This site is closed to new comments and posts.

Notice: This site uses cookies to function.
If you are not comfortable with cookies then please don't browse this website.

Prospective Park Place Pawnshop! - Near Franklin Avenue. - Page 5 — Brooklynian

Prospective Park Place Pawnshop! - Near Franklin Avenue.

Comments

• Time to hear from our local elected officials.

• The proprietor commissioned an artist to spray paint a mural on the outside wall of the 'jewelry store'. Picture this: purple background, and in the foreground a giant white baby with brown eyes, grasping a wad of twenty dollar bills in one hand, sitting on stacks of Benjamins piled perpendicular to each other. Money floats all about in the periphery; watches and earrings are scattered about at the base.

The baby wears a gold crown, and a white diaper.

Yeah, I'm serious.

• I passed by yesterday and it's much more far gone than that now. He's obviously a very good artist, and I told him that. I did express to him that there has been great controversy about the store's presence, and he said rather emphatically, essentially, don't blame the messenger. He also said he has been on the receiving end of a number of rude statements from folks in the neighborhood.

Standing in front of that mural reminded me of oldschool Harlem on Wednesdays and weekend evenings. Folks would hang murals painted on thick cloth on the fence on the northern side of 125th Street, just feet away from the Apollo Theatre. When the crowd filed out of the theatre they would look at the murals that appealed to them and take polaroid pictures in front of them for a nominal fee, charged by the owner of the mural.

It also reminds me of Coney Island -- which sort of makes sense because the proprietor is Russian, or Ukranian, or something like that, and that's where a number of Russian-folk live. From an artistic perspective, it's not half bad. There is a garish quality to it, but that is sort of the appeal; larger than life, hyper-colored, etc.

Also, reminds me of the circus.... The artist's name is Jamie.

• MHA wrote:

Standing in front of that mural reminded me of oldschool Harlem on Wednesdays and weekend evenings. Folks would hang murals painted on thick cloth on the fence on the northern side of 125th Street, just feet away from the Apollo Theatre. When the crowd filed out of the theatre they would look at the murals that appealed to them and take polaroid pictures in front of them for a nominal fee, charged by the owner of the mural.

Ah, yes, back when the indoor flea market was directly across the street.

...and about the time the crazy guy committed arson to protect his favorite record store.

...and when one could still buy really good weed from the Haile Selassie place on the northern side of the street way over by Metro North.

Those were good times, but those times are long gone.

...but back on topic, I suspect a percentage of those who enjoy quality weed, and other substances available locally also tend to sell their relatives' and neighbor's electronics and jewelry, so our store owner may indeed know his future customer base well.

Although such garish murals may be best enjoyed when blitzed, the time has apparently come for those younger and more desperate than I to carry the torch.

• This place open yet? I seriously need to find some pawned-off camera gear.

...and it's wonderful to see that it'll be so close.

• This mural is terrible! Totally tasteless. Thankfully I don't need to see it on a daily basis. It's unfortunate too because it looked like a victory when they took the "Pawn Shop" sign down from above the laundry. I don't know know which is worse??

• ...and people were worried that it might make the neighborhood feel low-rent...

• It is a rather remarkable artistic achievement (once the content is put aside). I see a bit of Carvaggio in it. The artist trained as an oil painter, and continues to pursue oil painting when he's not working on mural commissions.

• One can even say it's an artistic criticism of materialism...

I wonder what the baby is thinking?

• Before I snapped the picture of the mural above, all I could think was:

"There is nothing worse than unconscious ignorance and conscious stupidity" - Dr. Martin Luther king, Jr

AND

To Rome said Nero: "If to smoke you turn, I shall not cease to fiddle while you burn."

• Thumb to her mouth, the baby looks startled. She has turned away from the spread of bills in her left fist. It's likely that the bills were pushed there since there is no available stack of hundreds in her vicinity from which to take them herself. A baby's developing hands will naturally grasp at what is offered, whether or not she actually wants the proffered object.

The baby gazes upward, and her sight line ignores even the gaudy, glinting ring hovering nearby. Her look is determined. Set down within this material plethora, she is still unsatisfied and looks beyond it. Stacks of benjamins and gold coins, diamond-encrusted rings mean nothing to her. Instead she seeks her blankie, her bottle, Mom and Dad. Material splendor is no substitute for security, physical nourishment, and love.

Yes, I can see it as an artistic criticism of materialism.

• nothing a can of paint cant fix

• I'm kinda disappointed in the owner. If he wanted to really make the point that money rules or that money and materialism is bad, he should have not only had the mural created and named his place "Crow Hill Jewelry", but also figured out a way to use their flyer:

The flyer could have been used in place of the baby's diapers to imply it catching excrement.

The flyer could be depicted as tiny and powerless next to the huge wads of cash.

....or we could have had the baby smoking the flyer in the form of a giant blunt.

http://fedgeno.com/images/random/huge-blunt.jpg

Good victors make it a point to their enemies' symbols.

To make a long story short, I agree, the mural could have been better done. oh well, it isn't that big of a deal.

