Starbucks on Franklin Ave?
  • Or go to neither, because they enjoy good coffee (RIP Glass Shop).
  • What is the story of Bella greens?
  • It was a salad bar that lasted about six months b/w Sterling and Park. That's the problem with failed business - people forget they fail and then try to open their own version of the previous failure.
  • Tony certainly hopes his present customers will remain loyal, but is well aware that much of his business comes from people passing thru the area.

They may go to the familiar Starbucks.

Re: Bella Greens. It failed for many reasons, most of which do not apply to Tony. He can run a business, and understands meeting the means and preferences of enough people to stay in business...
  • ap said:

I'm amazed by how fast the interior of this Starbucks has taken shape.

Same here.  Pretty impressive operation.
  • whynot_31 said:

Tony certainly hopes his present customers will remain loyal, but is well aware that much of his business comes from people passing thru the area.

They may go to the familiar Starbucks.

Re: Bella Greens. It failed for many reasons, most of which do not apply to Tony. He can run a business, and understands meeting the means and preferences of enough people to stay in business...

Bella Greens failed because the owners could not run a business.  30 minutes for a salad was the norm.  I tried to go often and was just too frustrated.  I once ordered chopped egg on my salad...and they proceeded to take out a pot to boil some water in.  A small store-front that was only for to-go salads will not survive when your entire lunch break is taken up ordering - and that is assuming no one else was waiting ahead of you.
  • Bella Greens also lacked economies of scale, causing them to have to pay almost retail for their ingredients.

...whereas Tony has economies of scale and an established complimentary brand.
  • Just for reference, Bella Greens was in the tiny space that now is a clothing store next to J's Wong, just south of Park Place on Franklin.  This space also used to be a tattoo parlor. 
  • I never went to Bella Greens, but I think a salad bar (with a quicker service and a lot of toppings to chose from) sounds excellent.
  • whynot_31 said:

They have to pay a penalty if isn't ready on time.    

BTW, here's the photo of the day:

CAM00652

Ah, to be idealist and in one's 20s.

I just state over and over:    It is isn't about what an area needs.   It is about what an area will support.

Picked up by Brownstoner today: http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2014/09/two-protest-crown-heights-soon-to-open-starbucks/#comment-1574452

Some of their comments are worth reading.
  • I'm not surprised either -- there was a Starbucks near my old job that literally turned around their space in a week. They have it down to a science, and they have all the pieces for the interior ready to go at a moment's notice. 

• Even if you don't like Starbucks, they provide valuable public-restrooom services. I, personally, can't think of another place to poop for free within a 5-block radius.
  • Or a place to do a diaper change in the winter!
  • Not random photos:

• Sign on door confirms open tomorrow 6-10.
  • @whynot_31 - are you trying to show the signs in the pictures above?  Someone is having fun...photo (26)
  • I can't elaborate on my photos yet.

I wonder whether it will have any opening day fanfare (or promotions). 
  • whynot_31 said:

I can't elaborate on my photos yet.

Oh, the suspense... :)

Isn't 10pm a little early, particularly on weekends?
  • I suspect they will adjust their hours in response to market conditions.

Sales at large chains are monitored via a computer network, and then used to influence staffing, hours, when to prep etc
  • Is that a Jihadi stencil above pulp and bean?
  • I'm not sure what that is.

BTW, I think this guy is the regional manager of Starbuck's:   https://twitter.com/damienzamudio
  • Well........Anyone?
  • It was amazing!
  • I didn't get a chance to swing by this morning. (Maybe I should have opted for the IRT; the Q line had issues this morning.) If I remember, maybe I'll pop in on my way home. Then again, I also have yet to check out Midwood Flats, which is in the other direction. *le sigh*
  • They were standing just outside the door today, offering tiny cups of free coffee for passerby. They were friendly. It was nice. It looks gorgeous inside.  

I went to my regular coffee shop though.  
  • They were handing out samples outside even though it was raining?! Rats, I missed it! :)
  • I grabbed a free shot of the coffee, which was nice considering the rain and the fact I already had a cup and half of coffee at home.  Think I read something inside about a Grand Opening on the 9th..
  • I have no objection to Starbucks and am all for competition.

...but must admit that it annoys me that Starbucks was able get their initial DOH inspection so quickly, and on the day they wanted it. This is in sharp contrast to the mom and pops that have to wait weeks or months for an inspection, and don't get to choose the date.
  • When I passed by on my way to the subway this morning, there was one customer exiting the Starbucks, and about four people waiting in line at Pulp & Bean (along with two or three seated customers at P&B).  
  • I bet Starbucks was able to hire an expediter for the whole process.
  • Most businesses (small and large) hire expediters. If that's all that was in play, it would merely seem to provide the expediters vary in quality.

To me, this really speaks to the expertise and capital that Starbucks brings to the table. Starbucks has connections it has established....

NYC does not want Starbucks stating to its important friends that NYC is a pain in the butt place to do do business.

NYC is no where near as concerned about what small businesses say about it; they have equally small friends.
  • Perhaps this SB will also have a code on it's bathroom like the one on Flatbush does.
  • I went to the new Starbucks this morning. It was almost empty of customers at 9:00. I noticed many of the commuters walking by were looking in the windows to check the place out. It is nicely finished inside, with some nice seating arrangements. The staff is still learning, so they were flummoxed by my order of a double espresso macchiato. They figured it out eventually, and it was well made. 

I feel for Pulp and Bean next door, but they had a line out the door this AM, while Starbucks sat empty. Maybe they will serve two sets of clientele. 
  • Maybe Tony should issue a vendetta promising to buy Starbucks' coffee machines.
  • Tony had a sign out side of P & B this morning that said something like, "every time you purchase non-local coffee a baby dies". Or something. 
  • Happy to hear folks are supporting the local coffee shops.
  • Tony had a sign out side of P & B this morning that said something like, "every time you purchase non-local coffee a baby dies". Or something. 

I love Tony.
  • very close...

photo:  Emily Hughes
  • That sign sounds hilarious! I want to get a coffee from P&B just because of that.
  • Yeah Kevin's back!
  • He and his wife visited. I was waiting for someone to comment they recognized him.
  • I ran into him on Friday. It was nice seeing him, brought back some familiarity...  For those of you who don't know him, he and his wife were true pioneers of Franklin Ave. opening a clothing shop and a candy store in what now seems like ages ago.
  • As a result of being an electrician, he gained an understanding of how various neighborhoods were changing based on the various places he was getting electrical work.

...which led him to purchase some properties, back when doing so was within the means of an electrician.

Now, he rents them out. I believe they pay for a significant % of his family's expenses in Florida.

This photo is basically him smiling at his investments paying off.
  • BTW, I asked someone if this Starbucks was named #23266 in the DOH records because it is the 23,266th location:

They stated "yes".   

Which makes sense because they had 23,187 stores in July 2014:

• Gave in and paid a visit resently. The coffee is...well, it's Starbucks, you know what you get. The space and atmosphere is pretty open and inviting. Nice place to sit and read a book. It looks like there is always someone there without it being too crowded.
  • Anyone know what the permanent hours are? I'm doing a lot of treking around the neighborhood after 9pm, and this would be a good place to make a pit stop with a nice tea before finally heading home if its open later.
  • The Village Voice asks: Does the New Crown Heights Starbucks Threaten Small Neighborhood Businesses?
    http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/2014/10/new_crown_heights_starbucks_threatens_small_businesses.php

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook