Parked cars on the sidewalk overlooked by the police
  • There has been a truck parked on Bergen near Washington for over 7 years with flat tires beside 4 others. A couple years a go I tried a 311 campaigne to get them ticketed and towed to no avail. It is still there.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@40.677862,-73.960749,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sC0sFYXA9qLH5mkVIa06ybQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

I see the locals near the police station on park and Washington are mimicking the police cars and expanding the diagonal parking down Grand Street with great success. There is also a lone car at 1000 Bergen that feels justified to over hang the sidewalk with their car. Atlantic Ave is a mess to walk down on either sidewalk from Washington to Bedford Ave. The car wash at EPWay and Bedford hand wipe cars allover the sidewalk as an extension of their business property while they park thier own cars in the "detailing" port.
     How do we get respect as pedestrians?
  • I'm not sure you noticed but there's a SUV on Park and Washington in the street with all four tires slashed. My friend who lives at that intersection says those spaces are seen as belonging to the NYPD and hypnotizes that the cops slashed em in retaliation for parking in "their" space. I start off with this to empathize the cop's attitudes to illegal parking.

I know that car wash at EP and Bedford and one of these days their going to kill or injure a cyclist when they dump their buckets out into the road. In my experience it's best only to walk across Atlantic and not along it. The good news is a lot of those car shops on Bergen and Dean will be closing down as the area gets redeveloped.

As for getting respect that's kinda trickier. As you noted 311 is useless. Try calling the 77th precinct directly at 718-735-0611 and try to get someone above the operator. Also try to get your council person involved. But in all honesty it's an enforcement issue which doesn't seem to have been touched by vision zero yet.
  • I posted a thread last summer about cops towing cars in this neighborhood. http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/38646/nypd-tow-trucks-parade

Perhaps it is time for another NYPD crackdown.
  • I do like how they orchestrated the one last year:

They blocked the streets so the auto body shops could not dispatch their own tow trucks to "rescue" the derilict vehicles. Yes, it may be time for it happen again: The Brg'n food court and beer hall will soon open.
  • It could but I wonder at about the deterrence effectiveness at these one big one time productions. I would think a long term possibly permanent ticketing and towing campaign would be much more effective. 
  • But...ticketing and towing really aren't the responsibility of the patrol cops. It's the responsibility of the Parking Enforcement Agency but how one gets to them is a whole other thing. I know their one of their dispatch places is on the corner of Church Ave. and Ralph Ave. in East Flatbush but I don't know if they would have jurisdiction over this part of Brooklyn.
  • Are you saying the pick up and those other cars in that picture 
    are parked on that sidewalk 24 hours a day for the last 7 years?   
  • Oh, yes. Those cars have not moved for years. Same with several of the cars on Grand, across from the police precinct.
  • I merely wish to point out that we are discussing what is known as the "Detective Castle"; It is not actually a precinct.

Carry on.
  • I've heard SeeClickFix is a good option for handling such problems in Brooklyn.  
  • Maybe someone can call Sanitation and say they are abandoned and need to be removed. I have seen Sanitation throw those stickers on the window and a few days later the car is gone. You might even want to get the local schools backing on this since Bergen is a major thoroughfare for students traveling to the school on underhill. Meanwhile if my car is parked 2 minutes after ASS I get a ticket
  • whynot_31 said:

I merely wish to point out that we are discussing what is known as the "Detective Castle"; It is not actually a precinct.

Carry on.

It was once a precinct, at least back when they filmed Serpico.
  • I have called Sanitation many times in the past but the repair shop removes the stickers and the tow trucks cannot remove the cars without a ticket from police or a yellow sticker. the police will not ticke cars without registration stickers either for an unknown reason.  Seems to be a system full of holes.
  • There is a large moving truck with 2 flat tires, no license plate in front of a fire hydrant on Atlantic Ave infront of the Uhaul that has been there for a month with out a single ticket. This is a bit extreme considering the glitz that goes on near the area around the Arena. Is there a change in precincts ? Atlantic avenue sidewalks are piling up with cars as the repair shops move out along Dean and Pacific.