• who cares?? in my most humble opinion, you guys are being pretty uptight. if the business doesn't belong on franklin ave, it will fail.

and what is tasteless about the the mural? i think it's pretty cool-looking.

• I completely agree Mr. Met.

....but we haven't had a shooting or restaurant opening in a while, so the board is slow.

It is a good time to sell ones one's jewelry and electronics now that the holiday's have arrived.

• I saw it firsthand, for the first time, this morning; I'm not surprised that I walked by it a few times without noticing.

• I second Mr Met.

• A baby in diaper wearing a gold crown sitting on a wad of cash is "pretty cool looking" ?? Wow! I guess there is no accounting for taste.

• Burger King, we said you had to be blitzed or Carvaggio to appreciate it!

pay. attention :)

P.S. Despite thinking the artist missed some key opportunities, I like it because the background is purple. Purple is one of my favorite colors

• What bothers me about the pawnshop is what bothers me about cigarette packaging, wine coolers, and liquor stores. It's impropriety wrapped up in bright colorful packaging.

Many of you 'cool', 'hip', people have framed the idea of this pawnshop in free market terms. It reveals your naivete', and your lack of wisdom. You don't see the damage that a hammer can do. Instead you admire its design, and its dull, greasy gleam.

Wait, and see; watch, and learn.

• MHA wrote:

What bothers me about the pawnshop is what bothers me about cigarette packaging, wine coolers, and liquor stores. It's impropriety wrapped up in bright colorful packaging.

Many of you 'cool', 'hip', people have framed the idea of this pawnshop in free market terms. It reveals your naivete', and your lack of wisdom. You don't see the damage that a hammer can do. Instead you admire its design, and its dull, greasy gleam.

Wait, and see; watch, and learn.

I saw the pawn shop and thought it was silly to protest it's construction. Posts saying lets reach out to local government,illegal zoning cries were off base. The mural is a reflection of the area and the owner. My hope is his lease is competitive and area residents speak with their wallets and he moves his location. Free market terms are the only thing it can be framed ..people tried to impose there will on a business owner which solidified his resolve to succeed. Protesters should spend time researching building permits and codes for the area. Most new business in the area has a high alcohol sales factor in every business plan. People get out of the subway,drink,get loud and drunk,drip and drop things as they stagger back to the train and the area is left with filth,noise and business that caters to non-commmunity building.The lack of schools and churchs in the area have made it ripe for the picking for anybody who wants to open a bar.

Letica James should be trying to figure out why in an area of above 50% blacks why none of the new large start ups and none of the high cash yield existing businesses are black owned? Where is the minority money? She made a fool of herself by listening to people bellyache about building code violations that from her office using google she would have know were BS. Simple grandstanding..and the the long term crime strategy is a lookout post w a sleeping white cop in an ideling car..the other poster who got robbed in the lobby is probably wondering if the idle cops and Letica James helped the crime cause..More bars in the area is not revitalization..

Here's one for you Letica..why not ask the owner of Chavella's why he couldn't just expand his current location? The answer is a safety and building code nightmare that is the empty space between Park Deli and the bodega on the corner of Park and Classen. Real concerns should be fire hazards,safety hazzards..like speeding cars down Classen in front of schools..and a huge influx of impaired visitors to CH/PH and the bottom feeding freaks that thrive off the easy prey.

• Catwalker

The mural is a reflection of the neighborhood? No, I don't think so. And it's Classon!

• There's apparently a meeting to be held tomorrow at 'Launch Pad', a not-for-profit on Franklin Avenue between Sterling and Park Place. I believe the meeting starts at 6:45pm, and will last at least an hour. The objective is to discuss the existence of the pawnshop/jewelry store. I wish I could make it, but unfortunately I won't be in the county.

• Well, I guess the thing to do is to boycott the business; as well as the adjoining laundromat.

• And make others in the community, beyond this board, aware that he is owner of both establishments so that they decide to send the same message or not.

• It's not yet clear to me whether or not the owner of the property is the same person who owns the laundromat -- or if the jewelry store/pawnshop proprietor is a sub-lessor. But, by my logic, as a tenant of an apartment building, if wanted to render the side of the building in some artistic fashion, implicit in the act is that the end result has my landlord's blessing. If the community in which I live takes offense to that, I then weigh my freedom of expression, and my landlord's permissiveness. I don't buy the notion that the landlord, or the laundromat owner can wash his hands (pardon the pun)of the mural. Why should I patronize a merchant whose actions are offensive? In other threads we the online community have discussed where we do and do not shop and the collateral offenses that occur because of the existence of a particular type of business: A manicure-pedicure business creating a toxic cloud of nail polish odors; a bodega selling loose cigarettes/marijuana to minors; a dry cleaning establishment using cancer-causing solvents; a hair salon having wild noisy parties midweek; a club flouting noise regulations, etc. Why is this any different? And I don't write this as someone who doesn't use the laundromat. It's close to home base so therefore very convenient. My decision to no longer do business there is just a drop of spittle in the bucket, but maybe others will follow; spread the word.

• There will be a planned protest of the laundromat and the Thai place as well when they open (same landlord) soon. Stay tuned and definitely spread the word. If nothing else that mural HAS to go!