Cafe Shane on Washington wants to serve liquor - Brooklynian

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cafe Shane on Washington wants to serve liquor

edited May 2016 in Prospect Heights

Café Shane, 794-798 Washington Avenue (Sterling/St. John’s) – Full Presently a sit down cafe that isn't even always open for dinner.shane

photo: yelp

Comments

• Do you have any information about this (an online record, or a meeting where it may be brought up)? As a neighbor I have some interest in this. They have, in the past, thrown some very loud and late going weekday parties.
  • Please be advised that the CB8 SLA & Sidewalk Café Review Committee will meet on Monday, June 6, 2016 at 6:00 PM at CNR-The Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, which is located at 727 Classon Avenue, Brooklyn, NY (between Park and Prospect Places).
  • Thank you! Great to know. I'm actually surprised they don't already have a full license
  • edited May 2016
    I am interested in seeing if they go upscale as a result of getting their lic.

Shane's and Tom's seem to be the only two places on Washington one can get a "regular breakfast", as opposed to a fancy brunch.
  • They already expanded to the next door location where they host private parties which I suppose they are catering for. It may be that they just want to serve drinks for these occasions, which were actually much more frequent about a month ago but have not recently been occurring.
  • It seems the attempt discussed above was not successful, and now they are trying again. This time, it seems to indicate that the event spaces will become a bar. I expect the restaurant will be able to serve as well. IMG_5265
  • In the past Shane's has been a pretty irresponsible neighbor when it comes to noise intensity throughout the day and passed 11pm, even when I personally approached them about it (on occasion they were hostile and non-responsive). They have recently reduced the after hours noise, but the music/ radio they blast in the kitchen all day remains problematic. I fear that if they get a liquor license they will not be respectful to residential neighbors surrounding them on all sides.
  • It is pretty hard to prevent a business from getting a license. As a pro-issue state, NYS basically requires that a business annoy their neighbors after getting their license, not before.