This site is closed to new comments and posts.

Notice: This site uses cookies to function.
If you are not comfortable with cookies then please don't browse this website.

11238 USPS Package Delivery — Brooklynian

11238 USPS Package Delivery

edited November -1 in Prospect Heights

Anyone else have problems with this? USPS tracking number says my package was delivered two days ago, but it's not there. This is something that easily fits in the mailbox. I've seen the mailman come and go without ringing the bell. No one answers the listed number for this particular post office and when it rings out you get a piercing tone as a final fuck you.

Comments

• I got another number out of them. Not sure which you have, but the two I have are 718-398-1148 and 718-783-2444. Oddly enough, I think I have gotten through on both of them at various times, but I know the piercing tone of which you write.

Good luck.

• The second number is the listed one. Of course they're closed for the day, so I'll have to wait until Monday.

• Tell them you want to file a complaint if they can't find your package. They will fight, plead and maybe even beg but file a complaint. Also check with your neighbors and around the building. The Post Office loves to hide packages like their Easter eggs.

• Packages sent to me via USPS often don't reach me... If it's bulky or valuable, I ask the sender to use UPS or FedEx.

• Packages sent to me via USPS often don't reach me... If it's bulky or valuable, I ask the sender to use UPS or FedEx.

This seems to be the consensus amongst my neighbors; this sender only uses USPS, but I will take all of this into consideration in the future.

(Calling all English teachers: Is this correct semicolon use?)

For the record, I lived between Franklin and Bedford (11216) and never had a problem with USPS delivery.

• If you can avoid using USPS in zip code 11238, do so. They take laziness and incompetence to a new level. I had a few negative experiences with them years ago and have since gone out of my way to avoid using them, even if it winds up costing me more money. Some things are worth paying for.

• I actively avoid having things shipped USPS as well, for the same reason. It used to be that packages would just never arrive. Now they tend to arrive several days after the delivery-notification email reaches me.

And that's a close but not quite on the semi-colon use; you want the two sentences to be very closely related, and in your example they read to me as two quite distinct thoughts. But I'm only a former English teacher, so take from that what you will.

• I agree with Mishaps: your semicolon should have been a period.

I also agree with those who prefer UPS and FedEx over USPS. Whenever USPS delivers a package to me (in 11215), they deposit it on my doorstep for all the world to see, ring the doorbell, and run for the hills. Sometimes the package is still there when I get home, and sometimes it is not.

• booklaw at least they bother to ring your doorbell thats more than I get.

• We're in 11238 and have had problems with USPS, FedEx and UPS--I think many of the drivers are lazy and once they see they have to climb stairs to our apartment, they just leave a sticky note on the door. Several times we've been home waiting for a package, only to find a note on our door in the evening. They showed up but never even buzzed.

Now, we get most of our packages delivered to Lincoln Postal. We pay a small fee ($5 per package) and they hold packages for us. They even let me borrow a handtruck to carry a package home once.

Best of luck!

• AP, I had this exact problem with UPS when I first moved in. I was shocked at how many delivery attempts were made whilst I was waiting in my apartment. I actually once saw the UPS driver park in front my building look at it and then simply mark the package as "delivery attempt made." He never even left the truck!

This is when I called the customer service number and they filed a complaint. When it happened again I called once more and insisted on being bumped up the chain of command twice. I have no idea who I talked to but afterwards I've never had a problem with UPS. But they do make me sign for absolutely everything now. So it's worth it to call.

I want to know why the USPS sucks so much. In Prospect

Heights/ Crown Heights. Or is it all of Brooklyn? When I lived in Manhattan I never ever had a problem with my mail. In Tennessee barely a problem. In Georgia only a few problems here and there. However it was starting to get worse in my last year there. Yet in Brooklyn, there are times when I feel lucky to get mail at all.

P.S. has anyone figured out a way to get Amazon and eBay sellers to stop shipping via USPS/ FedEx Smart Post?

• I want to know why the USPS sucks so much. In Prospect

Heights/ Crown Heights. Or is it all of Brooklyn?

As I mentioned, I never had a problem with USPS package delivery in 11216.

• Yuppie, your lucky! My friends living on the border of Prospect Heights and Crown Heights have problems. My neighbors and I have trouble. It would appear a lot of other people have trouble. Whats your secret?

• Whatever it was no longer works.

• I used to get mail like clockwork in 11216. Then my regular mail carrier died/got fired/moved to another route/became a superhero and now the mail carrier seems to change from week to week. Some weeks are good, others not so much.