I used to jog along Atlantic but what with the soap on the sidewalk in front of the car washes and the parked cars it has become too dangerous.
  • Just this morning i walked past those cars on Bergen for 7 years  and low and behold all but the truck was gone. The truck had new tires!

the Detective Castle however had 2 cars sloppily parked in such a way that they were partially blocking the cross walk. My daughter and I had to walk around them. No respect for anyone but their special privilege syndrome .
  • Street still not cleaned since last post. these cars don't move. Why?
  • I wonder if they were at some point seized by the police, and are awaiting a trip to the impound lot.

...one with no defined date.

You could probably ask the person working the desk at the Detective Castle.
  • My guess is if they are sitting for years they may be part of an investigation or PD controlled (note I didn't say owned) vehicles.
  • well if part of pending investigations they are not immune to tampering. i think it is just an over looked place to store cars for the repair shop next door or PD hobbies (yet to be repaired) that they would rather not park in front of their own houses.
  • The lot of the repair shop that occupies the triangular lot is always full.

So, yea, it would not surprise me if he works out a deal with the detectives.

Something like "I'll give any of you guys a jumpstart if you ever need one, and you let me park some of my cars on the street".

• It always surprises me that repair shops can stay in business while filling up thier own garages or available parking lots with worthless cars not in their schedule to repair while they squeeze the few customers into work areas on the sidewalk or just inside the door. if only the Police would ticket these illegally parked cars on the sidewalks and wherever then these repair shop would become more efficient with the space they own or have a lease on. There would then be the same economic incentive the rest of us have to move our cars for street cleaning.
  • Dawndew said:

There has been a truck parked on Bergen near Washington for over 7 years with flat tires beside 4 others. A couple years a go I tried a 311 campaigne to get them ticketed and towed to no avail. It is still there.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@40.677862,-73.960749,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sC0sFYXA9qLH5mkVIa06ybQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

I see the locals near the police station on park and Washington are mimicking the police cars and expanding the diagonal parking down Grand Street with great success. There is also a lone car at 1000 Bergen that feels justified to over hang the sidewalk with their car. Atlantic Ave is a mess to walk down on either sidewalk from Washington to Bedford Ave. The car wash at EPWay and Bedford hand wipe cars allover the sidewalk as an extension of their business property while they park thier own cars in the "detailing" port
     How do we get respect as pedestrians?

Those exact cars have not been there for years. They change. I live across the street from that place and I know the owner. He's been fixing those cars. 

No offense but this how it's been for god knows how long. Just because some fancy bar is coming down the street doesn't mean it needs to be changed. 
  • At least for a while, I suspect his ongoing relationship with the NYPD will trump the "make everything clean and fancy" pressures from Berg'n opening.

Eventually, though, this corner will get cleaned up.

2016?
  • It is not about the fancy bar.
    It is about an attitude this PD has for auto repairs in general and parking on the sidewalk throughout Crown Hts. This is just one example. It is a kind of disrespect for pedestrians by making special exemptions for a few friends. My local mechanic does not do this. If some repair shops take on more cars than they can process in a week they need to move to a larger location. I know this area and this mess is more recent than "God knows how long". It all started with the Arena moving in.
  • I think the arena has been open about 20 months.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2012/09/29/nyregion/barclays-centers-opening-is-met-with-protests.html?pagewanted=all

Whereas the cars have been there since I started being active in the area, 2003.

How do you like the benches we got installed in Aug 2012?

http://www.brooklynian.com/discussion/35318/help-get-citybenches-on-washingtongrand-triangle/p1
  • So 7 months free parking since this thread started for say...about 25 cars, what do suppose that would cost in a garage? $100 per car per month?  25 spaces locals cannot use.  

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook

Tagged