seem to have chosen 278 St Marks as this building's address. Here's the demolition permit:

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobsQueryByNumberServlet?requestid=1&passjobnumber=321024084&passdocnumber=01
  • They're at work already. The noise is going to  be awful! Can they really start before 8am??
  • Yup. They can start at 7 AM.

"Construction Hours
    Construction may occur between 7:00 am and 6:00 pm on
    weekdays."

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dep/pdf/noise_code_guide.pdf
  • My life is going to be hell. Of course, the irony is that we're moving into new construction sometime next year, so other people are being driven crazy by that noise somewhere else.
  • If it makes you feel better, take pictures of the demolition and post them here.

It should not take them very long to demolish a garage.
  • This woke me up today too :(. Any guess how long this whole process should take? (demolition + construction)
  • For the heck of it, I will predict May 2016 occupancy.

I kinda hope they build townhouses, like those planned on Underhill
  • I'm moving so it won't be my problem, but I hope they don't go too tall and block light to all the backyards on Underhill
  • It would not surprise me if the new building included parking spots for its residents.

So, while the new building replaces a garage, it's residents will likely not have to compete with existing residents for spots.
    I hope you're right. But I suspect that more people = more cars. Even if they don't get a spot in the garage, they will likely bring cars with them and park on the street.
  • edited January 2015
    This just in: It will come with 64 parking spots, 2 per apartment...

"This sizable garage at 280 St. Marks Avenue in Prospect Heights will meet the wrecking ball to make way for a five-story, 32-unit apartment building. Designed by DXA Studio, the 50,000-square-foot development will have 64 underground parking spots, a gym and 54 bike storage spaces, per new building applications filed last week.

Demolition applications were filed to knock down the garage in early December. The single-story building dates back to the ’20s and measures roughly 20,000 square feet. The developers are Wild Edge Group and Fifth Square Partners, who closed on the property for an undisclosed amount in November, according to Wild Edge’s website"

http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2015/01/five-story-apartment-building-to-replace-one-story-garage-in-prospect-heights/

P.S. I wish to thank my sources for getting me this lead back in Sept 2014, two months before the property officially changed hands in Nov 2014.
  • edited January 2015
    Quite luxurious with large units, 2 parking spots... raising the bar for the neighborhood.
  • edited January 2015
    It will compete with the Pacific Park building being constructed at Vanderbilt and Dean.

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/44761/here-is-what-550-vanderbilt-at-dean-will-look-like/p1

Update: Rebecca at Brownstoner has been told it will be condos, not rentals
  • The large garage on the site has now been demolished.