• I generally get things shipped to work, but when I don't I prefer USPS since I can pick the package up on Fulton Street as oppose to the ass end of Canarsie.

• horrible don't ever ship anything you want to get with them or get a mailbox at one of those paid places. It not just that area code it all over NYC. Alot of times they'll just drop it in front of the door. which get legs and walk away from ya.

• USPS city-wide is horrible. UPS and FedEx are better, but I've still had problems with both services.

My advice:

Never ship anything in a padded envelope. Always us a box. Anything I've had go astray has been packaged in a soft envelope.

• I can barely believe it myself, but I've never had a problem with USPS delivery in 11238. Every regular package that's been sent to me has gotten into my vestibule without me having to go fetch it.

UPS is another story. The guy with the yellow sunglasses is all about ringing all the doorbells, so often the package will make it inside the door if somebody in the building is home.

FedEx is one that'll leave a note without ringing the bell, although even they've gotten less bad lately. Maybe they've got a new driver with a conscience.

• I can barely believe it myself, but I've never had a problem with USPS delivery in 11238. Every regular package that's been sent to me has gotten into my vestibule without me having to go fetch it.

UPS is another story. The guy with the yellow sunglasses is all about ringing all the doorbells, so often the package will make it inside the door if somebody in the building is home.

FedEx is one that'll leave a note without ringing the bell, although even they've gotten less bad lately. Maybe they've got a new driver with a conscience.

• 11216 here. The postal worker used to leave the orange slips when we had packages. Lately they've just been dumping them in our foyer. One of them was a freaking LAPTOP. We have a paid postal box on Franklin for delivery now.

• +1. ive learned that postal service in 11238 (and the surrounding post offices) is terrible. often times i'll see online that package a package was delivered, but there will be no evidence of it, no slip or package. half the time they will have it waiting at the post office, half the time it will have just disappeared into the ether. i have about a 65% success rate with postcards getting to me.

most of the postal employees seem to be really lazy and hate their jobs and customers. not all, i have met some good people, but they are the exception.

• 11238 is a special third-world outpost of the usps. actually, that's insulting the third world -- i got far better mail service in mexico. i have almost never gotten a package delivered here without days or even weeks of hassle. i fill out and leave the delivery slip on the door (which my letter carrier ignores) and fill out the redelivery info online. it always takes several tries. the phone numbers at the 11238 station are never answered. i fill out the complaint form online though every single time and urge everyone else to do the same. perhaps one day someone in some authority will see there's a problem here and clean house. but i'm not holding my breath.

• So I don't know if the USPS lost it in Texas or in NYC or somewhere in between but they lost my girlfriend's christmas gift. Seeing how it was handmade from Etsy there is no way I'm going to be able to get a replacement one from here before the 25th. I'm beyond livid. For what it's worth I live in 11216 and the last scan was in Texas.

• Hi. Not sure if you've already tried this...but, I recently had a similar issue with a package lost by the post office in my old neighborhood (filled with all the lazy, rude, less-than-helpful staff as you described...), and after 3 weeks of frustration and getting nowhere with the staff I escalated the issue of the missing item to that particular Post Office's "Station Manager". I'm guessing they may have more at stake in terms of a person filing a "lost package" insurance claim or complaint again the post office than a regular employee would have and so they are a bit more incentivized to help/find the package, but literally, within 3 days of escalating to the Station Manager, my package from China was miraculously found and I was able to pick it up...As a matter of fact, the Station Manager even ran it out to my car for me instead of making me wait in line. So, if you havent tried that yet, give it a whirl...Hope that helps....

• I do give them credit for creativity in coming up with excuses for not delivering packages.  But that's the only thing the lazy sacks of crap there put any effort into.  If they ever do start privatizing, please let it start in 11238.  Fire the entire sorry lot of them.
  • Whenever Amazon deliveres via USPS there is always a lot of tension and anxious waiting. Will it go wrong....again (most likely it will)? Or will we actually...gasp...receive the package? There have been problems with UPS too, but UPSP is a true nightmare. USPS online re delivery service is a joke and a waste of time. It never works.
  • edited September 2014
    Many people solve this problem by having the packages delivered to to one of the nearby Mail Box etc type stores, or to a friend that lives in a doorman building.
  • Stolen packages are a problem.

I agree with whynot: if you can't have these things delivered to work, then use a Mail Boxes Etc. type place.